Thread: Unromantic, business-oriented IEIs-INFps - a myth?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Unromantic, business-oriented IEIs-INFps - a myth?

Is there such thing as unromantic, business oriented INFp? Or is this just a legend?

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes I think the "Romantic" in the case of INFps is usually misunderstood.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think "romantic" and "business oriented" are mutually exclusive. INFp romance more or less manifests itself in reflection - the dreaminess we're all apparently famous for.

There are plenty of people of all types happily plugging away in the business world. What is business but the art of commerce (the exchange and flow of goods and services)? Any type can partake in this. What is exchanged, to whom, for what reason, by what means, etc. will all be different. There are tons of companies out there, each with a different business model, a different dynamic, a different ethic and M.O. - some are more romantic than others. What's more, we have 16 functions, each with their own agenda at our disposal, all of which may or may not manifest themselves in our motivations for choosing a partcular occupation, company, work ethic, etc.

You will be hard pressed to find an "unromantic" INFp (at least, one who isn't repressing their Romanticism), but it's not at all hard to find INFps who are business oriented.
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kioshi
    What do you mean by romantic and business oriented.
    Hmm...how would you define "romantic" especially in the context of INFps?

I chose those words because INFps are often described "romantic" in descriptions and they also have Te-PoLR. Te-being usually associated with the drive to succeed in business world or being "business oriented".

from toronto with love ScarlettLux's Avatar
    TIM
    Beta sx 3w4;7w8
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Will you find an unromantic INFp?

The answer is NO.

Dress pretty, play dirty ღ
    Johari
    Nohari

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally I don't see romance related to either of the Thinking or Feeling functions.

And business is not Te.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vague
    Rocky's posts are as enjoyable as having wisdom teeth removed.

Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky
    Personally I don't see romance related to either of the Thinking or Feeling functions.
    Do you see it connected to any other functions, perhaps combinations of some?

And business is not Te.
    Is it something else?
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perhaps it all depends on your definition of "romantic". But anyway, the INFps I know, mostly women, are drama queens, very easily infatuated. This sounds like they should be romantic, but it can also be easily argued that this is exactly the reason why they don't know what genuine romance is.

Hmmmm... reviewing the original question, I think I may have strayed from the subject
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by consentingadult
    I think when people are taken into what would be described as a "romantic" mode they aren't using any judging functions.

And business is not Te.
    Is it something else?
    Lots of types go into business. It's too general.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vague
    Rocky's posts are as enjoyable as having wisdom teeth removed.

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think when people are taken into what would be described as a "romantic" mode they aren't using any judging functions.

And business is not Te.
    Is it something else?
    Lots of types go into business. It's too general.
    I don't think I quite agree: for many years, I considered myself business minded, until one day got myself a nice ISTj boss and found out that most of my working life had been one big playground....

Just kidding... again, it all depends on your definition of "business". Indeed, any type can go into "business". Some are CEO of multinational corporations, others provide indepent consulting services in the "hocus-pocus business" (New Age and stuff). Now lot of people don't consider the latter to be "business"...

Perhaps Xox should elaborate on his definition of "business"??

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm...how about "business minded" = putting effectiveness, pragmatism, materialistic profit, and end result ahead of positive, enjoyable and harmonious human relations (unless of course these kind of human relations are needed to maximize profits and effectiveness).

Another way to ask it is how many INFps out there are willing to (even temporarily) step on people's toes if it is needed for optimizing the business process, make "hard decisions" like firing people if it is required, etc things you sometimes need to do in order to increase profits in a competitive market situation.

Third way to say it is how many INFps are capable of putting their creative Fe aside and using their Te PoLR when the situation calls for it.

Currently I can't come up with better definitions

TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by XoX
    Hmm...how about "business minded" = putting effectiveness, pragmatism, materialistic profit, and end result ahead of positive, enjoyable and harmonious human relations (unless of course these kind of human relations are needed to maximize profits and effectiveness).
    Hmmm... what you seem to be describing is a robot, lol.

An INFp won't intentionally put himself in a position in which he is likely to be disliked, but I've definitely seen instances where circumstances forced them to do this. There are also those cases in which a sense of personal ambition and drive (and a healthy dose of self-preservation) admit one to take a route that pus those harmonious relations in jeopardy - in the end, the pros of ignoring their nagging Fe hopefully outweighed the cons. (The trouble with harmonious relations i, we INFps will be hesitant to terminate ANY relationship - even those that put us in an uncompromising position, and those with unhealthy dynamics.)

The best example I know is the father of one of my friends - about fifteen years ago he founded a company that restores and resells classic cars. My sophomore year of high school, he had to lay off almost a third of his restoration crew, and had to drastically cut the wages of those who were left. This is a relatively small company, and consequently a very close-knit group. For a long time after the layoffs, he was a pretty crummy person to be around. I think his Fe took a bashing. Within the next year and a half, though, the company took in more than had been initially expected, and he's since been able to bring his employees' pay up considerably. He's since regained his good spirits. I think he realized his actions pretty much kept the company from sinking.

I don't know if that qualifies as "unromantic." There was a definite period of anxiety there, and the nature of the monster was such that he could not do this without a lot of personal attachmet to the people he was firing. That said, though, I don't think there's really very many people out there, even among the top echelons of "business minded" folks, who work like robots.
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."

Creepy-Uncle_Sam

This makes perfect sense! Apparently, business is a general concept, but romance is completely specific. I am enlightened and have reached a new level thanks to this topic.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle_Sam
    This makes perfect sense! Apparently, business is a general concept, but romance is completely specific. I am enlightened and have reached a new level thanks to this topic.
    Blah. Stop it already. You don't even sound ESFp. You way too much. Change to your real account and then join the discussion with a more constructive attitude or something

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Baby
    Lol. I had somekind of narrowed ENTj/ESTj profile in my mind when I wrote that

As for the other answers. I have to think about this more before answering anything.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Uuugh. I'd kill myself if my realization was anything like that.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heh, ENTjs are among the most romantic people I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Kioshi
    Romantic Attitude:
    Appeals to individual imagination.
    Values freedom of expression over logic and analytic reasoning.
    Views form and meaning as subjective.

I am somewhat confused. I can see NiFe being characterized as romantic. I cannot see SiTe being characterized as "business oriented", "driven to succeed in the business world", "business minded", or such. But perhaps my views of business are different from your own.
    Hmm... I've seen your posts on Romanticism throughout the board, and a lot of them focus on individuality, which to be honest I have always found a problematic and confused concept. The Blake quote in your signature also tends to make me furious. Then again, I've never seen the quote in context.

Also "freedom of expression over logic and analytic reasoning" just doesn't quite jive with me. I've never felt that individual expression or even art itself was anything separate from logic and reason, and in fact the two can have a very symbiotic relationship. Some of the greatest art in the world tickles our logical faculties.

But anyway, I do agree that Romanticism s a vague concept that even Romantic will not come to a consensus on... which may actually make a case for your individuality argument.

Creepy-pokeball

Some of the greatest art in the world tickles our logical faculties.
    Naughty...

TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jadae
    Some of the greatest art in the world tickles our logical faculties.
    Naughty...

Creepy-pokeball

Im not sure there is such thing an an unromantic INFp if healthy. Altho... what is romantic anyways? Lets ask Mr. Owl:

Of, relating to, or characteristic of romance.
    Given to thoughts or feelings of romance. See Synonyms at sentimental.
    Displaying, expressive of, or conducive to love: a romantic atmosphere.
    Imaginative but impractical; visionary: romantic notions.
    Not based on fact; imaginary or fictitious: His memoirs were criticized as a romantic view of the past.
    often Romantic Of or characteristic of romanticism in the arts.

n.
    A romantic person.
    often Romantic A follower or adherent of romanticism.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [French romantique, from obsolete romant, romance, from Old French romans, romant-, romance. See romance.]
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ro·manti·cal·ly adv.

[Download Now or Buy the Book]
    Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
    Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
    Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

romantic

adj 1: belonging to or characteristic of romanticism or the Romantic movement in the arts; "romantic poetry" [syn: romanticist, romanticistic] 2: expressive of or exciting sexual love or romance; "her amatory affairs"; "amorous glances"; "a romantic adventure"; "a romantic moonlight ride" [syn: amatory, amorous] 3: not sensible about practical matters; unrealistic; "as quixotic as a restoration of medieval knighthood"; "a romantic disregard for money"; "a wild-eyed dream of a world state" [syn: quixotic, wild-eyed] n 1: a soulful or amorous idealist 2: an artist of the romantic period or someone influenced by romanticism [syn: romanticist] [ant: classicist]

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that makes me romantic because i am often non-sensible.
    LII
    that is what i was getting at. if there is an inescapable appropriation that is required in the act of understanding, this brings into question the validity of socionics in describing what is real, and hence stubborn contradictions that continue to plague me.

Creepy-pokeball

But are you sentimental as well? Apparently multiple requirements are needed to be met in order to be romantic.

TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol... for the sake of simplicity, let's say Romanticism is an integral part of being INFp (which it is). We know that Romanticism does NOT necessarily mean spacey, idealistic, airheaded, impractical, gushy, etc. (Hell, take a gander at Krae if you don't believe me . And I don't really think I come across that way to most people.)

So, in essence, I guess what XoX was trying to get at was "Is there and INFp who is not an INFp."

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heh, ENTjs are among the most romantic people I know.
    True, and it's something usually not understood. But in a different way I'd say.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG
    Uuugh. I'd kill myself if my realization was anything like that.
    Would you say that described INTp more than ENTj? Thinking of some extreme case whose functions are not well balanced.