Thread: Yeah my type!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Yeah... my type!

So, I'm having a hard time figuring out my type. I get pretty inconsistent results with tests, and although I've read quite few profiles with sections that fit me, I've never really read a profile and said "aha! Now _that_ sounds like me!"

Judging by the tests I've taken and what I've read, I think I'm probably an ENTj, ENTp, INTp, or ESTp (those are what I test as most often), but don't take my word for it, since I'm relatively new to Socionics. The one thing I'm pretty sure about is the T.

Here are some excerpts from profiles that I can definitely relate. Since the excerpts are pretty short, I'll put all the excerpts in the same Quote section as excerpts from other profiles of the same type...

Quote Originally Posted by INTp profiles
    - "INTps are good at noticing contradictions in theories or opinions and can focus others attention to this."

- "It is not uncommon for him to alphabetize and categorize his movie and book collections."

- "He is convinced that living is impossible if one disregards the natural laws that regulate the world. One who ignores reality is heading for disaster. The Criticist believes that it is better to be somewhat too cynical then be a hypocrite."
    Quote Originally Posted by ENTp profiles
    - "The main peculiarity of ENTps behaviour is an incredible absent-mindedness. They usually leave items where they used them and have a tendency to constantly lose smaller objects. ENTps work place and personal belongings are often kept in disarray. They invariably forget what they have already done and what they need to do."

- "ENTps do not readily follow social norms. They do not like to have their independence threatened by unnecessary rules, and they can appear expedient and out-of-place in a society that values any various forms of unnecessary subjugation. While ENTps may have a healthy respect for rules when they are necessary as a guideline or are necessary and good for the well being of people, they do not readily tolerate intentional subjugation to any type of rule or method that they consider to be out-dated or harmful to the well-being of individuals. ENTps tend to look down on people who do so, considering them to be childish and lacking of confidence."

- "Even though they are extroverts, ENTps may demonstrate a subtle tendency towards reservation. Those who have had problems establishing friendships may manifest a quiet nature and a lack of general outgoingness, one day appearing social and friendly only to be indifferent or avoidant the next. Over a period of time specific social patterns may develop, appearing unfriendly and reserved to some and friendly and open to others. With their sporadic nature, they may unwittingly convince others of a general dislike and social discontentment, even though it is not their intention. Because of this, ENTps feel a need to receive positive emotions more than any other type, and often use their intuitive logic to concoct clever social schemes to gain required social attention; ENTps crave great emotional attention from others."

- "ENTps are far from angels. Don't be fooled by their clumsiness, spaced-out behaviour and over-friendliness. Behind it all is a very cold rational mind, motivated by a starvation for attention. So, if an ENTp is friendly and nice to you: a) they want you to like them; b) they also need something else from you. ENTps care very much what others think and feel about them. In this case the "others" in question are everyone except close friends and family, because close friends and family form a special circle. If an ENTp would open the door to you in their underwear, you are probably already inside this special circle. However, you can find yourself outside this circle as quickly as you found yourself inside it."

- "If you let an ENTp openly know that you do not like them, you will probably earn yourself the title of enemy #1. And beware to have them as an enemy. ENTps are great masters of tricks and deceits, often more than ESTps, and what's more they do it in a very skilful manner. ENTps are masters of arrangement and sharp psychoanalysts, able to foresee exactly how others can react to a situation. They can turn the whole world against you, if you are not careful. ENTps also have the unique ability to make a deal with their conscience. They can successfully justify almost any wrong doing, thus ensuring that they will sleep well at night. "

(Note: I'm not as evil as the above two paragraphs might make you think. )
    Quote Originally Posted by ENTj profiles
    - "The ENTj thrives for objectivity. He wants to know the 'Right' answer to everything. For this reason, he is particularly fond of measures and tests because they enable him to objectify reality, helping him to make correct decisions and accurate predictions. The ENTj thinks like a scientist, only accepting things if they have been put to an objective test. If you need to make an objective decision about anything, ask an ENTj."

- "The ENTj works very fast. He loves to be able to efficiently execute tasks."

- "The ENTj can talk alot about subjects in which he is interested in, but remain very silent in any topic he finds slightly boring (which includes most topics in small talk). When he's into something, he can get very passionate and start gesticulating energetically. He may speak 'with his hands' alot. He loves to give advice to others in domains where he is competent. He is very good at explaining things to people. The ENTj breaks things down in easy to understand steps, and makes sure people succesfully comprehend each before moving to the next."

- "It has been wrongly assumed that the ENTj is necessarily a controlling and bossy individual. In reality, he doesn't really care about bossing people around for it's own sake. What he's interested in is getting things done in the most efficient way. The ENTj can appear very relaxed and cool around people who accomplish what needs to be done naturally. The ENTj may appear very commanding when he feels as though there is too much chaos."

- "The ENTj has playful side. Just hook up with him at a party. You'll quickly see that he loves to make jokes and play around. He'll be the first to make a fool of himself. The ENTj also likes to play the 'stand up comedian'. He can make himself look a lot more stupid than he really is, just to amuse people."

- "They are not the sort of people who blindly believe in phenomena that cannot be proved, for example UFOs, telekinesis and ESP. "
    Quote Originally Posted by ENFj profile
    ENFjs do not like to work if someone is there, observing them.

(Note: while I don't think I'm any sort of F, I thought "gee, that sure sounds like me!" when I read it. I thought it might be useful, so I figured I'd include it even though I doubt I'm an ENFj)
    Hmm... I think I've forgotten something, but if I find anything else I'll add it later.

Now a couple things that I'm not so sure about concerning the behaviour of certain types...

1) A lot of descriptions refer to ENTps as very inventive/creative people. Although I don't think I live up to either of those adjectives very well, I do tend to come up with (somewhat inconventional yet practical) solutions to problems in day-to-day matters that my friends don't see some times.

2) Many profiles describe ENTjs as being very decisive. Is that just a steriotype? Because I don't think I'm particularly decisive. Additionally, a lot of sources seem to portray ENTjs and ESTps as people that finish what they start and always complete their projects. Definitely not true for me. I have a tendency to start quite a few projects that I never finish and to do a lot of things at the last minute, as well as plan things that I never get around to.

Finally, a little miscellaneous information...

- I am a great advocate of the "logic test". I believe nothing that is illogical. For instance, I discarded religion pretty early on simply because it didn't pass the logic test. At the same time, I try to remain open-minded towards paranormal phenomena because I think it's illogical to assume that we know everything.

- I analyse people and like learning about/figuring out the logic behind them. For instance, I just read a book on neuroscience and enjoyed it thoroughly. Similarly, it's fun for me to try to figure out how people behave in certain situations and figure out their underlying behaviour patterns. That's probably one of the reasons I'm intrigued by socionics.

- I enjoy debating a lot. Sometimes I'll even play devil's advocate just for the hell of it. Needless to say, I'm always right.

- I like logic puzzles. For instance, I love Sudoku. On the other hand, I'm not purely a science/tech/logical systems guy... I play the violin too and enjoy it a lot.

Finally, I know this probably isn't relevant, but... I have a hard time figuring out how the questions on tests and descriptions of functions, types, etc relate to me. For example, I was never really sure whether I was more "abstract" or "concrete" (that's not to say I'm particularly unsure of whether I'm N or S, it's just an example). Maybe I'm just an idiot. Oh well.

If I think of anything else to add, I'll edit this. And if you need any more information, I'll gladly give it. Thanks in advance.

PS. Sorry for making such a long post.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're probably ENTp. How old are you?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just from what you've written, I don't think you are ESTp.
    All Hail The Flying Spaghetti Monster

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nearly everything that you have highlighted here seems to indicate ENTp. for example, an ENTj may fit the description of "can talk alot about subjects in which he is interested in, but remain very silent in any topic he finds slightly boring," but this sort of thing also applies to the ENTp. if one considers all of the descriptions you have selected from the perspective of an ENTp, they all seem to fit.

i am not, however, saying that you are definitively an ENTp; there's not enough evidence to make that definite distinction.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the quick responses!

How old are you?
    I'm in high school. Younger than most people here, I guess.

did you take this one?
    Yup. I even replied to that thread...

Which question above was the most difficult to answer?
    I keep trying to find the "this question" box to select.

Maybe it's because I'm a weird person, or maybe it's because I'm relatively new to Socionics, but I found myself undecided between the two available options on more than one occasion. I took it several times and got mainly ESTp, ENTp, and ENTj (I might've gotten other results once or twice, but if I did, I don't remember what they were).
    Another test I took recently was rmcnew's quadrant test with pictures. I got ENTj the first time and INTp the second. Before that I think I took the MBTI test at Humanmetrics (yeah, I know... MBTI != Socionics).I got INTJ the first time I took it and ENTJ the second.

there's not enough evidence to make that definite distinction.
    Hmm... what other kind of information would be helpful?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ch4r

the only person that can definitively deem yourself any particular type is yourself. however, the information that should be dissected at this point is that of functional descriptions. you need to read descriptions of , , , and to see if they apply to you.

in my opinion, the best functional descriptions available can be found on this forum. there are a lot of other functional descriptions that can be found elsewhere, but they seem (to me, anyway) to be incomplete and inconsistent. if you search the archives of this forum you'll find much more better descriptions.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seems like there's a wave of ENTx . We all have the same way of writing, use the same words, it's lol.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by niffweed17
    Quote Originally Posted by Ch4r

the only person that can definitively deem yourself any particular type is yourself. however, the information that should be dissected at this point is that of functional descriptions. you need to read descriptions of , , , and to see if they apply to you.

in my opinion, the best functional descriptions available can be found on this forum. there are a lot of other functional descriptions that can be found elsewhere, but they seem (to me, anyway) to be incomplete and inconsistent. if you search the archives of this forum you'll find much more better descriptions.
    Fair enough.

Thanks to all for the help.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You should read my two posts that relate to finding my type, our situations are pretty similar. While that doesn't mean that we are the same type, I'm sure you would benefit from the information in those threads.

I determined my type to be ENTj.

Good luck, I know how frustrating it is to be unsure of what type you are.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pezzonovante
    You should read my two posts that relate to finding my type, our situations are pretty similar. While that doesn't mean that we are the same type, I'm sure you would benefit from the information in those threads.

I determined my type to be ENTj.

Good luck, I know how frustrating it is to be unsure of what type you are.
    Yeah, I actually saw your thread before I posted this topic, and I can certainly relate to some of what you said (not all of it though, of course). How did you end up deciding on ENTj?