Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Contemporary Jazz Appreciation Thread

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My favorite drummer as of late, in a mainstream setting with legendary Hank Jones.

(and unlike hyperbolical Kim over here, I tend to use words like "favorite" for their intended meaning)

“Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Creepy-male

Hey I recently picked up a keyboard! A yahama p70, its a little old, but relatively good condition for a starting keyboard. I've been practicing comping on different tunes, its helped me really hear the progressions and understanding 7/3 leading and stuff, as well as modern progressions and theory. I've been working out of the real book; I've focused on body and soul and up jumped spring. I'm a big fan of hubbard as we've already mentioned. I've also worked on "here's that rainy day".

Thanks for the referral in your previous post. I need to post something of me playing, but right now I'm kind of sucking, I got my range so high that my low end started to get thin and plasticy and superficial sounding, so I've had to rework my embouchure to build out more tone quality in the lower register. I also changed my embouchure a few months ago to the "no pressure" technique, and now instead of jamming the mouthpiece into my face I have to push out and grip the mouthpiece with my lips. It requires a lot of support from the core. I'm still playing in the salsa band but its been hard to practice, I had a neighbor slash my tires for practicing lead trumpet in the apartment. It was within the legal times but I guess he didn't like hearing me lip up 8va and then do a maj3 trill. I moved apartments though, so I'm no longer in a hostile situation =p.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Man From Nantucket View Post
    Hey I recently picked up a keyboard! A yahama p70, its a little old, but relatively good condition for a starting keyboard. I've been practicing comping on different tunes, its helped me really hear the progressions and understanding 7/3 leading and stuff, as well as modern progressions and theory. I've been working out of the real book; I've focused on body and soul and up jumped spring. I'm a big fan of hubbard as we've already mentioned. I've also worked on "here's that rainy day".

Thanks for the referral in your previous post. I need to post something of me playing, but right now I'm kind of sucking, I got my range so high that my low end started to get thin and plasticy and superficial sounding, so I've had to rework my embouchure to build out more tone quality in the lower register. I also changed my embouchure a few months ago to the "no pressure" technique, and now instead of jamming the mouthpiece into my face I have to push out and grip the mouthpiece with my lips. It requires a lot of support from the core. I'm still playing in the salsa band but its been hard to practice, I had a neighbor slash my tires for practicing lead trumpet in the apartment. It was within the legal times but I guess he didn't like hearing me lip up 8va and then do a maj3 trill. I moved apartments though, so I'm no longer in a hostile situation =p.

Cool. Have fun with the P70. I played it at my high school graduation; here's a pic. It's an okay keyboard. Better than most of it's competitors (at the time).

Interestingly enough, I prefer the sound and touch of older yamahas to the new ones.

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by Park View Post
    Cool. Have fun with the P70. I played it at my high school graduation; here's a pic. It's an okay keyboard. Better than most of it's competitors (at the time).

Interestingly enough, I prefer the sound and touch of older yamahas to the new ones.
    Yea since keyboard isn't my main instrument I figured I'd go for a used one, so the older ones were on the market. I've been very pleased with the touch and sound. It's very nice to be able to play harmonically for a change. Nice picture as well.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Man From Nantucket View Post
    Yea since keyboard isn't my main instrument I figured I'd go for a used one, so the older ones were on the market. I've been very pleased with the touch and sound. It's very nice to be able to play harmonically for a change. Nice picture as well.
    Maybe you could have gotten the P90 or P120 for a few more bucks. Anyways, I'm thinking of salting away some bread for this baby.

Last edited by Park; 12-14-2013 at 11:56 AM.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This Brazilian singer/band keeps surprising me.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really nice album. Exquisite vocalist.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Landlord of the Dog and Duck Subteigh's Avatar
    TIM
    RLOAI, maybe
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Creepy-male

This probably isn't contemporary enough but man do I love Pharoah:

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh my, what a sexy groove.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last edited by Park; 03-21-2015 at 12:27 AM.

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by Person View Post
    The definition of jazz is basically "evolved music"

I mean, you can hear jazz in any genre of music, if that composer has studied jazz before, because it accounts for appx 1/2 of all the musical knowledge I can think of.

I guess there's a certain stereotype associated to jazz, but like all stereotypes it's very shallow.

I'm a personal fan of orchestral instrument jazz, like jazz violin, piano, and flute.
    You know there could be an entire topic dedicated to what jazz is. I remember miles talking about jazz and dizzy about bebop. They said it wasn't really called that at the time, it was just the social music of that time, but later analysts decided to affix these labels to the music.

Generally when I think of jazz I think of a string of evolution of certain social venaculars in music (standards), as well as improvisation and freedom of expression, and finally the introduction of changes.

But even these superficial labels of genres don't capture the essence of musical expression but are labels applied after the fact to organize like things with like things.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heard this a moment ago on KCSM.

Sweet.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Never cared much for Casandra Wilson's stuff, but this is pretty cool.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smooth and silky, old school 90's.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eccentric Neurotic Narcissist andreasdevig's Avatar
    TIM
    FiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great thread, Park, my brother. I feel there's one thing missing, though...

Hmm.. what is it?

Oh yeah, some Kenny G.

TIM
    FiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by andreasdevig View Post

Oh yeah, some Kenny G.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIM
    FiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ That's very pretty, Park. I'm not extremely familiar with the New York Voices. The lead singer's voice has a pleasant sound to it. I'll have to check out the rest of the album now, too.

It reminds me of Dori Caymmi, one of my favorite composers.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jazzmeia

TIM
    FiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

EII-INFj / INFP / Strong E4 and 9 energy / Melancholic-Phlegmatic / Musical-Intrapersonal-Spatial / Kinky-Sensual

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast