Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Forrest Gump

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky

LOL again. This is part of the reason why I found your comments like this funny. You have no ability to think for yourself, it seems. All you've ever done on this forum is throw around the words "concrete", "abstract", "intuitive", and "context", which is a sign that you don't actually understand the words you're saying, or know how they apply to individual situations.

It's a disorder called verbal stereogysm btw, and basically refers to people who use the same words over and over again despite the context, and clearly are out of place.

All I'm saying is that you're view of me is wrong, and throwing you're favorite four words at me has no place in this conversation, since they're irrelevant.

And for the record, I knew exactly what you meant. You *thought* that I took what you said too "literally", but it was humorous because, one, you always use that word no matter what the situation, and two, it could be said that you also took what I said "literally", depending on the point of view. My post was only a reaction to yours. Even if you don't think you're self-centered, me and other people still find what you say is offensive, and that's important.

And if you're thinking of replying with another post using the words "intuition" or "concrete", then withhold yourself.

I'm alergic to your bullshit and it may cause me to react again.
    At this point it's not even worth debating, and I have better things to do then to be engaged in a childish conflict when I simply had a desire to learn some new information. If you find it offensive, that's quite frankly your problem, because it isn't intended to be such, and others seemed to realize that.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nessy
    At least,
    You COMPLETELY missed the point.
    why can't you refute without this kind of pose? If steve6 is worse than you about this, it seems to me this phrase got him and he couldn't help arguing against. You will never avoid silly squabbles without stopping such usage.
    Yes Exactly!!!

Quote Originally Posted by consentingadult

Fascinating, that this statement made by Steve6 pisses Rocky that much off. I'm not saying Rocky is wrong, but to me Steve6's remark sounds like a sincere question, an expression of curiosity. I read no implications of N types being more wise. What I read, is the idea that N types love "wisdoms", not that they are wise people themselves, that N types have a tendency to hang such slogans over their beds, so that they are reminded of them. And I read it as he not making a statement, but he asking a question, which he wants answered because he wants to know and understand.
    Thank You you completely nailed it!

But it's not just this post I'm reacting to. Pretty much all of his posts have been the same.
    Well, if all of his posts are like that, perhaps he and I should get together for a beer instead, because I won't take offense. That is, until we get to personal issues, and I will feel my feelings ignored by him.... :wink:
    LOL

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You too late, mods
    Late for what? Anyway, perhaps it would make sense to lock the thread if the off-topic bickering continues.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Expat
    You too late, mods
    Late for what? Anyway, perhaps it would make sense to lock the thread if the off-topic bickering continues.
    Good point - I think it's time to get back on topic.

So it seems the consensus on Forrest Gump is that:

Forrest: ISFp or ISFj

Forrest's Mother: ESFj or even ESTj

Lieutenant Dan: ESTj

Jenny: INFp or ESFp (I guess depending on which part of the movie)
    Some seemed to see more Fe, some more Fi.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jadae
    Maybe you live in a world full of mindless flower-sniffers. I don't.
    *puts out a dish of Fox food (no flowers added) by the door step*
    LOL

No, I just live with mindless flowers.

Quote Originally Posted by Expat
    So it's late. Bickering has already begun before I joined, and this kind of topics are way too easy to bicker by such thoughtless denials. Don't you think it's only a temporal deal?
    ex-nameless ixtp
    *** Warning - Risk of poor communication and late response.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So it's late. Bickering has already begun before I joined, and this kind of topics are way too easy to bicker by such thoughtless denials. Don't you think it's only a temporal deal?
    I'm not sure if I understood what you mean. Anyway, it is impossible to stop bickering before it has started.

As for Jenny's type, I think she is one of those characters that do not consistently correspond to any single type.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that N types have a tendency to hang such slogans over their beds
    Did I really write this? This is not proper English, is it? Darn West-Germanic family ties
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forest Gump was probably IxFP. Come on now, just think of vague and you'll see a Forest Gump type with a higher IQ.
    lol I see what you are getting at. The way the narration played into the events was brilliant. The movie itself is kinda Vaguesque.

btw, bumpies

The innocence of the role/character was so touching. It made being slow-to-figure-out-the-meaning-of-events a virtue. He excelled in everything! lol So damn endearing. I love this movie. Love the narration of thoughts. Love Tom Hanks!

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You watching it right now too?

FG just got shot in the ass.....
    and now

" I GOTTA FIND BUBBA!!!!!!!"
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UDP
    You watching it right now too?

FG just got shot in the ass.....
    and now

" I GOTTA FIND BUBBA!!!!!!!"
    ahhahaha just watched it on cable about half an hour ago. Watching 24 now.

"I GOTTTTAAA FIND BUUBBBAAA!!!"

OMG I cried so much.

"IF YOU NEED ANYTHING JENNY, I"LL BE CLOSE BY. (talking to her gravestone)"

/me sobs

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does sobbing make it more enjoyable?
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UDP
    Does sobbing make it more enjoyable?
    ?

I never thought of it like that. I'd say no, because of the eye puffyness/irritation I have to deal with afterwards. And because of the emotional distress I feel suffocated with. It takes me literally about 20 or so minutes to release all the images/emotions that I experienced.

But then again I'd say yes, because it caused me to experience something warm. So I dunno. lol

How about for you?

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    332 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It does for me. I don't cry much, but it feels good.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Forrest grump

Forrest grump is such a goodmovie, LsI-EIE....
    (D)IEE~FI-(C)SLE~Ni E-5w4(Sp/Sx)/7w8(So/Sp)/9w1(sp/sx)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    1)
    A girl who I want to date, asks me: well first tell me how tall you are?
    My reply: well I will answer that, if you first tell me how much you weigh!

2)
    A girl I was dating said she was oh so great at sex etc, but she didn't do blowjobs.
    My reply: Oh I'm really romantic etc, I just will never take you out to dinner.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I saw it some ten years ago so I can't be very certain about this at all, but from vague memory I'm inclined to think the movie is SLI-IEE (if it features duality at all), with Gump being SLI and Jenny being IEE.

ETA: I had to google it because I thought maybe 'Forrest Grump' was a spoof of Forrest Gump or something. lol
    Last edited by unefille; 09-20-2008 at 11:52 PM.
    ()
    3w4-1w2-5w4 sx/sp

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post
    lol fixed!
    ()
    3w4-1w2-5w4 sx/sp

TIM
    Sx/Sp 2w3
    Mentioned
    352 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Major bump because this shit's been playing all day so I've been watching it in my thanksgiving food coma lmao. Also fun to dig up ancient forum drama. But anyways I'm not sure of Forrest's type besides ethical and sensing; his mom is ESE or LSE, obviously Si creative. Jenny tho, is hella SEE (maybe Fi subtype which would throw people off to beta NF) and paradigm unhealthy 7w6 imo. I can see any ExFx besides ESE too, tho, she is hard to type because of how unhealthy she is, but whatever her type is is my type. Definitely not IEI though, that's just a weird typing lol - being a freedom loving hippie doesn't make anyone IEI by default.
    Last edited by flames; 11-25-2016 at 01:25 AM.
    ・゚*✧ 𝓘 𝓌𝒾𝓁𝓁 𝓃𝑜𝓉 𝒶𝒸𝒸𝑒𝓅𝓉 𝒶 𝓁𝒾𝒻𝑒 𝓘 𝒹𝑜 𝓃𝑜𝓉 𝒹𝑒𝓈𝑒𝓇𝓋𝑒 ✧*:・゚

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whaaa? I just saw Forest Gump on TV couple weeks ago and was thinking about his type. Lt Dan ESI and Gump LIE? His Mom LSE (actress playing is ESE to me)? Bubba ESE ? Jenny EIE ..SEE ..?

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    332 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree that Forrest is ESI and Jenny is Beta NF.

TIM
    LIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not too sure about these:

Forrest: SLI-Te
    Jenny: EIE-Fe
    Bubba: SEE-Se
    Dan: LSI-Se
    Forrest's mom: ESI-Fi

TIM
    Sx/Sp 2w3
    Mentioned
    352 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Back again... four years later; just rewatched tonight. (With my mom!- So there was undoubtedly a lot of cheesy emotional feedback polluting the living room for the whole thing; mostly us grinning ear to ear at the cutesy moments and just as quickly looking heartbroken at the, well, heartbreaking stuff. It was certainly the most emotional I’ve ever felt watching it and it almost felt like watching it for the first time even though I am more than familiar with the plot details by now... I think it just goes to show that any decent movie feels incomplete without an (engaging! attentive!) audience to accompany you. I mean, yeah obviously I’ve watched countless things on Netflix by myself, sometimes for days on end even, but I will always prefer at least one other person watching something with me because I absolutely crave to hear and see (and even better, share the same) emotional reactions and opinions from other people on something we’re watching together. Maybe the audience’s real time reactions actually has jack shit to do with the true quality of a movie and it’s really just a matter of me being Fe heavy... or maybe that’s universal hence the existence of the standard movie theater (would Fe PoLR ever adore genuinely laughing at something hilarious at the movie theater simultaneously with the whole room like I do? Asking the real questions here~).

Anyways, on to the real subject here:

I still find Jenny the most intriguing and difficult to type of the film and I still found her very easy to sympathize with... her arc was a very interesting look at trauma and drug addiction and how they mesh. I think I still hold the belief that she was ultimately too damaged (along with not enough substantial screen time, perhaps (we heard much more of Forrest talking about her [and mostly just him talking about how he loved her rather than truly about her as a person to the point that he was pretty much clueless on what WE saw of her] than her own point of view but she also seemed more naturally quiet than him throughout most of her life, especially during her final years though her being sick and fatigued could play into that, of course, but it seemed like a natural progression too as she was no longer the rebellious and outspoken young adult we knew most of the movie but by her deathbed rather a near middle aged, soft spoken and responsible single mother) to be properly typed and I find it somewhat peculiar that, along with sharing the disease of addiction with her character, I also arguably share the pitfall maybe being too fucked up to have a clear, singular type... and the fact both me and her seem most often typed either EIE or SEE (with smaller votes for IEE or IEI... types I could also realistically see myself as if the former two didn’t fit much more) by other people- it’s just pretty cool to see patterns work out like that. I’ve also had a long history of latching on to fictional characters I related to, probably because I struggled to have a coherent sense of my own identity without some outside framework, BUT I’ll save that one for later because I think Jenny’s trauma is enough for one post.

I never understood the hate her character got, personally, I mean Lieutenant Dan shared a lot of similar struggles with her, chiefly trauma and drug addiction- they BOTH cleaned their acts up by the end, but he was easily far more problematic through the course in my eyes. I think the Jenny hate might really just be some kind of soft sexism, really, she is very far from the stereotypical female love interest in media and she always loved following her own path more than she loved Forrest. I do think she was unnecessarily cold towards him many times but she was clearly a good person above it all. I think people largely ignore how Forrest was problematic in his own ways, I mean he was no different than a stalker towards her at many points I think she responded a lot better to a mentally challenged man being obsessed with her (with the obsession itself not having much basis on anything tangible to begin with... I never quite understood why he loved her so deeply when he didn’t even know much about her... I think it was more than implied he was never able to grasp her being abused as a child, her promiscuity and drug abuse, her emotional problems, low self esteem... he certainly couldn’t comprehend why she was always running away and incapable of loving him... so what does this leave behind for her personality wise that he could understand and love so intensely that she was quite literally the only person he was ever -romantically- in love with? Did he just love her because she was the only one who didn’t immediately reject him as a child upon meeting him, because she was kind and his only friend, and because she was pretty?- because that is all very superficial to me. I just didn’t find his infatuation very plausible the whole time, though I guess I can’t ignore his lower IQ and maybe that because of that, he didn’t need very good reasons to love her unconditionally- I just wonder if he were of average intelligence and actually knew everything about her if he would feel the same way. ) than the average woman today would, for a multitude of reasons.

Rewatching it now, I am not so keen on typing her SEE as I was in the past... Clearly not 1D Se (again, IEI is a poor typing for her, IMO) as her presence and force was normally observable and she made shit happen for herself constantly rather than just wasting away and I think she was rather an extravert- compare her to Forrest who had, like 2 close friends in his life whereas Jenny always had a variety of different people coming and going around her and she seemed most in her element in group settings (Introvert depth vs. extravert breadth); I mean, yeah, Forrest was by far the open book of the two and he was arguably friendlier on the surface (tells life story to people at bus stops...) but that seemed like a result of his mental impairment more than anything. Next functions- is she Fi or Fe? Now this is where things get a lot trickier because I see a great deal of both and she’s clearly an ethical type. Upon rewatching though, I don’t really see any focus on individual morals from her- yes, she does join the counterculture but I think she was more in it for her’s and other’s emotional expression and to be part of something greater than herself which is more Fe to me. I actually pick up on some subtle hints that a lot of her low self esteem seems to come from not having a stable identity of her own... She wants to be a bird (and they often fly in groups!), then she wants to be a folk singer, then she wants to be a hippie, then she wants to be a black panther (ally), then she wants to be disco, then she ends up slightly conservative for a lack of a better word... she only really strikes me as Fi/Te valuing-esque in the final phase of her life when she stops following the trendy crowds and quits partying in favor of being a good mother and a decent worker + in contrast to the rest of the movie, she seems secure in handling personal relationships (Fi). I think she seemed more Fi-like as a child, as well. Forrest seems to value personal relationships above everything and how to properly manage them. He also seems to come from a place of morality and wanting to be a good person and do the right thing more readily and it seems to function in a case by case basis, ex. not making a one-size-fits-all solution for everybody at large but rather, focusing on smaller things like... he knew Jenny hated her dad’s house so he bulldozed it specifically for her, and not because it was abandoned, run down, or looked bad in the grander scheme of the community; he took on shrimp boating after Bubba died for Bubba’s legacy and then shared profits with Bubba’s family; he mowed public lawns for free; he didn’t do anything because it was a group trend / sentiment / atmosphere abiding (except maybe joining the army) whereas Jenny seemed more interested in the emotional environment and being part of a movement (especially counterculture which points towards Beta as well). I think Forrest has a much stronger (and unchanging) idea of who he is as well. This is unrelated, but I found it interesting that Jenny preferred to speak her mind wherever possible and assert herself but still subjected herself to a conga line of abusive boyfriends that she submitted to- it’s a lot more realistic than depicting her as either a full blown tsundere or shrinking doormat as a result of her abuse which is the more typical approaches, I think. Now, wrapping her character up, I will briefly talk about Ni vs Ne. I think we see these functions far less than we otherwise should because her screen time is overwhelmingly shared with Forrest and she can only get so philosophical with him for obvious reasons but I think she manages to touch deeper subjects with him better than even his mom did (Forrest’s mom’s well known phrase of life being a box of chocolates- never knowing what you’re gonna get seems like a very Ne philosophical remark as it seems more objective and externally based and impersonal [and Ne is often expressed in alike connections that can apply to anyone/anything in general] compared to Jenny’s singular vision existential question of “who do you want to become?”; I think Forrest is interested in both styles of thought but I think the latter example made him legitimately try to think on his own more whereas the former is almost something he just automatically parrots whenever it feels right. I think Jenny always seemed a bit ahead of her time, too, even if she was “with the times” which, I think is more true of people with healthy Ni. Now, her consistently impulsive and reckless behavior might threaten to blow up the whole idea of her being an Ni ego- especially the highly strategic EJ brand of Ni, but I think she’s like that more due to being either D or C in DCNH (classically, C is said to resemble an Ep temperament and D Ej but I think D has the most pronounced Se or Se tendencies and we know Se is the most impulsive) as well as being a Sx/So with very shit Sp last... Also, I think EIEs have the most flexible temperaments of any sociotype what with Fe absorbing outside emotions / atmosphere and Ni being fluent in pattern awareness (ex. they know what pattern of behavior -at least seemingly- works bests for others and themselves... I think Jenny, like me, grew up in a suffocating environment and so she found a free bird pattern of behavior to work best for her interests and in connecting with other people as well- if she is always running away from her problems emotionally and physically, she never has to confront the pain which benefits herself, and if she keeps running her emotional scars are unlikely to bubble to the surface therefore also making it easier to connect with other people, because most people typically don’t give a shit about your innermost demons and get scared off if it’s focused on too much (and she has a lot, clearly). The only thing she actively encourages and doesn’t run away from is the aggressive and controlling way her boyfriends always treat her because that is what she perceives as true love, not Forrest’s expression of it- and it also probably serves as an unconscious excuse for her to endlessly repeat her escapist tactics. If she keeps getting abused, she can keep avoiding everything, justifiably. Therefore all that: she was impulsive. But she absolutely refused to change until the very last moment which seems more akin to rational types to me. She stated in one scene that Forrest and her live very different lives but I don’t think that’s as true as she believes: they both lived very experience heavy / varied lives and they both liked to run away- just in Forrest’s case it was more like “wandering off” out of curiosity or duty than running away but we can’t forget that the last time Jenny disappeared from his life, instead of emotionally confronting it he literally went running for a couple years straight. I think Forrest had a much more experienced life than Jenny, actually. He was a football star, in the army, a ping pong champion, a shrimp boat captain, traveled from coast to coast on foot, wound up in decades worth of major historical moments, and was a father. Jenny was in playboy, did drugs, had sex, lived a nomadic lifestyle, and changed her look up significantly every couple years and the only productive thing she did in her entire life was work as a waitress and when she went to college I guess but she blew that (both of these suggest a lower and devalued Te, to me). Briefly a mother as well. Having sex and changing your style should happen to every typical human at least once in their life, so I don’t know if I would even count that; shit, don’t know if I would even count playboy in this day and age of normalized nudes and sexting. I think Forrest’s accomplishments actually highlight a Se in ego and Te valuing (or vice versa but he’s an ethical type through and through) whereas Jenny’s showcases Fe because all of her escapades are involved with (emotional) expression (minus the physical traveling I suppose). I think their personalities really do compliment each other and they make up for what the other lacks even if they’re not duals (but close!!! ). Ok, I think it’s due time I tie the loose ends and give my updated list on the most likely types:

Forrest: ESI
    Jenny: EIE
    Forrest’s mom: LSE
    Lieutenant Dan: LSE

And sorry I only briefly brought up the characters besides Jenny and Forrest in passing in my little essay of sorts but I did not find them interesting to study (Bubba in particular is just a flat character TBH ). Lieutenant Dan almost was because I did find his complicated (read: most of the time, non existent or pessimistic) relationship to God and religion interesting but beyond that he was just a second Jenny- maybe I would have took the bite if they gave him a from-childhood background story as well.
    Last edited by flames; 01-15-2021 at 11:15 AM.
    ・゚*✧ 𝓘 𝓌𝒾𝓁𝓁 𝓃𝑜𝓉 𝒶𝒸𝒸𝑒𝓅𝓉 𝒶 𝓁𝒾𝒻𝑒 𝓘 𝒹𝑜 𝓃𝑜𝓉 𝒹𝑒𝓈𝑒𝓇𝓋𝑒 ✧*:・゚

Mentioned
    244 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

tl;dr

TIM
    Sx/Sp 2w3
    Mentioned
    352 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)