View Poll Results: Do you like clubbing?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

4 18.18%
  • No.

18 81.82%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nightclubs

Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Nightclubs

I hate them. I really fucking HATEHATEHATEHATEHATE them. I hate the deafening crappy music that you can't even dance to. I hate the seizure-inducing or non-existent lighting. I hate the overpriced booze. I hate the vacuous, obnoxious narcissism surrounding me from every direction... closing in on me, everywhere, like a death trap, can't breathe... sweat and booze breath and cologne and perfume and drugs. I hate the obnoxious drunks. I hate having to get gussied up and wear expensive clothes so that I can get inside the damn place, only to be drenched in sweat and the residue from other people being all up in my business. I hate fearing that I may get mugged on the way home.

I've been to a handful of nice, low-key ones or ones that are essentially nightly raves, and I liked the hippie, psychedelic feel of them... but the majority are just not enjoyable places to me.
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Word.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

A dusty and dreadful charade. Scapegrace's Avatar
    TIM
    ill
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They're literally my idea of torture. If forced to chose between three hours in a night club and a brief water-boarding episode I would chose the latter.
    "[Scapegrace,] I don't know how anyone can stand such a sinister and mean individual as you." - Maritsa Darmandzhyan

Brought to you by socionix.com

TIM
    No. E9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I've been known to dance to pedestrian crossing bleeps, so the music isn't a problem. Love being right in the swell of all that churned up energy but can take people out with wildly flailing arms. Yeah, I'm that guy. Sorry.

*Have also been water-boarded and derived enjoyment from that.

TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by squirreltual View Post
    I've been known to dance to pedestrian crossing bleeps, so the music isn't a problem. Love being right in the swell of all that churned up energy but can take people out with wildly flailing arms. Yeah, I'm that guy. Sorry.

*Have also been water-boarded and derived enjoyment from that.
    I actually don't mind you guys who actually enjoy the dancing and energy. The problem is, you people comprise maybe 10% of the people inside most clubs I've been to. The rest are just self-obsessed people there to to be seen and gawked at, doing something that kind of looks like dancing but isn't really, and taking pics of themselves on their phones every five seconds. It makes me stabby.
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's also jazz clubs.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Park View Post
    There's also jazz clubs.
    I like those. There's one in D.C. that's pretty nice, but no one I know ever will go with me because they think it's boring if you can't be humping random strangers.

TIM
    No. E9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Animal View Post
    I actually don't mind you guys who actually enjoy the dancing and energy. The problem is, you people comprise maybe 10% of the people inside most clubs I've been to. The rest are just self-obsessed people there to to be seen and gawked at, doing something that kind of looks like dancing but isn't really, and taking pics of themselves on their phones every five seconds. It makes me stabby.
    Yeah. I don't really drink/do drugs as it gets in the way of being able to dance. I used to do kundalini raising exercises before going out though - have you ever tried that (imagine you may have)? Created some really intense experiences. The narcs are everywhere. Photo-bomb them.

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

No, they're boring. The only time I go to them is in Halloween because you have the novelty of costumes and friends' birthdays.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Go by yourself. You'll meet new people there.

Creepy-bg

never been in one, seems like something i wouldn't enjoy.

TIM
    LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's the norm at college to enjoy going out to nightclubs. If I go with a group of friends it's alright (and only alright), I just get insanely drunk beforehand. #SettingGoodExamples. It also means I ignore the other people in the club because talking is too hard. But it's pretty tiring to stay out for the entire night; I go because it's the social thing to do (classic college).

There are clubs I don't enjoy going to because they have too many people or the music isn't good to dance to, but then I usually just leave halfway through. I haven't noticed too much narcissism going on out there, so I neither agree nor disagree with you on that count.
    Warm Regards,

Clowns & Entropy

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

mindless fun. i like drinking and dancing. but i don't go to the kinds of places with long lines and dressing up and all that business.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The last time I was in one my friend's jacket went missing due to security. I mean he phoned me inquiring whether I can get in there to help him. In the end he got his jacket back and of course it involved the owner of the nightclub.

No axes and knives involved though.

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No one actually enjoys clubs. Let's be honest here. The things some people like about clubs can be better had elsewhere. People go to clubs because they want to get laid and then force feed themselves drinks and drugs to not flip the fuck out insane due to devastating volume and claustrophobia and excess body heat/firework induced flamestorms that kill everybody.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I went out to clubs quite a bit 18-24, but those were down-to-earth places with people of all ages, no dress code, and no grinding. Granted this was in Germany (a very different and much more fun party culture altogether) and the 90s, so they might have changed. I went with friends to dance and hang out (well, and drink). This was also pre-cell phones, so people actually talked to each other. I never went to a club where people at the door decide who gets in based on appearance.

Now I feel old.

Edit: My response to the poll would be "not anymore."
    “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.”
    ― Anais Nin

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Girls from work go to clubs so when I want to be social I go with them. Usually drunk, super sweaty, and someone always gets sad drunk and cries. Haven't been since April. I'd rather go to a friend's bar and drink and shoot the shit and dance when we're the last ones there/ I'm helping clean up.

Another downer about clubs: I don't like guidos grinding on me.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just pay for hookers.

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I've enjoyed clubbing exactly one time in my life, and that was when I was at some hip-hop DJ event where they were playing beats all night.

Clubbing is otherwise a disgusting amalgamation of testosterone, pecking orders, complete image consciousness, body sweat, super expensive drinks and desperation. Horrible atmosphere and terrible people vastly exaggerating how much fun they're having so that they fit in. Not my idea of a good time.

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't really enjoy clubs. I don't dance and you can't exactly talk in them to well for the most part. I had some fun once when I went for a friends birthday party and we had our own VIP section so I could be barred away from everyone else. Haven't been too many times really though since I don't even enjoy what they are supposed to be about.
    “No psychologist should pretend to understand what he does not understand... Only fools and charlatans know everything and understand nothing.” -Anton Chekhov

http://kevan.org/johari?name=Bardia0
    http://kevan.org/nohari?name=Bardia0

Creepy-male

Reason I don't do nightclubs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0zL4rlS6RU

^^ If I did that I'd want to kick my own ass.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to hate them to the max, but then I found a few underground places where the music and decoration are actually interesting and enjoyable, no fashionable people, no queues, no entrance fees, the alcohol is cheap and you are likely to find drugs and like-minded company (hippies, artists, rockers, grunge people..) . I still prefer bars over clubs, but every once in a while when I'm in the mood for some dancing going to one of those places can be nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1981slater View Post
    Axis of Evil: Iran, Iraq, North Korea and Agarina
    Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa Darmandzhyan
    Agarina does not like human beings; she just wants a pretty boy toy.
    Johari Nohari

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I live in the country most of the time so when I go out to the club its kind of a treat. Its fun to cut loose sometimes. I can see it getting old if one made it a lifestyle wherein they are out at the club spending fortunes on drinks every night, then it could add up to a costly hobby. When I go it's often to meet new people and usually find a couple or two to hangout with and make friends and put blinders on all the rest. I could understand if you had low self-esteem, or if you gauged your self worth by how others viewed your image then a club might be cause for anxiety, because no one is perfect looking.

Maybe I haven't been as exposed enough to some of the negative aspects of "clubbing", but I do know how I feel around the sort of vain, shallow people you other members are describing, so I can imagine it must be very terrible to be surrounded by these types of individuals in a dark crowded space: "Where is the nearest exit?". Maybe that's why so many people smoke in the section outside, just to get a "breather" and some fresh air away from the crowds (then again some smoking areas are just as crowded). It just hasn't been my experience that clubs are so bad, and the times where I felt that they where I can remember feeling like it was somehow just me who was feeling uncomfortable, or tired (because clubbing hours are so late) and I wasn't blaming those around me for how I was feeling.

And I think the part where everybody is standing around all sweaty is kind of normal? I mean when it gets hot people sweat, plus you sweat when nervous and when you are attracted to someone. So whats the big deal? It's 35 degrees Celsius out right now and I am sweating as I type this. "the roof is on fire, we don't need no water let that mothafu.........." yeah.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Been to a club only once. One of the worst night-time experience i've ever had next to losing my virginity.

TIM
    SEI 9w1 so/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last time I went clubbing I had a dramatic dance off in the middle of the floor with a friend who was dressed completely in TOS Starfleet Uniform. We were dancing to The Smiths, doing our best Morrissey impressions and were very inebriated. If I were in a mainstream club with judgemental people who actually care about what they look like and what people think of them I would hate it. Like most things in life, clubbing is what you make of it.
    Look at that subtle off-white coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God. It even has a watermark.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by whittgenstein View Post
    doing our best Morrissey impressions and were very inebriated. If I were in a mainstream club with judgemental people who actually care about what they look like and what people think of them I would hate it. Like most things in life, clubbing is what you make of it.
    Drop me a line when you and your friend want to do it again. I'm going to appear and do what I do best.

Banned
    TIM
    SLE/LSE sx/sp
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Animal View Post
    I hate them. I really fucking HATEHATEHATEHATEHATE them. I hate the deafening crappy music that you can't even dance to. I hate the seizure-inducing or non-existent lighting. I hate the overpriced booze. I hate the vacuous, obnoxious narcissism surrounding me from every direction... closing in on me, everywhere, like a death trap, can't breathe... sweat and booze breath and cologne and perfume and drugs. I hate the obnoxious drunks. I hate having to get gussied up and wear expensive clothes so that I can get inside the damn place, only to be drenched in sweat and the residue from other people being all up in my business. I hate fearing that I may get mugged on the way home.

I've been to a handful of nice, low-key ones or ones that are essentially nightly raves, and I liked the hippie, psychedelic feel of them... but the majority are just not enjoyable places to me.
    Some nightclubs have air conditioning.

Banned
    TIM
    SLE/LSE sx/sp
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Deestructor View Post
    Been to a club only once. One of the worst night-time experience i've ever had next to losing my virginity.
    Both at night????

I do wonder if nightclubs would be anyone different by day.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Lul, lieks.

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its a bit like this forum, most of the time full of pretentious fuckwits and only occasionally enjoyable. Its interesting how we spend our surplus time and resources.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Yes, we. I don't see any people dancing though, Jim. I think you meant tiny chat - I hope you frequent.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I frequent clubs in order to eye-fuck strangers where it's socially acceptable.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Within View Post
    I frequent clubs in order to eye-fuck strangers where it's socially acceptable.
    And storm into their homes wearing nothing but a ski-mask after they were kind enough to tell where they live.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Absurd View Post
    And storm into their homes wearing nothing but a ski-mask after they were kind enough to tell where they live.
    As imaginationless as that invitation was, I will accept. Where do you live?

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Within View Post
    As imaginationless as that invitation was, I will accept. Where do you live?
    Imaginationless? I hope you're kidding me and meant prosaic.

Anyway, I'm going to post where when you do the same, so I can chop your head off.

Nah, of course, I'm not going to do that.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Absurd View Post
    Imaginationless? I hope you mean prosaic. Anyway, I'm going to post where when you do the same, so I can chop your head off.
    Aaand... I'm spent.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

So much for "social niceties" as once chriscorey tried to talk me into. Oh well, Within Temptation, you're going to get spent in way more ways that you can imagine.

TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by squirreltual View Post
    Yeah. I don't really drink/do drugs as it gets in the way of being able to dance. I used to do kundalini raising exercises before going out though - have you ever tried that (imagine you may have)? Created some really intense experiences. The narcs are everywhere. Photo-bomb them.
    I haven't tried that. Sounds like a pretty cool alternative to getting shitfaced, though. What does it entail?

Quote Originally Posted by Fireyed View Post
    I forgot to mention that I do love classy lounges, for the most part. There's a place in Virginia Beach called Sky Bar that's magical...
    Yeah, I like places like that to release my inner, urbane James Bond.

Quote Originally Posted by dolphin View Post
    Another time I went to a club with my nice foreign roommate he thought he had to grind on me like all the rest of the dudes who think its the only way to dance. I don't think he enjoyed himself and when I looked over at him I kept wondering how American popular culture must look to someone who isn't familiar with it. From the outside it must look pretty stupid.
    Don't worry. It's not just us. Horrible club culture exists all over the world!

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm glad i'm not the only one that hates them. I actually was starting to think something was wrong with me for not liking them. I've only been to a few and it raises my anxiety to epic proportions. I don't dance so I'd only ever go to tag along with someone and keep them company but they'd always complain I didn't look like i was having a good time and would ask why I wasn't dancing so the entire time it was this uncomfortable act of trying to look social and like i was enjoying myself. I'd get so bored and anxious I'd make like 30 trips to the bathroom and the bar just to escape it and i'd get so drunk I could barely walk out. FUN.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast