Page 3 of 98 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you watching?

I stumbled upon a piece of the music score today and I remembered how I watched this a long time ago.

Waltz with Bashir

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J9uoLMhMhs
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylzO9vbEpPg

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Critical Thinking in Everyday Life: 9 Strategies

Most of us are not what we could be. We are less. We have great capacity. But most of it is dormant; most is undeveloped. Improvement in thinking is like improvement in basketball, in ballet, or in playing the saxophone. It is unlikely to take place in the absence of a conscious commitment to learn. As long as we take our thinking for granted, we don’t do the work required for improvement.

Development in thinking requires a gradual process requiring plateaus of learning and just plain hard work. It is not possible to become an excellent thinker simply because one wills it. Changing one’s habits of thought is a long-range project, happening over years, not weeks or months. The essential traits of a critical thinker require an extended period of development.

How, then, can we develop as critical thinkers? How can we help ourselves and our students to practice better thinking in everyday life?

First, we must understand that there are stages required for development as a critical thinker:

Stage One: The Unreflective Thinker (we are unaware of significant problems in our thinking)
    Stage Two: The Challenged Thinker (we become aware of problems in our thinking)
    Stage Three: The Beginning Thinker (we try to improve but without regular practice)
    Stage Four: The Practicing Thinker (we recognize the necessity of regular practice)
    Stage Five: The Advanced Thinker (we advance in accordance with our practice)
    Stage Six: The Master Thinker (skilled & insightful thinking become second nature to us)

We develop through these stages if we:

1) accept the fact that there are serious problems in our thinking (accepting the challenge to our thinking) and
    2) begin regular practice.

In this article, we will explain 9 strategies that any motivated person can use to develop as a thinker. As we explain the strategy, we will describe it as if we were talking directly to such a person. Further details to our descriptions may need to be added for those who know little about critical thinking. Here are the 9:

1. Use “Wasted” Time.
    2. A Problem A Day.
    3. Internalize Intellectual Standards.
    4. Keep An Intellectual Journal.
    5. Reshape Your Character.
    6. Deal with Your Ego.
    7. Redefine the Way You See Things.
    8. Get in touch with your emotions.
    9. Analyze group influences on your life.

There is nothing magical about our ideas. Not one of them is essential. Nevertheless, each represents a plausible way to begin to do something concrete to improve thinking in a regular way. Though you probably can’t do all of these at the same time, we recommend an approach in which you experiment with all of these over an extended period of time.

http://www.criticalthinking.org/page...strategies/512

Someone suggested to me privately that I shouldn't have posted this on my FB so close to the anniversary. It's my page I'll do what I want. I skip their political rants and conspiracy theories all the time. How hard is it to skip something you are not interested in. :/

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEwrOnrlERY

And I spent it thinking how prototypical a SLE Mr Elba is.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i discovered 'fear the walking dead' last night and watched all of it so far. the images kept playing through my mind and last night while i was sleeping it was one zombie/society break-down dream after another. but when i woke up, i realized i'd been thinking about the "outbreak" in a far too simple way.

one of the fascinating things about 'the walking dead' is that everyone is infected, so that if someone even dies of "natural" causes, they'll rise again as a zombie. from this i had imagined a fairly simple scenario, which was that this virus (or whatever it was) had been brewing inside of people for some undisclosed amount of time (it must have been a while, since apparently every person in the u.s. at least already had it), and then one day someone died, but that someone didn't stay dead. the living would have been confused... if someone you love for instance woke up again after death, you might feel hopeful that they hadn't actually died, or worse that it was "a miracle." in any case the confusion would last long enough to get bitten by the zombie (since in this universe, zombies aren't even a concept, so very few would expect being bitten to be the next thing to happen). so, in short, i imagined that very rapidly it went from a few people not "staying dead" to no one staying dead, and then all these risen people would have been biting those around them, and you can imagine it all unfolding that way.

but from watching 'fear the walking dead' i now think that it wasn't only those who died not staying dead, and those who were bitten getting sick and dying (then rising again), but also that some people just got sick. no one bit them. like everyone else, they were already infected, only somehow the way the "virus" mutated in them just led them to becoming sick and soon dying from this (much as someone who was bitten would fall ill and die). several things lead me to suspect this:

• it's mentioned in the pilot that a lot of kids were calling in sick to school (they couldn't have all been bitten, and also maybe young people were more likely to go this way? of course, some of their parents might have been sick, or some of them might have been reacting earlier - packing up - than most...)
    • i kept thinking of the image of this homeless person in a park, just the person's silhouette, but the way he moved made him seem like a zombie. i began to wonder if people who would be more vulnerable to illness such as those without proper medical care, people who were immune compromised, children, etc. might have been the most likely to go this "flu way." it could go through groups like the homeless or addicts (people in the shadows of society) without others noticing anything was wrong at first (it could allow for a delay). i wondered also in the beginning if the flu-way might have taken longer, perhaps involving someone being sick for a few weeks even (which would have led to this idea that there's "a bug going around.") maybe at first some people even recovered from it.
    • there's a neighbor who we see coughing while he's packing up his vehicle. later he attacks the main characters as a zombie. i initially assumed he'd been bitten, but later i began to wonder if actually he hadn't and had no reason to believe he had anything other than the flu.
    • one character named matt got sick after being bitten and it didn't take him long to help his girlfriend's parents persuade her to go. i suspect it was because having been bitten himself, he witnessed something awful. deep down he *knows* he's getting worse, and it was through really "unnatural" circumstances that he got this way. he *knows* he's dangerous. i think a lot of people who were bitten would have behaved like him - trying to protect their loved ones. and with a lot of people behaving that way after being bitten i don't think the rate of disorder and destruction of an entire city would have been as steep as it was in this show if it was only as i initially thought.
    • the authorities *are* concealing information from the public, but the level of disorder we see (which is quite extreme) probably has another cause: the authorities themselves are confused. it would be easier to understand what was happening if it was what i initially thought it was from watching 'the walking dead,' and i think if that were all that was happening, the authorities would have been able to exercise better control. but, i think the issue is that the combination of people getting sick (beginning with flu-like symptoms) and the phenomenon of people wandering around biting each other, and the phenomenon of people coming back after dying, has made everything really difficult to track and to understand. is it all related? most of the "authorities" didn't have enough time to put it all together.

the reason we don't see the falling sick phenomena in 'the walking dead,' is because that show starts *after* it all happened, so all of those people already died (they're among the zombies). the survivors are the ones who didn't have that particular mutation issue (or whatever it was).

another thing i'm wondering about at the point where the show has left off, is if the military knows that everyone is infected. at first i thought they did since they're concerned with removing people with life threatening conditions as well as people who can't keep themselves together psychologically (including drug addicts). the military has also apparently been shooting people outside of the compound whether those people look infected or not (every person is a potential threat - this is a measure you take when you're not trying to contain an infection, but know that it is beyond a matter of containment - which i guess given that the cause isn't fully understood, it would be looked at that way regardless).

anyway, now i suspect the military people we see in the episodes don't know. but some of the people giving them their orders *do.* and the doctor who probably showed up recently probably does as well (she may have received those reports from the cdc mentioned in 'the walking dead,' and know what they knew). the reason for not telling everyone would be out of trying to avoid a panic. so instead, the military is ordered to consistently perform health checks, and anyone who has a life threatening injury or illness is removed. it's equally important to remove anyone psychologically unstable as the psychologically unstable could kill others. (obviously, if there's a zombie outbreak inside the compound it would likely compromise the entire compound - bye bye, everyone.)

so far i like this show a lot because there are more mysteries and i think i like the characters better so far (maybe?). also it will be interesting to see what happens once the zombies start moving in waves. small little detachments of military and a chain link fence wouldn't be able to stop that. i wonder if that's part of the reason the military is shooting everyone outside the compound? i just really want to know what they know, and where on the timeline this is with the beginning of 'the walking dead.' for some reason i want to think the the east half of the country went down before the west, but that may turn out to be wrong.

also these zombies are really more subdued so far than the ones on 'the walking dead.' they're not wandering in mass. they're not so responsive to every sound and flash of light? it hasn't been long enough? does mutation continue in the dead?

i'm also curious about spread through blood and saliva other than from a bite. but i don't expect them to go into that much. so far, the main characters haven't seemed to get zombified through blood/saliva contact... (?) the bite thing seems like it's more a greater concentration of the "virus" enters the body, so it speeds up the process (you become a zombie early). also, the "virus" will still be evolving inside of everyone, so i don't know what will happen with that. and i don't know the cause either (it must have somehow been an engineering mistake?)
    Last edited by marooned; 09-21-2015 at 05:18 PM.

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

aaaah, i was reading articles about the virus in the walking dead shows and found this article (warning: spoilers abound!)

http://uproxx.com/tv/2015/08/fear-th...rigin-clues/4/

'fear the walking dead' starts with gloria, who i definitely thought did overdose from her drugs, and that's why she became a zombie. i didn't think she was L.A.'s "patient zero," but simply the first zombie one of our characters encounters. if she was the first zombie in L.A., that would be quite the coincidence. basically around the time that she came back as a zombie, a lot of people dying at that time would also be coming back as one (and indeed, the character cal becomes a zombie after being shot to death like 1-2 days later - he was otherwise healthy seemingly). so, really this is all happening at around the same time, which is what i already expected.

one thing pointing to gloria being the first or one of the firsts though is that when the cops interview druggie nick they don't take his vague flesh eating story very seriously, as though they haven't heard any reports like this yet?

the article follows with this:
    This has potentially huge implications for the show because it suggests that, somehow, an entire population came down with the virus at the same time. If you can die from anything — overdose, old age, pneumonia, car wreck — and return as a zombie, then the virus is already out of control. You couldn’t contain it, even if you wanted. Because everyone is infected with it, it simply lays dormant in those who haven’t died yet.
    i thought that this was kind of clear in 'the walking dead' episode when they went to the cdc. the mysterious thing that the cdc discovered was that *everyone* was already infected, and they didn't know how that happened. it was from that episode that i formed the impression that it had been in people for a while already - it had gone around silently (undetected, apparently largely symptomless); or it had been in human kind even longer than that (which would be really interesting... if it was some ancient thing). in either case, it continued to evolve and mutate, which is why it didn't always do what it starts doing in the shows.

the point where it mutates into zombie-ness wouldn't necessarily be all at the exact same time everywhere, but very close... i thought of it as its last mutation (or series of...) was the one that did everyone in... and though it seems to be following a fairly predictable course of mutation, the last devastating one(s) might show up at different times, maybe even forming patterns by geography?

The source of the infection has to be something bigger. Something airborne. Or something that’s been lying dormant for years, or decades, that’s somehow been activated. How is that possible? Aliens? Genetics? God?
    the article and i are in agreement... although i suppose aliens and god weren't among my, um, first guesses. i like the idea that something of it "has been with us for quite some time."

then there is this article: http://www.inquisitr.com/2366040/fea...pilot-episode/

Another interesting thing to note was the class Travis (Cliff Curtis) was teaching in episode 1 of Fear The Walking Dead. In his class, Travis was talking about Jack London’s short story To Build a Fire. As a Movie Pilot article points out, this story is quite often used as an example of naturalism. Naturalism is the theory that social and environmental influences shape individuals — something definitely most noticeable in Rick’s journey in The Walking Dead. However, another thing evident in Jack London’s story is the fact the theory that “Nature always wins.” So could the zombie virus present in Fear The Walking Dead actually be nature made and not human made? Could this virus be a result of mother earth rising up and reclaiming her damaged earth from the humans who have ravished it?
    oh dear. i did kind of like the idea of it arising out of the interface between human bioengineering and things in nature/our genes we didn't know enough about. but... reading the above, gosh, that would just be boring. maybe it's best to leave it a mystery after all. that said, i did kind of like a bit of the explanation in the 'resident evil' movies: it's a virus that reanimates dead tissue. so it kind of makes sense it was someone's little experiment about living forever or bringing dead parts of the brain back to life. in the 'walking dead' shows too it seems that it is largely reanimating parts of the brain.

Finally, while this is not really a hint at how the virus started, HitFix has managed to date the zombie apocalypse in Fear The Walking Dead. According to evidence gathered from items such as iPhones and iPads used in the pilot episode of Fear The Walking Dead and visual clues, it appears the outbreak occurred in L.A sometime in the winter of 2012. Although, according to this timeline on the Walking Dead wiki page, the outbreak occurred sometime towards the end of 2013 or the start of 2014.
    this makes me want to watch 'the walking dead' and look for time indicators. i can't remember any of rick's story in terms of time - was he in a coma as far back as 2012? if so (if the timelines can work together), it would indicate the west "went down" first. i can't remember enough from 'the walking dead' to see if there was evidence of a more organized response against the zombies in the east cities (as opposed to the total mess shown in L.A. in 'fear the walking dead.') i kind of expect the two shows to diverge though, regardless.

my idea about the east falling first was mainly based on that there are more people in the eastern cities? although "falling first" doesn't mean "first to become zombies."

oh, bah, it's hopeless: http://www.hitfix.com/comedy/how-the...a-mystery-yall 'cause like when rick woke up he was all "i don't know wtf happened..." meaning the shows are already on very different timelines. we're not in the same world. *sniffles*
    Last edited by marooned; 09-21-2015 at 09:33 PM.

bye now
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forbidden Planet

It's a pretty good movie; even the special effects are decent.
    good bye

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I probably mentioned this TV series a few years ago when it was on...there's going to be a second "series" next year. I would definitely recommend watching each play; the cast for each is of a very high calibre and there is a good sense of continuity between the plays.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ho...wn_(TV_series)

Richard II: https://vimeo.com/channels/551513/58737725 or http://www.watchfree.to/tv-29d1b0-Th...on-1-episode-1
    Henry VI, part I: http://www.watchfree.to/tv-29d1b0-Th...on-1-episode-2
    Henry IV, part II: http://www.watchfree.to/tv-29d1b0-Th...on-1-episode-3
    Henry V: http://www.watchfree.to/tv-29d1b0-Th...on-1-episode-4

Last edited by Moonbeaux Rainfox; 03-28-2016 at 09:42 PM.

TIM
    Si 6 spsx
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Reminds as blacks are shown in USA - as stupid gangsters, while political system does many they be so. Now people in Eastern Europe are in transformation from socialistic normal human personality to something close to monkeys. To control monkeys is more easier than to deal with humans. Hitlеr had similar plans for degradation Eastern Europe nationalities to slave and genocide them, now after western soft occupation it's made in less direct way. While western propaganda adopts perception for what is happening there.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

I don't have a TV I watch movies from the library
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

There is a film coming out about Phillippe Petit and his highwire walk between the Twin Towers.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W6byFcD5uE
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3488710/

no regrets

TIM
    Eii
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just finished episode five on season 1 of Hemlock Grove. The show started out confusing and didturbing and I was intrigued so I had no choice but to watch more.

Creepy-bg

this season of The Leftovers has been incredible.

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

A long time ago. Soylent Green http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070723/

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

TIM
    No. E9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

TIM
    Eii
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

these vids make me so happy

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Banned
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by silke View Post
    Ex Machina (2015) - didn't get to watch the full movie last time, finishing this up now
    It was good. I like it.

Banned
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cinderella. Now... On! To San Andreas!

TIM
    Eii
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So profound.

ha watchin this video that says many women in greece get a c-section because turning the baby in a way that can foster vaginal exit is not a common practice among doctors

Banned
    TIM
    f a g g o t
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIM
    Eii
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One of her best music videos

TIM
    Eii
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIM
    No. E9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

TIM
    Si 6 spsx
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

;w; smh

TIM
    Sx/Sp 2w3
    Mentioned
    352 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

・゚*✧ 𝓘 𝓌𝒾𝓁𝓁 𝓃𝑜𝓉 𝒶𝒸𝒸𝑒𝓅𝓉 𝒶 𝓁𝒾𝒻𝑒 𝓘 𝒹𝑜 𝓃𝑜𝓉 𝒹𝑒𝓈𝑒𝓇𝓋𝑒 ✧*:・゚

I have read and review for this. Sounded/looks interesting. It's been some times since sth. catched my interest.

Last edited by Moonbeaux Rainfox; 06-18-2016 at 09:39 AM.

TIM
    Si 6 spsx
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ISIS bloopers

TIM
    Si 6 spsx
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last edited by Grendel; 06-28-2016 at 05:10 AM.

Page 3 of 98 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast