Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 142021222324
Results 921 to 957 of 957

Thread: Interesting articles thread

  1. #921
    Adam Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Midwest, USA
    TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Posts
    5,410
    Mentioned
    666 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    ^This is an interesting article.

    One of the smartest guys I ever knew had manic depression, which is similar to schizophrenia, and it was triggered when he met this woman who was a free spirit, and he followed her back to her home in one of the Nordic countries, where she basically dumped him. He had his first manic episode at that time, then he returned to the States, took up drinking huge amounts of coffee and smoking cigarettes basically continuously.
    He continued to have manic episodes periodically for the rest of his life.

    Brilliant guy.

  2. #922
    kalinoche's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    3,064
    Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    honest labor needs no master

    Nothing good is a miracle, nothing lovely is a dream.

    Επί πάντων μέμνησο τα έσχατά σου, και ου μη αμαρτήσης

  3. #923

  4. #924
    Distortion Cybernetic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    TIM
    FLVE
    Posts
    163
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The great Zen master Zhuang Zhou dreamt that he was a butterfly. When he awoke, he asked himself, "Am I a man who just dreamt about being a butterfly, or am I a butterfly who now dreams about being a man?"

  5. #925

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    3,324
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cybernetic View Post
    Nobody had ever "seen" a blackhole before, and yet people have perfectly predicted the existence of it, and also in the exact way that they thought it would.

    It goes to show that we don't necessarily "observe" something first, and then we make a summarization or an analysis of it. Instead, we make a prediction first by coming up with theories and hypotheses.

    You could say that this has "confirmed" the Einstein's theory of Relativity, or you could (more accurately) say that this was just yet another test that didn't prove Relativity wrong, while it has proved all the other countless theories wrong.

    I think the truly amazing thing about this is that human ingenuity can accurately know things about this universe that we have never even seen or been to.

    How can we know about things that we have even yet to experience?

  6. #926
    Adam Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Midwest, USA
    TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Posts
    5,410
    Mentioned
    666 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Singu View Post
    Nobody had ever "seen" a blackhole before, and yet people have perfectly predicted the existence of it, and also in the exact way that they thought it would.

    It goes to show that we don't necessarily "observe" something first, and then we make a summarization or an analysis of it. Instead, we make a prediction first by coming up with theories and hypotheses.

    You could say that this has "confirmed" the Einstein's theory of Relativity, or you could (more accurately) say that this was just yet another test that didn't prove Relativity wrong, while it has proved all the other countless theories wrong.

    I think the truly amazing thing about this is that human ingenuity can accurately know things about this universe that we have never even seen or been to.

    How can we know about things that we have even yet to experience?
    Here is a discussion of the reasoning of the men who first came up with the concept of "black holes".

    http://adsbit.harvard.edu//full/2009...00090.000.html

  7. #927
    kalinoche's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    3,064
    Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    honest labor needs no master

    Nothing good is a miracle, nothing lovely is a dream.

    Επί πάντων μέμνησο τα έσχατά σου, και ου μη αμαρτήσης

  8. #928
    Haikus Subteigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    TIM
    Enlightened
    Posts
    16,352
    Mentioned
    299 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

    Default

    BTS become first Korean artists to top UK chart

    "South Korean boyband BTS have landed their first ever UK number one album with the philosophy-inspired Map of the Soul: Persona."

  9. #929
    Haikus Subteigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    TIM
    Enlightened
    Posts
    16,352
    Mentioned
    299 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

  10. #930

  11. #931
    Haikus Subteigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    TIM
    Enlightened
    Posts
    16,352
    Mentioned
    299 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

  12. #932

  13. #933

  14. #934
    Muddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Interior of a T-34
    Posts
    2,434
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

  15. #935
    Muddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Interior of a T-34
    Posts
    2,434
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

  16. #936
    Raver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Posts
    4,850
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

    Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

  17. #937
    kalinoche's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    3,064
    Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    honest labor needs no master

    Nothing good is a miracle, nothing lovely is a dream.

    Επί πάντων μέμνησο τα έσχατά σου, και ου μη αμαρτήσης

  18. #938
    miss BabyDoll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    TIM
    LSI-se
    Posts
    383
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ipsa scientia potestas est-adaequatio intellectus et rei

  19. #939

  20. #940
    Ni! coeruleum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    820
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Here's what postmodernists really believe for you. It's a Marxist version of fascism where they want to loose the blood-dimmed tide of madness on civilization. I'll have to do posts on cultural Marxism/intersectionality too, but cultural Marxism is a lot shallower issue that needs less explaining in general once you understand postmodern Marxist-fascism. This is the official bright state ideology. When I say it'd be far worse than Communism or Nazism this is why.

    The Enlightenment Gone Mad (I) The Dismal Discourse of Postmodernism’s Grand Narratives
    The Enlightenment Gone Mad (II) The Dismal Discourse of Postmodernism’s Grand Narratives

  21. #941
    Ni! coeruleum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    820
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Here are the two best ones on cultural Marxism I've found. The first is a right-wing economic site but it has lots and lots of outside sources, and the second one is a good summary of the information on the first minus the Bible preaching part that has nothing to do with cultural Marxism. Cultural Marxism is basically just a very loaded term for the Frankfurt School's theory of intersectional oppression and hating "dead white males" and other People of Privilege. It really does mean wanting to overthrow Western civilization and it is something people subscribe to and it leaks into the mainstream of people who don't want to overthrow Western civilization and generally think Frankfurt School ideas are atrocious all the time.

    Cultural Marxism Is Real
    What is cultural Marxism?

  22. #942
    Muddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Interior of a T-34
    Posts
    2,434
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

  23. #943
    FreelancePoliceman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Maizistan
    TIM
    LII
    Posts
    325
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by coeruleum View Post
    Here are the two best ones on cultural Marxism I've found. The first is a right-wing economic site but it has lots and lots of outside sources, and the second one is a good summary of the information on the first minus the Bible preaching part that has nothing to do with cultural Marxism. Cultural Marxism is basically just a very loaded term for the Frankfurt School's theory of intersectional oppression and hating "dead white males" and other People of Privilege. It really does mean wanting to overthrow Western civilization and it is something people subscribe to and it leaks into the mainstream of people who don't want to overthrow Western civilization and generally think Frankfurt School ideas are atrocious all the time.

    Cultural Marxism Is Real
    What is cultural Marxism?
    Sigh. Cultural Marxism is a literal conspiracy theory that's been debunked again and again. It's telling you couldn't find any sources apart from a far-right "Libertarian" website and a right-wing evangelical Christian website. It has its roots in Nazis' accusations of "cultural Bolshevism" -- the idea that there are these intellectual Soviet spies working in the shadows to destroy the cultural basis of Aryan society. Now uh I guess the Soviets aren't around, so it's become a nebulous "Marxism." For Marxists are of course working to undermine the family, feminize boys, and send white men to the gulag, all as Marx directed his followers in his seminal work Das Kapital, which was dedicated to exposing the workings of heteronormative white male privilege.

    Also.

    It's a Marxist version of fascism
    I find it really interesting when self-styled opponents to "postmodernism" deny that words must have any commonly-understood meaning.
    Last edited by FreelancePoliceman; 07-11-2019 at 10:40 PM.
    He has told you, o man, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your god?

  24. #944
    Ni! coeruleum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    820
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FreelancePoliceman View Post
    Sigh. Cultural Marxism is a literal conspiracy theory that's been debunked again and again. It's telling you couldn't find any sources apart from a far-right "Libertarian" website and a right-wing evangelical Christian website. It has its roots in Nazis' accusations of "cultural Bolshevism" -- the idea that there are these intellectual Soviet spies working in the shadows to destroy the cultural basis of Aryan society. Now uh I guess the Soviets aren't around, so it's become a nebulous "Marxism." For Marxists are of course working to undermine the family, feminize boys, and send white men to the gulag, all as Marx directed his followers in his seminal work Das Kapital, which was dedicated to exposing the workings of heteronormative white male privilege.

    Also.



    I find it really interesting when self-styled opponents to "postmodernism" deny that words must have any commonly-understood meaning.
    No, the Frankfurt School was a real group of people who thought that the proletariat was oppressed by their culture and wanted to overthrow it. It's just Marxism with culture instead of only economics. It's not a conspiracy.

    Also, a Marxist version of fascism is simple. You combine the idea that the oppressed must overthrow their oppressors in class warfare with syndicalism, the denial of truth, and the denial of the idea of a separate self. It's simply the worst of fascism combined with the worst of Marxism. Perhaps it's not technically either system, but it's a mix of both with nothing new except Lacanian psychoanalysis and analytic philosophy which are not politically-oriented.

    Thanks for reminding me that the Internet is full of people who don't know things and I should stay away from it before I turn into one. I'd rather live in a world of awe and sublime trembling, of conquering enemies, of great triumphs, of works of genius, of visceral intensity pushing us beyond ourselves, than one of everyone being smiley with exactly three bowls of pudding per day and a number stamped on them because names are not egalitarian.

  25. #945

  26. #946
    FreelancePoliceman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Maizistan
    TIM
    LII
    Posts
    325
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Your article is written by a literal propagandist. If you’re really interested in understanding the definition of socialist, you might try asking one.

    You’re the only one of us unfamiliar with the Frankfurt School. You might find its Wikipedia page illuminating. Especially the section labeled “Cultural Marxism Conspiracy Theory.” (Let me guess your response: Wikipedia is run by communists, and any academically respected authors are basically Mao.)

    As to your word salad: you really have no understanding what Marxism, or even syndicalism, or – anything, really, is. Maybe pick up a book when you’re free? I can recommend a few.
    He has told you, o man, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your god?

  27. #947
    Ni! coeruleum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    820
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FreelancePoliceman View Post
    Your article is written by a literal propagandist. If you’re really interested in understanding the definition of socialist, you might try asking one.

    You’re the only one of us unfamiliar with the Frankfurt School. You might find its Wikipedia page illuminating. Especially the section labeled “Cultural Marxism Conspiracy Theory.” (Let me guess your response: Wikipedia is run by communists, and any academically respected authors are basically Mao.)

    As to your word salad: you really have no understanding what Marxism, or even syndicalism, or – anything, really, is. Maybe pick up a book when you’re free? I can recommend a few.
    Wikipedia is trash and it isn't academically respected. You can use it for certain things like finding out what the Dorian mode is in a pinch, but that's it. Stop taking "people jerk off to what I say on the Internet" to mean "my opinion is so smart, S-M-R-T."

    I think you should pick up a book. Shakespeare and Zora Neale Hurston are both great choices. Then, you might have something you want in life instead of just things to complain about.

  28. #948
    Ni! coeruleum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    820
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Oh, and by the way, I do think there is a certain amount of truth behind cultural Marxism, but it isn't intersectional oppression nonsense. I think people get trapped in their Umwelt and that keeps them down where they don't want to be. Most people's Umwelt doesn't have much to do with "the canon" or "male dominance" or whatever.

  29. #949

  30. #950
    miss BabyDoll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    TIM
    LSI-se
    Posts
    383
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ipsa scientia potestas est-adaequatio intellectus et rei

  31. #951
    Ni! coeruleum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    820
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Here's an excellent article to help good people in life and to offend the people who think that my comment that a lot of ultra-lazy and annoying people use Frankfurt School ideas as an excuse not to read whichever authors they don't like is a Nazi conspiracy theory:

    The Upper Middle Class Is Ruining America

    People who like Žižek and Jordan Peterson, you're the spearhead of the problem.

  32. #952
    Carolus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    North Carolina
    TIM
    EIE 4w5 sx/so
    Posts
    677
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    remember when postmodernism meant Pynchon or Borges instead of a catch-all term for things that are bad?

  33. #953
    Ni! coeruleum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    820
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Carolus View Post
    remember when postmodernism meant Pynchon or Borges instead of a catch-all term for things that are bad?
    To be fair, I don't think Žižek and Jordan Peterson are postmodernists, just people aping postmodernism that the upper middle class like because it helps them pretend to have a higher class status to try to be less precarious and gain wealth and influence without actually abandoning their middle-class values. There's a nearly 100% correlation between liking faux postmodernists like this, and being a lousy prick who can't ever get what you want.

  34. #954
    Ni! coeruleum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    820
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    The Real Problems With Psychiatry

    Now I'm just waiting for the writers and publishers of The Atlantic to get hauled off to a gulag and chained to a metal table to be shocked by a guy who looks like Sigmund Freud's weird nephew until their brains drip out of their eyes like a Halloween novelty squishy toy.

  35. #955
    Carolus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    North Carolina
    TIM
    EIE 4w5 sx/so
    Posts
    677
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by coeruleum View Post
    To be fair, I don't think Žižek and Jordan Peterson are postmodernists, just people aping postmodernism that the upper middle class like because it helps them pretend to have a higher class status to try to be less precarious and gain wealth and influence without actually abandoning their middle-class values. There's a nearly 100% correlation between liking faux postmodernists like this, and being a lousy prick who can't ever get what you want.
    I was saying that postmodernism was a literary movement, one that ended in the 90s.

  36. #956
    Ni! coeruleum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    820
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Apparently the main driver of climate change by far is foodaholism. Foodaholism is clearly behind the lack of higher culture in America too, though I don't think this is going to convince any of the foodaholics here to stop being foodaholics.

    How Does Agriculture Change Our Climate?

  37. #957

Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 142021222324

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •