Thread: The Dangers of Aristocracy: One man's opinion

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The Dangers of Aristocracy: One man's opinion

Hi all. Let me preface this first by saying that I'm bit at all associated into the state I was in when I came up with writing this article/post. I'm actually listening to some bitching house music right now.

Do you listen to house music?

Some of you would say 'yes' and some of you 'no'

Let me ask you -- how many times have you been hanging with friends, or whatever, talking or listening to someone -- Someone then reveals a prejudice towards someone. Something like "Oh my god, they're such a X"

Does this sound familiar?

Aristocracy and Democracy

I realized something interesting.

For those who aren't yet aware, Aristocracy/Democracy is a Reinin Dichotomy: People who have blocked sensing and feeling are democrats, blocked sensing and thinking would make you an Aristocrat.

Let me state what I believe about this: First of all, I am an Aristocrat ("confirmed" through my type breakdown, but also I simply agree with the assessment completely). As such, here is how I see it. Aristocrats categorize what they take in through their senses, while Democrats find themselves feeling when confronted with sensory input. For example, A desk is perceived (through sensing) by a democrat and aristocrat. The Aristocrat takes in details about the object, e.g. its color, shape, texture, flavor, etc. Then (the following is what happens in my case, so I welcome additional observations on this point), each of these details are linked to some other detail. I must note that this can take place on a conscious or unconscious level. I know that if I see a desk, I'll be able to recall details such as, it is brown, wooden, metal legs, etc. But more than that. Based on its appearance, an aristocrat will discover whether the object is new or old, inexpensive or expensive, as well as any emotional impressions that may come. I use the word "discover" loosely however, for reasons I will make abundantly clear.

The democrat, with blocked sensing and feeling, perceives an object (or subject) through the senses, and is met with an emotional impression.

I don't want to define these categories too strictly, but the Reinin dichotomy is clearly outlined.

Some more about Aristocracy

Aristocrats categorize things into groups. As someone, somewhere else put it: "An [Aristocrat] will form groups based on what he sees. His impression of the object will also be affected by the group to which the object belongs. This is not to say, however, that their categorizing is prejudiced. It may be the case that certain Aristocrats really have discerned underlying patterns that allow the neat and simple categorization of phenomena into black and white rules. Like how, we say a fish describes a creature with gills, that swims, is found in water, etc. But not all creatures that live in water are fish. As he grows, his categories are capable of growing, and the nuance and subtlety of patterns emerge through reflection, underlying patterns that may (emphasis added) be 100% real, valid, testable and falsifiable are revealed. Though his fellows may not be capable of seeing. Therefore loneliness is not uncommon."

Note the emphasis added, it's the entire point of what I want to share with you all.

Once again: "underlying patterns that may (emphasis added) be 100% real, valid, testable and falsifiable are revealed."

In my humble and all-too limited opinion, some, if not all Aristocrats, are the undisputed masters of seeing the underlying patterns. Of course this is not easily falsifiable, if at all. And there are too many variables, I feel, to test here. But I'm an IEI so that doesn't matter.

The point:

All of us discriminate. I want you to judge what I'm saying carefully though, I don't mean being racist or sexist (necessarily). My point is this. Democrats discriminate sense impressions based on their feelings. When in a conversation, they're likely to converse in a manner that feels good. Or when someone in a group of friends asks them a question, they will likely consider how the question makes them feel, as opposed to an Aristocrat, who, when faced with questioning, may simply answer the question logically. But this is about Aristocrats.

Aristocrats, one must be very careful with slotting PEOPLE into groups, I don't care how much a person fits into a neat box. Have you ever felt unduly discriminated against, judged, based on something, for example, you couldn't control? Maybe your hips move funny when you walk because of injury or birth defect. Maybe you slightly lisp because your teeth came in funny.

PEOPLE ARE UNABLE TO SEE WHAT'S INSIDE OF A PERSON.

I believe that people are suffering unnecessarily, in part because of Aristocrats making judgements of people based on insufficient or incorrect/misapplied/wrong information. I believe this because I see it constantly - and I too have been guilty of this. It hurts people for a good reason, social rejection hurts. When a person is judged as somehow insufficient or seen as strange, that hurts. And I don't think I need to preach on this, we've ALL been victims of discrimination at one point or another.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The premise is wrong, aristocrats use S-T functions to "categorize" (or w-e) only when they are ST types. Do you really believe NF types are technically blind?

Besides, even SF types can use the aristocrat categories randomly. ESFP sayz blah blah blah that polish guy wooed me and then left me right after sex! Polish men are assholes!
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In a way I see Aristocracy vs democracy as a difference in an individuals character, aristocrats are more likely to rely on on previously observed characteristics in other people aswell as the groups they belong to, their social "class" and the people they're associated with when tying to gauge someones character. Whereas a democratic type will judge people on a more case-by-case basis developing an opinion of the individual as they get to know them but that can still be as biased and prejudiced as an aristocrat. It's more about how flexible minded the person is I guess...

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by franktheplank View Post
    Let me ask you -- how many times have you been hanging with friends, or whatever, talking or listening to someone -- Someone then reveals a prejudice towards someone. Something like "Oh my god, they're such a X"
    I would rather listen to voices is my head.

For example, A desk is perceived (through sensing) by a democrat and aristocrat. The Aristocrat takes in details about the object, e.g. its color, shape, texture, flavor, etc.
    Does that mean you have to touch and eat the desk to estimate its monetary value? I don't and am usually correct in my estimations just by talking a quick look at it.

I know that if I see a desk, I'll be able to recall details such as, it is brown, wooden, metal legs, etc. But more than that. Based on its appearance, an aristocrat will discover whether the object is new or old, inexpensive or expensive, as well as any emotional impressions that may come. I use the word "discover" loosely however, for reasons I will make abundantly clear.
    Again, does this mean you take into account the price(s) of paint and material when assessing some object's value, that is, this reductionist approach, completely disregarding it's actual wort on a market? I don't.

Aristocrats, one must be very careful with slotting PEOPLE into groups, I don't care how much a person fits into a neat box. Have you ever felt unduly discriminated against, judged, based on something, for example, you couldn't control?
    Nope.

Maybe your hips move funny when you walk because of injury or birth defect. Maybe you slightly lisp because your teeth came in funny.
    ?

I believe that people are suffering unnecessarily, in part because of Aristocrats making judgements of people based on insufficient or incorrect/misapplied/wrong information. I believe this because I see it constantly - and I too have been guilty of this. It hurts people for a good reason, social rejection hurts. When a person is judged as somehow insufficient or seen as strange, that hurts. And I don't think I need to preach on this, we've ALL been victims of discrimination at one point or another.
    Don't discriminate then, hate every one equally...

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, i saw what you did there. You just did that thing. I recognize that thing, and why people do it.

But not all people. Just some people. See, you're one of those people. Because you did that, just like them.
    Projection is ordinary. Person A projects at person B, hoping tovalidate something about person A by the response of person B. However, person B, not wanting to be an obejct of someone elses ego and guarding against existential terror constructs a personality which protects his ego and maintain a certain sense of a robust and real self that is different and separate from person A. Sadly, this robust and real self, cut off by defenses of character from the rest of the world, is quite vulnerable and fragile given that it is imaginary and propped up through external feed back. Person B is dimly aware of this and defends against it all the more, even desperately projecting his anxieties back onto person A, with the hope of shoring up his ego with salubrious validation. All of this happens without A or B acknowledging it, of course. Because to face up to it consciously is shocking, in that this is all anybody is doing or can do and it seems absurd when you realize how pathetic it is.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Diam0nd View Post
    In a way I see Aristocracy vs democracy as a difference in an individuals character, aristocrats are more likely to rely on on previously observed characteristics in other people aswell as the groups they belong to, their social "class" and the people they're associated with when tying to gauge someones character. Whereas a democratic type will judge people on a more case-by-case basis developing an opinion of the individual as they get to know them but that can still be as biased and prejudiced as an aristocrat. It's more about how flexible minded the person is I guess...
    or as they get to test them right? referring to how democrats get to know people.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Absurd View Post
    Everything you said

You say it's like this, but really it isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by k0rpsy
    You're going on ignore.
    Thanks happy to help.

Quote Originally Posted by FDG

The premise is wrong, aristocrats use S-T functions to "categorize" (or w-e) only when they are ST types. Do you really believe NF types are technically blind?

Besides, even SF types can use the aristocrat categories randomly. ESFP sayz blah blah blah that polish guy wooed me and then left me right after sex! Polish men are assholes!
    Okay. If you disagree with what I said, then I didn't say anything.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by franktheplank View Post
    You say it's like this, but really it isn't.
    No, what I said is what I do, so yes, it is.