Thread: tattoos

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Default tattoos

do you have any?
    pictures? stories? advice?
    have employers actually cared much, in your experience?

i want to eventually get one on my forearm. i'm not sure what but maybe something like this http://media-cache0.pinterest.com/up...ZvYT9KkD_b.jpg or like this, except in color http://media-cache-ec3.pinterest.com...7zJx8Ucg_b.jpg
    Last edited by ashlesha; 01-28-2013 at 08:29 PM.

TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've made some scarrifications for myself and to a friend. He now has a huge tattoo scar in his chest that I made with a broken bottle. I have a small pentagram and "KARMA" inscribed on my skin. They are barely noticeable anymore.
    “I tell you, freedom and human rights in America are doomed. The U.S. government will lead the American people in — and the West in general — into an unbearable hell and a choking life. - Osama bin Laden

TIM
    EII 4w5
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the heart.

One of my friends got a shrub tramp stamp, and when it was still new and red and painful, it looked like a burning bush, which I thought was really cool. I wish I had a picture of it.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

ha, i'd almost forgotten about when i was about 15 and me and this girl i was in a foster home with tried to give eachother matching cross tattoos on our hands with pen ink. looking at it now i only see the slightest pucker of skin that could almost be shadow. but its a cute memory anyway.

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've a scar in the shape of a cross on my arm. From falling down onto barbed wire last winter. ripped my pants too.

I like tribal tattoos:

Creepy-pikachu

I have a phoenix on my leg, with my late sisters initial on it. I also have a lucky clover about 3" above my groin, lol.

Work doesnt care, cause they can be covered up. No one really cares. I like them because theyre a part of my body now -- no big deal.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm probably too chicken to ever get tattoos, both cause i'm scared of the pain and the decision is too final. i didn't like tattoos through most of my life but have been getting more tolerant of the idea* and maybe in some distant far off sense interested. but i don't see that realistically ever leading to anything at this point.

* SELECTIVELY not categorically. i don't think i'll ever get to the point where most or even many tattoos look remotely good to me.

these are cool in my book:

TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Zombie Boy is just so gorgeous. A man transformed into a piece of art.
    “I tell you, freedom and human rights in America are doomed. The U.S. government will lead the American people in — and the West in general — into an unbearable hell and a choking life. - Osama bin Laden

TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by labster View Post

Any more pictures of her? Like with less clothes? Purely out of my love for tattoos, naturally.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Any more pictures of her? Like with less clothes? Purely out of my love for tattoos, naturally.
    here name is Chelsey Mac; i don't know anything beyond that. you could try asking the person that owns the board where i found it if you're really itching to find out more: http://pinterest.com/randallagordon/the-body-the-canvas

TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you. This link will do juuust fine.

Oh my gods. She has moon phases and a pentagram in her chest!

Creepy-pikachu

Lab, tattoos dont really hurt, unless you do them over bone.

lol @ wiccan Ani.

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some people look great covered in tattoos. Others look like they are trying way too hard.

^that's sexy.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Disturbing Viral Video Shows Mother Forcing Toddler to Get a Tattoo
    http://gawker.com/5979728/disturbing...o-get-a-tattoo

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

another one i like.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Perpetual Confusion Machine PistolShrimp's Avatar
    TIM
    IEI-Ni 4w5 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've wanted to get a small ouroboros on the back of my neck or in between my shoulder blades for a while now, but it's hard to find a design that isn't tacky or just plain hideous.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sure people have seen mine but oh well. Aside from these two, I have two additional small ones. One on my stomach and one on my ankle. The only one that even remotely hurt was my arm piece. It swelled so badly I couldn't even raise my arm. I compare it to being skinned alive.

Don't quote.

I used to be all for tattoos and don't get me wrong, I absolutely love mine but tattoos seem to be such a fad these days. Everyone and their mother has a sleeve...it's like...UGH. I was thinking about getting something to add to my arm piece but not until this fad dies down. It's like, let me be special dammit.

Mermaid with Stellar views SyrupDeGem's Avatar
    TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is a tramp stamp just a tattoo? or a particular type of tattoo? I have none at all, i also have no piercings at all, not even ears...blank canvas.
    I do like tattoo's though, there was a local guy who was head to toe covered in jigsaw pieces, that was beautiful.
    My mother has a tattoo and she is seventy, it still looks great.
    I did think when i was younger i might like to have a ring of purple roses around my belly button, to me the idea of that would signify the potential of birth, growth, life.

Now this is a story all about how, my type got changed, turned upside down. Just wait for a minute and watch chatbox right there, & I'll tell how Gem became the moderator with blue hair.

In typology central friended and praised, on the picture thread was where she spent most her days. Chilling out, selfies, relaxing all cool, And all typing some people and getting them schooled.

When a couple of girls who were up to no good, Started annoying her & her friends in the forumhood, She got in one little flame war & got pissed off & said 'I'm moving in with that exboyfriend in the forum with the socionics toffs.

So Gem pulls up to the forum for a year without being a hater, And yells to typocentral 'Yo creeps! Smell Ya later', Became a mod in her kingdom she was finally there, To sit on her throne as the mod with blue hair.

InvisibruJim

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GemOfTroy View Post
    Is a tramp stamp just a tattoo? or a particular type of tattoo?
    It's a tattoo located on the posterior pelvis between the waist and uppermost buttcrack, and one which is popular with female sheeple.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dolphin View Post
    You are beautiful.
    Thank you dolphin

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.”
    ― Anais Nin

Banned
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It seems like tattoo has become hugely popular, especially in the American West from my visits there. They are found in popular movies aimed at young adults, they are featured in Reality TV Shows such as Inked. I wonder about this cultural trend, what it means, what it says about the people gettng them, why they are getting them, and maybe what it will look like in 200 years or more.

I'm thinking about possibly starting my own tattoo journeys. I'm older now and most of my family who I respected and valued their negative opinions about tattoos have passed on. I have many scars on my skin and wondered if I could get them covered with art. I just worry about joining something that could be basic, though of as basic.

I wonder how I would be perceived and it makes me think that I still value how people perceive me visually and how that might effect my life path. And then I wonder if I even care what others think.

Anyway, just some thoughts.

Banned
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Something about this black and white sleeve, not really tribal, done in a woven fabric pattern, I find appealing:

IMG_2869.JPG

TIM
    SEI 9w1
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I want to get a tattoo on my rib. And I want one behind the ear. I already know what I want on my rib but I'm not sure about the other one.

I like minimalist tattoos on me. I don't want arm tattoos because they seem too masculine to me.

I love seeing sleeve tattoos on men though
    Chronic "grass is always greener" syndrome

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1553 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fatgurl View Post
    I want to get a tattoo on my rib. And I want one behind the ear. I already know what I want on my rib but I'm not sure about the other one.

I like minimalist tattoos on me. I don't want arm tattoos because they seem too masculine to me.

I love seeing sleeve tattoos on men though
    This is why I should have become a tattoo artist.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tattoos are a prime example of a niche subculture completely taking over the mainstream. Tattoos used to be relegated to folks like sailors, gangbangers and the special forces, not so much to the respectable middle and upper classes of the Western world.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xerx View Post
    Tattoos are a prime example of a niche subculture taking over the mainstream. At least in the Western world, tattoos used to be relegated to folks like sailors, gangbangers and the special forces, not so much to the respectable middle and upper classes.
    That's a very limited time perspective.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tonatiuh View Post
    That's a very limited time perspective.
    Of course it is. I was talking about the modern era.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xerx View Post
    Of course it is. I was talking about the modern era.
    Ah, then add whores to the list.

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am too indecisive to get a tattoo.
    The Barnum or Forer effect is the tendency for people to judge that general, universally valid statements about personality are actually specific descriptions of their own personalities. A "universally valid" statement is one that is true of everyone—or, more likely, nearly everyone. It is not known why people tend to make such misjudgments, but the effect has been experimentally reproduced.

The psychologist Paul Meehl named this fallacy "the P.T. Barnum effect" because Barnum built his circus and dime museum on the principle of having something for everyone. It is also called "the Forer effect" after its discoverer, the psychologist Bertram R. Forer, who modestly dubbed it "the fallacy of personal validation".