Thread: Interesting articles thread

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apparently the main driver of climate change by far is foodaholism. Foodaholism is clearly behind the lack of higher culture in America too, though I don't think this is going to convince any of the foodaholics here to stop being foodaholics.

How Does Agriculture Change Our Climate?

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hate to break it to feminists, but ‘white male privilege’ is a myth

Identity politics doesn’t totally smother class considerations, however; it helps to facilitate a new, PC version of class hatred. The bile spat by feminists and others at certain white men — the uncouth, most derided ones — is really old-fashioned loathing for the lower orders dolled up as a radical stand against ‘male privilege’. When university students or media-based identity obsessives crow about drinking ‘white male tears’, they behave like modern-day Marie Antoinettes, laughing in the face of the less fortunate who will never experience the privileges enjoyed by these fashionable railers against privilege. ‘White male privilege’ is simply a myth.

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The New Upper Class and the Real Reason We Dislike Them

I actually like that America is finally getting culture and I don't think it reduces social mobility at all but rather increases it, even if that morally offends Charles Murray, who wants everyone to measure their self-worth in money.

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by coeruleum View Post
    I thought this was gonna be millennials and got defensive so I clicked and ended up with unexpected empathy

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ashlesha View Post
    I thought this was gonna be millennials and got defensive so I clicked and ended up with unexpected empathy
    Well, I am a millennial and I'm not self-hating but on the other hand almost all the articles are about millennials so that's still understandable. Boomers really are the worst generation despite the obligatory #NotAllBoomers because 1. they are pathologically narcissistic at a high rate 2. they actually have fewer accomplishments than other generations 3. they actively put everyone else down, even to the point of absurdly denying that hippies get influenced by the medieval era and Victorians and other from-their-perspective horrible no good oppressive time periods with bad food and stiff clothes where everyone was grouchy and wore cancer-causing deodorant soap, and initiating estrangement from their children and grandchildren at a ridiculous rate. We don't need to look for "causes" for people making ridiculously bad choices at a higher rate than expected because that's not how random distribution works (and free will should have a random distribution while also not being caused by chance) but the facts are still here.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I get all the boomer hate, but I'm worried that it's a media ploy to create support for reducing or privatizing old age benefits.

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xerxe View Post
    I get all the boomer hate, but I'm worried that it's a media ploy to create support for reducing or privatizing old age benefits.
    Who would be reducing the old age benefits except other boomers in Congress? Pete Buttigieg doesn't have enough political power to steal all the benefits for Gen X and later even if he wanted to, and by the time we're all in Congress, most of the people who would need benefits would be 1. dead or 2. us. In the end, Boomers just hate each other too.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who would be reducing the old age benefits...
    Rich and/or Conservative Silent Gen. / Boomers / Gen. Xers / Millennials.

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rich and/or Conservative Silent Gen. / Boomers / Gen. Xers / Millennials.
    But for now Congress is full of Boomers, and Silent Gen. people are dying off, while Boomers will be dead by the time younger generations can take their pensions and Medicare. However, there's another important facet to this question: wouldn't a group of troglodytes (literally meaning cave-dwellers, like basement-dwellers but with their actually-literally-patriarchal "nuclear families") who think like Trump and Margaret Thatcher need their money taken from them even if it was all burnt in a bonfire and went to no one anyways?

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But for now Congress is full of Boomers, and Silent Gen. people are dying off, while Boomers will be dead by the time younger generations can take their pensions and Medicare. However, there's another important facet to this question: wouldn't a group of troglodytes (literally meaning cave-dwellers, like basement-dwellers but with their actually-literally-patriarchal "nuclear families") who think like Trump and Margaret Thatcher need their money taken from them even if it was all burnt in a bonfire and went to no one anyways?
    Are you sure this is generational instead of the stereotypical Left vs. Right thing..? Fiscal conservatives always want to reduce government spending regardless of their generation.

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know conservatives typically want to reduce spending, but my statement was that we should since it would hurt Boomers and they seem to deserve it.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know conservatives typically want to reduce spending, but my statement was that we should since it would hurt Boomers and they seem to deserve it.
    Couldn't that boomerang back on us..?

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Couldn't that boomerang back on us..?
    No, because they'll all be dead without Medicaid.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, because they'll all be dead without Medicaid.
    I meant that we set a precedent for future generations to take away our old age services.

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I meant that we set a precedent for future generations to take away our old age services.
    We're not explicitly taking it away. We're just letting it passively shrivel up and die.

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://www.reddit.com/r/offmychest/...oomers_to_die/

Quote Originally Posted by anoreaster 20 points 1 year ago
    I feel bad for thinking negatively about boomers, I'm sure it's mostly just confirmation bias and it's wrong to paint such a huge group of people with broad strokes. It's not even like this is a "young vs old" thing though, it seems like every generation surrounding the baby boomers see/saw them in a negative light.
    Does anyone think we should just rename them the New Age Cult or another better name if there is one to make it not misleadingly sound like a generational issue? This cult of autistic idiots is basically responsible for everything wrong with the world by every possible metric. They are basically the real-life version of the Titans from Attack on Titan, though I haven't finished that series. They can make absolutely everyone else get along by threatening to destroy the idea of the world and society itself, and, well, Titans even look like huge obscene babies who are only concerned with consumption.

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here are the best articles on junipers I found if anyone wants or needs to use them for enjoyment, medicine, and/or profit:

How to Identify Juniper Trees
    Edible Juniper Varieties
    What Are Juniper Berries Good For? What Do They Taste Like?
    Juniper Berries
    Genoprotective, antioxidant, antifungal and anti-inflammatory evaluation of hydroalcoholic extract of wild-growing Juniperus communis L. (Cupressaceae) native to Romanian southern sub-Carpathian hills

Consuming some of these every day for the past couple of days like a supplement has made me feel awesome instead of worn out so if you're worn out or you just want to eat and drink some tree berries or know what you can burn without poisoning yourself here you go. I put the articles in order of how advanced they are already but please don't try to do anything with any part of a juniper plant if you've only read the first one. After the second one you should be fine if you just want to be safe but aren't that into plants.

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's the purpose of SEI? Tallmo's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jung is critical of duality (or semi-duality). From "Lectures on Jung's typology" (von Franz / Hillman)

The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Evolution of Inflammatory Diseases

I wish people would confront the fact our biology is basically screaming for us to do Promethean stuff again like go to Mars before everyone dies of cancer, fat, and stupidity, but no, people would rather be coddled. #MakeHumanityPrometheanAgain

Oh, and if making humanity Promethean again interests you, read my botany articles since most of the stuff you find outside that you can eat, drink, burn, and use cosmetically that people don't seems to do a lot towards fighting inflammation. Also, too much inflammation anywhere in your body goes to your brain and makes you stupid and if you get rid of it your IQ would actually go up on IQ tests.

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yaupon Holly, Ilex vomitoria

What a ridiculous Latin name.

The Yaupon Holly is North America’s version Yerba Mate, which is Ilex paraguariensis. Preparation of Yaupon (YAH-pon) ranges from putting four or five leaves in hot water — not boiling — for five or six minutes to elaborate drying, steaming, roasting and percolation. Some brew leaves and twigs. Not only does Yaupon have more caffeine than any other species in North America it also is high in antioxidants. A 2009 article in the Journal of Economic Botany recommended it become a commercial crop. Not surprising, a 1919 journal article recommended it as well. Spanish colonists in early Florida drank Yaupon tea. One priest in 1615 wrote: “There is no Spaniard or Indian who does not drink it every day in the morning or evening.” They called it “Indian Tea” or Cacina (the latter a name that confounded botanists for a few centuries.) In the 1700s English settlers in the Carolinas drank the “Indian tea” daily. It was very popular in the second half of the 1800s but fell out of favor. Scholars don’t know why but one would think the proliferation of coffee might of had something to do with it.

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We probably need a Things No One Needed to Know but You Probably Wanted To Thread now.

Giant squid sex: violent, tangled and deeply weird

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Send someone intelligent to Mars and they’ll arrive stupid

It seems like people's excessive need for comfort that causes inflammation is stopping us from going to Mars on a biological level. Most people already are horrifically stupid but somehow pushing them more makes them stupider and they don't even have to reach Jupiter. Screw Homo inertus.

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How aspirin does more than kill pain

While I would implore that you definitely not start an aspirin regiment not because "natural is good" but because aspirin wasn't made for that, this is how bad inflammation is in the modern world. We are nearly ruining the human genome at this point.

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)