Thread: ISTps and health

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default ISTps and health

I have a question but I don't ever see any ISTps in chat . . . so even though it's a little silly question I'll have to put it here.

Why won't my husband take a daily vitamin? What is the deal? Is this a type-related thing or just a hang-up of his personally? He flat-out refuses no matter how much I ask and he's really funny about it.

He also gets upset if I ask him to wear a helmet when he's riding his bike. But he insists our daughter wear a helmet so he must know that they're necessary.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The ESTj I was married to and I used to get into some pretty bad arguments about his refusal to wear a safty belt. He'd always say, "I'm not going to get in an accident!" and I'd say "Wow, that's pretty cool. I didn't know that people KNOW about accidents before they get into them..." or something of the like...
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: ISTps and health

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker Mom
    I have a question but I don't ever see any ISTps in chat . . . so even though it's a little silly question I'll have to put it here.

Why won't my husband take a daily vitamin? What is the deal? Is this a type-related thing or just a hang-up of his personally? He flat-out refuses no matter how much I ask and he's really funny about it.

He also gets upset if I ask him to wear a helmet when he's riding his bike. But he insists our daughter wear a helmet so he must know that they're necessary.
    I think ISTPs can be pretty funny about somethings, but what those "somethings" are are different to the individual (meaning that it doesn't always have to be about health).
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vague
    Rocky's posts are as enjoyable as having wisdom teeth removed.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rocky, I think the root of it is control. Like control over his body - if he takes vitamins because I want him to then he's giving some autonomy away or something. Eh I don't know. I mean he married me so he gave away some autonomy a long time ago. Maybe this is just his last hold-out.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

maybe tell him that he can do what he wants, briefly explain your reasoning for wanting him to take them, and then just leave him alone about it?
    SEE

Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Isn't this supposed to be INFj hidden agenda? I hate taking vitamins, I just eat oranges and kiwis and apples and bananas! If you eat good food, you don;t need vitamin pills!
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy
    maybe tell him that he can do what he wants, briefly explain your reasoning for wanting him to take them, and then just leave him alone about it?
    This is what I've always done. Every so often I try again.
    -Mark Twain

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by consentingadult

Isn't this supposed to be INFj hidden agenda? I hate taking vitamins, I just eat oranges and kiwis and apples and bananas! If you eat good food, you don;t need vitamin pills!
    Yes that's what he says, but he doesn't always eat that well so IMO his argument sucks. I've started sending veggie sticks and hummus to work for him to snack on. He isn't that into fruit.
    -Mark Twain

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by consentingadult

Yes that's what he says, but he doesn't always eat that well so IMO his argument sucks. I've started sending veggie sticks and hummus to work for him to snack on. He isn't that into fruit.
    Hummus??
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You don't like that? It's healthier than ranch dressing, which I suppose I could send instead.
    -Mark Twain

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You don't like that? It's healthier than ranch dressing, which I suppose I could send instead.
    Not really. Now that I have reached 40, I force myself to eat a good nutricious meal every day, although sometimes it's a prep-meal from the store (but still nutricional) and even lettuce and tomatos every day, I always used to call that rabbit-food when I was younger and never skipped an oppertunity for a good juicy burger.

I don't know about your husband. Why don't you ask him what he thinks is a good thing he can add to his lunch box? When he answers, make sure to ask him if he's gonna eat it too! :wink:

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy
    The ESTj I was married to and I used to get into some pretty bad arguments about his refusal to wear a safety belt. He'd always say, "I'm not going to get in an accident!" and I'd say "Wow, that's pretty cool. I didn't know that people KNOW about accidents before they get into them..." or something of the like...
    haha, i used to never wear a safety belt. One day i was in the passenger side of a car wrecked at 105mph and I'd say that i may have died (or been seriously crippled) if i actually was wearing a seatbelt because then i'd have been crushed by the door and the center console. what's really wierd, is ever since then i've worn a seat belt. I seriously can't see why this happened to me, just sharing.
    A pic from the wreck. In the top of the windshield where it's all cracked is where my head actually hit. I'm pretty sure God came up and said what's up that day...lol

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by electric
    Is that floral print I see on those seats.
    hahaha, i always gave my buddy crap about those...they were "hawaiian" seat covers as he called it...lol

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oooh amazing! He told me on his way out the door this morning that after consideration, he would agree to take a multi-vitamin every day.

He had a leg cramp last night when he was trying to sleep and I told him I wondered if it was a vitamin deficiency. It might sound manipulative but that was really what I thought. Anyway, the leg cramp apparently made him decide it might not be a bad idea to take a vitamin.
    -Mark Twain

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

YAY!!!

more likely a mineral deficiency.... but YAY!!!
    SEE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most likely it may have been a potassium deficiency. When the muscles lack potassium they involuntary contract. This happens to athletes a lot when they sweat during vigorous activity. Potassium is lost thur the sweat glands and they cramp up. This is why potassium is included in sports drinks.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by baydog
    Most likely it may have been a potassium deficiency. When the muscles lack potassium they involuntary contract. This happens to athletes a lot when they sweat during vigorous activity. Potassium is lost thur the sweat glands and they cramp up. This is why potassium is included in sports drinks.
    haha, my mother used to bring my soccer team bananas before games since they are pretty good for potassium. This got her the nickname, the Banana Lady.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well the vitamins have minerals in them too so they'll still take care of it
    -Mark Twain

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow, impressive car crash cracka, that must have been fun

Slacker Mom: I think some of the previous posts maybe along the right lines, if you were nagging and pestering your husband to take vitamins he may have refused because he felt pressured and that it wasnt his free choice. Over time when the preassure is off and he feels like the choice is entirely his decision and he may choose either way, he may have assessed the choice on his own terms and agreed.

Personally I know I do this often on a huge range of things, I wont do something because someone tells me to, or says it's right, I must judge the choice myself and use my own internal logic and value system to come to a decision, which may, or may not be the thing the person wanted me to do or what someone says is right. Nagging or preassuring me to do something or make a certain choice dosent make any difference to my choice at all, and just annoys me and delays my choice as I need to get away from the external preassure and consult my own values system. This goes for a huge number of things, from wash you car its dirty (only if I have nothing more fun to do), to work some overtime your lazy (never, time is more valueble than money!) to your going to university (yes ok, it would be fun, an experience not to miss and useful in the future.)

Remember, ISTp's will consider objective evidence and logical arguments too support a certain choice of action, and will not be effected by emotional arguments such as you must do this because I want you to, or because everybody else is doing that so you should aswell.

YAY that he is taking them now though
    Friendly ISTp
    Interested in everything, yes, EVERYTHING
    Flower's motto: Life's too short even to do the things you want to, let alone the things you dont!!