Thread: Childhood observations and type

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Childhood observations and type

This is interesting. I found a "baby book" while visiting my parents. It contains all kinds of notes about my childhood. Then I found a page which talked about what people predicted I will become. I think it was written when I was somewhere around age of 5 or so...anyways before I went to school but at age when I wasn't a baby anymore and my strenghts, weaknesses and interests started to show.

Father said: mathematician
    Mother said: salesman
    I said: surgeon, police, ambulance driver

Hmm...kind of different views...I guess I was difficult to type even when a child It seems my father has been best predictor so far but there is still time left and I'm slowly gearing away from science and more into business to perhaps my mother will win in the end

Anyways do you have these kind of observations or memories? Ask your parents if you can't remember! I'm just wondering how well can your socionics type be predicted based on childhood observations like this?

And what type do you think could be a combination of mathematician, salesman, surgeon and police?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only thing weird my baby book said was that I enjoyed getting dirty, except on my feet. No one was allowed to touch my feet and I would freak out if they got dirty.

My dad said artist (because that was what he really wanted)
    My mom said architect because some of my favorite toys were "building toys" (legos, erector sets etc.)

As a child I wanted to be an astronomer, archeologist, anthropologist, vet, zoo keeper and painter; things along those lines.
    All Hail The Flying Spaghetti Monster

Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was going to be The Six Million Dollar Man, complete with bionic eyes, arms and legs. My dad probably hoped I was going to be a carbon copy of him and follow in his footsteps (which he still secretly does, although I'm 40 now) and my mum, a complete failure in self-esteem, wanted me to become succesful (probably so the succes could rub off on her) :wink:
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As a child I wanted to be an astronomer, archeologist, anthropologist, vet, zoo keeper and painter; things along those lines.
    Creepy. It's like looking into a mirror. Except, mine was at first a zoo keeper until my parents shortly told me that what I probably meant was a zoologist. So I wanted to be a zoologist or an archeologist for most of my childhood. My animal library was quite impressive. And I was on track to being a zoologist until the 8th grade where I suddenly lost momentum.

But I was something of a wild child when I was a kid. There is a small stream or creek behind my house which I would explore just about every time I had free time where I would look for signs of wildlife.

My mom said architect because some of my favorite toys were "building toys" (legos, erector sets etc.)
    After I abandoned zoology, my mother also recommended engineering for the same reason. My favorite childhood toys were Transformers, Legos, and K'Nex.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lawyer, lawyer, lawyer because I argued endlessly everything (quite cleverly, too). Politician from most of my friends, I don't exactly know why, but I guess mostly due to the same charateristic.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My dad wanted me to be a writer and my mom wanted me to be an actress.

I guess when I was little I wanted to be a musician but I lack the necessary talent.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't know what I wanted to be. I felt I was waiting for something, something important, because everything seemed 'not important'. Only recently have I found some things that I consider possibly 'important'.

I was known for my reservedness around others that I didn't know very well, and indpendence - doing things by myself. I was not interested in sociliazing with others, generally. And anything that was 'forced' upon me was not tolerated. But I guess I cannot say that I had any major goals or desires at that time. A lot of my childhood was dealing with myself being so different from everyone else, 'alienation', perhaps.

This would make sense, because I don't think there was anyone NT at all in my family. School was alright, but... it didn't captivate me. I sort of wish I was put in some different classes, or went to that private school that was offered to me. But it doesn't really matter now. Those days don't even seem like "me" anymore. My dad did a great job of letting opening of my mind to think about things, and I really thank him for that. He's at least got an intuitive thought / provoking side to him.

PS: I would play with ropes and threads, and make them very complicated in design and knots, and then be able to undo them when no one else could. That, and I always like hitting telephone buttons as a baby. Perhaps that translated into videogames as a younger child.

I was also known for my scowls, frowns, looks of dissaproval, and seriousness. I suppose I was always 'doing my own thing'.

( )
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At ten or so my parents were convinced I'd be an architect because I was always drawing floor plans.
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UDP II
    I was also known for my scowls, frowns, looks of dissaproval, and seriousness.
    My family still makes fun of me for my scowls, which makes me scowl more.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by oyburger
    I was also known for my scowls, frowns, looks of dissaproval, and seriousness.
    My family still makes fun of me for my scowls, which makes me scowl more.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamicism
    God damnit, I want to be little again.
    I can honestly say that I have never felt such a sentiment in my entire life.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I lived my whole childhood looking forward to the day of my 18th birthday when I could make all of my decisions for myself and wouldn't have to listen to anyone. I moved out of my parent's house 3 days after I turned 18. I was thrilled to be an adult and still am, and I would never go back.

If I had grown up in an environment that wasn't so restrictive it might be a different story.
    SEE

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@ Dynamicism

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Booooo! I live my life trying to recapture childhood

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy
    If I had grown up in an environment that wasn't so restrictive it might be a different story.
    Exactly. My parents always let me do what I wanted.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had pretty much no rules growing up (I only followed the ones I wanted to anyway). My parents even let me go camping by myself for a summer when I was 12 years old (they would visit me on weekends). Weirdly enough though, I got in alot less trouble than most of my friends.

If I felt I was being told 'no' unnecessarily, I would argue my point logically with my parents until they caved. I would only listen if they could logically explain to me why I couldn't do something.

My parents could not devise any punishments on me that would work. I had the tendancy to make the best of a bad situation. Send me to my room...cool, I have a book in there I'm downright eager to read. Put me in the corner, ...I would make a game out of counting the stucco peaks on the ceiling or just retreat to a daydream.

As a child I used to walk around telling everyone I was going to be a Psychologist.

My parents thought I'd be a singer or entertainer.

As an adult, well I've been lots of different things actually. Neither of the above though. Right now I'm a Program Coordinator but only plan on doing it for a year.

I see my neices and wonder what they will be when they grow up. One is 5 and has already decided she wants to be a scientist. The other is 13 but has been saying engineer since she was 8.

PS. I moved out at 18 too (had been making plans to since I was 15). Despite the freedom I had, I wanted total independence from my parents.
    Polly
    ENTp

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IEI subtype

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vague
    A teacher suggested that I might become a mime because I was a very quiet child. Practically all of my elementary report cards came back with comments like, "Your kid never talks".
    I sympathize with you. My parents might only hope me to be "sane" to speak in public.
    ex-nameless ixtp
    *** Warning - Risk of poor communication and late response.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got the opposite, instead..

Polly's report card comments:

Paulette is too chatty, she needs to learn to settle down more and do her work. (I was extremely hyper as a child and couldn't sit still...I pretty much vibrated if forced to sit still. I'd just get up and start roaming around and have to be told to go back to my seat).

Paulette needs to learn to complete her assignments, more work at home is needed

Paulette is missing too much time and her poor attendance is affecting her marks (I started skipping school when I was around 9 or 10).

I passed each year in school based on how intelligent I seemed to be, not because I actually passed in assignments or passed (or showed up even) for tests. Occassionally, I'd actually do really well in a course but it was only because I liked the teacher and wanted to please them.

I went to a new school in Grade 7 where they would no longer put up with my crap and held me back a year. I smartened up and started to put in more of an effort after that. For the most part though, school bored me to tears and I wanted to be elsewhere.
    Polly
    ENTp

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL I had the "Nicole is too chatty" comments too.

"Nicole could be a good student if she would study and follow through on her assignments."

"I had to move Nicole so she wasn't sitting near her friends because no one was getting any work done."

"Nicole has difficulty paying attention."

etc.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG
    Hear hear, brah.
    Then you both must be irrational, having your life's goal being intentionally unattainable. Either that, or babies
    At least I can sate my self with dellusions of grandure and possibility, like a mature person.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would kill to go back to my childhood. Yes, I was a spoiled brat who was allowed to do just about anything I wanted.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG
    Hear hear, brah.
    Then you both must be irrational, having your life's goal being intentionally unattainable. Either that, or babies
    Oh go please stop this anal intellectual attitude that it's just laughable. Mature my ass if you can't even respect people.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UDP

At least I can sate my self with dellusions of grandure and possibility, like a mature person.
    (I suppose I should have specified that I was laughing at myself, and that there was some sarcasm involved. To think that one of those is really any better than the other --- that really would be illogical)

(this post, also, is made as a joke)

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But I still don't want to go back to my childhood

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some of us had good ones, some of us had bad ones.
    I had more opportunities and freedom back then.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't have a bad childhood... my parents were just extremist and Christians... that's all.
    SEE

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sometimes I wish I could go back and do a few things differently. But on the other hand, I really like where I am now and if I did things differently, who knows where I'd be?

I think I'll just stick with the here and now.
    -Mark Twain

Creepy-Diana

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by oyburger
    Some of us had good ones, some of us had bad ones.
    I had more opportunities and freedom back then.

Mine wasn't good or bad. it just was. It was rather neutral, actually. I kind of was just there, exploring. I enjoyed my childhood, don't get me wrong.

But I'm too interested in the future to want to go back to it - that's what I mean. Also, I don't like the idea of carrying baggage from your childhood into later stages in life. I wouldn't want my life to be defined by something that happened to me when I was 7 years old, you know?