View Poll Results: what is Johnny Depp's type?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • ILE (ENTp)

0 0%
  • SEI (ISFp)

3 7.32%
  • ESE (ESFj)

0 0%
  • LII (INTj)

0 0%
  • SLE (ESTp)

0 0%
  • IEI (INFp)

8 19.51%
  • EIE (ENFj)

5 12.20%
  • LSI (ISTj)

1 2.44%
  • SEE (ESFp)

1 2.44%
  • ILI (INTp)

0 0%
  • LIE (ENTj)

0 0%
  • ESI (ISFj)

13 31.71%
  • IEE (ENFp)

1 2.44%
  • SLI (ISTp)

2 4.88%
  • LSE (ESTj)

0 0%
  • EII (INFj)

9 21.95%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Johnny Depp

from toronto with love ScarlettLux's Avatar
    TIM
    Beta sx 3w4;7w8
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

His wife is definitely Fe Ego

Dress pretty, play dirty ღ
    Johari
    Nohari

Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ScarlettLux View Post
    His wife is definitely Fe Ego
    That's what I thought, too. And actually was leaning towards IEI.
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Baby View Post
    That's what I thought, too. And actually was leaning towards IEI.
    For the wife?
    INFp

If your sea chart does not match reality, go with reality (Old mariner saying)

TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For Vanessa Paradis, yeah.
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i thought she might be extroverted. she's awfully cute though? maybe they're INFp-INFp. or ISFp-INFp. she seems bouncier than he.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't see much of an ISTj or even beta in him. I think he's the same type as Mystery from The Pick-up artist. I think he's alpha introvert. ISFp I think.
    Last edited by Vilzu; 01-12-2008 at 11:49 PM.
    ISTj~Ti, 8w9
    Knowing others is intelligence;
    knowing yourself is true wisdom.
    Mastering others is strength;
    mastering yourself is true power.
    -Lao Tzu

TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ I've seen that show. Mystery is embarassingly dorky.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know Depp too much but all typing threads about him always end up ISFp. So, if it looks like a duck perhaps it is a duck (or something).

Sauron, The Great Enemy ArchonAlarion's Avatar
    TIM
    Yet to be determined
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Johnny Depp

Well Johnny Depp is ISFj. I'll go with ENFp for Jack though, I guess.
    The end is nigh

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I remember watching some interviews with Johnny Depp because I wondered if he could be a good example of an SEI 4. He was very quiet, modest, and unimposing... and thoughtful, very thoughtful. He didn't seem to take credit for any of his accomplishments, and doesn't even watch his own movies (not that he's the only actor who doesn't) because it is seemingly uncomfortable for him. I also was interested in his relationship with Tim Burton (who seems ILE?) from joint interviews, and I was starting to get the impression that a presence like Burton is helpful to Depp because Burton imo appears to see (and deeply respect) all of his potential, talent, and intelligence (something that Depp seems really humble about and doesn't seem to feel comfortable acknowledging). And I wondered if Depp needs that--the sort of story where someone needs someone else to believe in their potential so that they can realize it... otherwise they become lost and disheartened. After watching several interviews I was beginning to see Depp as certainly Si leading and in some of the ones from when he was younger I would have even considered SLI. It's strange because I didn't see any of the unique flair and individuality in the interviews that I see in so many of his characters (though I don't think all of him was "out there"). I did see a lot of the introspective thoughtfulness from the Gilbert Grape character though. I currently think Depp's an SEI 9.

Hah, although looking at this page, it seems it was Nicolas Cage (another apparent ILE) who got him into acting.

TIM
    Yet to be determined
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ew. Not SEI.

He's very controlled in an extremely IJ way.

Compare this video to Bob Dylan (another ESI)

Also, he always rubbed me the wrong way. I never got why people liked him. Of course you'll scream that therefore Im not ILE. W/e.
    The end is nigh

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ArchonAlarion View Post
    ew. Not SEI.

He's very controlled in an extremely IJ way.

Also, he always rubbed me the wrong way. I never got why people liked him. Of course you'll scream that therefore Im not ILE. W/e.
    Yeah, SEI or IEI. I have no plans on questioning your ILE-ness, but I will certainly call into question your typing of Depp as ESI. Intertype relations definitely do not point to ESI, but they do point to at least Fe-creative. Rick agrees: Famous SEIs. Depp also was an SEI on the 2007 Celebrity Benchmark list.

But this is a thread for Captain Jack Sparrow and not Depp.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jack Sparrow is ESFp if he's anything... My hunch says he's nothing... He's too erratic a character to type... It's like trying to type Keith Richards (on whom, I've heard, the character is based) on drugs... Give it your best go.

Archon... So you know... Ashton got a lot of those typings wrong, which you're currently holding up as true.

Why the fuck did whomever move this post? Leave well enough alone, you know.
    Last edited by JuJu; 03-25-2009 at 01:10 PM.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    I remember watching some interviews with Johnny Depp because I wondered if he could be a good example of an SEI 4. He was very quiet, modest, and unimposing... and thoughtful, very thoughtful. He didn't seem to take credit for any of his accomplishments, and doesn't even watch his own movies (not that he's the only actor who doesn't) because it is seemingly uncomfortable for him. I also was interested in his relationship with Tim Burton (who seems ILE?) from joint interviews, and I was starting to get the impression that a presence like Burton is helpful to Depp because Burton imo appears to see (and deeply respect) all of his potential, talent, and intelligence (something that Depp seems really humble about and doesn't seem to feel comfortable acknowledging). And I wondered if Depp needs that--the sort of story where someone needs someone else to believe in their potential so that they can realize it... otherwise they become lost and disheartened. After watching several interviews I was beginning to see Depp as certainly Si leading and in some of the ones from when he was younger I would have even considered SLI. It's strange because I didn't see any of the unique flair and individuality in the interviews that I see in so many of his characters (though I don't think all of him was "out there"). I did see a lot of the introspective thoughtfulness from the Gilbert Grape character though. I currently think Depp's an SEI 9.
    I pretty much agree with all of this. Johnny Depp is an Si IP.

I'm not sure about Sparrow, I've only seen the movie once, but I think ILE is a very good possibility.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I pretty much agree with all of this. Johnny Depp is an Si IP.

I'm not sure about Sparrow, I've only seen the movie once, but I think ILE is a very good possibility.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

TIM
    Se/Ni sx/sp
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hah, although looking at this page, it seems it was Nicolas Cage (another apparent ILE) who got him into acting.
    Depp's wife at the time introduced him to Cage. According to Cage: “I remember when I met Johnny Depp, he was a guitar player from Florida, and he had no idea he could be an actor. I said, ‘I really think you are an actor, that you have that ability.’ That was just from playing one game of Monopoly with him. I sent him to my agent and he has gone on to carve out a successful career.”

Nicolas Cage - Biography

1. Seeing the potential for him to be an actor doesn't make them duals.
    2. We don't even know if they actually consider each other “close friends”—or the extent of their relationship in regards to intertype at all.
    3. And being someone's friend doesn't make them your dual anyway, so it really doesn't matter.
    maybe a saint is just a dead prick with a good publicist
    maybe tommorow's statues are insecure without their foes
    go ask the frog what the scorpion knows

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post
    2. We don't even know if they actually consider each other “close friends”—or the extent of their relationship in regards to intertype at all.
    3. And being someone's friend doesn't make them your dual anyway, so it really doesn't matter.
    Totally right. Still, I think Depp is SEI.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Depp is SEI. Everything he says I am like yep, you are a magical SEI.

I am of the opinion that if something has been done before, then if I do it, then it is nothing to brag about. If I have created or invented something that has not been made before, then it is something that I can be proud of. So if you have idk, made a 100 on a test or acted really well, it's nothing to brag about because there have been a plethora of people who have already accomplished that, so why be proud of it?
    D-SEI 9w1

This is me and my dual being scientific together

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post
    I don't think Cage being ILE and getting Depp into acting makes Depp SEI. ???

ETA: I didn't really mention Si in that whole paragraph... and it's absence and the focus on things such as potential and mentioning ILEs... I can see this impression... I didn't notice I hadn't mentioned Si much... I think I see Si there, but I have no idea how to even attempt to explain it... I mean I could use the frequently used words: calm, laid-back, relaxed, at ease, etc. But that really doesn't mean anything to me... I think I see Si leading and that is all.
    Last edited by marooned; 03-25-2009 at 06:24 AM.

TIM
    ISXj
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

on SEI for Depp.
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves.
    John Muir

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by calenwen View Post
    on SEI for Depp.
    How about SLI?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by calenwen View Post
    on SEI for Depp.
    And your evidence?
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

TIM
    Yet to be determined
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you to whoever deleted my posts. Dick.

And once again, Depp's NOT ISFp.

Guess I can't say why though...

Btw its basically silly to seriously type fictional characters, so typing Depp is worthwhile here
    The end is nigh

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's SEI. He's one of those people everyone generally seems to want in their quadra, though you oddly see him as NOT your dual.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker Mom View Post
    He's SEI. He's one of those people everyone generally seems to want in their quadra, though you oddly see him as NOT your dual.
    Watching this interview... You're right, I believe... I don't note any Se in Depp... His personality reminds me of Paul McCartney's. Light-hearted, cheeky, quirky.

I think Depp as ISFj might have been a bit of wishful thinking on Ashton's part.

Burton is one of those "is he ENFj or ENTps..?"

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Tim Burton is ENTp, and that's why they've worked so much together. I think Expat has written about this some. He's into movies.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker Mom View Post
    I think Tim Burton is ENTp, and that's why they've worked so much together. I think Expat has written about this some. He's into movies.
    What happened to Expat? Last I remember, he was being insulted and got his knickers in a twist.

What happened to Reuben *****?

Anyway, Johnny Depp... Seems SEI in the interview posted.

TIM
    Yet to be determined
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you to whoever deleted my posts. Dick.

And once again, Depp's NOT ISFp.

Guess I can't say why though...

Btw its basically silly to seriously type fictional characters, so typing Depp is worthwhile here
    I have made a grave error lol.

My apologies, didnt see the new Johnny Depp thread
    The end is nigh

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm firm on Si base. Plus no one has made a good point otherwise.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Winterpark View Post
    I'm firm on Si base. Plus no one has made a good point otherwise.
    yep. SEI ftw.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    Yet to be determined
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bret Mckenzie: Si ISFp

Johnny Depp: Se ISFj

Can you really not see the difference? Just look at Depp when he's not talking. Hes like a statue. Sheer Se rockface, likes he's a tightly wound coil. Everything about him is controlled. His movements are slight and abrupt. His eyes are set in stone. They glare and pierce. His entire demeanor is icy.

Ya think Depp would like infantile? I dont fucking think so.

Bret on the other hand is clearly dynamic. When not speaking, hes isnt a stoney statue like Depp, his facial features continue to move and he's extremely expressive. He's affable, energetic, and in my own subjective opinion, looks like alot of fun. No Se icyness, just warm Fe and Ne.

Quotes from Depp:

"Anything I've done up till May 27th 1999 was kind of an illusion, existing without living. My daughter, the birth of my daughter, gave me life."

"France, and the whole of Europe have a great culture and an amazing history. Most important thing though is that people there know how to live! In America they've forgotten all about it. I'm afraid that the American culture is a disaster."

"I am doing things that are true to me. The only thing I have a problem with is being labeled."

"I'm shy, paranoid, whatever word you want to use. I hate fame. I've done everything I can to avoid it. "

"The only creatures that are evolved enough to convey pure love are dogs and infants."

"There are four questions of value in life... What is sacred? Of what is the spirit made? What is worth living for, and what is worth dying for? The answer to each is the same. Only love."

"With any part you play, there is a certain amount of yourself in it. There has to be, otherwise it's just not acting. It's lying."
    The end is nigh

***el X Mercenary
    TIM
    Te-ISTp
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with ESI atm. Most on this board know dick about typing Gammas anyway. Depp has that almost hippy-like, counter coulter Bob Dylan/Sid Vicious vibe. A lot of young Se-ISFj men seem to embody that attitude/flair.

It comes across extremely different when an ISFp wears that style, almost parody.

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Ashton has Depp as an ISFj.

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can you really not see the difference? Just look at Depp when he's not talking. Hes like a statue. Sheer Se rockface, likes he's a tightly wound coil. Everything about him is controlled. His movements are slight and abrupt. His eyes are set in stone. They glare and pierce. His entire demeanor is icy.
    He seems to talk a lot about what he is and isn't comfortable with. He seems shy and modest. The "controlled" aspect I feel is about what he is and isn't comfortable with, and needing to affect things around him so he'll be more comfortable with them. It feels "tightly wound" because he's not being very direct about it, as though it's there but never outwardly expressed. Se is contained, held within, submerged beneath Si.

Quotes from Depp: ...
    Were the bold parts supposed to mean something?

TIM
    Yet to be determined
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subterranean View Post
    Ashton has Depp as an ISFj.
    Lol is that supposed to be some sort of signal for the production of association fallacies?

Quote Originally Posted by glamourama View Post
    not seeing this supposed "iciness" at all. on the contrary he seems very warm, in a subdued sort of way. the "control" you're seeing with his body movements could just be due to him probably being a Sensing type.

and I don't see why those quotes necessarily point to ISFj > ISFp.
    Glam aren't you an Se valuer? Do you think your conception of "warm" and "icy" might differ from non Se valuers?

Si valuers tend to be almost limp and casual instead of uptight. Chill not icy lol.

Have you ever seen Calenwen on stickam? She is also rigid in posture and from personal experience ISFj's have that same hard stiffness. Even when excited.

When in a setting such as Depp, I'd expect an ISFj to act just as he did. Cold, soft spoken (I'd expect fast and loud speaking, bordering sloppy, in an antagonistic scenario, however), small movements.

He seems to talk a lot about what he is and isn't comfortable with. He seems shy and modest. The "controlled" aspect I feel is about what he is and isn't comfortable with, and needing to affect things around him so he'll be more comfortable with them. It feels "tightly wound" because he's not being very direct about it, as though it's there but never outwardly expressed. Se is contained, held within, submerged beneath Si.

Were the bold parts supposed to mean something?
    Speaks about comfort in terms of ethics (Not "F", actual ethics). His subjective judgements and concern with "not being labeled" absolutely screams Gamma SF. That must be their favorite phrase "You can't label me" (only half kidding).

The bolded parts just stood out to me as obnoxiously gamma.
    The end is nigh

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Lol is that supposed to be some sort of signal for the production of association fallacies?
    Of course not

TIM
    Yet to be determined
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't perceive his motives as such.

And I can certainly understand what you're saying about Fe.

However, Fe does seek Ti, and Ti is the king of labeling, categorizing, grouping, and defining. Fe-ers enjoy having clear, demonstrable, (external) static rules to cling to. This organization provides them with a way to perceive relationships (Ti is a static field element afterall), these relationships are based on "external" criteria, even though Fe itself is an internal element. The motions of the object are internal, the relationships are external.

I have found that Fi valuers dislike being placed into that sort of system because its totally opposite their own perception of static fields, which is based on inner, non demonstrable, and "inuited" criteria.

So, my impression of Depp is not a rebellious Fe-er making a statement to rouse people or create an image of individualism, but rather an actual dislike of Ti.
    The end is nigh

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wanted to say about Ti and Fe... that while Fe is always moving and an Fe ego type may want to keep moving with it, not being pinned down, that Ti ego types will try to pin them down in each changing moment (though this would be different between Alpha and Beta, of course). Ti adapts to Fe, moment-by-moment in other words. So the Ti ego may be constantly trying to pin down the Fe ego, and it can never get bored because the Fe ego is always in flux. To stamp a label on an Fe person for all of eternity would probably be something they don't like and might say things like "don't label me," while simultaneously wanting to be pinned down logically (and made sense of because they feel they're full of contradictions), so they can just change, and it can start all over again. What I'm trying to say is that I don't think that "not wanting to be labeled" means "not Ti friendly." In fact doesn't Fi label? And cast seemingly more permanent character judgments?

PS: I just wanted to make this comment, and haven't thought about what you were saying about what Depp himself is demonstrating, Archon (I haven't read it yet).

TIM
    Yet to be determined
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, but Fi-ers don't think of it as labeling. In fact if you ask them about their judgements its likely you'll hear, "Idk, its justs how I feel. I can't explain it, theres people you like and people you just don't. Its chemistry."

Now of course everyone can understand chemistry, but the deliverence the Fi-er gives it is disgusting and unfair imo.

I need clear displays of affection and I judge how much people like me by how much we like hanging out, how much fun we have, etc.

I mean, Im not blind, but its become clear to me that I totally whiff on the subtley that shows how people feel about eachother.

Others will come to me and be like, "Yo, person x really hates person y," and I'll be like, "What, why? How do you know?"

But Fi isn't just about human relationships, so yeah.

Where was I?

Oh labeling. I label early and often. Tbh though I know many Fi-ers like stuff like socionics, but its hard for me to imagine them seeing it in the way I do, or even finding it agreeable at all, irl. One of the main practices of socionics is an external explanation of human relationships. This makes sense because Augusta was Ti ENTp, and likely hated foggy-ness over human interaction and aggressively sought to define and measure it in her own external way.

But uh.......................................

Depp seems like the kind of person who would not find my categorization and labeling enjoyable.

*edit: eh, take that with a grain of salt.
    The end is nigh

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, jake agrees with Ashton and can only highlight quotes to explain himself? Surprise!

I think Im just going to replace all of your posts with links to Ashley's wikisocion page.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast