Thread: Bing Crosby

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Bing Crosby

Well I am back. How's everyone? Don't have as much time now, but glad to see some of the old gang are still here.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know anything about him, for the record.

INFj
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that's so funny

I opened the thread expecting to see Bill Cosby, and I thought the same, but it was buried somewhere underneath other layers of thought and bing crosby's eyes quickly distracted me.
    SEE

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Joy... Bill Cosby doesn't even look anything like this (*Bing Crosby*) guy's pictures.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vague
    Rocky's posts are as enjoyable as having wisdom teeth removed.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Baby deleted his post lol

anyways, I know who both bill cobsy (the comedian) and bing crosby (the dancer, similar to fred astaire) are. I said that I was suprised when I didn't see bill cosby when I opened the thread, but I was quickly distracted by bing crosby's eyes.
    SEE

Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Woah... I swear I didn't delete my post. Anyway, I said, right after Joy's first post:

Quote Originally Posted by Baby
    That's not Bill Cosby. That's Bing Crosby!
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SEE

Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

See, now THIS is Bill Cosby (and the title of this thread is still wrong):

Wow... you guys got an "Ignore" feature, while I was gone! It's pretty!
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you guys, I edited the title.

Do you have any suggestion about his type?
    Well I am back. How's everyone? Don't have as much time now, but glad to see some of the old gang are still here.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

INFj?
    SEE

Creepy-aurora_faerie

[quote="Joy"]

bing crosby (the dancer, similar to fred astaire) quote]

I thought he was a singer, simular to Frank Sinatra

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

he sings, he dances, he acts <3
    SEE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

INFJs, do you agree?

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

INFjs like him make me wonder if I'm ESTj after all

(kidding)
    SEE

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Bing Crosby

Bing Crosby: INFx (IEI or EII)

‘If not always (or even often) sexual, the feelings that American men might have had for each other during the Second World War had had no widespread precedent for years, not since the culture had begun inducing such anxiety about same-sex affection. Combat, actual or potential, gave to men’s wartime relationships a peculiar intensity and tenderness that was no doubt as common in the war as it was rare in civilian life.* No wonder that popular singer Kate Smith reported that one of the most requested songs during her many visits to troops overseas was “My Buddy,” a mournful song to an absent love. [Will Friedwald, liner notes for “Kate Smith: Sixteen Most Requested Songs,” Columbia, CT 46097. Berube alludes to the song’s popularity and briefly discusses the “buddy system” in Coming Out under Fire, 37-40, 187-190.]

Nights are long since you went away

I think about you all through the day

Miss your voice, the touch of your hand

I long to know that you’ll understand

My buddy, my buddy

Your buddy misses you.

[“My Buddy,” Walter Donaldson, Gus Kahn, and Eric Lane, 1922. (Lane was also the author of “Goodbye G.I. Joe” and the intriguingly titled “Pansies Everywhere.”) Though “My Buddy” was written well before World War II and Al Jolson had had some success with it, the war made the song famous. Along with Kate Smith and others, Bing Crosby and Frank Sinatra recorded it, and it was even a frequent theme song for wartime Warner Brothers cartoons. Berube, 38; Friedwald, liner notes.]

Exceptional in its own fashion, has there been anything in American popular music quite like “My Buddy” since the war? Any other mainstream song primarily imagined as being sung man-to-man — other than son to father or vice versa — that so directly expresses affection?’
    —John Ibson

- Robert Christgau:

http://www.robertchristgau.com/get_artist2.php?id=146

A Centennial Anthology of His Decca Recordings [MCA/Decca, 2003]
    Three years late, I downed Gary Giddins's biography, and thus armed found it easy enough to access these 50 songs. Giddins rewrites history to make room for Crosby, an aggressively pan-ethnic everyman with a Jesuit education and a wild-oats past who had the confidence and the sense of rhythm to put his big voice to modest uses--and dominate our mass culture, movies and music both, for longer than FDR was president. Urged to be all things to all Americans by Decca's Jack Kapp, he avoided the fancy songs beboppers would soon sing changes on and the ambitious arrangers who started Frank Sinatra on the road to Art. But he never condescended to his tunes, and he picked good ones. Credit his decency and intelligence and you can comprehend the attractions of an American dream that deserves better than the exploitation to which it's still subjected by ruling-class cynics he would have seen through in a minute. A

‘The stark changes in Life’s characterization of men before, during, and after the war and the similar changes in everyday photographs of men together bear an interesting resemblance to some contemporaneous shifts in representations of males in American film. The wisecracking camaraderie of the five Bob Hope-Bing Crosby Road pictures of the 1940s had not yet waned in The Road to Bali in 1952, but that was the pair’s only movie together in that decade. In their final joint effort, The Road to Hong Kong in 1962, the chemistry of the war years was long gone. One relationship between men in American popular culture that was able to span the forties and the fifties was the one between Jack Benny and Eddie “Rochester” Anderson, a union whose genuine intimacy was perhaps shrouded from audiences by the distractions of race and class.

In the movies of the 1950s the descendants of Hope and Crosby became Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis, a duo remembered more for their parting than for their coupling. Their characters in The Caddy in 1953 seldom interact, their friendship usually rendered ridiculous by Lewis’s shrill, juvenile excess. Genuine affection is suggested when together they sing “What Would You Do without Me?”—a song that includes the lines “We will be just like lovers, you and I.” Yet this was the fifties; the song had to end with the men pummeling each other to the point of demolishing their straw hats.

A decade earlier, a fight had not been the obligatory end to a lighthearted suggestion of romance between men. In The Road to Utopia in 1945, Hope and Crosby managed to get through a duet of “I Don’t Care Where I’m Goin’ Just as Long as I’m with You” without having to hurt each other.’
    —John Ibson, Picturing Men, pp. 181; 168, 169
    Last edited by HERO; 05-04-2014 at 06:14 AM.