Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is Wrong With Dissections? - Scientific American Blog Network

Now, you might say, Rob, you are confusing things. At the end of the dark ages we were ignorant about the body. Simple measurements could produce new knowledge. Now we understand the body. Of course, there is that difference. You are right, or you would be except that we still don’t understand the bodies of animals all that well. The function of the appendix is under new scrutiny. The stomach too. In fact, when it comes to basic morphology, the sorts of things that can be measured by preoccupied students in large classes, we haven’t made that much progress in the last hundred years (This is where you, as the reader, cue in on your favorite exception to my sweeping generalization and then go on to mention it in the comments section). How and why do intestines vary among individuals? How frequent are different deformations of particular organs. Are there tradeoffs between investment in one organ and in another? How frequent are rare mutations in the bodies of cats, pigs or even humans, mutations that we still don’t understand very well at all. Such mutations are hard to study because of their very rarity, but we dissect so many pigs, cats and other animals that even something that turns up in just one in a million animals turns up somewhere in some class each year. What else could be studied? I’m sure you can think of obvious features I am missing. The point is there are discoveries right beneath students as they look up at their teaching assistants or teachers, but we are training them to ignore them, to see the general story at the expense of the truth.
    Image 2. Evidence of Michelangelo's hard work paying attention during the dissections he performed.
    I was going to end there but then I remembered the one place, the only place in which students are actually taught to pay attention to the bodies they see before them, art classes. In figure drawings classes a naked man or woman stands in front of a room of students and is observed, drawn, piece by piece. We could learn something from these art students and their teachers. Ironically, the same was also true at the end of the dark ages, when, long before the scientists began to pay attention to bodies, the artists did. The artists had to, they were charged by their instructors with portraying truths in contrast to the science students who were (and are) charged only with portraying what is already known.

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why the Casio F-91W Watch Is Often Linked to Al-Qaeda and Terrorism (vice.com)

I found the terrorist WATCH list. I'll see myself out...

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Four Gold Hats: A Bronze Age Mystery – World History et cetera

A 2002 article from the London Telegraph describes the gold cones as “hats of ancient wizards.” At first this may sound ridiculous but when you examine the possible function of the hats, the “wizard” label starts to make sense. At first the hats look like mere decoration, or maybe even ceremonial objects, and that is precisely what they were thought to be until recently. Now, researchers think that the gold hats, and especially the Berlin gold hat, served as lunar and solar calendars. It has been calculated that the Berlin Gold Hat displays a period of up to 57 months. So if this theory proves valid, then calling those wearing or using the hats “wizards,” is appropriate. What else would one be called in the Bronze Age, but a wizard, who could demonstrate a knowledge of periods of time, seasons, and lunar, and solar cycles?

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Second-Order Recursions of First-Order Cybernetics: An “Experimental Epistemology” (degruyter.com)

Cybernetics today is imperceptibly prevalent in such areas in service of great economic activity, but it seems to me that because of such technical success, its epistemological groundwork has been relegated to a largely forgotten branch of social sciences and humanities. Its technological possibilities propagate in popular imagination and widespread usage, yet this creativity fails to extend into a recursive understanding of its own values and contexts, its epistemic–ethical considerations.

With this context in mind, this article will refocus “cybernetics” not so much as an applicable tool for scientific and technological advancement, but as an experimental epistemology with its own distinct set of concepts located within and alongside an intricate history of turbulence. I wish to understand how a theory, first developed from wartime epistemology, then consolidated with the intention for cross-disciplinary scientific understanding, in turn produced a form of actionability so effective in its adaptability that it can redefine the question of knowledge. Cybernetic knowledge does not immediately point to a recursive process of understanding its own values, but functions as the accumulation of knowledge for the processing power of prediction. It seems to me that long after obtaining second-order knowledge of cybernetics, we continue to produce first-order applications of control and domination. At odds with the content of its ideas, which cannot include itself in its own scope and must be made at a level of learning higher than the ideas to which it refers, I argue that cybernetics exists in a state of contradiction when faced with the difficulty of integrating the “hard” sciences with economic-social concerns and influencing “soft” social sciences with knowledge about physical data. By organizing this article into three parts, each section outlining the context, parameters, and mythology of cybernetics, respectively, I hope to develop an understanding of cybernetics as a form of actionability requiring a recursive adjustment of learning, including but not limited to a process of redefining its own historical conventions.
    This is a more modern discussion of the aspect of socionics that people seem to forget in favor of only wanting to look at Jung, even though this was the part that interested me personally or I'd have favored Jung over socionics in the first place.

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blood test detects prions | Lab Animal (nature.com)

Proof blood contains prions. Bone also contains prions so don't eat gelatin either. Not eating brains goes without question. Unless you're a vampire, zombie, or ghoul, don't eat blood, brains, or bone. Maybe monsters are caused by prions...

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Taking Lyotard to Church: Metanarratives | Stumbling Through Theology (wordpress.com)

Apparently, postmodernism isn't actually bad for religion, that's just Ben Shapiro and Jordan Peterson.

On a related topic, we ought to stop insulting cults by comparing socionics to them.

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why the Christian Narrative Is Not a "Metanarrative" (thegospelcoalition.org)

This one is also really Christianity-centric, even more than that one, but we all know what Christianity says, so it's a great example of something that's not a metanarrative that everyone can understand regardless of what you think about it.

Socionics is not a cult, but it wishes it were.

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Modernism and Science Fiction | Modernism / Modernity Print+ (modernismmodernity.org)

It seems to me that you are grasping ideas that I have tried to express, much more fumblingly, in fiction. But you have gone much further and I can't help envying you—as one does those who reach what one has aimed at.
    Virginia Woolf, letter to SF author Olaf Stapledon, 1937[1]
    This cluster takes as its theme the entwinement of modernisms and science fiction, alternative and counterstories, against a planetary backdrop. One is a mode of cultural production that in its early years frequently positioned itself as a consciously elitist pursuit, which only those with the most advanced knowledge and understanding would appreciate, and the other is modernism.
    Badum tish.

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Subscriber-exclusive content" (though I could probably find a way around it)

TIM
    H 694 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Coeruleum Blue View Post
    "Subscriber-exclusive content" (though I could probably find a way around it)
    Sorry, I haven't noticed that. I can read those articles find and I'm not a subscriber so

https://aeon.co/ideas/how-playing-wi...an-set-us-free

"In Culture and Value (1977), Wittgenstein admits: ‘How hard I find it to see what is right in front of my eyes.’ All too often, he says, we miss the obvious. That which is close is the most difficult to see for what it is. When we use words, we partake of everyday understandings and carryings-on."

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Russia Fears Western Psychic Attacks (foreignpolicy.com)

...This has to be one of the strangest things I've read in a while, but I can't fault the Russians for believing the US is run by Nazi Satanists who are orchestrating the war in Ukraine because, well, all evidence says that the US is run by Nazi Satanists. Ironically, the main people keeping track of this nowadays are left-wing sources such as Vice and Bellingcat who are more alarmed by the "Nazi" part than the "Satanist" part, however, it's gotten to the point where even Tucker Carlson of Fox News is alarmed by the Satanist slideshow presentations advocating for COVID vaccines and similar things. Additionally, there are documented ties between American Satanist groups and various other Satanist groups abroad, especially in Ukraine but also connections with many folkist neopagan groups such as Turkey's Grey Wolves. Russians are almost certainly right about needing to "de-Nazify" Ukraine.

However, the implication of widespread American psychic attacks? Where does this come from? I doubt Americans are sitting around in masse engaging in “psycho-corrective games,” “computer psi-viruses,” and “chemical and biological” psychological influence. Wait, wait... isn't one of the most popular books in America The Secret by Rhonda Byrne, widely promoted on Oprah? There's no need for Americans to self-categorize what they're engaging in with this sophisticated terminology, when all they need is for Oprah and her lackeys to tell them to imagine a computer getting bathed in a sickly green light and flashing then infecting other machines to mess them up just like Emerson, Einstein, and da Vinci purportedly would've done and trying to do it to the cue of every Ukraine flag they see on Reddit, Tumblr, and TikTok.

Even if this were nonsense, it's quite easy to see where the concerns would originate from. So dag nabbit, Russians are probably not particularly paranoid about this, either, when Americans really are the ones trying to coordinately attack Russia en masse with their minds (albeit not particularly intelligently) and engaging in propaganda against their own children ('Psychocorrection, as best I can tell, is a pseudoscience meant to “correct” the development of young children, often using toys, and may include experimental psychology. Its utility for officials being targeted by foreign psychics is questionable.')

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Addressing the Satanic, Mystical Aspect of Nazism - Opinion - Haaretz.com

This is one of the first organizations to really pay attention to this. It's a Jewish newspaper. I haven't been posting this so widely since I felt like being interested in cults was kind of just a hobby for me and other people who like to freak themselves out and get bored of badly-made horror movies, but if it's relevant to current politics it doesn't matter if other people enjoy reading shocking stuff or not, it's real and important. And you've got to like reading occult thrillers and scary stories, how can you not?

It doesn't matter how capital-S Skeptical you are, this is what they believe and it's an important influence on their actions and on neo-Nazis in the present day.

@Coeruleum Blue I read it is israeli, not Jewish

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kalinoche buenanoche View Post
    @Coeruleum Blue I read it is israeli, not Jewish
    Well, I don't think those are mutually exclusive. If they use Hebrew and not Arabic I think of it as Jewish. However, Israeli might have been more specific.

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Muslim group demands Hamline University reinstate professor fired for showing image of Muhammad | Fox News

Republicans realize Muslims aren't insane. You know what that means: it's time to go back to fighting the Nazis and communists like sane people!

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

******'s Influence in the US Was Greater Than You May Think | Time

To be fair to America, you can't have too high standards for people who enjoyed goose-stepping themselves.

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Riley and Bunny together forever HicksHawking 14Raptor19's Avatar
    Macroverse MtBattle ScholarsGarden Halloween1993 SuperNexus InfinitiesUltimate AllSpectraEverywhere
    TIM
    RayquazaRaichuArceus
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Acentric Labyrinth: Giordano Bruno's Prelude to Contemporary Cosmology

I The infinite universe:

1 The universe is infinite.
    2 It is infinite because it has no borders or limits, neither does it have a surface, and hence neither circumference nor figure.
    3 The universe has no center.
    4 Space is an homogeneous and infinite continuum.
    5 The ether is identical with the void or absolute space. Thus, so understood, the void is not impossible. There is interplanetary and interstellar space (or void). The universe is not solid. The heavenly bodies are not in a vacuum, but in this medium called ether; this is their only universal ‘place’. There are no absolute voids or perfect vacuums in the universe, nor outside of it.
    6 The universe is one single whole.
    7 The infinite universe does not need an external motor to move it. In itself it is immovable, since there is nothing else it can move towards or go away from; however, everything in it is in constant motion.
    8 From the infinite universe new abundance of matter is always born.
    9 The universe is homogeneous and isotropic; there is no hierarchy in cosmic matter resulting from its relative distance from the human observer on Earth; the universe looks the same from wherever in the universe an observer may look at it. All heavenly bodies are made of the same elements and have similar composition, consistency, and structure. Neither the sun nor the Earth have any cosmological privileges over other heavenly bodies in the infinite universe. There is no essential difference between the sublunar the supralunar world.
    10 Motion is universal. All heavenly bodies are endowed with several kinds of movement, and none of them is perfectly regular.
    11 The universe had no beginning in time; it will have no end either; it is eternal.
    12 There is no absolute time. In the universe, the number of times correspond to the number of celestial bodies.
    13 The material universe consists of space, ether, atoms, and light.
    14 Light is not made up of atoms.

II The innumerable worlds:

15 There are innumerable, indeed infinite, suns and planets in the universe.
    16 These innumerable suns and planets are in themselves finite.
    17 Heavenly bodies move freely in space. The celestial vault or firmament – the ultimate sphere of fixed stars equidistant from the Earth – is an illusion. All heavenly bodies have in themselves their own immanent principle of movement (soul); they are automotive and animated; they do not need to be pushed or pulled by other bodies; their source of movement is internal vigor, not external impulse (mechanical push or pull).
    18 The Sun is a star and the stars are suns. They are not made up exclusively of fire, but of the same elements that make up the Earth as well as all other celestial bodies.
    19 The Sun, like all heavenly bodies, moves; it revolves around its center.
    20 Besides the visible planets, there may be other invisible ones rotating around the Sun which we cannot see because of their distance or size.
    21 There are probably other planetary orbits around other suns besides our own solar ones.
    22 The farther the planets are from the Sun, the longer are their orbits, and the longer their orbits, the slower they move around the Sun.
    23 The Earth is a planet not unlike many others in the universe. It moves freely in space, and is not a perfect sphere.
    24 There are probably living beings in other worlds.

III The soul of the universe:

25 The universe is one because it has one single immanent principle that holds all its parts together, just as the human soul is the one single principle that holds together and interrelates all parts of the body. It is the soul of the universe.
    26 The soul of the universe must be conceived as the principle and substance of the universe, although its true nature is extremely difficult to grasp.
    27 The universal soul is found in everything, and there is no corpuscle, however tiny, that is not animated by it.
    28 The universal soul is able to produce all from all.

IV The universal intellect:

29 There is order in the universe; this order is not the result of chance, as the atomists would have it, but rather the effect of an efficient cause, the universal intellect. The universal intellect is the only single immanent principle of organized complexity in the universe: Mind, God, Being, the One, Truth, Fate, Reason, Order.
    30 The agent that governs, orders, and directs everything in the universe is the intellect of the soul of the universe; the intellect is not only the formal cause and principle of the universe, but its efficient cause as well.
    31 The efficient cause of the universe, the universal intellect, must also be conceived as the final cause of the universe, for it may be conceived as having an infinite (not transcendentally pre-established) purpose, namely that all possible forms of matter it contains can be actualized, for it must become everything that it can possibly become. It so strives to achieve perfection through a full ‘explication’ or unfolding.
    32 The universe is not complete and perfect; the infinite universe is open and therefore can never reach perfect completion.

V Matter and form:

33 Matter and form, the passive and the active metaphysical principles of all physical reality, are inseparable, infinite, eternal, and indestructible.
    34 Matter is divine and animated from within by the equally divine formal principle.
    35 All the individual forms existing in the universe are not received by matter from outside, but all proceed from the infinitely fecund bosom of matter animated by one single form, which is the soul of the universe.
    36 The One (universal intellect or a cosmic mind) effects an infinity of forms out of uncreated matter throughout eternity. There was never a single act of creation that produced, out of nothing, a complete and perfect universe of immutable forms.
    37 All the infinite different forms in the universe are subject to constant transformations. All forms on Earth are incessantly changing into other forms, and all bodies in the universe are equally transmutable and susceptible to incessant changes.
    38 In the universe, only space and ether are continua; the rest are either discrete, perfectly solid, indivisible atoms, or the bodies of such atoms. The atoms are the most elementary particles of matter.
    39 Matter comprehends a lot more than atoms; it includes ether and light as well.
    40 Atoms are automotive and animated, that is, they have in themselves the principles of movement (they have ‘souls’). Their movements produce infinite combinations which settle down to innumerable forms.
    Chinese Fortune Cookie ~ A fair face may fade, but a beautiful soul lasts forever. Lucky Numbers - 53, 10, 29, 14, 1, 21
    Marius Florin aka LeoSuperCluster as Raging Bolt the Raikou number 1021 and SolitaryWalker brought glory to the years of Silver and forged Pichu, wisdom of force and flair to exhibit dinosaur questing pointers electrocuting cinema and blueprints of emporiums to undertow flows jungle tossing galaxy spanning shivers of essence gems and portals of roads to destruction and arboretums folding castles and swordsmanship of dreams and counters to pleasant vibrations and holy water sprouting evanescent stars and puzzles of grades to saffron climax
    https://www.the16types.info/vbulleti...k-2024-edition

Process epistemology in the COVID-19 era: rethinking the research process to avoid dangerous forms of reification

https://link.springer.com/article/10...94-022-00450-4

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)