Default Stanisław Lem - The brilliant futurologist

306bad97e2904f97928e4b54402b1ba7.jpg

1) Introduction
    2) Solaris
    3) Science and Faith
    4) Lem's Philosophy
    5) Quotes
    6) Facts and opinions of his environment

Stanisław Lem (12 September 1921 – 27 March 2006) was a Polish writer of science fiction, philosophy and satire. His works explore philosophical themes; speculation on technology, the nature of intelligence, the impossibility of mutual communication and understanding, despair about human limitations and mankind's place in the universe. They are sometimes presented as fiction, but others are in the form of essays or philosophical books. Translations of his works are difficult due to passages with elaborate word formation, alien or robotic poetry, and puns. Multiple translated versions of his works exist.
    It is important to connect Lem with futurology. His ability to predict future trends was outstanding, and till this day his 'prophecy' from past is fulfilling. Soon after his success and popularity, governments were curious about Lem's ability to predict. At times of cold war people like him were priceless, a lot of people wanted to correspond with him and wanted to find out how is he able to have such accuracy. At some point USSR thought that Lem is polish project of brightest minds trying to predict technology outcome.

Solaris is the first polish book in history to make such huge impact on such wide audience all over the world. Also it is first book of Lem that brought greater attention. Solaris in very simplified description, contains shows human kind meeting different consciousness. Consciousness pushes characters for deep introspection, which is very significant and visible topic in the book.

“We have no need of other worlds. We need mirrors. We don't know what to do with other worlds. A single world, our own, suffices us; but we can't accept it for what it is.”
    “I felt myself being invaded through and through, I crumbled, disintegrated, and only emptiness remained.”

Science according to Lem is not something that answers the questions. It only makes it more possible to be closer to answer with it's hipotetic constructions to bring better picture of reality, in the same way as minds of the socially working scientists.
    Translation of one question(from first link):
    " In which moment does faith lie in achievements of science?"
    " It is not really about me, this audition is happening because this camera works, which is result of science. And you came here because you believed that car wouldn't break, you believed that meteorite won't fall on you. These are examples of faith that is more or less likely happening. Faith and Knowledge represent two extremes of a pole. It will be always mixed somehow. On one hand we have pure religious faith that doesn't demand 'school supplies' to believe, on the other hand we have pure knowledge. If a watchmaker repairs a watch, he uses his knowledge. It's almost impossible to split faith from knowledge. We always can find something of knowledge in faith, and some faith in knowledge.

Lem thinks that nothing awaits us after death. He also mentions that he has never really thought about life after death too much, and it's not his speciality.
    At some point he stopped writing belles-lettres and 'damaged' or killed his protagonists to make sure he won't come back. His wife suggested that his writing carried 'a mission' to make the world better place, although Lem states that world can't be made a better place, it follows its own road.

His interest of history was focused on impacts of events. Lem points out that history itself isn't that interesting to him. He also mentions that we are very vulnerable beings, and religion has only been with us for two thousand years, what in perspective of age of earth is not really much.
    Stanisław finds asylum in comprehending 'moment of existence' through sciences that research cosmos. He points out how small earth is and how insignificant when taken as whole picture.

"Either something is authentic or it is unauthentic, it is either false or true, make-believe or spontaneous life; yet here we are faced with a prevaricated truth and an authentic fake, hence a thing that is at once the truth and a lie."
    "Man does not create gods, in spite of appearances. The times, the age, impose them on him."
    "You climb to reach the summit, but once there, discover that all roads lead down."

- Before World War II, government tested intelligence of children in Poland, Lem scored the highest in south part of Poland. He was considered a brilliant kid,
    - Lem never learned how to use computer,
    - Very often in interviews or quotes he points out how vulnerable and insignificant one man is in whole world,
    - He thinks of world as 'swine',
    - Very often he would joke at people and reality, rarely at himself. He didn't really like anyone to criticize his works,
    - He hid his jewish origins, and luckily avoided getto during the war,
    - Born in rich family,
    - Lem loved cars, he was type of driver with temperament, that liked to drive fast and to overtake other cars,
    - He had significant problems with health in his older years, he was sent to hospital few times in critical state,
    - He suffered depression because of state of Poland,
    - 60th anniversary of publication of The Cyberiad resulted in one of the most complex then doodles : http://www.google.pl/logos/lem/
    - There is 'unspoken rule' behind Lem's books, that most of stories are based on real stories he experienced. Although Lem himself says that he rarely used experienced, all he used was his imagination,
    - His career in science-fiction was kind of accident, as he states himself. Before finishing medicine, he happened to meet someone responsible for publications(Lem wasn't aware of his position). After few meetings, Lem was suggested to write a book by publisher. That's how 'The Astronauts' were started. Lem actually jokes at the title, as he had no idea why he chose it without even knowing content of book or idea behind it,
    - A lot of people point out his incredible memory.

Sources :
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pm0VXfxlQlk
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDvKiY3y6Bs
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanis%C5%82aw_Lem

TIM
    LiL-Tee
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I consider him as ILI, but I have no idea about subtype. Suggestions are welcomed.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like Parkster and Letterman had a baby. Or maybe Parkster and Steve Buschemi...lol. I'd say probably some Te type. A few quotes reminded me of Carl Sagan, whose type I'm not entirely sure of but I guess ENTx. Seems to be a lot of Se/Ni verbiage in this guy's writing, also in a few of the things said about him (all of the people I know who drive like that are either Se egos or Se-seeking, with one possible exception). The whole idea behind studying impacts of events and the obvious implication of deriving patterns from studying these events, while not being very interested in the actual content of history, sounds like Ni>Si. If I had to guess right now I'd say ILI-Te, he seems like a 5 which IMO is more common in ILI than LIE, and the bit about faith vs. knowledge sounds like the brainspawn of a Dialectical-Algorithmic type.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He does look an awful lot like an older Parkster...hmmm...

Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ashton View Post
    If ɣ-NT, my 1st impression is he'd be very likely ILI > LIE.te

He's waxing Dial-Algo pretty hard here: "Either something is authentic or it is unauthentic, it is either false or true, make-believe or spontaneous life; yet here we are faced with a prevaricated truth and an authentic fake, hence a thing that is at once the truth and a lie."
    Yeah I was looking at the picture again and I stumbled on the faith vs. knowledge bit...he does seem to do the DA thing a lot.

Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    LiL-Tee
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't really use his driving as suggestion, drivers in Poland are mad anyway. Yearly count of people who die in accidents altogether is higher than 5 other countries summed up. Also he doesn't look like Se ego, I think he developed it because of surrounding. He moved a lot, he has seen war. He mentioned that he loves peace and higher mountains. People from his surrounding said that he is loner, but a type of loner that needs other people.
    As for photos, try to googling him. He looks in every video/photo differently. Check this :
    http://efantastyka.pl/files/u214/stanislaw-lem.jpg
    http://lem2011.com/wp-content/upload...21-227x300.jpg
    He is definitely much more welcoming. What is worth mentioning, that his biography mentions that a lot of people considered him as rough and cold person through his works, and were surprised how warm and welcoming person that was in the end.

There is very strong Ni ego for sure, it's almost a classic. He isn't very definitive, i watched like 2 hour interviews and very often he answered questions with specific frame, not particular sentence that is 'right'. That made me think he is more of ILI than LIE.

If Brunton is good example of Ni-INTp, then Lem sounds definitely as Te.

Feeling fucking fantastic golden's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If ɣ-NT, my 1st impression is he'd be very likely ILI > LIE.

He's waxing Dial-Algo pretty hard here: "Either something is authentic or it is unauthentic, it is either false or true, make-believe or spontaneous life; yet here we are faced with a prevaricated truth and an authentic fake, hence a thing that is at once the truth and a lie."

Which forum member's lexis is most likely to contain the word 'prevaricated'?
    I admit to using the word prevaricate but he ain't my typo.
    LSI: “I still can’t figure out Pinterest.”

Me: “It’s just, like, idea boards.”

LSI: “I don’t have ideas.”

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's so strage about prevaricate, sorry?

Anyway, ILI makes sense.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

i had to look up futurologist and it sounds cool but to give it a name as if that's a real occupation is just kind of silly IMO

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool thread, interesting points — I love how they jibe with what I already think (go, confirmation bias and motivated reasoning, go!).

Here's my recent yammering about Lem, whom I also deem ILI: http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...l=1#post914526

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which forum member's lexis is most likely to contain the word 'prevaricated'?
    lol k0rp for president

Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Capitalist Pig View Post
    i had to look up futurologist and it sounds cool but to give it a name as if that's a real occupation is just kind of silly IMO
    I partly agree, but I think it's more to do with how one is remembered/thought of, rather than how one is paid...

Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    LSI-H™
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yuck, dirty unwashed ILI who lives in his head.

TIM
    whatever
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ni ego

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stanisław Lem - ISFJ Dreiser

This is the comment you are looking for

TIM
    LSI-C™
    Mentioned
    239 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

This guy seems interesting. I get why people are saying ILI, and I have to agree.