Thread: Why do we talk?

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lungs View Post
    okay, though i'm not really sure you get it...the need for self-expression is universal, not cultural. it just gets done differently in different cultures. i'm not religious but i think understanding the hows and whys of spirituality is pretty important to understanding humans and even myself. that basic spiritual drive exists in me even if it doesn't manifest in me believing in any particular god. self-expression and spirituality are part of humans just like physical hunger is and we are all acting on those drives even if some of us might consider them "trite."

i had to google those terms you used..yo-he-ho is interesting!
    I'm saying that I don't think self-expression or spirituality would take precedence over survival needs. In other words, you have to make sure you're well fed enough to survive until tomorrow before you can really care about becoming actualized. Sure that is a drive in American culture today, but we also largely have our survival needs taken care of and are free to spend our time musing on how to correctly assert our oppinion on the internet rather than fiding our next meal.
    Easy Day

Mentioned
    914 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JWC3 View Post
    Sure that is a drive in American culture today, but we also largely have our survival needs taken care of and are free to spend our time musing on how to correctly assert our oppinion on the internet rather than fiding our next meal.
    i'm pretty sure spirituality existed before things like agriculture.
    and self-expression is in the way you flex your muscles and cock your chin as you drag a female back to your cave. maybe not a conscious concern, but its there.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm pretty sure spirituality existed before things like agriculture.
    and self-expression is in the way you flex your muscles and cock your chin as you drag a female back to your cave. maybe not a conscious concern, but its there.
    Agriculture is something that happens well after realizing you need to eat.
    Easy Day

Mentioned
    914 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JWC3 View Post
    Agriculture is something that happens well after realizing you need to eat.
    i was looking for a reasonable line after which people were capable of being well fed on a regular basis.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i was looking for a reasonable line after which people were capable of being well fed on a regular basis.
    In that case I believe there is evidence of burial rites pre dating agriculture. I would in general assume agriculture does not pre date speech/communication.
    Easy Day