Thread: dichotomies of Reinin

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default dichotomies of Reinin

I don't have much time for translating, so the full text isn't to appear soon.

The main point:
    One man, Gregory Reinin, suggested a set of characteristics (organized in pairs) which are to be used to ease the process of determining one's type. His idea has both adherents and opponents.

STATICS - DYNAMICS

Statics (rational introverts and irrational extroverts):

1. A static perceives the reality around him as set of episodes (scenes, pictures). The consciousness of a static is focused on perception of separate states instead of that of a continuous stream of changes.
    2. When a static gives a description of some event he is declined to generalize and describe it as typical among similar events (" Usually I celebrate the New Year in this way: -- ").
    3. There is usually only one main character in a static’s story (who gives place to some other character rather rarely).
    4. In static’s stories the descriptions of some state prevail, not the descriptions of an action; thus transition from one state into another comes "in leaps and bounds".
    5. His lexicon: frequent use of link-verbs "to be" (""to become”, “to be"), of impersonal sentences with modal verbs (“could", “should”; " it is possible to do" instead of “I do").

Dynamics (irrational introverts and rational extroverts):

1. The current events represent for them a sole conjoint sequence which doesn’t split up into separate episodes. The consciousness of a dynamic is mostly focused on perception of a continuous stream of changes, not states.
    2. Giving a description of some event a dynamic hardly will generalize, he describes something concrete ("The previous New Year I’ve spent -- "). When describing something he behaves as though he were in the centre of described event himself, as though he "is involved" in it.
    3. In dynamic’s stories usually all characters become main ones, and that may concern even inanimate objects.
    4. In dynamic’s stories the descriptions of some processes prevail, not the descriptions of states.
    5. His lexicon: uses lots of verbs describing action without a direct object ("has gone", "has made", "has brought", "have sat down", ""had fun, have shed a few tears"). In his stories he uses lots of main verbs expressing actions of the story-teller or of the other characters and the interaction between them.

Examples

Static:
    " I’m always exhausted when the New Year comes ". " I’d like to spend the New Year’s Eve -- ". " It was dull to -- ". " I stayed at home ". " We were guests at --". " This holiday was better in comparison with the last one ".

Dynamic:
    " The New Year's tree smells fantastic. The house is simply imubed with emotions ". " This New Year we’ve spent doing this and that ". " We have gathered together, songs sang, celebrated". " In New year I always expect some miracle... then comes disappointment... inevitably ".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also heard that Statics use analysis (breaking info down into parts and analyzing each) and Dynamics -- synthesis (compiling the whole picture from parts of info) for information processing.
    If a shoe don't fit, it ain't your shoe!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Narrator - Taciturn

Taciturn (intuitis from I and II quadra, sensors from III and IV quadra):

1. Taciturn is more inclined to interrogative inflexions. Even his statements sound less categorical as Narrator’s.
    2. Taciturn is inclined to answer a question with another question. Quite often he starts telling a story with phrases such as " What should I tell you about?.. ". Frequently he asks questions that don’t need to be answered, repeats his question even though he has heard and understood what he was asked about ("Would you like some chips? " - " Who? Me? Yes please."). He oftenly uses questions as a means of keeping up the conversation (may repeat his question to win time for thinking over the answer).
    3. Taciturn prefers a dialogue in a mode of questions and answers. He always seems to be leading a dialogue with a real interlocutor (" it would be desirable to hear your responce ", " ask me and I shall answer ") or with am imagined one (internal "dialogue"). Even if tacturn’s story was conceived as a monologue it usually will in any case breaks up into fragments (question - answer).
    4. Taciturn reacts on a question put during his monologue at once – he gives an answer and then returns to the former theme. Being adjusted on a dialogue rather than on an "unanswered" monologue he prefers being asked questions. It’s harder for him than for Narrator to resist the temptation of interrupting the interlocutor with a question.

Narrator (sensors from I and II quadra, intuitis from III and IV quadra):

1. Affirmative intonations prevail in Narrator’s speech which may be perceived as confidence or rigidity. Even his questions sound in affirmative tone.
    2. Narrator tends to ask a question in order to receive (or find) an answer. Unlike Taciturn he rarely answers a question with a question or uses questions without semantic sence as a means of keeping up the conversation.
    3. Narrator is more adjusted on dialogue in a mode of a monologue - when the interlocutors “speak one after another” (there is an exchange of a series of monologue). Therefore he subconsciously aspires to transform a dialogue intoto a monologue (either in his own, or in a monologue of the interlocutor - by simply listening and not interrupting) – in the end that sounds as a succession of alternating monologues of two interlocutors.
    4. Narrator may " lose his train of thought " when interrupted in the middle of his monologue, therefore he usually waitsfor the ends of comments to continue speaking. In reply to questions asked while he was speaking he asks to wait for the end of his monologue, and builds the answer into his further monulogue ("wait a minute, I will answer your question"). More tolerant (with more understanding) does he listen to a request not to interrupt and waits for the end of the story, listens to the end and only then asks his question or comments.

Analogy

Narrator and taciturn as though narrate in diffirent genres. Narrator has a completed narration - the story where there is a plot, culmination, denouement. Taciturn conducts a play consisting of dialogues.

Examples
    Taciturn:
    Is there more than one way to do this? Yes (he has completely repeated the question he was asked before giving an answer). " What shall I tell you about? What do you want to know? Yesterday I went to -- " (before answering what he did yesterday he asks some questions that don’t need to be answered to).
    Narrator:
    " When people list all of their numerous interests I do not understand whether they "talk nonsense" or what? " (the question sounds as a statement).
    IMHO

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

/////

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So pretty much statics are MBTI: P types, and dynamics are MBTI: J types. If this is so, I think the actual MBTI test could be improved using the differences described.

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NFp-
    Does anyone here rely heavily on dichotomies of Reinin to type people?
    All these Reinin's dichotomies are one great mistake. They have been obtained wrongly, and they cannot improve typing.
    I avoided placing a special section about them in the English section of my site, but if you have automatic translators, you can read about them in the Russian section:
    http://socioniko.narod.ru/ru/1.begin/reinin-priz.html
    www.socioniko.net is no longer my site.