TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How ultra-processed food took over your shopping basket

https://www.theguardian.com/food/202...arlos-monteiro

A somewhat long article going over why it's likely harmful, how people are looking into it, and reasons why it's so hard to not partake.

...I see it as really unfair to poorer populations, who buy these cheaper, tastier food options and then end up both overweight and malnourished at the same time. It takes a certain resolution (plus education) as well as a breadth of resources to eat healthier, and not everyone has those luxuries.
    Oh, to find you in dreams - mixing prior, analog, and never-beens... facts slip and turn and change with little lucidity. except the strong, permeating reality of emotion.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1550 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Secret Life of a Children’s Party Princess

https://narratively.com/secret-life-...arty-princess/

TIM
    Cyberbird
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ON ‘MISERY LOVES COMPANY’

This is one of my favorite articles of all time. Enjoy.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://www.rochester.edu/newscenter...y-know-311002/

The Silurian Hypothesis: How a prehuman advanced civilization could have existed on Earth.

Also, https://www.cambridge.org/core/servi...cal_record.pdf

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1550 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

How an SLE smuggled an ILI out of Japan.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020...escaped-japan?

(The ILI has an SEE wife.) The SLE performs perfectly and still lands in jail because....no foresight.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1550 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Scientists Identify Risk Factor For Vulnerability To Fake News:

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/c...=pocket-newtab

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The main risk factor is being stupid", one scientist said.

TIM
    ESE wannabe
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎

TIM
    ESE wannabe
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DNA of an early Danish woman (~5,700 years old) analysed. Reveals surprising amount of personal information about her. https://www.livescience.com/ancient-...ucts-lola.html

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    524 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Humanist and Actor Christian Bale's Avatar
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1550 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    I'm in no way defending the police's actions, but this part got me thinking:

Police reluctance to report a fellow officer stems from the politicization of police brutality incidents and the widespread perception among police that nobody outside law enforcement understands their dangerous jobs, research shows. Frustrated at being judged by civilians and public officials who don’t face the life-and-death decisions they do, cops tend to close ranks when things go wrong, police monitors find.
    Honestly, if I was a cop in a country where "Fuck the Police" is a commonly-held political view that was also ingrained in pop-culture, and if I was jaded enough after years of dealing with junkies and violence, then I might develop a siege mentality too. Correct me if I'm wrong, but my impression is that there's a universal culture of signalling (or is it virtue-signalling?) support for the troops, whereas the same sort of reflexive, impassioned support for the police falls along more-or-less partisan lines.

There's also the cult of gun ownership and the fetishization of guns in pop culture, which, one would assume, triggers some sort of fight or flight response before every interaction. Again, I'm not defending the actions of police officers, a lot of whom probably belong to that same cult, and a lot of whom are violent individuals in their own right.
    Last edited by xerx; 03-25-2021 at 03:20 AM. Reason: clarified something

Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would be somewhat skeptical that the US military is somehow better than the US police. That article seems to suggest that the US military shows organizational, legal, moral and political superiority over the police.

Quote Originally Posted by xerxe View Post
    I'm in no way defending the police's actions, but this part got me thinking:

Honestly, if I was a cop in a country where "Fuck the Police" is a commonly-held political view that was also ingrained in pop-culture, and if I was jaded enough after years of dealing with junkies and violence, then I might develop a siege mentality too. Correct me if I'm wrong, but my impression is that there's a universal culture of signalling (or is it virtue-signalling?) support for the troops, whereas support for the police falls along more-or-less partisan lines.

There's also the cult of gun ownership and the fetishization of guns in pop culture, which, one would assume, triggers some sort of fight or flight response before every interaction. Again, I'm not defending the actions of police officers, a lot of whom probably belong to that same cult, and a lot of whom are violent individuals in their own right.
    I would think it's the opposite, there's "Fuck the Police" mentality because the police are so terrible. Average citizens of the country don't have to deal with the military troops, so there's less of a complaint there. But then there's the "death to America" view outside of the US. The US military causes problems in foreign countries.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Singu View Post
    I would think it's the opposite, there's "Fuck the Police" mentality because the police are so terrible. Average citizens of the country don't have to deal with the military troops, so there's less of a complaint there. But then there's the "death to America" view outside of the US. The US military causes problems in foreign countries.
    Because I believe that authority goes hand-in-hand with responsibility, and that more responsibility presupposes the obligation to develop a thicker skin, I'm inclined to agree with you that the police shoulder the blame for the current mess.

But power corrupts and draws the corruptible, and those operate freely in an insular culture which evades accountability due to siege mentality. Mass antagonism towards police won't encourage reform (least of all among people whose personality compels adherence to preexisting norms), only the trope of both sides feeding off each other in an ever-strengthening deadlock of mutual loathing.

TIM
    EIE-Ni-H 359
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A different take on a superhero, I s'pose.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vul...ant-penis.html

Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xerxe View Post
    Mass antagonism towards police won't encourage reform (least of all among people whose personality compels adherence to preexisting norms), only the trope of both sides feeding off each other in an ever-strengthening deadlock of mutual loathing.
    Why is it okay for the police to loathe the citizens, but not when it's the other way around? There's something clearly wrong with the people who want to maintain the status quo of the police abusing innocent people.

If the police hold more power and responsibility over people, then clearly the police hold more accountability. If the police can't handle a little heat, then get the fuck out and quit being a cop. The police has a monopoly on violence, so that's to be expected. If the police can't control themselves (or we can't control the police), then the society is doomed and it becomes a police state.