Thread: ISTp going into crisis mode

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default ISTp going into crisis mode

I'm posting this mainly just because it's funny. And my husband and I don't get upset with each other often so maybe an example of an issue in a dual marriage might be interesting to people? Or maybe you'll be amused by reading about how cheap ISTps are? Or maybe how ditzy and gullible ENFps can be?

A few months ago, I bought my husband some running shoes. The guy at the shoe store said that I could get three months free of three magazines. He said all I had to do was cancel the magazines before the three months were up and I'd never get sent a bill. They'd even send me a reminder before they billed me so I'd remember to cancel.

I thought that sounded cool. So I signed up for the free magazines.

OK so the other day was three months so I decided to call and cancel even though I'd never gotten the fabled reminder. I got stuck in this phone-tree purgatory where it would say, "To speak to a representative, please press 0" and I'd press 0 and it would kick me back to a menu I'd answered earlier. I got into this phone tree circle and couldn't navigate my way out.

So yesterday I gave the stuff to my husband and told him what was up. I said I couldn't get through the phone tree. He called and got frustrated with the phone tree but made it through to a representative. The representative said she would cancel two but we'd already been billed for one of them. My husband said we weren't going to pay for it, and she said it had already been charged to our credit card.

He checked and indeed it had been charged. Apparently the shoe store had shared our credit card info with the magazine people and they had charged us $50.

My husband went into crisis mode. He was very upset with me for falling for this scheme. He was very upset with the shoe store for sharing our credit card info. He was very upset with the magazine people for coming up with the scheme.

He said to me, "I know you always think the best of people and assume people aren't out to rip you off, but please from now on call me before you agree to anything like this!" I think I got off the hook with just that.

But he has now reported our credit card stolen so that no future magazine charges can be put on it. Today we are going to the bank to get another credit card.

I do feel stupid for falling for it. *sigh* But geeze it's only $50. It isn't like the world is going to cave in!

I will be hearing about this $50 for EVER. Truly.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't you have an internal warning system that starts to scream murder when such an offer is made?

I know they say there is a correlation of this phenomenon to being ENFp, but I also wonder if simply being female has anything to do with it. Whatever type of woman, they always seem to queue up for "free lunches".
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: ISTp crisis

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker Mom
    But he has now reported our credit card stolen so that no future magazine charges can be put on it. Today we are going to the bank to get another credit card.

I do feel stupid for falling for it. *sigh* But geeze it's only $50. It isn't like the world is going to cave in!

I will be hearing about this $50 for EVER. Truly.
    Richard says that all ya'll had to do was write a letter to the magazine company telling them that you had canceled the subscription prior to the deadline, and that you request them to refund the money to you. If they do not, then you send a copy of that letter to the credit card company and request them to......oh hell, i forgot the term he said....but in essence, they take it off the bill and get their money back from the magazine company.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I must be part ISTP because Id make sure I got my money back. Ive had to deal with similar situations and I dont let it go. Its the principle. Thats why I never take those promotional deals even when they sound really good. I dont take subscriptions. If I want something I'll just go to the store and buy it. Or even better just read it there and leave it there :wink: Even if I get a late charge I still argue or ask for a break because I always pay my bill on time. Most companies will give good customers a break at least once a year. Sometimes Im charged a late fee when I did pay on time and I will research and then insist the fee be refunded. I pay my credit cards off at the end of each pay cycle. If for some reason I have to carry a payment over for a period of time I call and ask for a lower interest rate with the implied suggestion that another agency will give me better rates. Ive done it twice so far and got lower rates. This is fun in a way and feels like a victory to me. However, Im not really a penny pincher. Lord knows Im somewhat wasteful in other areas but those usually involve food or fun :wink:

Topaz
    The artifact which is the source of my power will not be kept on the Mountain of Despair beyond the River of Fire guarded by the Dragons of Eternity. It will be in my safe-deposit box. The same applies to the object which is my one weakness.