0 Thread(s)

Default Article: Examination of Gender Roles by Sociotype by E. Filatova

"Arnie is strong, rightfully angry and wants to kill somebody."
    martin_g_karlsson

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

This is pretty interesting. It's all fairly straightforward and common sense stuff, but it's a good read nonetheless.

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

To summarize, in Filatova's perception:

Most to least masculine types:
    +3: SLE, LSI, LIE, LSE, SLI
    +2: ESI, LII, SEE
    +1: ILE, ESE
    =0: ILI
    -1: SEI
    -2: EIE, EII, IEE
    -3: IEI

Most to least feminine types:
    +3: SEI, ESE, IEI, EIE, SEE, EII, IEE
    +2: ESI
    +1:
    =0: LSI, ILI, LSE, SLI
    -1: ILE, LII, SLE, LIE
    -2:
    -3:

Looks like Filatova didn't want to disparage any of the women reading her article and distributed positive scores to most of the types. The scores that I would disagree with are IEIs being more masculine than SEIs and EIIs, ESIs being most masculine of all IxFx types, and IEEs being more masculine than SEEs. In this sense I agree more with Gulenko's assignments (link).

Most masculine types: SLE, SLI, LII, LIE
    Intermediary types, masculine predominates: IEI, IEE, ESE, ESI
    Intermediary types, feminine predominates: LSE, LSI, ILI, ILE
    Most feminine types: EII, EIE, SEE, SEI

why did this article post in Article instead of Article Commentary forum @hkkmr?
    Last edited by silke; 12-17-2013 at 07:25 AM.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The scores that I would disagree with are IEIs being more masculine than SEIs and EIIs
    You meant less, right? Because IEI have -3 as score and SEI and EII -1 and -2.

ESIs being most masculine of all IxFx types
    Why not? They're the only ones with Se, and their feeling is introverted, so they may often play the role of the "strong and silent type" (depending on their upbringing, ofc.).
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    You meant less, right? Because IEI have -3 as score and SEI and EII -1 and -2.
    No, I meant more. Those scores were assigned by Filatova and what I was talking comes from personal experience. In relationships with ILEs and LSEs, the IEIs receive various remarks from them about how to be 'more feminine' which I have discussed with IEI posters on the Russian socionics forums. Their responses have confirmed that in both Mirage and Conflict relations the femininity of IEI is lower than what is expected by her ILE or LSE partner. Thus the rankings of femininity for introverted ethical types would be:

EII > SEI > IEI > ESI

With the EII being the girly girl type, and the ESI being the slightly tomboyish girl.

Why not? They're the only ones with Se, and their feeling is introverted, so they may often play the role of the "strong and silent type" (depending on their upbringing, ofc.).
    why not? if that in any way emasculates their LIE partners

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by silke View Post
    No, I meant more. Those scores were assigned by Filatova and what I was talking comes from personal experience. In relationships with ILEs and LSEs, the IEIs receive various remarks from them about how to be 'more feminine' which I have discussed with IEI posters on the Russian socionics forums. Their responses have confirmed that in both Mirage and Conflict relations the femininity of IEI is lower than what is expected by her ILE or LSE partner. Thus the rankings of femininity for introverted ethical types would be:

EII > SEI > IEI > ESI

With the EII being the girly girl type, and the ESI being the slightly tomboyish girl.
    Okay, I understand your point now, I re-read gulenko's classification and it seems to be based on similar observations.

Well, if they're male ESIs, I don't think their female partners mind being emasculated - if that can be applicable to a woman.

Perhaps you're referring to the femminity scale. I'd then argue that you can't really use "more masculine" but you'd rather have to say "less feminine", since there's two explictly separated scales.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thus the rankings of femininity for introverted ethical types would be:

EII > SEI > IEI > ESI

Funny, my gut feeling would put both XEIs ahead of EXIs in feminity.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1981slater View Post
    Axis of Evil: Iran, Iraq, North Korea and Agarina
    Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa Darmandzhyan
    Agarina does not like human beings; she just wants a pretty boy toy.
    Johari Nohari

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

+1:
    -2:
    -3:

Looks like Filatova didn't want to disparage any of the women reading her article and distributed positive scores to most of the types. The scores that I would disagree with are IEIs being more masculine than SEIs and EIIs, ESIs being most masculine of all IxFx types, and IEEs being more masculine than SEEs. In this sense I agree more with Gulenko's assignments (link).

why did this article post in Article instead of Article Commentary forum @hkkmr?
    I think maybe article comments for this article is linked to the thread and it might have been moved.

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

EII > SEI > IEI > ESI

IEI's are feminine on the outside but they tend to have a aggression and fickleness in relationships which imo make them seem more masculine. The DS function of IEI give them a opportunistic attitude sometimes with relationships always keeping a eye open for a more powerful and interesting partner. Also house work(because a lot of ppl think this is feminine)...

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Harmful stereotypes. Conflation of dimensions results in less understood/accepted ways of being. Can be a a self fulfilling prophecy.

TIM
    SiTe 6w5 sp/so
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

+1:
    -2:
    -3:

Gulenkos approach is a systematic approach where result is more maculin than process and logic more masculin than ethics while Filatovas approach is about her own perception of the types. I like the results from Filatova more.

TIM
    ILI 5w4 sx/??
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't really agree with these judgments of type. I do, however, have my own conception of masculinity and femininity, but not judging by behavior. According to the idea of the stereotypical male mindset, in which an individual is geared more toward technical subjects cognitively and less inclined toward communication and ease of human connection, I rate types with creative thinking as being the most cognitively masculine. More specifically, negativitist creative thinkers tend to be the most separate from groups and disinclined toward human connection and relationships. There are a number of qualities which modify this, such as actual gender and the presence of a disorder like Aspergers Syndrome. Positivist creative feelers are conversely the most cognitively feminine. Don't get me wrong though. I'm not saying that exemplars of these types cannot possess strengths that don't align with this idea. NCTs (negativitist creative thinkers) are often suspiciously good with people when they feel like it, and PCFs are often rather clever with things one would consider to be the domain of NCTs. These are simply general trends I've noticed. And really, they make quite a good deal of sense, considering that all creative thinkers have a weakness in the area of feeling.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

I'll take the traditional feminine role.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    SiTe 6w5 sp/so
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My ranking would be:

Most masculine
    1. LSI +2
    2. SLI +2
    3. SLE +2
    4. LIE +2
    5. SEE +1
    6. LSE +1
    7. ESI +1
    8. SEI 0
    9. ESE 0
    10. ILI 0
    11. LII 0
    12. ILE 0
    13. IEE -1
    14. EIE -1
    15. EII -2
    16. IEI -2

Most feminine

1. ESE +2
    2. SEI +2
    3. EII +2
    4. IEI +2
    5. IEE +2
    6. ESI +1
    7. EIE +1
    8. SEE +1
    9. LSE +1
    10. ILI 0
    11. SLI 0
    12. LSI -1
    13. LII -2
    14. SLE -2
    15. ILE -2
    16. LIE -2
    Last edited by DaftPunk; 12-23-2013 at 12:22 PM.

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIM
    SiTe 6w5 sp/so
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wacey View Post
    actually you're right

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd just like to point out that we can assign what we perceive is our society's most recent mythos of a "female set of behaviors" or a "male set of behaviors," but if we ACTUALLY think these things--ways of being, behaviors, primary function usages--are more or less of the female sort or of the male sort, we're engaging in unscientific mass generalizations which, strangely ignore the basis of the theory we're dealing with...the idea that it's similar psyche functions that are being utilized by similar brains which often result in similar behaviors.

Serious Left-Static Negativist Eliza Thomason's Avatar
    TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This works for me. I was always very comfortable being a girl and feminine, so +3 sounds right. My brothers on the other hand are also all +3 for guys: ESTJ, ExTJ, ISTp. I liked being the "different" one growing up (most of the time).

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

==ESIs being most masculine of all IxFx types==

This is true ime. I have met EIIs who were hormonally "macho" enough, so to speak, but their preference for Ne gave them a mindset that I would consider more feminine (less aggressive, less pragmatic, more understanding of nuances and perspective and so on).

I sacrificed a goat to Zeus and I liked it
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think types can be considered masculine or feminine really, but if there is anything, probably Beta and Gamma are more masculine and Alpha and Delta are more feminine because of the Se in the former quadras and Si in the latter. Even that seems to be a quite weak correlation. I also think that, regarding judging functions, Fe and Ti are more masculine, while Fi and Te are more feminine (mostly just Fi). I mean, Fe includes all the traditionally "macho" kinds of emotions (i.e. rage, standing up for your externally-based values like a heroic warrior), which are also valued in the Romance cultures that originated the concept of "macho", although of course the Tx will probably come across more masculine generally.

You also know a paper is bad when it mentions unfalsifiable evolutionary psychology BS from the outset.

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The article is neither valid nor objective because of its heteronormative standpoint. I also agree with @Schildmaid, evolutionary views are generally overestimated while socialization is disregarded.

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hag View Post
    well, that was an entertaining read. it appears Filatova is stuck in the 19th century.

EII is of the most "feminine" types according to this article, but people have always told me that i come off as very androgynous, both in mannerisms and how i present myself. i have never felt comfortable in femininity or masculinity, i'd rather do away with the concepts altogether. i believe there is no correlation between type and femininity/masculinity levels; characteristics like vulnerability, adventurousness, etc aren't gendered. the sooner we abolish that kind of thinking, the better.

also, i thought evolutionary psychology stopped being relevant ages ago. this article is merely unfounded speculation, and also fundamentally biased:
    I second all of what you said, 19th century indeed.

Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hag View Post
    well, that was an entertaining read. it appears Filatova is stuck in the 19th century.

EII is of the most "feminine" types according to this article, but people have always told me that i come off as very androgynous, both in mannerisms and how i present myself. i have never felt comfortable in femininity or masculinity, i'd rather do away with the concepts altogether. i believe there is no correlation between type and femininity/masculinity levels; characteristics like vulnerability, adventurousness, etc aren't gendered. the sooner we abolish that kind of thinking, the better.

also, i thought evolutionary psychology stopped being relevant ages ago. this article is merely unfounded speculation, and also fundamentally biased:
    Yes, I feel pretty "androgynous" myself as well, and often enough come off as that to other people, but in a more of both masculine and feminine way, rather than neither masculine nor feminine. And even if you did gender characteristics like vulnerability and adventurousness, I don't think this article actually gets the individual types right as regarding those whatsoever. I mean, EII and EIE have the exact same masculinity and femininity ratings despite having basically completely opposite behaviors? That's just off. SLI are also not very manly at all from my experience, they tend to be extremely sensitive and vulnerable due to the Si lead. SLE tend to be slightly "androgynous" by modern standards due to Fe HA as well, and IEI, the supposedly least masculine type of all, tend to be pretty gutsy and have no problem being involved in conflicts (I sort of think the Viking berserkers were mostly IEIs for some reason, probably because berserkers supposedly just got amped up on drugs and did shamanic sorts of things which I attribute to IEI). I think whoever wrote this was basing it on MBTI rather than Socionics to be honest, since it says things like "pragmatists are extremely masculine and humanitarians are extremely feminine" rather than looking at Reinen dichotomies, function stacking, or any of the other real Socionics things.

I don't see how Narc said it's "commonsense"...

Also, to add something, I don't see how they rated masculinity and feminity without any regard to introversion and extraversion. It seems if you want a man to go out in public and be initiating and a woman to sit around the house and be responsive you'd want a stereotypically extraverted man and introverted woman above all else (not that that's how extraversion and introversion actually work, but they didn't get how anything else works either).

In terms of stereotypical masculinity/feminity though, here are my observations:

Stereotypicaly masculine: ILI
    Stereotypically feminine: SEI

Everyone else tends to not fit male/female stereotypes in rather significant ways. Gulenko's masculinity/feminity of types seems to have nothing to do with stereotypical ideas of "manliness" or "girliness".
    Last edited by Pallas; 10-02-2016 at 08:51 PM.

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

And now, the elephant in the room... how has a gendered perspective impacted socionics theory as a whole?

Think of romantic attitudes (aggressor-victim/ infantile-caregiver), for example.

Bias cannot be avoided, sure. But it can be detected.

Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chae View Post
    And now, the elephant in the room... how has a gendered perspective impacted socionics theory as a whole?

Think of romantic attitudes (aggressor-victim/ infantile-caregiver), for example.

Bias cannot be avoided, sure. But it can be detected.
    Oh, gendered bias has definitely affected those romantic attitudes.

Aggressor: Wants to be loved abstractly (static/intuitive)
    Victim: Wants to love abstractly (dynamic/intuitive)
    Caregiver: Wants to be loved concretely (static/sensing)
    Infantile: Wants to love concretely (dynamic/sensing)

Aggressor and Caregiver see love as a static state and once they can make the other person love them, they'll stay that way, and Victim and Infantile see love as a dynamic state and something they constantly have to do, so they continually show their admiration for the other person, is the logic behind that. If anything in Socionics needs a name change, it's probably the romantic attitudes.

The obvious problem with how they're characterized to me is that in American culture at least, Victim is supposed to be more masculine and Aggressor more feminine ("women need to play hard-to-get and find a man who really admires them", cf. the knight and the princess, or Goethe's various protagonists who fall in love with these idolized women), although Caregiver is still more masculine and Infantile more feminine (Caregiver = breadwinner), so basically the whole Beta and Gamma quadrants are more stereotypically suited towards masculine romance styles (having Ni/Se) and Alpha and Delta towards feminine (having Ne/Si). However, in reality there are basically an equal amount of people of both sexes in all of the quadras, so romance is probably just a pain in the arse for basically exactly half of the population. Aggressor and Victim seem to have no correlation with any sort of BDSM activities from what I've seen (although that probably has a correlation with Infantile/Caregiver since those are modulated by Si and Se, which do seem to correlate with that kind of thing. Someone should study this).
    Last edited by Pallas; 10-03-2016 at 02:10 AM.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

^aggressor is sensing, caregiver is dynamic, and infantile is static and intuitive

Melodies from Mars~
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

The only element that comes off of overtly anything, is Se which is masculine. The others honestly could vary. For me personally... from most masculine to most feminine, it goes...

Se > Te > Fe > Ti > Ni > Fi > Si > Ne
    SLE > SEE > LIE > EIE > LSI > LSE > ESI > ESE > ILI > IEI > SLI > SEI > LII > ILE > EII > IEE
    ES-Beta,ES-Gamma, EN-Gamma, EN-Beta, IS-Beta, ES-Delta, IS-Gamma, ES-Alpha, IN-Gamma, IN-Beta, IS-Delta, IS-Alpha, IN-Alpha, EN-Alpha, IN-Delta, EN-Delta.
    Extrovert, Extrovert, Extrovert, Extrovert, Introvert, Extrovert,Introvert, Extrovert, Introvert, Introvert, Introvert, Introvert, Introvert, Extrovert, Introvert, Extrovert
    Irrational, Irrational,Rational, Rational, Rational, Rational, Rational, Rational, Irrational, Irrational, Irrational, Irrational,Rational, Irrational, Rational, Irrational

Se seems to be the most influential factor in this o_o And then the whole Extraverted vs Introverted and Rational vs Irrational deal... which actually is just temperament.
    I realize none of that was truly necessary. You can uh leave now and pretend you learned something from me. ;3

TELL ME IF U AGREE OR LEAVE A LIKE AND SUBSCRIBE ^_^

Last edited by chrys; 10-03-2016 at 04:27 AM.

TIM
    ESI-Fi 146w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've always thought ILE-Ti was the most feminine, most beautiful, and the most charming (I hate that I'm too boring for them), then SLE and EIE. I know of a few ex-models who are ILE-Ti. I don't see what's masculine about being a scientist (some scientific fields were started by women and women score higher, on average, on tests of deductive reasoning and spatial relation abilities anyway), being bossy sometimes, and having a crude sense of humor sometimes and not being a "people person". In fact (from my observations), ILE-Ti have the highest right hand 2D4D ratio of all the types. In other words, they have the lowest prenatal testosterone of all the types. And it has been documented by Alyson Blanchard (a very talented ILE-Ti researcher from the U.K.) and Uddin (I think his paper was from University of Michigan) that women who are calmer, less polite, and have less emotional empathy have less prenatal testosterone on average than women who don't go against "traditional gender roles".

LIE, SEE, IEE, and SLI (in that order) are the most masculine.

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Disturbed View Post
    I've always thought ILE-Ti was the most feminine, most beautiful, and the most charming (I hate that I'm too boring for them), then SLE and EIE.
    In fact (from my observations), ILE-Ti have the highest right hand 2D4D ratio of all the types.

Ummm...well there is the research that males with higher digit ratios try not to play favorites with people (ILE trademark) maybe this is biologically more feminine trait where as "playing nice" with females means trying to show off and therefore conquering is a masculine trait.

I have quite high digit ratio for a male (close to +2 SD).

But then you are not agreeing with society's standards which is considered to be masculine trait. It is in eyes of a beholder.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

TIM
    LIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This issue (gender position) depends on subtypes. IEI-Fe is more masculine than IEI-Ni, LIE-Ni is more androgynous than LIE-Te. Also, it depends on appearance vs actual maculinity/feminity. Someone might look more feminine, but turn out to be masculine in behavior or viceversa. Moreover, grooming is another factor, A LIE-Ni uses minimal grooming, hence a LIE-Ni woman might seem more masculine but it is not a reliable measurement for determining feminity. Enneagram is also a very important factor. This is all a very simpleminded approach to the issue it wouldn't surprise me if it has been done by an ESI (and if I'm not mistaken, Filatova is a self-typed ESI).
    Last edited by mclane; 09-23-2019 at 06:39 PM.

TIM
    ESI-Fi 146w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mclane View Post
    This issue (gender position) depends on subtypes. IEI-Fe is more masculine than IEI-Ni, LIE-Ni is more androgynous than LIE-Te. Also, it depends on appearance vs actual maculinity/feminity. Someone might look more feminine, but turn out to be masculine in behavior or viceversa. Moreover, grooming is another factor, A LIE-Ni uses minimal grooming, hence a LIE-Ni woman might seem more masculine but it is not a reliable measurement for determining feminity. Enneagram is also a very important factor. This is all a very simpleminded approach to the issue it wouldn't surprise me if it has been done by an ESI (and if I'm not mistaken, Filatova is a self-typed ESI).
    I agree with everything you said. But don't you think all or almost all ILE-Ti look more feminine (body, face, features, lipstick, earrings, nail polish, application of those things, smoother movements, better fine motor coordination, quieter) than all or almost all ILE-Ne? Do you agree with me that ILE-Ti act more stereotypically feminine in some ways (give more compliments, are more optimistic, are more articulate, their liveliness looks smoother, more elegant, more driven by bodily urges than emotional urges, and is more appropriate to what's going or not going on around them, and are better at care-giving and rule following) compared to the ILE-Ne? Do you agree with me that the ILE-Ti is the "female subtype" overall?

But yes, subtype plays a huge difference in masculinity vs femininity, the SLE-Ti is much more feminine than the SLE-Se and SLE-Ti seem more feminine overall than masculine. Same with LSI-Se being more feminine than LSI-Ti. I personally think not showing intense emotion is more feminine, and LSI-Se show less emotion (especially intensity), on average (not a huge difference, but it's certainly there, they're a lot less tense, much less likely to yell or explode, except sometimes to get what they want) than LSI-Ti and LSI-Se behavior is much less influenced by their own emotional states and they're much more objective, driven by logic and their own experiences, and professional in their behavior towards others (of course their are exceptions).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default hm interesting

+1:
    -2:
    -3:

hm interesting

the scoring of things only makes sense in some parts of the world