Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: Official Book Thread

I started this last night, 50 pages approximately in and I'm hooked

"In a time of suspicion and accusation, to be a woman is the greatest risk of all...Fleetwood Shuttleworth is 17 years old, married, and pregnant for the fourth time. But as the mistress at Gawthorpe Hall, she still has no living child, and her husband Richard is anxious for an heir.When Fleetwood finds a letter she isn't supposed to read from the doctor who delivered her third stillbirth, she is dealt the crushing blow that she will not survive another pregnancy. Then she crosses paths by chance with Alice Gray, a young midwife. Alice promises to help her give birth to a healthy baby, and to prove the physician wrong.
    As Alice is drawn into the witchcraft accusations that are sweeping the north-west, Fleetwood risks everything by trying to help her. But is there more to Alice than meets the eye? Soon the two women's lives will become inextricably bound together as the legendary trial at Lancaster approaches, and Fleetwood's stomach continues to grow. Time is running out, and both their lives are at stake. Only they know the truth. Only they can save each other."

TIM
    / / /
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I read "The Dream of the Moving Statue" which seemed great, only it was incomprehensible, like maybe... Si-PoLR? I liked the guy a lot but it took so much effort to understand.

I read "Wide Sargasso Sea" and found it underwhelming. I read "If I Had Your Face" and enjoyed it although it left me with a lot of lingering bad emotions. I'm so excited to start this biography of Laura Ingalls Wilder.

Mentioned
    332 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finished The Queen of Nothing by Holly Back, but it renewed my fairy obsession. I’m so sad the series is over

Today I started “The Cyber Effect: A pioneering cyberpsychologist explains how human behavior changes online” by Mary Aiken.

And I put on hold House of Salt and Sorrows by Erin Craig because it sounds awesome, and hopefully by the time I finish the cyber effect, I’ll get it.
    Pisces 🌞 Pisces 🌚 Virgo Rising

TIM
    SLE (N) 8w9 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    332 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

house of salt and sorrows was way better than I was expecting...dark, moody, gothic, and creepy as hell. I wasn’t expecting such a thing from a ya book.

now onto ‘the hazel wood’
    Pisces 🌞 Pisces 🌚 Virgo Rising

What's the purpose of SEI? Tallmo's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good book! - Catchy title as usual. I am almost finished reading. I like his criticism of Freud. Jung is like "I give full credit to Freud's achievements, but honestly, he was an idiot". (slightly exaggerated). No but there's great stuff in this book.

Last edited by Tallmo; 07-10-2020 at 05:20 PM.
    A true sense-perception certainly exists, but it always looks as though objects were not so much forcing their way into the subject in their own right as that the subject were seeing things quite differently, or saw quite other things than the rest of mankind. As a matter of fact, the subject perceives the same things as everybody else, only, he never stops at the purely objective effect, but concerns himself with the subjective perception released by the objective stimulus.
    (Jung on Si)

My Pinterest

Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any self-respecting citizen of a democratic country needs to read this book. Literally everything written here (by Postman, in the 1980's) is directly applicable to the ongoing 'fake news' crisis happening across the world.

PDF Better Source

Postman argues that the transition from a literate culture to a visual media culture has drastically degraded and simplified intellectual discourse. By commodifying news as infotainment and soundbites, political discourse now lacks the necessary rigour and is trivialized to the point of absurdity. Not just television, but visual media, as a whole, is similarly unexpressive and cannot hold the same depth of information as the printed word.

Postman writes that, during its formation, the United States quite possibly had the highest concentration of literate individuals anywhere in the world. Thomas Paine's Common Sense (a 49 page "pamphlet") was widely read, even by the poor. It surprised no one that Paine was a barely-educated commoner who could write prose with same level of sophistication as Voltaire or Burke. People had longer attention spans, and political debates, like one of the Lincoln-Douglas debates, could last seven hours!

Understandably, he's quite pessimistic about the future of democracy under modern conditions.

When asked to define democracy, people will normally mumble something about freedom. My personal view is that this is insufficient. In fact, the literal meaning of democracy means 'rule by the people'. A ruler who does whatever he wants is a bad ruler, as in the case of watching television instead of reading. The freedom to indulge every decadent impulse is the freedom you give to animals, little children, and tyrants, not, ideally, to someone with influence, through the voting franchise, over the state of other people's lives and liberties.

Low effective literacy and political ignorance is the natural state of affairs in some oriental despotism like Qing China or the Ottoman Empire, not in that would-be distillation of enlightenment ideals known as the United States.
    Last edited by xerxe; 07-28-2020 at 02:00 AM.

Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ironic, I know, but here's Postman discussing his book on TV.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    913 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Democracy is probably under a greater threat from financial inequality, because money equals power.

Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    Democracy is probably under a greater threat from financial inequality, because money equals power.
    That too.

Equality is a necessary precondition of liberty.

TIM
    H-ILE
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

\o/ it arrived TODAY from the UK! *evil laughter*

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011