Thread: Robert Heinlein

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Default Robert Heinlein

beta extrovert, or no?

“A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.”

“I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.”

“Anybody can look at a pretty girl and see a pretty girl. An artist can look at a pretty girl and see the old woman she will become. A better artist can look at an old woman and see the pretty girl that she used to be. But a great artist-a master-and that is what Auguste Rodin was-can look at an old woman, protray her exactly as she is...and force the viewer to see the pretty girl she used to be...and more than that, he can make anyone with the sensitivity of an armadillo, or even you, see that this lovely young girl is still alive, not old and ugly at all, but simply prisoned inside her ruined body. He can make you feel the quiet, endless tragedy that there was never a girl born who ever grew older than eighteen in her heart...no matter what the merciless hours have done to her. Look at her, Ben. Growing old doesn't matter to you and me; we were never meant to be admired-but it does to them.”

“Do not confuse "duty" with what other people expect of you; they are utterly different. Duty is a debt you owe to yourself to fulfill obligations you have assumed voluntarily. Paying that debt can entail anything from years of patient work to instant willingness to die. Difficult it may be, but the reward is self-respect.
    But there is no reward at all for doing what other people expect of you, and to do so is not merely difficult, but impossible. It is easier to deal with a footpad than it is with the leech who wants "just a few minutes of your time, please—this won't take long." Time is your total capital, and the minutes of your life are painfully few. If you allow yourself to fall into the vice of agreeing to such requests, they quickly snowball to the point where these parasites will use up 100 percent of your time—and squawk for more!
    So learn to say No—and to be rude about it when necessary. Otherwise you will not have time to carry out your duty, or to do your own work, and certainly no time for love and happiness. The termites will nibble away your life and leave none of it for you.
    (This rule does not mean that you must not do a favor for a friend, or even a stranger. But let the choice be yours. Don't do it because it is "expected" of you.)”

“Secrecy is the keystone to all tyranny. Not force, but secrecy and censorship. When any government or church for that matter, undertakes to say to its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not know," the end result is tyranny and oppression, no matter how holy the motives. Mighty little force is needed to control a man who has been hoodwinked in this fashion; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, whose mind is free. No, not the rack nor the atomic bomb, not anything. You can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him.”

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cmon he is a fucking clear ILE as fuck

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I would consider that too but your post doesn't give me much to chew on.

TIM
    optifree
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like this guy

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I've only read the man from Mars (I think that was what it was called) and I wasn't impressed. I'm interested in him because I think he's probably overrated and because what he showed of his own mindset through his writing (or so it seemed to me) was weird and kind of vile, lol.

Apparently the character of jubal was made after himself and I thought the character seemed sle >Ile. Seeing pictures of him swayed me towards sle and talking to other people led me to consider eie, which is how I landed at beta extrovert and why I would consider ile.

(I liked grandpa bobs post by accident, not that there's anything to dislike)

TIM
    optifree
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lungs View Post

(I liked grandpa bobs post by accident, not that there's anything to dislike)
    aww.
    His views on self-respect, duty, freedom.. remind me a lot of Ayn Rand, who, according to SOCIONIX.COM is SLE.
    His pose looks really forced/conscious. But it looks natural that his pose is forced/conscious, as if he's always been really conscious of his pose, not just because he's famous and has to look good for the camera.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You should read I Will Fear No Evil. It's an existential mind-trip about an elderly billionaire who gets his brain transplanted into a younger body and has to deal with questions on the nature of being and identity. I enjoyed it much more and it is filled with much gratuitous sex. He was a proponent of polyamory in the 70s and I think the time period has to be taken into account with Man From Mars (which I agreed sucked but in terms of 70s counter-culture was WAAAAAAYYYY beyond what people would accept). He is that classic free/foward thinking entp who wants to revolutionize society with his ideas in the mold of a Timothy Leary. Most of the main hero characters in his books are NT like Johann who is a clear intj and most of the female protagonists are ENF. He modeled himself in the style of a spiritualist guru who fucked the naughty hippy girl

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1550 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Heinlein has been my favorite author since I first started reading science fiction. I have always been in-tune with his political views and his writing seemed to appear seamlessly inside my head, much more so than Asimov or Norton or Clarke or Bradbury.

I always assumed that he and I were the same type. Yes, his views on sex were a bit “out there” and his admiration for royalty and military officers made me wonder for a while if he was LSE, but a few re-reads always brought my opinion back to LIE.

I recently watched a few videos of him on YouTube, and I realized that he is an obvious ILE.

A revelation. I am astounded.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Robert Anson Heinlein - INTJ Robespierre

Last edited by khcs; 11-03-2020 at 05:30 PM.
    This is the comment you are looking for