Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

War in Ukraine: How rape has reportedly become a weapon : NPR

Mia Bloom, a professor at Georgia State University and an international security fellow at the think tank New America, says it's important to understand that although rape is a war crime, it is not something that is present in all wars.And danger can come from different directions. In one case noted by The Guardian, a Ukrainian teacher had been dragged into the school library by a Ukrainian soldier who tried to rape her. She reported him to the police and the man was arrested.
    "It's not just a normal part of war. Not all soldiers rape," Bloom tells NPR. Bloom and Cohen are both a part of the Sexual Violence in Armed Conflict project, which collects data on the subject.
    She says because there is variation between conflicts — some have rampant sexual violence, while others have little — there isn't a consistent theory of when and why rape is used in war.

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why the arguments of the 'New Atheists' are often just as violent as religion (theconversation.com)

With the demise of the Soviet Union and a global resurgence of political religion from the 1970s onwards, some authors believed that atheism was in terminal decline. But the early 21st century has witnessed the rise of writers like Dawkins, Harris and Hitchens. They emerged as public intellectuals advancing ferocious attacks on religion as both untrue and uniquely dangerous.
    Harris: Religion is uniquely dangerous, except Buddhism and Raëlism. Know what, by religion I just mean Islam. And if that's what Muslims mean too then oops. Let's torture someone who just happens to look like Osama bin Laden, because Islam is super violent and we must stop it.

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sometimes it's nice to think that reality is the highest order

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's the future Defender of Faith - so why does Prince William only go to church a 'handful' of times a year? | Daily Mail Online

Quote Originally Posted by The Daily Mail, not one to mince words
    Prince Charles, despite his interest in other faiths, particularly Islam, has always been a regular churchgoer.

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIM
    ILI-Ni sp/sx
    Mentioned
    293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

This is getting rather hard to make it all gel with this site but I'd argue that you've yet again failed to negate my position..

====.

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by End View Post
    This is getting rather hard to make it all gel with this site but I'd argue that you've yet again failed to negate my position..

====.
    Yes, bacon is healthy and Jesus definitely told everyone to eat bacon in remembrance of him. He wasn't a Jewish guy or anything and bacon isn't actually terrible for you or gross to anyone who isn't suffering a fat deficiency.

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Islamophobia: Understanding Anti-Muslim Sentiment in the West (gallup.com)

"We are a Christian nation! Except for the Jews and the Buddhists and the atheists! Well, we're really just a non-Muslim nation, because Muslims are so misogynistic with their female Prime Ministers in headscarves! Everyone knows feminism means being a stripper, not becoming Prime Minister or President! And even though men often wear headscarves that usually look different, it's totally wrong when women do it! I love women, those boobs and voluptuous buttocks! Plus women make real good ham sandwiches! Horribly oppressed Prime Ministers and Presidents in those Muslim countries. Now let's support the local Catholic deacon, who is... a pedo, never mind. How about James Randi who is... also a pedo, never mind. Well, I'm still going to tell the sheikh who's apparently the only guy who's not a pedo to go away, that should fix things! I support the troops, they have shot all the terrorists while they were engaging in terrorist training activities by playing Pokémon Go near a hospital. You see, 15-year-olds putting Moltres in the Team Valor arena are doing it as a threat because they're from Iraq and that's just Iraqi culture. Those 15-year olds really hate us for mysterious reasons playing Pokémon Go near a hospital, it's not because we bombed their 5-year-old brother and killed their mom or anything. Also Jesus spoke English, he wouldn't have called God Allah. Screw mudslimes, Dante put violent colonialist militarists like Muhammed Ali in Hell for a reason, bet it stings like a bee down there!"

...On off days, everything looks like a veiled effort by Western countries to kill Muslims which they shouldn't be doing even if Muslims were wrong about religion, though that raises the question of why focus on Muslims. On a good day, it doesn't even seem particularly well-concealed: Western countries have just decided to focus all their effort on killing Muslims despite some of their founders' extremely positive views. I should not scratch any conflict essentially and see that every single time. Why do I? Every. Time. Almost like the purpose of Western countries is just to crusade against Muslims (including in their own borders, which is now accomplished exactly through accusing them of "cultural appropriation" for... believing a religion while white and/or male.) It always looks almost exactly like the things the religion itself says are true. The fact that most of the other religions have issues much worse than someone getting mad and stabbing Salman Rushdie who was trying to make people mad anyways (e.g. Catholic Church and pedophilia) doesn't help. Ah, yes, "I will risk life and limb to make people mad!" There are a lot of people besides some Muslims who will attack public figures who try to make people mad, though. So that just gets back to why the news only reports on random acts of violence by angry people when the person who does it self-identifies as Muslim but tries to completely cover up, say, the Black Lives Matter riots.

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

This sounds like an old story, but there's new weight to a disregarded theory and possibly tells us that Nefertiti was a pharaoh before Tutankhamun.

Tutankhamun’s burial chamber may contain door to Nefertiti’s tomb

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

e-arthistory: DANTE's place in Michelangelo's heaven (e-arthistory5.blogspot.com)

All of Michelangelo's revisions of Dante's view of life after death reveal Michelangelo's desire to show that his heaven is more compassionate than that of the earlier poet. His revision of Dante's description of the afterlife is radical. The poet does not look very happy in this portrait; perhaps the painter also imagines Dante's response to the artist's revision. The artist reaches back into history to find a worthy critic for his work, then defends his own vision with painted bodies next to his best critic's portrait.

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The “Hardcore” Russian Neo-Nazi Group That Calls Ukraine Home - bellingcat

...While I don't know much about this source, it would not surprise me if the Ukraine war were also mostly a ploy by Satanists to try to get Satan's attention, as most news events seem to be.

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right-wing-extremism-in-the-military-1.pdf (icct.nl)

“I found working with the military to be highly influenced by current politics and world affairs. During peacetime, the Army and Navy seemed concerned as to the background and affiliations of their service men and women whereas during war those concerns were reversed. Many times, during the early years of the Iraqi [sic] and Afghanistan wars I was told that if those kinds of individuals liked killing then what’s wrong with them killing for Uncle Sam to which I always replied I guess they could rape, steal and sell dope for Uncle Sam as well.”

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The mind is restless and difficult to restrain, but it is subdued by practice

-Krishna

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Triggered! As a Video Game Playing Loser , I reply with:

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    525 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Virginia Woolf: On Not Knowing Greek

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FreelancePoliceman View Post
    Virginia Woolf: On Not Knowing Greek
    I think we do know Greek. I don't think things like that become a mystery. Was there ever just one Greek? There were dialects, high and low pronunciations, jargons, creoles, and loanwords. My English isn't your English and I doubt one Ancient Greek's Greek was another's. Never mind that Modern Greek very much exists, even though we know it's different than any form of Ancient Greek. We know it's different than any form of Ancient Greek because we can look at Modern Greek and Ancient Greek and see that they're different.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    525 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Coeruleum Blue;[URL="tel:1538719"
    1538719[/URL]]I think we do know Greek. I don't think things like that become a mystery. Was there ever just one Greek? There were dialects, high and low pronunciations, jargons, creoles, and loanwords. My English isn't your English and I doubt one Ancient Greek's Greek was another's. Never mind that Modern Greek very much exists, even though we know it's different than any form of Ancient Greek. We know it's different than any form of Ancient Greek because we can look at Modern Greek and Ancient Greek and see that they're different.
    Did you read the article? She wasn't talking just about pronunciation, but other reasons why it was difficult to appreciate and relate to the drama of 5th century BCE Athens in 20th century CE Britain.
    Last edited by FreelancePoliceman; 10-25-2022 at 02:29 PM.

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FreelancePoliceman View Post
    Did you read the article? She wasn't talking just about pronunciation, but other reasons why it was difficult to appreciate and relate to the drama of 5th century BCE Athens in 20th century CE Britain.
    No, because I don't really like Virginia Woolf as an author and always get bored writing things she reads. But if she's just saying it's difficult to appreciate rather than it's impossible to understand, "we don't know Greek" seems like a vast overstatement.