Thread: I dunno about functions anymore

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default I dunno about functions anymore

Socionics functions are the reverse of the MBTI. I am a dyed in the wool INFJ, but the opposing ideas confuse me. I read somewhere that I can't be INFJ Socionics if I am INFJ MBTI? What is the conceptual basis of that?

Bottom line is that I relate most to the INFJ descriptions of all 16 type descriptions regardless of if it's written by Socionics or MBTI proponents, and each individual letter is quite dominant for me in all the tests I take (except F...I typically score 55 F and 45 T or thereabouts, but my I, N, and J preferences are FIRMLY established).

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The two theories to not directly correlate, so don't waste your time trying to make connections from MBTI to socionics.
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, so what should I consider myself then? What are the central differences? I mentioned scoring strongly in I, N, and J. Doesn't that have meaning per se regardless of the whole lack of correlation between MBTI and Socionics? I plainly am introverted, daydream and conceptualize more than observe concrete happenings, and I am much more organized than spontaneous.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you taken any of the socionics tests? There's quite a few floating around - check the links at the top of this forum, and there are some elsewhere in the threads here.

You probably will score as an INFj (notice the lower case j at the end -- -that designates socionics theory, generally).

This might be somewhat of a shock, but a lot of people have the same question you do when first coming to socionics. You'll figure it out as you go, it's not so bad.

For myself, I usually scored as INTJ, and am INTj in socionics. However, I also scored INTP sometimes, depending on the test, etc. Personally, socionics has a much better dichotomy between 'j' and 'p', but instead of Judging and Perceiving in MBTI, it is 'rational' and 'irrational'.

A really good site, besides this one here, and the people and such, is Rick's site:

Check it out

http://www.socionics.us/
    Rick's Socionics Site
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep, that's why I am here. I've done basic reading, but some of the finer points just need more clarification.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

(see the link in my edited post)

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KhendraINFJ
    Yep, that's why I am here. I've done basic reading, but some of the finer points just need more clarification.

the basic reading of........ what?

PS: I'm out for the night, but I'm sure the others here will do a much better job answering your questions than I. Take care

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Basic readings of Socionics sites.

I took my first Socionics test, BTW:

http://www.socionics.com/sta/sta-1-r.html

E/I choice (E - Extraversion, I - Introversion, x - Undefined)
    Normal mode Reversed mode Combined mode
    I I I

S/N choice (S - Sensation, N - Intuition, x - Undefined)
    N N N

F/T choice (F - Feeling, T - Thinking, x - Undefined)
    F T x

J/P choice (j - Judgement, p - Perception, x - Undefined)
    conscious unconscious conscious unconscious conscious unconscious
    j j j p j x

By preference By function MBTI® Type Dynamics
    INFp Ni,Fe,Ti,Se
    If your type is INFp a.k.a. Intuitive-Ethical Intratim "The Romantic", you are confident and concrete regarding your own beliefs and fantasies, creative and inventive regarding how excited others are about you, delicate and insecure regarding your understanding of how things work, and you wish to have a clear perception and consistency regarding your physical strength or position of authority.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The best way is really to give us a detailed description of yourself, especially of how you interact with others.

As for tests, these two here are very brief and good:

http://www.people.iup.edu/rdxm
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, goody. I plan on giving a detailed description of myself as soon as I am done reading a few things and checking out more tests.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

v 4.1
    Your proposed type is:
    ENFj

v 3.1
    Your proposed type is:
    INFj

hmm

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would say this suggests that you are probably INFj and that your typing as ENFj in the second version is due to a bad definition of the / functions.

But the description would really help most.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More information about you is of course helpful. But let's not forget that this is very strong argument in favour of you being an INFj:

Bottom line is that I relate most to the INFJ descriptions of all 16 type descriptions regardless of if it's written by Socionics or MBTI proponents

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.socionics.com/sta/sta_turbo.html

INFj - "The Empath"
    In a relationship you seek to reveal your great affection and empathy for your partner. You like to observe ethical conduct and aspire to create an ideal relationship between people. You could often be overanxious about your health for seemingly no apparent reason. You are fascinated by people who can demonstrate resourcefulness and efficiency.

All right, that was neat. I'll describe myself now, at last.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay! First off, I have always been quiet and introverted. It is completely natural for me to focus inwardly. I conserve energy for when I really need it. I can analyze and reflect on my interests for hours.

I don't like big, spontaneous gatherings of people, like parties. There is so much going on that it seems chaotic to me. I'd prefer to just talk to someone one-on-one without a bunch of noise and group stuff going on around us.

I'm not very aware of my surroundings; I score poorly on visual-spatial assessments. I didn't get my full driver's license until last year (I am 21). I loathe most parts of geometry. I can tune out the present moment and start reflecting and daydreaming with extreme ease.

I absolutely love words. I prefer written words to talking and pictures.

I love music. I prefer hearing sound to watching film.

I am not good at most sports, but I have an obsessive basketball interest. I love watching and playing it. I also collect basketball cards, which I organize meticulously, sometimes for hours. This is a fun thing for me to do, not a boring tedious chore.

I am not that great with inanimate reasoning. People are of more interest to me than things. While interaction can be taxing, it's worth the effort to learn about people. Life fascinates me. I am not drawn to business, engineering, physics, and most math. They are too impersonal for my preferences.

I need some sort of structure and clear explanations of things. Ambiguity is inevitable, but I desire conclusions; I don't like to leave something open-ended. I am very punctual and have always been good at finishing all my class projects.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This reads more like a MBTI kind of description -- a less "focused" approach to what you are like, and how others perceive you, and - above all - what others do that annoys you the most, or what kind of people you like best, is more helpful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Expat
    This reads more like a MBTI kind of description -- a less "focused" approach to what you are like, and how others perceive you, and - above all - what others do that annoys you the most, or what kind of people you like best, is more helpful.
    I was just describing my most notable traits. These are what I have noticed and what others have noticed. There's no subjectivity or MBTI bias when I mention something like my preference for reflection and flunking a driving test, or preferring words to pictures, etc. !

But anyway, maybe these will work better for you:

How others perceive me / What others do that annoys me the most - insult me for not being 'cool' and attending their large parties, telling me I am too quiet and boring and don't smile enough, saying I am too schmoopy-feely, don't take enough risks, don't have enough fun, focus too much on school and 'smart' things, don't 'network' enough (which I judge as an impersonal way of saying 'I don't kiss @$$' - I prefer DEEP RELATIONSHIPS, not flattering socialites to help me 'climb the corporate ladder' or some BS like that which I couldn't give less than a f___ about)

People I like best - people who don't drone on and on about things uninteresting to me like clothes, fashion, pop culture, money, big houses, etc. People who can think outside of their personal experiences and conceptualize beyond what they have experienced. Folks that try to steer clear from ad hominem bashfests. People who don't have a high maintenance social/fun quotient - if someone has to be wild and drugged out and completely out of control most of the time, I will have NO INTEREST whatsoever in being around them; I'd rather have someone stable and perhaps 'boring' than irresponsible and undevoted

Wow, that kind of reads like a rant in some places

six turnin', four burnin' stevENTj's Avatar
    TIM
    Te-INTp (ILI)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that's better!
    Te-INTp/ILI, my wife: Fi-ISFj/ESI, with laser beam death rays for ESTp/SLEs, lol
    16 years of bliss in an Activity relationship

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol

I can't believe I almost forgot another major annoyance - when folks think technology and science is the ONLY ONLY in life and do obnoxious things like insult 'liberal arts' majors who learn/teach 'fluff' subjects like English and History. Er, understanding humans and language are a CRUCIAL part of human life too, believe it or not.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rants are best for this sort of thing.

Yes I do think you are INFj. Possibly also ISFj but less likely.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People who don't have a high maintenance social/fun quotient - if someone has to be wild and drugged out and completely out of control most of the time, I will have NO INTEREST whatsoever in being around them; I'd rather have someone stable and perhaps 'boring' than irresponsible and undevoted
    Nice example of black and white thinking. Either drugged or a total bore?
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Um, I'm speaking in terms of generalizations.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Um, I'm speaking in terms of generalizations.
    Well there are loads of extraverts that are loud, party but aren't meth addicts. What about them.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't lump all partiers with meth Again, I was making generalizations.