Thread: Humor and INTjs (and other Alpha Quadras)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Humor and INTjs (and other Alpha Quadras)

INTjs are described as being somewhat dull, solemn, and serious. Othertimes it seems as if we are described as being humorless robots. But my question is how do INTjs typically exhibit humor and to what extent? And does this differ or compare to other alpha quadras? I know that generally INTjs like to pretend that they do not have a sense of humor and that slabs of granite are more likely to laugh before they do, but I don't think that is necessarily the case.

The reason why I ask is because I read the description of the INFp on Socion.info and their approach to humor is very similar to mine despite being a strongly identified INTj.
    INFps are distinguished by their sense of humor. Their humor is spontaneous, cutely ironic, and oftentimes rather random. They may put on a faзade of being under the influence of any number of substances, and as a result may appear childish, out-of-touch, and spacey. This is actually a defense mechanism to distance themselves from a contrived existence. When acting like this, they are most likely thinking: “You people take yourselves way too seriously.”
    This section is where a portion of the similarity exists. One of the differences is that I am less "cutely ironic" and more "bitingly ironic." And it only seems like being rather random because it is in stark contrast with my usual behavior. My humor also developed as a defensive mechanism, but not to distance myself from a "contrived existence," but due to my idiosycrancies. But the last bit about "You people take yourselves way too seriously" is in fact one of my primary motives. I have been told that my humor "makes people feel uncomfortable but in a good way." But by doing so, I do not hope to get people to be more relaxed or easy-going, but to get them to open up and make it easier for me to learn about people and to "expand their horizons" in regards to societal behavior. In other words, there is generally method to the madness.

They may seem estranged from reality, but they in fact dwell on a far more significant plane in their own minds. Internally they understand full well the gritty undertones of life, but see the world within the context of an overarching, transcendent framework that liberates him from the trappings of the workaday world. They have their eyes on “bigger issues” at hand.
    The main difference, however, is that I spend my time in a world of logistical theorization and not a world of the INFp.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think that the INFp sense of humor sounds like me (though now that I think about it, when I'm with my INFp sister, we spend most of the time laughing and generally find the same things funny).
    I think my sense of humor is more on the sarcastic side if anything else. Bitingly ironic sounds about right too.

Quote Originally Posted by Logos
    I know that generally INTjs like to pretend that they do not have a sense of humor and that slabs of granite are more likely to laugh before they do, but I don't think that is necessarily the case.
    I don't agree with this. I enjoy humor and laughing. The biggest turn on for me is if the other person is funny. I'm just picky about what I find funny.
    All Hail The Flying Spaghetti Monster

Creepy-

It depends on how well the INTj knows you and how comfortable they are with you a lot. But everybody has their quirks.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe this must be some sort of sick and twisted intj humor. Hugo a laugh is never worth ruining someone's standing among others!!! I hope you learn this one day.

I live in the USA, but my heart longs for England.
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by oyburger
    I don't agree with this. I enjoy humor and laughing. The biggest turn on for me is if the other person is funny. I'm just picky about what I find funny.
    Yeah, besides this I love sarcasm. I don't know why, it just slips away from me and spills all over everyone else's enthusiasm and cheerfulness over something completely stupid.
    Roboticist: Someone who conceptualizes, designs, builds, programs and experiments with robots.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find it hard not to identify Family Guy as primarily Alpha humor
    It uses a lot of societal references (names of people, places, events) in it's jokes. An example that I remember off the top of my head is "that's like getting a text message for your birthday from Zinedine Zidane", or something. It's only funny when you know the exact event and person involved in it and how it relates to the situation in the story.

Guess it's just me, but that's what I tend to identify as Ni/Se stuff. Whatever, though.

Sauron, The Great Enemy ArchonAlarion's Avatar
    TIM
    Yet to be determined
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@aixel: I think your perception of Alpha humor is distorted.
    The end is nigh

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For Real alpha humor, watch the Princess Bride.

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

god i love the princess bride.
    D-SEI 9w1

This is me and my dual being scientific together

Sauron, The Great Enemy ArchonAlarion's Avatar
    TIM
    Yet to be determined
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, the only words I put in your mouth were ones that I didn't actually say, and you inferred.
    The end is nigh

TIM
    INTp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aixelsyd View Post
    Uh...

...Khamelion?

But I really cannot think of a single SEE like that, though I cannot discount some Alphas making a really bad charicature of a SEE called Peter Griffin, either. (I say Alphas because I find it hard not to identify Family Guy as primarily Alpha humor.).
    it is so typical around here to have zero understanding of anything outside one's own quadra; hmm, I hate so-and-so, they must be my conflictor, and though there is no specific reason to believe that so-and-so is that type, I don't pay attention to my real conflictors anyway so I would not know what they are like to begin with...

BTW, having objectively typed ****** from the 1972 documentary 'Swastika', I came up with this:

****** - Fe-INFp
    Braun - Se-ISTj
    Hess - Ti-ESTp
    Himmler - Ni-ENFj
    Goebbels - Te-INTp
    Einstein - Ne-ENTp

TIM
    ??
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Huitzilopochtli View Post
    it is so typical around here to have zero understanding of anything outside one's own quadra; hmm, I hate so-and-so, they must be my conflictor, and though there is no specific reason to believe that so-and-so is that type, I don't pay attention to my real conflictors anyway so I would not know what they are like to begin with...

BTW, having objectively typed ****** from the 1972 documentary 'Swastika', I came up with this:

****** - Fe-INFp
    Braun - Se-ISTj
    Hess - Ti-ESTp
    Himmler - Ni-ENFj
    Goebbels - Te-INTp
    Einstein - Ne-ENTp
    didnt think you could get any stupider but there it is
    <Crispy> what subt doesnt understand is that a healthy reaction to "FUCK YOU" is and not

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by labcoat View Post
    For Real alpha humor, watch the Princess Bride.
    holy shit, I was just thinking today that I need to introduce my girlfriend to the Princess Bride, was weighing up whether I should borrow it off a friend and watch it tonight. My mind is now made up.

Inconceivable.
    IEE-Ne

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kamajama View Post
    god i love the princess bride.
    me too,

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Princess Bride is the only thing that can get me to forgive Mandy Patinkin for having such an insufferably annoying singing voice.
    Not a rule, just a trend.

IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.