0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chriscorey View Post
    "History of My Life"
    -Giacomo Casanova

for the third time ... <3
    Is it good?
    You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star. - Friedrich Nietzsche.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SubtleSuggestion View Post
    Is it good?
    It is regarded as one of the most authentic sources of the customs and norms of European social life during the 18th century. It was ace.
    The mind is restless and difficult to restrain, but it is subdued by practice

-Krishna

TIM
    7w6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chriscorey View Post
    It is regarded as one of the most authentic sources of the customs and norms of European social life during the 18th century. It was ace.
    Hm, maybe I'll give it a skim later then.

Nothing beats Art of War by Sun Tzu. (If you're asking the books I'll recommend)
    You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star. - Friedrich Nietzsche.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leckysupport View Post
    Just so everyone knows I'm currently reading Spiritual Verses by Rumi and I've just finished re-reading Consolation of Philosophy by Boethius.
    Have you read Confederacy of Dunces?
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-Krishna

"Information without energy is useless" Nowisthetime's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Books by EIIs "the author" are usually good. Like Dostojevsky, Mika Waltari...

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perhaps you could be more specific.

Are the books official, is the thread official, are the reviews official and who decides/ what are the criteria for what is official?

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Some people on here are like books with plot twists and suspense, some have their covers too far apart and it is impossible to read them, though.

Marxist Ne’er-do-well Red Villain's Avatar
    TIM
    Te-SLI/ xNTJ
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"The Jungle"- Upton Sinclair
    "Roadside Picnic" -Arkady and Boris Strugatsky
    "Jurassic Park"- Micheal Crichton
    "Les Miserables"- Victor Hugo
    "Lost Illusions"- Honore De Balzac
    "We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.".

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

finished love in the time of cholera. started and abandoned thus spoke zarathustra. i got fed up with trying to understand it. like the chapter about women (you know, don't forget the whip), theres a part in the footnotes about how its not really about women but he uses women as a metaphor for mind or some shit and i just couldn't buy it. and its like how am i supposed to read any of this if something so obviously about one thing is actually about something else.. i mean i don't think i really suck that bad at understanding metaphors in general, but wtf? i think its vague enough that its like an abstract painting and people make up whatever they want about it. so i tried reading it without trying to interpret it, just to enjoy the flavor of the words. which i could do for awhile but after so many pages of exclamation points it just starts to come across like a bunch of grandiose bellowing. maybe i'll try it again later.

i just started the metamorphosis tonight. maybe some short fiction will kickstart my reading habit back into gear.

Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Animal View Post
    Right now I'm reading Les Misérables by Victor Hugo
    I AM STILL WORKING ON THIS BITCH! 300 pages to go. Life got in the way. The writing is so dense I have to work up the motivation to pick it up, but when I do I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by lungs View Post
    i just started the metamorphosis tonight. maybe some short fiction will kickstart my reading habit back into gear.
    I found that a really unsatisfying read. But Kafka is generally like that. I guess that's the point, lol. I like Amerika -- it's about a guy who is banished by his family to America for his debauchery. Except Kafka's version of America is this bureaucratic acid trip.
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

I am reading "What a Wonderful World" Bio of Louis Armstrong's later years; it's a compelling read, deep sea diving into the many layers of change and history and how the music world evolved; I especially enjoy how the different musician view each other throughout big cultural changes spanning the music career of Armstrong and how Jazz faired and evolved throughout these changes.
    Last edited by Beautiful sky; 06-16-2013 at 12:42 AM.
    -

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nowisthetime View Post
    Books by EIIs "the author" are usually good. Like Dostojevsky, Mika Waltari...
    I also enjoy books by SEI
    -

TIM
    SiTe 6w5 sp/so
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I AM STILL WORKING ON THIS BITCH! 300 pages to go. Life got in the way. The writing is so dense I have to work up the motivation to pick it up, but when I do I love it.
    One of my absolute favorites after you're done i can recommend you war&piece by Tolstoi

TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Daft21 View Post
    One of my absolute favorites after you're done i can recommend you war&piece by Tolstoi
    I bought a copy several years ago but haven't touched it. I'll have to finally pick that up at some point.
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."

TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finished reading Bukowski's Women. I could see parts of myself in the main character, the writer's alter ego, Henry Chinaski.

Henry Chinaski is a writer, a drunk, womanizer and very depressed. He is very introverted and clumsy with women, though his women find him through his books. That's the only reason he gets lucky. He's into betting on horses and boxing. He's an old ugly man in his fifties and he likes younger women. He always checks out the women's legs. He's obsessed with them.

The style is minimalist, grim and yet somehow humanely hopeful and forgiving. Basic Bukowski material.
    “I tell you, freedom and human rights in America are doomed. The U.S. government will lead the American people in — and the West in general — into an unbearable hell and a choking life. - Osama bin Laden

TIM
    No. E9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Starting:

Finishing:

Not a huge crime/mystery fan and wouldn't have bothered if I wasn't told this guy had written Wallander. The prose annoyed me at first (probably just the translation) but the plot makes this a compelling read. Had never thought about the relationship between German Nazism and Sweden before - interesting stuff.

TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Animal I have heard that the book has more levity than the musical/movie. Have you found that to be true? @Absurd taking this opportunity to say how much I enjoyed reading a Marx poem that you posted in some other thread, The Fiddler.
    You seek a great fortune, you three who are now in chains. You will find a fortune, though it will not be the one you seek.
    But first you must travel a long and difficult road, a road fraught with peril.
    You shall see things, wonderful to tell. You shall see a... cow... on the roof of a cotton house. And, oh, so many startlements.
    I cannot tell you how long this road shall be, but fear not the ob-stacles in your path, for fate has vouchsafed your reward.
    Though the road may wind, yea, your hearts grow weary, still shall ye follow them, even unto your salvation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pukq_XJmM-k

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Iris View Post
    Have you found that to be true? @Absurd taking this opportunity to say how much I enjoyed reading a Marx poem that you posted in some other thread, The Fiddler.
    Yeah, I know how to fish people out. Thanks.

context is king
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What I'm reading now:

The Veil of Isis by Pierre Hadot
    The history of the concept of nature in western philosophy.

Divine Horsemen by Maya Deren
    Standard text for understanding Haitian Vodoun.
    Last edited by leckysupport; 07-14-2013 at 03:04 PM.
    ἀταραξία

Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I finished The Beach by Alex Garland some time ago. I had reserved it from the library while drunk and couldn't remember where I'd heard about it or why I wanted to read it when it arrived, but I'm glad I did. I won't reveal too much, but the way the beach paradise is turned into a hell by changes so subtle you won't really even notice until it's too late was ingenious. I reminded me of how often people can establish amazing relationships with amazing people only to wake up to a nightmare one night without knowing what the hell really went wrong and when. It felt very real to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1981slater View Post
    Axis of Evil: Iran, Iraq, North Korea and Agarina
    Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa Darmandzhyan
    Agarina does not like human beings; she just wants a pretty boy toy.
    Johari Nohari

TIM
    LIE-Ni 7w8 So/Sp
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Godfather

TIM
    IEE, 9w1
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm currently reading Gone Girl, by Gillian Flynn for a book club. It's messing with my head.

Favorite Books:
    -The Little Prince, by Antoine de Saint-Exupery (also loved Wind, Sand and Stars)
    -Anna Karenina, by Leo Tolstoy
    -The Family that Couldn't Sleep: A Medical Mystery, by D.T. Max

Next on my reading list:
    -Bossypants, by Tina Fey
    And if God cares so wonderfully for flowers that are here today and gone tomorrow, won't he more surely care for you?- Matthew 6:30

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"I shall look at you out of the corner of my eye, and you will say nothing. Words are the source of misunderstandings."

;_;

@applejacks

TIM
    IEE, 9w1
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Radio View Post
    "I shall look at you out of the corner of my eye, and you will say nothing. Words are the source of misunderstandings."

;_;

@applejacks
    Radio, will you sit a little closer to me every day?
    And if God cares so wonderfully for flowers that are here today and gone tomorrow, won't he more surely care for you?- Matthew 6:30

TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Animal I have heard that the book has more levity than the musical/movie.
    It's true. It's not light reading by any stretch, but Hugo's writing is laced with humor and wit. The novel is also more "spacious" than the musical, which is basically three hours of nonstop misery which sort of desensitizes you to the tragic plot points. In the book, the tragic events are spread out and Hugo paces the action so that when you come across something horrific, it makes a tremendous impact. Also, the Thenardiers serve as comic relief in the musical, which isn't the case with the novel. In the novel, they may just be the most evil characters you meet.

TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's true. It's not light reading by any stretch, but Hugo's writing is laced with humor and wit. The novel is also more "spacious" than the musical, which is basically three hours of nonstop misery which sort of desensitizes you to the tragic plot points. In the book, the tragic events are spread out and Hugo paces the action so that when you come across something horrific, it makes a tremendous impact. Also, the Thenardiers serve as comic relief in the musical, which isn't the case with the novel. In the novel, they may just be the most evil characters you meet.
    I remember as a child seeing Les Miserables on my mother's bookshelf and asking about it because it was so thick. She told me that's a story about a man who gets sent to prison for 20 years for stealing a loaf of bread to feed his family. That sounded so awful and the book looked so thick that I decided never to read it. I also skillfully avoided seeing the musical and even listening to the music. So I finally had to see it last January. I agree about the nonstop misery. It was worse than I expected. However, I loved the story about Valjean's redemption and the life of goodness and mercy that he lived because of the one act of mercy that was shown to him. That made the movie worthwhile to me. I am debating with myself about reading the book.
    You seek a great fortune, you three who are now in chains. You will find a fortune, though it will not be the one you seek.
    But first you must travel a long and difficult road, a road fraught with peril.
    You shall see things, wonderful to tell. You shall see a... cow... on the roof of a cotton house. And, oh, so many startlements.
    I cannot tell you how long this road shall be, but fear not the ob-stacles in your path, for fate has vouchsafed your reward.
    Though the road may wind, yea, your hearts grow weary, still shall ye follow them, even unto your salvation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pukq_XJmM-k

TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I remember as a child seeing Les Miserables on my mother's bookshelf and asking about it because it was so thick. She told me that's a story about a man who gets sent to prison for 20 years for stealing a loaf of bread to feed his family. That sounded so awful and the book looked so thick that I decided never to read it. I also skillfully avoided seeing the musical and even listening to the music. So I finally had to see it last January. I agree about the nonstop misery. It was worse than I expected. However, I loved the story about Valjean's redemption and the life of goodness and mercy that he lived because of the one act of mercy that was shown to him. That made the movie worthwhile to me. I am debating with myself about reading the book.
    Yeah, the movie is actually even more condensed than the musical, which made the problem worse. Definitely give the book a try. Everyone I know who has read it has enjoyed it. Hugo eases you into the story gently. You begin with a long section describing the saintly bishop who changes Valjean's life. This section is pretty enjoyable and not miserable. Meeting Valjean through the bishop softens the blow considerably. There are also whole chapters and even sections that have nothing at all to do with the plot, including an interminable series of chapters on French convents, a long section on the battle of Waterloo and description of the Paris sewer system. A lot of people skip these sections, but they help with the pacing of the story.

TIM
    No. E9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Just reread The Black Sun: The Alchemy and Art of Darkness by a Jungian dude called Stanton Marlan - really decent exploration of the sol niger symbolism using many references - case studies, psychologists, art, literature, etc. There's a free pdf version floating around online and I recommend it if you're that way inclined.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Eye of Cat"

Roger Zelazny

Think I was 11 the last time I read it.

-Krishna

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

I met an LSE who reads sci-fi today =.-
    -

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa View Post
    I met an LSE who reads sci-fi today =.-
    Lol oh? This one is pretty good. The protagonist first has "Cat" help him track a shapeshifter and then Cat and protagonist hunt each other.

-Krishna

TIM
    SLE-Ti 8w7 so/sp
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Daft21 View Post
    never heard of it!

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It's true. It's not light reading by any stretch, but Hugo's writing is laced with humor and wit.
    Providing you're talking about that forum member, it sure is...

TIM
    SiTe 6w5 sp/so
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kill4Me View Post
    never heard of it!
    ok...

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ILEs, this book is going to drive you mad:

TIM
    No. E9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

We carnt makes da cake cos you got to have s adult. Ovens ar hot. *pours flour over head and cries*

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

shouldn't you all reading instead of posting to this thread? i call bs

the final reflection by john m. ford

TIM
    FSE
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reading a battered copy of the Illuminatus! Trilogy by Robert Shea & Robert Anton Wilson, not true, just reading all of the highlighted and underlined text and the handwritten notes. I'll finish great gatsby today. I get tired of reading ebooks so I need a real book break sometimes.

context is king
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Deceit, Desire, and the Novel by René Girard.

Also, not really a book, but I'm half way through The Sandman series.
    ἀταραξία

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast