Thread: Hugging style

TIM
    Se/Ni sx/sp
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jessica129 View Post
    I really don't enjoy hugs of any sort. Not even those from significant others. Creepy.
    I let other people hug me, but otherwise no. I don't like touching.
    maybe a saint is just a dead prick with a good publicist
    maybe tommorow's statues are insecure without their foes
    go ask the frog what the scorpion knows

Creepy-

Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post
    This is how I am as well... you'll probably not ever see me with my arms outstretched, moving in for a hug [ha!] but if someone wants to hug me, I don't turn them down. Well, assuming they are someone I know/am not weary of touching in the first place.

Sometimes my mind goes blank when I hug someone I don't know well, and I find myself later wondering if I seemed awkward or whatever because my mind was fuzzy. But if it's someone I really care about, a hug can mean a lot.

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

but is it a dead fish hug? lol. Just kidding.. i know my SLI friend loves me, and her hugs, while she will initiate it (how cute) are sort of very weak pressure wise. I'm sure a romantic embrace is different. When I started the thread i was interested in the quality of the hug.

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I'm more a hug receiver than a hug giver, and then only with close friends/family. The worst is when someone that doesn't know me well tries to give me a hug while I'm offering a handshake then I pull it back and give them what I like to call a WTFhug, which is never satisfying.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

Creepy-

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Kensington View Post
    but is it a dead fish hug? lol. Just kidding.. i know my SLI friend loves me, and her hugs, while she will initiate it (how cute) are sort of very weak pressure wise. I'm sure a romantic embrace is different. When I started the thread i was interested in the quality of the hug.
    No, dead fish hugs are creepy. I used to give them until once when I was 13 or so, someone pointed it out - it was a humiliating moment that caused me to improve my hugs forever [although I still cringe inwardly just thinking of it. PoLR hit?!]

I would like to think I give good hugs, but that's for others to judge... I hope I do

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah i was totally kidding.. and yeah could have been a nasty polr hit. Fi carress, or Fi holding is experienced through my senses, maybe not the same way the other person experiences it. Sort of like sniffing zest from a fruit rind, or a subtle floral smell.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Kensington View Post
    lol, this is so me. Dead fish hugger, that is. I can't get over the awkwardness of it. I usually attempt to escape with a pat on the back. Is it odd I've never hugged my parents? Maybe that's where this aversion comes from..

***el X Mercenary
    TIM
    Te-ISTp
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it odd I've never hugged my parents?
    Cool.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it odd I've never hugged my parents? Maybe that's where this aversion comes from..
    Seriously??
    EII; E6(w5)

i am flakey

***el X Mercenary
    TIM
    Te-ISTp
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm jealous.

TIM
    ISXj
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Likewise, for the most part. Usually I'll just pat their back to signal that I want the hug to be over, haha. Hugs are so awkward.
    The only people I initiate hugs with/enjoy hugging are my parents and my boyfriend.
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves.
    John Muir

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Seriously??
    Yeah...well, I think my dad once when I was younger. My mom? Never. They aren't bad parents but I think they share my feelings on hugging.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah...well, I think my dad once when I was younger. My mom? Never. They aren't bad parents but I think they share my feelings on hugging.
    that is so so foreign to me.
    italian parents are like very in your face all the time. there is no such thing as privacy.
    EII; E6(w5)

i am flakey

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by munenori2 View Post
    Yeah, I'm more a hug receiver than a hug giver, and then only with close friends/family. The worst is when someone that doesn't know me well tries to give me a hug while I'm offering a handshake then I pull it back and give them what I like to call a WTFhug, which is never satisfying.
    lol!

Quote Originally Posted by calenwen View Post
    Likewise, for the most part. Usually I'll just pat their back to signal that I want the hug to be over, haha. Hugs are so awkward.
    The only people I initiate hugs with/enjoy hugging are my parents and my boyfriend.
    yeah same here.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hugs are great when it makes sense...like you're dating the person or in love w/ them or something (or would like to be). In that event, i will randomly hug them whenever.

I don't really like to hug anyone else. I only do it to not be rude, and I usually go for the shoulders.

I like that most of my friends also do the fake hug. lots of people do the kiss on the cheek thing w/ the half-hug, and I mind that less w/ guys if they just do it. But most of the time w/ girls I often forget to add that in until it's too late.

I also dislike handshakes, except in job interviews or business (that's easy enough). But the casual greeting gets so confusing...some people want to shake your hand, others do that hip little hand bump thing, or the guy style hand greeting thingy (which as a girl, I never know if that's appropriate, but playing sports sometimes they all do that, even to me)....I hate being rude, but if it isn't formal business, and I don't want to hug them, I'm left w/ too many handshake/half hug/cheek kiss options.
    Hi! I'm an ENFP. :-)

TIM
    it's so pretty type
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I absolutely love hugs! I don't get enough of them. I am a warm, cuddly hugger to anyone that wants a hug or that I hug. Fake hugs are pointless to me. And if you try to fake hug me, you are in for a surprise! You are going to get a real hug from me.

ENFp

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i dont generally hug people as a greeting, unless i havn't seen them in a LOOOONG time. and even then, i let them start the hug. i dont see the point in hugging them sometimes, but i dont mind doing it anyway.

i like hugs from significant others though....just really really long ones called cuddles are better. hugs are generally too short and that annoys me. by definition i guess they are short.

i prefer to hold on for a while....

hugging pets and babies, thats a different story. if its cute you pretty much want to hug it.
    SEE Unknown Subtype
    6w7 sx/so

[21:29] hitta: idealism is just the gap between the thought of death
    [21:29] hitta: and not dying

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love hugs. But I'm only comfortable giving them to my immediate family and friends I've known for a while. Otherwise I don't know whether they're the huggy type or not and then it just gets awkward. My favorite group of friends does a whole round of hugs almost every time we part, which I rather like. It feels like I have my family back. I will only spontaneously hug family members or my significant other, though.
    IEE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SO: cuddlin's nice - not necessary, but comfy.
    Family: Mom raised us to expect it. I hug - and kiss - my parents hello and goodbye. I doubt my Dad would do it if Mom didn't insist, but we know our parts to play, and fulfill our duties. Siblings I will hug if parents are around; with younger siblings (ENTp sis and ISFp bro) we often don't, but older sis (dunno type but probably same type as my Mom) always initiates.
    Friends: usually don't hug unless it's been a long time or we know it'll be a long time.

I usually don't initiate hugs-handshakes-etc. And it gets a little awkward when I visit the enormous Roman Catholic branch of the family down in New Orleans who all hug and kiss each other (even my uncles!) hello and goodbye. It's so formalized even though they actually are a very close-knit clan - very odd to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Bukowski
    We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing.
    SLI

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by niffweed17 View Post
    for me, not tolerated in any manner or form, regardless of recipient.
    hm.

put when you push them off you is it in a dead fish way or a forceful way?

jk.

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ;94753
    I really do not like physical contact unless it is with someone I've known for years and have a positive relationship with. I am sensative to touch in an odd way though I mostly do not react.

My ESFp friend, who I've known for a few years, complained to me about not hugging her goodbye as I offered my gloved hand for a handshake.

The psychological distance of formality indicates handshakes, and that is what I prefer. Fist pounds is okay if I'm with guys at sporting events or similar. But hanshakes usually.

With someone I am really close to, as in a close relationship, then I really like deep long hugs. But no one else. The idea of being physically possessive of the other person is somewhat intriguing at times. If it is someone I'm very close to, then I would never turn down a hug intentionally. But if it is not her, or not someone in my immediate family, then you've got no chance. If I am single, though, and you are someone that I deem huggable, then I won't refuse one necessarily.

lol this has since been logged as guest but sounds like UDP.

edit: oh and now i see someone quoted it and it says it's him.

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

in case anyone is wondering, since all i said about my own hugging style is that it's similar to my ISTj friend:

My hug does depend on what the other person is like. If they look like they want it or wouldnt mind, then i will initiate it, usually at a goodbye. I will do it when I think it might be considered rude, whatever will make the other person more comfortable. for example, an INFp who used to work with me. We were at a christmas party and she seemed almost relieved when I initiated the hug after that strange dance when you are watching the other person's movement at the goodbye. On the other hand, if there is any tension at all, from a multitude of sources, I will offer a handshake or a smile.

I have been told by multiple people that i give good hug. But i can tell if someone else initiates a hug, if they are a little weird and then i will break it off. Like when a guy is dancing with you and is a little too close kind of deal. If you look like you want something else from me I don't hug, or if i don't like you as much I will let you hug me without doing anything. So i guess I am a responsive hugger.

My ISTj friend has a very firm, almost crushing hug. Also not prolonged. but warm and enveloping. Mine is more languid and not as crushing but similar in that its a whole body sort of thing. If i actually like you.
    Last edited by Ms. Kensington; 11-26-2008 at 04:46 PM.

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hugs, I love them.

You just can't beat hugging your friends.
    D-SEI 9w1

This is me and my dual being scientific together

Quote Originally Posted by Director Abbie View Post
    Lately I've wanted to hug my INTp friend, but I stick to the handshake so I don't accidently give him or .
    Is this the same INTp you talked about somewhere else? The guy who you maybe wanted to be more than a friend? Also I remember you saying something that he wants to be kicked (wtf ), rather than touched. Are these your own interpretations originating from socionics, or has he told you so (that he wants to be kicked etc.)?

Despite everything, my suggestion is just do it, if you want to hug him, and see what happens.

Just find a moment where you are private to test this, and don't do it in public, especially not in front of his family or friends. He won't hate you for it, worst that can happen is that he will cringe or try to dodge it. Just don't take personally it, if this happens.

INTps are just full of bullshit about this. Don't trust everything they say, when they are trying to protect their insecurities.
    ...the human race will disappear. Other races will appear and disappear in turn. The sky will become icy and void, pierced by the feeble light of half-dead stars. Which will also disappear. Everything will disappear. And what human beings do is just as free of sense as the free motion of elementary particles. Good, evil, morality, feelings? Pure 'Victorian fictions'.

INTp

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Warlord View Post
    Is this the same INTp you talked about somewhere else? The guy who you maybe wanted to be more than a friend? Also I remember you saying something that he wants to be kicked (wtf ), rather than touched. Are these your own interpretations originating from socionics, or has he told you so (that he wants to be kicked etc.)?

Despite everything, my suggestion is just do it, if you want to hug him, and see what happens.

Just find a moment where you are private to test this, and don't do it in public, especially not in front of his family or friends. He won't hate you for it, worst that can happen is that he will cringe or try to dodge it. Just don't take personally it, if this happens.

INTps are just full of bullshit about this. Don't trust everything they say, when they are trying to protect their insecurities.
    Yeah, he asked to be kicked. So I did, then an ISFp made me stop.
    I hugged him backstage. No reaction.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy View Post
    I generally keep hugs as distant and quick as I can...
    +1, mine are soft and quick.

I got hugged by an INFp yesterday, i saw her running at me from about 5 meters away and i assumed a stance just to brace for the impact. She was airborne like one of those creatures from 30 days of night.
    ENFp (Unsure of Subtype)

"And the day came when the risk it took to remain closed in a bud became more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anaïs Nin

Quote Originally Posted by Director Abbie View Post
    Yeah, he asked to be kicked. So I did, then an ISFp made me stop.
    Heh sounds kinda weird. But then again I used to randomly kick my sister in the butt when I was teenager And I don't hug her.

I hugged him backstage. No reaction.
    I guess he didn't hate it then. He might secretly like it.
    ...the human race will disappear. Other races will appear and disappear in turn. The sky will become icy and void, pierced by the feeble light of half-dead stars. Which will also disappear. Everything will disappear. And what human beings do is just as free of sense as the free motion of elementary particles. Good, evil, morality, feelings? Pure 'Victorian fictions'.

INTp

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by meatburger View Post
    +1, mine are soft and quick.

I got hugged by an INFp yesterday, i saw her running at me from about 5 meters away and i assumed a stance just to brace for the impact. She was airborne like one of those creatures from 30 days of night.
    Awww! Seems like an INFp would have to like someone a lot to run and jump on someone! Cute! The INFp I knew I can't picture running down the street...maybe I mis-typed...hmm.
    Hi! I'm an ENFP. :-)

TIM
    Mumpsimus
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tiny_dancer View Post
    I love hugs. But I'm only comfortable giving them to my immediate family and friends I've known for a while. Otherwise I don't know whether they're the huggy type or not and then it just gets awkward. I will only spontaneously hug family members or my significant other, though.
    +1.

Although my family is very touchy-feely, so they see me as cold in comparison.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12