View Poll Results: Which types are most likely to hide who they are from all but those closest to them?

Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • INTj

0 0%
  • ESFj

0 0%
  • ISFp

0 0%
  • ENTp

0 0%
  • ESTp

0 0%
  • INFp

0 0%
  • ENFj

0 0%
  • ISTj

0 0%
  • ESFp

0 0%
  • INTp

0 0%
  • ENTj

0 0%
  • ISFj

0 0%
  • ENFp

0 0%
  • ISTp

0 0%
  • ESTj

0 0%
  • INFj

0 0%
  • 93 100.00%

Thread: what types hide their true selves from most people?

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default what types hide their true selves from most people?

Some people don't really allow others to see who they are or know what's going on in their heads unless it's someone very close to them. Most of the people they come in contact with have absolutely no idea who they are. Obviously, many people do this to some degree, and any type can do be like that.

And I'm NOT talking about fake people here, okay?
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

INT, probably INTp.

ESFp also, and ESFj, but because they just don't really know. They seem to be without introsepction, and as such, don't really think of sharing sometimes. That is a much different twist, and mayhaps not what you thought of, or relevant.

INTps are generally more reserved about sharing themselves than I am, I've noticed. But at the same time, I have layers and facets, too (as opposed to an INTps sheer bluntness of privacy) (((But then again, I've learned and ingrained some social tactics, so it is somewhat of the same thing as the ESFs, really, believe it or not...). I wonder if I can ever express myself completely to someone...

Eh, but then again, any type can, really.
    Void this post (theoretically)
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I voted ISFj
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy
    I voted ISFj
    We know you did, Joy. We know.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UDP II
    ESFp also, and ESFj, but because they just don't really know. They seem to be without introsepction, and as such, don't really think of sharing sometimes.
    Just because they don't want to share their inner world with a confused blabber like you, that doesn't mean they don't have any, foo.

As for the question: anybody which is in an environment that requests adaptation for integration.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

INFjs have two things working against them: 1) they're introverted intuitives, and 2) they're rather socially self-concious people who want to please everyone. This results in people who do not necessarily reveal themselves to others.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Initially I thought Fi-PoLR types (ENTp, ESTp) and the natural chameleon ENFj. With these types it is very hard to figure out the true person because they are often kind of animated.

Second thought was...perhaps introverts are naturally more likely to do that in the end. Perhaps even those with leading Fi (INFj, ISFj).

So I ended up with this pretty conflicting view that extroverts with Fi PoLR or introverts with leading Fi might be the ones. Of course everyone with leading Ni or Ne might have to hide a lot of perceptions from others. Someone with a leading Te have to fake with role function in order to not come out as an annoying prick.

Ok. I can see many kind of approaches which could be true. I'm just going with gut feeling but I'm not telling what I will vote

Creepy-aurora_faerie

shit i forgot isfj

and i accidentally put enfj cuz i was thinking "fake"

whoops

well switch them

i also put infp and entp

Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is a distinction between what you don't show (by nature), or what you purposely hide from other people, perhaps even yourself. The latter you will be able to observe in all types if they are highly neurotic.

I think introverted types have a tendency not to show their real selfs, but this does not necessarily mean they are purposely trying to hide it, probably more natural style. The Big 5 relates self-disclosure to extraversion, and inappropriate self-disclosure to the combination of high neuroticsm and extraversion. But I have the impression that this kind of extraversion is not quite the same as Jungian Extraversion.
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't have types figured out of enough people to be able to speak for every type.

My husband, who is ISTp, and my sister, who is INFj, both do this.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker Mom
    I don't have types figured out of enough people to be able to speak for every type.

My husband, who is ISTp, and my sister, who is INFj, both do this.
    My new girl friend is probably INFj. Hell, I really have no clue as to what's going on inside her mind. All I know is that's she's desperate for having a baby
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Introverts mostly. IxxPs maybe. Oh, and ENFjs do not have their true selves. When they "hide" - they "are", when they don't - they don't exist. Or, when they hide they are their true selves. Thus, this question is not applicable to ENFjs.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fever
    INFj...they naturally hide themselves because our reasons for doing things can be so foreign to other people that it's just too hard to explain most of the time ... that is, if anyone really cares to begin with. if our ideas conflict with our environment, we would probably rather just keep it to ourselves than expend the energy to defend them, unless though the environmental pressure becomes too much. also we are not only in conflict with environment but also within ourselves. it's defence basically.
    True.

Creepy-Diana

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what is this "real self"? it seems to be a bunch of cockamamy bullshit to make people feel good about themselves when they don't measure up in the eyes of others. oh, sure I'm not all that impressive but you can't see my "real self" or else you would see how great I am!

Creepy-Diana

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro-the-Lion
    what is this "real self"? it seems to be a bunch of cockamamy bullshit to make people feel good about themselves when they don't measure up in the eyes of others. oh, sure I'm not all that impressive but you can't see my "real self" or else you would see how great I am!
    You kidding????

I'd feel pity for the poor souls who got to see my entire "real self"!!
    It'd send them into the nuthouse.

Hmm, maybe that wouldn't be such a bad idea.......
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Creepy-Diana

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Diana
    lol ann! You'll send them to the nuthouse, and they'll send me At least I'll have some folks to talk to there who've already had some exposure to delta NFs
    *whines*
    But then I'd be all alone!!!!
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anndelise
    Oh, I do that all the time! Dont you just love acting out??

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this is why i want teh mental internet!!!

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro-the-Lion
    this is why i want teh mental internet!!!
    hehe, I was actually going to say something about bringing the mental internet on....but i couldn't remember what it was called...so I deleted the comment out.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

INFj. i would give them more than one vote if i could.

they are probably the most mysterious type hands down. you can get to know an ISFj (i think?) ISTj is pretty open, surprisingly so, about their past.

you will never ever ever ever know the past of an INFj completely. somewhat, maybe. my mom tells me stories now that took years and years and years to come out. (i wish she'd been more upfront about a lot of stuff, actually.) i don't know if she was waiting for me to be the "right age" or what, but she's always been really mysterious like that.
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think every type is capable of this. Everyone has a public and a private self.
    All Hail The Flying Spaghetti Monster

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fever
    INFj...they naturally hide themselves because our reasons for doing things can be so foreign to other people that it's just too hard to explain most of the time ... that is, if anyone really cares to begin with. if our ideas conflict with our environment, we would probably rather just keep it to ourselves than expend the energy to defend them, unless though the environmental pressure becomes too much. also we are not only in conflict with environment but also within ourselves. it's defence basically.
    Umm... I do that too.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vague
    Rocky's posts are as enjoyable as having wisdom teeth removed.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Instead of asking: "what types hide their true selves from most people?" a better question might be "what types are most open about their true selves?". Everyone hides something but some types perhaps hide more than others.

Anyways in my experience ESFps hide the least. Or perhaps they are just so clever to hide things that I don't notice it. But they seem to talk so much about themselves even intimate details that they don't seem very private to me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have to agree that introverted types tend to keep alot to themselves. I am very curious about introverted sensing types though, esp ISXPs. ISTPs seem almost incapable of expressing much of what goes on inside of them which frustrates them. They express themselves so much better in writing than in person. I think 'in person' is too intense for them.
    I worked with one introverted guy who is ISFJ. He seemed 'off' to me. He is very self effacing and quiet. It turnes out he was very gifted. He taught himself German and travels all over the world. He loves movies, books and literature that I would never have imagined just looking at him superfically. He has an excellent memory for all kinds of information. It boggles my mind that most people know none of this about him.

I dont think IEE could win any awards in this catagory but I do believe that they are very good at only exposing part of themselves to others.

Topaz
    The artifact which is the source of my power will not be kept on the Mountain of Despair beyond the River of Fire guarded by the Dragons of Eternity. It will be in my safe-deposit box. The same applies to the object which is my one weakness.