Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anthony Hopkins

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Anthony Hopkins

I did a breif search but couldn't find his type. If its been decided before, what type is he?

Im not sure why but i quite like him. I find him intelligent and his charm is intreaguing.

Last edited by silke; 05-27-2018 at 01:31 PM. Reason: updated video links
    ENFp (Unsure of Subtype)

"And the day came when the risk it took to remain closed in a bud became more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anaïs Nin

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im watching one of his movies, the edge its on TV.

here are some quotes from the movie:

Charles Morse: "Why is the rabbit unafraid?"
    Styles: "'Cause he's smarter than the panther."

Charles Morse: "What one man can do, another can do."

Charles Morse: "We're all put to the test... but it never comes in the form or at the point we would prefer, does it?"
    ENFp (Unsure of Subtype)

"And the day came when the risk it took to remain closed in a bud became more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anaïs Nin

Haha, I seriously love that guy.

I want him to read the bible on tape and make slurpy Dr. Lector sounds.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe Rick has typed him as ESTp.

I disagree, I think he is more of an than person.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

> vibe. And he seems too Se to be ISFp.
    He definitely doesn't seem intuitive to me.
    EIE, ENFj, intuitive subtype.
    E3 (probably 3w4)

Cool ILI hubbys are better than LSIs any time!

Old blog: http://firsttimeinusa.blogspot.com/
    New blog: http://having-a-kid.blogspot.com/

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Expat
    I believe Rick has typed him as ESTp.

I disagree, I think he is more of an than person.
    agreed!
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll do some more research on him again and get back to this thread. One of the things that stood out about him is his uncontrollability and rowdiness in real life, in contrast with the calm and controlled (but often unusually intense or sick) characters he plays on screen. That being said, I find him an intriguing and attractive actor, too (but I find other SLE actors intriguing as well).

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

actually ESTP would make sense about how i feel about him though. I see him as a mysterious ideal, with traits i wish i posessed. Not counting his traits as hannibal. Eating brains is not something i enjoy

ENFp (Unsure of Subtype)

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ESTp, logical subtype seems right to me. I LOVED him in The World's Fastest Indian. Absolutely inspiring.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

INTp.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ESTP? No... he isn't quite forceful enough. ESTPs are Warriors, INFJs are Priests....

Also I assume we're talking about the actor not any character he plays in movies...

He seems INTP-ish more than anything, I agree.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The man is probably INTp - I have only seen him in Silence of the Lambs actually, but I got the feeling there was some intuition going on there, not just in the character, but in the way he played the character. He has a very odd look in his eyes, and he doesn't strike me as being ESTp at all - he is just too unusual looking...

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gilligan87
    ESTp, logical subtype seems right to me. I LOVED him in The World's Fastest Indian. Absolutely inspiring.
    I watched that movie last night... I'd agree it was a pretty cool movie. Probably one of my favorite roles I've seen him play.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

could he be /any/ other type? this guy looks like what my ex-roommate will look like when he's that age. people say he looks ISFp, so i'm curious.

6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How about another approach rather than the usual resemblance-based typing.

Which of the information elements does he display the most?
    Which elements are his characters usually built around?
    Which have been his most successful and memorable performances and why?

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick
    Which have been his most successful and memorable performances and why?
    I really disagree with this approach to typing actors. It may work for those actors who alway show the same personality in a role, and probably are just being "themselves". But in the case of those with a wide acting range, it's rash to make the assumption that their most successful performances are those closest to their own personality. In Hopkins' case, his most memorable performance was as Hannibal Lecter. But that is a tribute not only to his acting but to the other merits of the film. To suggest that Lecter was necessarily, for such a versatile actor, a reflection of his own true personality is a bit of a stretch.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The question doesn't necessarily imply that these roles match exactly the actor's personality, but it is still a good question that merits an answer. Nor was I implying that The Silence of the Lambs has Hopkin's best performance.

Can you imagine other talented actors being a convincing Hannibal Lecter? For example, Tom Cruise? Johnny Depp? George Clooney? Harrison Ford? None of them has the dramatic aura and concentrated power (Depp is not serious enough for it), despite their talent and versatility. Hopkins is likewise limited by his own personality to certain kinds of roles.

The only actors I can think of off the top of my who might be able to pull off something similar to Hopkin's performance and particular energy as Hannibal Lecter are Sean Connery, Marlin Brando, and Rutger Hauer.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It may work for those actors who alway show the same personality in a role, and probably are just being "themselves". But in the case of those with a wide acting range,
    All actors specialize in subtle ways and display a set of stable traits across all their movies, despite roles that appear to contrast with their previous performances. I'm not looking for superficial things here .

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd hardly call Tom Cruise, George Clooney and Harrison Ford talented actors in the sense of Anthony Hopkins or Marlon Brando. But that is something else.

What you call "energy" I call simply their physical characteristics - of course, if those are necessarily type-related, then fine.

I still think you are wrong about Marlon Brando, by the way.

Anyway, Anthony Hopkins played an INTp in "The Edge", and came across very convincingly IMO. But my main reason for thinking he's rather than is from seeing interviews of him.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The other possibility I can see for Hopkins is LSI. I've also read a number of interviews with him and I can see some arguments for and against SLE there, and some for LSI.

The first group of actors I listed earn as much or more than Hopkins, which is in some sense a measure of their talent. But they are not "thespians" like Hopkins. But then, nor can he play many of the roles that they do, because he has the wrong energy.

As far as I know, Hopkins plays only in serious movies with a strong psychological component. No action for the sake of action, no slapstick humor, no pure frivolity. He's a heavyweight aristocrat, with an aristocratic wit.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The other possibility I can see for Hopkins is LSI. I've also read a number of interviews with him and I can see some arguments for and against SLE there, and some for LSI.
    Ok, I'll read more at some point.

The first group of actors I listed earn as much or more than Hopkins, which is in some sense a measure of their talent. But they are not "thespians" like Hopkins. But then, nor can he play many of the roles that they do, because he has the wrong energy.
    I fully disagree with this point; what actors earn is a reflection of their supposed box-office potential, which is related to their looks and what kind of roles they play, not their talent as actors. I do not underestimate, for instance, Schwarzenegger's or Stallone's overall abilities, but are they really that talented as actors? Or Burt Reynolds, who in the 1970s was the top earning actor at some point? One of the 20th century's greatest actors, Laurence Olivier, never made the money that Tom Cruise or Schwarzenegger do.

As far as I know, Hopkins plays only in serious movies with a strong psychological component. No action for the sake of action, no slapstick humor, no pure frivolity. He's a heavyweight aristocrat, with an aristocratic wit.
    He did appear in The Mask of Zorro with Antonio Banderas, and in a very silly movie called The Road to Wellville in 1994. But I'm not sure how that, even if true, would argue against or for a type in his case.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I fully disagree with this point; what actors earn is a reflection of their supposed box-office potential, which is related to their looks and what kind of roles they play, not their talent as actors. I do not underestimate, for instance, Schwarzenegger's or Stallone's overall abilities, but are they really that talented as actors?
    I don't think this is so critical to my arguments. As Clinton would say, "it depends how you define 'actor.'" Schwarzenegger and Stallone are very good at something -- otherwise they wouldn't be where they are. They had plenty of competition to beat. I would say they are talented at projecting an idealized image of an action hero. I suppose you're right -- they are appealing to the masses rather than honing their acting skill. But appealing to the masses is itself a skill...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Anthony Hopkins

Anthony Hopkins, and the characters he plays, seems to be the perfect model of someone I would type as INTJ under MBTI, but more likely ESTp, ISTj, or ENTj under Socionics.

Rick as typed him as ESTp. Ganin, for what it's worth, has typed him as ISTj.

Characteristics of his characters: physically courageous, good at confronting danger, iron-willed, commanding, with a strong intellect, a hint of an "Ni-like" quality, a tendency to "see through people."

My analysis under MBTI would have been axial INTJ (NiTe with strong Se). In my experience, Socionists type people in a "flattened" way; that is, Russian Socionists generally do not buy the idea that the dual function is strong. NiTe (INTp) is unlikely in Socionics because INTps are usually described as not commanding at all, and needing an Se person to protect them, not being physically courageous or imposing themselves.

I point this out because I believe Expat has typed Hopkins' character in "The Edge" as INTp (NiTe). This gives rise again to the question of the "Strong Se INTp." Is there such a thing? INTjs on the forum sometimes express the view that INTps are forceful and aggressive. I think this challenges the more usual Socionics interpretations.

On the other hand, I would like to know from Rick or others why the T that Anthony Hopkins displays is Ti rather than Te. It is probably the fact that he seems Te-like in some ways that gives rise to the "axial NiTe" notion.

A very similar person in history is the great classical composer Richard Wagner. Before Socionics, I would have typed Richard Wagner as NiTe (borderline NiFe) with strong Se. Such a typing (Strong Ni and Se) makes little sense to Socionists, who type him as ESTp.

So the issues are 1) why Socionists tend to see Ti in these people; 2) why people with an MBTI background tend to see Te; 3) whether ENTj is a reasonable alternative typing; and 3) whether the idea of an aggressive, physically courageous, commanding, iron-willed personality is compatible with acc-Ni.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd hardly call Tom Cruise, George Clooney and Harrison Ford talented actors in the sense of Anthony Hopkins or Marlon Brando. But that is something else.

What you call "energy" I call simply their physical characteristics - of course, if those are necessarily type-related, then fine.

I still think you are wrong about Marlon Brando, by the way.

Anyway, Anthony Hopkins played an INTp in "The Edge", and came across very convincingly IMO. But my main reason for thinking he's rather than is from seeing interviews of him.
    Okay, I noticed there's already a thread on Anthony Hopkins (Although it comes at from a different perspective from my other thread.) I'm curious: Why is Hopkins's character in "The Edge" INTp? He seemed to display a lot of physical courage and seemed very commanding. Are those typical INTp traits?

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Totally ISTj.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG
    Totally ISTj.
    Seems reasonable to me, at least as far as the characters I've seen him play...very controlled, an inner intensity, and strong .

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ISTj is the most likely type for Hopkins, at least on V.I. and general appearance.

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MORE OVALTINE PLEASE

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    332 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh yeah...

ISTj.

That's what I thought originally, though Rick converted me to thinking ESTp for a while.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Anthony Hopkins

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan
    I point this out because I believe Expat has typed Hopkins' character in "The Edge" as INTp (NiTe). This gives rise again to the question of the "Strong Se INTp." Is there such a thing? INTjs on the forum sometimes express the view that INTps are forceful and aggressive. I think this challenges the more usual Socionics interpretations.
    Just to clarify -- I typed the character as INTp (as well as Alec Baldwin's as ISFp) due to the script, which seemed to be almost a case study of and against and . I don't think that the impression you get from watching them talking and moving, as played by Hopkins and Baldwin, is immediately "oh they are INTp and ISFp". Also, Hopkins's character as a whole, in the beginning of the movie (before the crash) is rather passive (the "authority" of the character is due to his wealth). He becomes more, Se after the crash precisely because he sees that he's the only one with the knowledge and foresight to take the correct actions. All of that is consistent with INTp imo. However, again, I think that is clearer more by paying attention to the scrip rather than the impression they make.

Ah, there is at least one huge "anti-INTp" moment in that movie for Hopkins - when his character starts with the "what a man can do another man can do" bullshit. That makes sense for an INTp only if done totally for Baldwin's sake.

I think ISTj is good for Anthony Hopkins.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This gives rise again to the question of the "Strong Se INTp." Is there such a thing? INTjs on the forum sometimes express the view that INTps are forceful and aggressive. I think this challenges the more usual Socionics interpretations.
    No it doesn't.

It's not that INTps are forceful and aggressive as their natural state. They are IP, so "go-with-the-flow", but they have as dual-seeking and as a quadra value. They will use when they feel they have to, more readily than an INTj who will prefer to avoid the issue of if possible. I am not saying that INTjs are pushovers, they will just avoid getting into areas, not necessarily by yielding.

So, yes, if put into a situation where they have to exercise Se over others, I think the INTp will more naturally do it than the INTj, even if in other situations the IJ INTj may appear more "rigid" than the seemingly easy-going IP INTp.

If you look at INFps and INFjs, I think it's clearer that the type more naturally inclined to go into "aggressive" mode is the INFp, not the INFj.

I also think that this is the issue of the disagreement between misutii and myself on the Octavian character in "Rome". Mistutii types him as INTj, I type him as INTp - precisely because I see him as easily becoming forceful (not always convincingly) when he thinks he has to. His biggest weak spot is , for which he seems to have no time whatsoever. Hence, INTp rather than INTj to me. Misutii (I am guessing) seems to think that an INTj is the one more likely to be more resolute, or decisive.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not that INTps are forceful and aggressive as their natural state. They are IP, so "go-with-the-flow", but they have as dual-seeking and as a quadra value. They will use when they feel they have to, more readily than an INTj who will prefer to avoid the issue of if possible. I am not saying that INTjs are pushovers, they will just avoid getting into areas, not necessarily by yielding.

So, yes, if put into a situation where they have to exercise Se over others, I think the INTp will more naturally do it than the INTj, even if in other situations the IJ INTj may appear more "rigid" than the seemingly easy-going IP INTp.
    Yeah, I can see INTps doing what needs to be done when in a situation requires it...largely because . Of course emergency situations can bring out all kinds of things in people. I think in an emergency, INTjs can also use their PoLR if their life depends on it. In some ways PoLR is less favored because it's not a quadra value, but in other ways it's more accessible because it's "conscious." I do think that people sometimes go into "super ego" mode; I think you even pointed out once that when under extreme stress, people appear more like their conflict than like their dual. Hence, I could see an INTj going into "hyper" mode and becoming very, very for survival.

Anyhow, since we agree that Hopkins may be ISTj, it makes sense then that if the script had an INTp in mind that he would come off as an INTp with a surprisingly strong dual function. I think his Lecter character had a similar surprisingness to him. That's one of the interesting things about casting someone who's a different type from the character in the script: It allows one to create characters that are a bit larger than life, because they draw on more strengths than "real" people do.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm curious: Why is Hopkins's character in "The Edge" INTp? He seemed to display a lot of physical courage and seemed very commanding. Are those typical INTp traits?
    Well, in my opinion, his character (again, more as defined by the screenplay than by the fact that Hopkins is playing him) is an embodiment of and in that situation. He's shown as a bookworm ("Bookworm" was one earlier title, by the way) and naturally possessing huge amounts of information about anything, even if not all of that is obviously useful or hanging together consistently. He's also the one concerned about thinking ahead, priorizing longer-term needs and possible eventualities, even being proactive over the immediate, short-term needs which is Baldwin's thing.

So, I think that Hopkins's character is best typed as either INTp or ENTj. I prefer INTp because his whole personality, before the crash, is rather IP. He's there observing and "going for the ride" more than anything. His "commanding" aura is due more to his being played by Hopkins and to the character's huge wealth.

Sure he shows physical courage in an emergency, but I see that as doing what has to be done in a difficult situation.

Try to imagine the same role, with the same lines, played by another actor, not as physically commanding as Hopkins -- then INTp becomes more visible.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saw The Edge last night. Good film IMO.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hopkins is some Beta, but not IEI. I thought SLE in the past, but I think he is rational; I would consider LSI for his type, perhaps Ti subtype. He has a very distinguished vibe.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm between LSI-Se and ESI-Se.

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

likely ENFj sp/so (3w2?)

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Edge remains one of my top 10 favourite movies ever.

He is unafraid because he is smarter than the panther.

TIM
    IEE 4w5 sx/so
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by timber View Post
    The Edge remains one of my top 10 favourite movies ever.

He is unafraid because he is smarter than the panther.
    Watching this reminded me of another actor Micheal Kitchen from Foyle's War. I think I have seen him typed LSI

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast