An interresting idea that came to me while I was driving myself nuts trying read a russian-to-english translation of the will / authority / phobia / neurosis model...

Is it possible to do an information metabolism analysis of an NLP hypnosis technique? I just thought I'd ask if anyone's ever seen, heard, or thought of trying to do this before I really sink my teeth into it...

if you don't know what NLP is go here to find out
http://www.nlpschedule.com/whats-nlp.html

Here's a pretty simple NLP technique for changing a belief...

The Belief-Change Technique
NLP has a very fast technique for changing beliefs. It’s based on the observation that whenever a belief changes,
there’s a transition from state to state that looks like this:
Conviction -> Doubt -> Disbelief -> Open to a New Belief -> Uncertainty -> New Conviction
and the assumption that those states can be anchored just like anything else. Here’s the pattern:

* The technique involves six "stations". When you’re first starting this, you should write out the stations on pieces of
paper and arrange them in a circle for added visual effect. The stations are,
o Current Belief
o Open to Doubt
o Museum of Old Beliefs
o New Belief
o Open to Believing
o Sacred Place

* When you’re doing the imagining I’m going to talk about, make sure you feel the total experience - visual,
auditory, and kinesthetic (feelings)

* Stand at station 1 and think about your current belief, how it feels.

* Move to station 2 and think about something that you doubt, and how that feels. Now think about your target belief
and how it feels to doubt it.

* Move to station 3 and think about a belief that you used to have but no longer have, and how that feels. Now think
about your target belief and how it feels to no longer believe it. As you leave station 3, imagine that you’re leaving
that belief behind in the museum.

* Move to station 4 and think about the new belief you want to have.

* Move to station 5 and think about something you don’t believe but are open to believing, and how that feels. Now
think of your target belief and how it feels to be open to it.

* Move to station 6 and think about one of your strongest and most sacred beliefs and how that feels. Now think
about your target belief and how it feels to believe it with the same conviction.

That's just a simple one as an example. The technique I was actually thinking about is for dealing with fear. I remembered it while I was reading about the phobia / active will blocks in the socionics model.

Fear
Of particular interest are the techniques for overcoming fear. All fear really is, is a warning signal that you’re about to
experience something that you’ve anchored to pain. A phobia is the same thing but with a much stronger anchor. So all
you need to do to overcome fear is to break that anchor - change the feelings you’ve associated with that situation. This
is called "dissociation".
So without further ado, here is the NLP Fast Phobia/Trauma Cure! This is a dissociation technique that relieves
fears/phobias and removes unwanted emotional residue from a traumatic situation.

* find a place free of distractions where you can concentrate.

* relax.

* anchor yourself to something that gives you powerful feelings of confidence, power, safety, etc.

* imagine yourself sitting in a movie theatre. Take some time to experience this fully. Examine the decor, the screen,
the people seated around you.

* pick an experience that you want to dissociate. For a fear/phobia, if you don’t know the original trauma that caused
your problem, just think of any time when you experienced the unwanted feelings.

* take a "snapshot" of that experience and place it on the screen.

* take some time to examine the submodalities of the image. Alter them so that the image is less intense (make it
black and white, dim, small, far away, two-dimensional, and if it is from your own eyes, change it so that it is from
the viewpoint of a passing stranger, or a bird, or God).

* now make the snapshot into a movie where all the frames have the same qualities as the first one. It’s important
that the movie not be about something you’re afraid of, but about you experiencing the thing you’re afraid of.

* imagine yourself floating up out of your body into the projection booth so that you’re looking down at your body
in the theatre.

* start the movie from up there in the projection booth. Remember, you’re watching yourself sitting in the theatre,
watching a movie.

* Once the movie is done, float back down into your body. Then, imagine yourself stepping back into the
experience.

* The first time this experience happened, you were overcome by the feelings these stimuli caused and were unable
to evaluate the situation properly. This time, as an observer, go back over the experience and re-evaluate it, seeing
it as it really was.

* Now, imagine the movie "rewinding" in your mind. See all the events happen in reverse. When you’re finished,
jump back to the end and rewind it again, but faster. Keep rewinding the movie until you can do it in the space of
about a second, then rewind it again at that same speed five more times.

* Take some time to enjoy not being afraid or upset any more
Now for some notes. It’s essential that you remain impartial (emotionally detached) throughout the movie. If you find
yourself still experiencing the fear, you’re going to have to experiment with it a bit until you get it right, especially if
you have a very vivid imagination. Remember to stay in your seat and don’t become part of the movie till it’s over.
Some things you can try:

* play around with the submodalities; the ones I gave might be wrong for you.

* imagine that you’re in your seat sideways and watching out of the corner of your eye.

* imagine that your best friend/loved one is there watching it with you.

* imagine that there are a bunch of clowns in the theatre with you, or in the background of the movie (don’t do this if
you’re afraid of clowns)

* imagine that the person in the movie is you but the person in the theatre is a stranger, or vice-versa.

* imagine that the movie has subtitles and/or silly piano music playing at the same time.

* imagine you’re driving along a highway and the movie is playing on a drive-in way off in the distance.

* imagine the screen is loose and flapping in the wind.
Be creative. This technique WILL work under the right conditions, but it’s different for everybody.
Like I said, it just seemed interresting.

Another thing I wondered... does NLP affect different personality types in the same way? If not... why? It would seem as though NLP activates specific functions which would cause types to decode it in different ways. Hmmm....