Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Official Book Thread

I started this last night, 50 pages approximately in and I'm hooked

"In a time of suspicion and accusation, to be a woman is the greatest risk of all...Fleetwood Shuttleworth is 17 years old, married, and pregnant for the fourth time. But as the mistress at Gawthorpe Hall, she still has no living child, and her husband Richard is anxious for an heir.When Fleetwood finds a letter she isn't supposed to read from the doctor who delivered her third stillbirth, she is dealt the crushing blow that she will not survive another pregnancy. Then she crosses paths by chance with Alice Gray, a young midwife. Alice promises to help her give birth to a healthy baby, and to prove the physician wrong.
    As Alice is drawn into the witchcraft accusations that are sweeping the north-west, Fleetwood risks everything by trying to help her. But is there more to Alice than meets the eye? Soon the two women's lives will become inextricably bound together as the legendary trial at Lancaster approaches, and Fleetwood's stomach continues to grow. Time is running out, and both their lives are at stake. Only they know the truth. Only they can save each other."

TIM
    / / /
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I read "The Dream of the Moving Statue" which seemed great, only it was incomprehensible, like maybe... Si-PoLR? I liked the guy a lot but it took so much effort to understand.

I read "Wide Sargasso Sea" and found it underwhelming. I read "If I Had Your Face" and enjoyed it although it left me with a lot of lingering bad emotions. I'm so excited to start this biography of Laura Ingalls Wilder.

TIM
    ESE wannabe
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finished The Queen of Nothing by Holly Back, but it renewed my fairy obsession. I’m so sad the series is over

Today I started “The Cyber Effect: A pioneering cyberpsychologist explains how human behavior changes online” by Mary Aiken.

And I put on hold House of Salt and Sorrows by Erin Craig because it sounds awesome, and hopefully by the time I finish the cyber effect, I’ll get it.
    ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎

TIM
    LSI-H™
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIM
    ISTP
    Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIM
    ESE wannabe
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

house of salt and sorrows was way better than I was expecting...dark, moody, gothic, and creepy as hell. I wasn’t expecting such a thing from a ya book.

now onto ‘the hazel wood’
    ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎

What's the purpose of SEI? Tallmo's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good book! - Catchy title as usual. I am almost finished reading. I like his criticism of Freud. Jung is like "I give full credit to Freud's achievements, but honestly, he was an idiot". (slightly exaggerated). No but there's great stuff in this book.

Last edited by Tallmo; 07-10-2020 at 05:20 PM.
    The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any self-respecting citizen of a democratic country needs to read this book. Literally everything written here (by Postman, in the 1980's) is directly applicable to the ongoing 'fake news' crisis happening across the world.

PDF Better Source

Postman argues that the transition from a literate culture to a visual media culture has drastically degraded and simplified intellectual discourse. By commodifying news as infotainment and soundbites, political discourse now lacks the necessary rigour and is trivialized to the point of absurdity. Not just television, but visual media, as a whole, is similarly unexpressive and cannot hold the same depth of information as the printed word.

Postman writes that, during its formation, the United States quite possibly had the highest concentration of literate individuals anywhere in the world. Thomas Paine's Common Sense (a 49 page "pamphlet") was widely read, even by the poor. It surprised no one that Paine was a barely-educated commoner who could write prose with same level of sophistication as Voltaire or Burke. People had longer attention spans, and political debates, like one of the Lincoln-Douglas debates, could last seven hours!

Understandably, he's quite pessimistic about the future of democracy under modern conditions.

When asked to define democracy, people will normally mumble something about freedom. My personal view is that this is insufficient. In fact, the literal meaning of democracy means 'rule by the people'. A ruler who does whatever he wants, as in the case of watching television instead of reading, is a bad ruler. The freedom to indulge every decadent impulse is the freedom you give to animals, little children, and tyrants, not, ideally, to someone with influence, through the voting franchise, over the state of other people's lives and liberties.

Low effective literacy and political ignorance is the natural state of affairs in some oriental despotism like Qing China or the Ottoman Empire, not in that would-be distillation of enlightenment ideals known as the United States.
    Last edited by xerx; 09-11-2020 at 06:40 PM.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ironic, I know, but here's Postman discussing his book on TV.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1550 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Democracy is probably under a greater threat from financial inequality, because money equals power.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    Democracy is probably under a greater threat from financial inequality, because money equals power.
    That too.

Equality is a necessary precondition of liberty.

TIM
    LSI-H™
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

\o/ it arrived TODAY from the UK! *evil laughter*

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For anyone looking to learn about social conservatism, I recommend “The Abolition of Britain” by Peter Hitchens. He touches on a number of issues, like the sexual revolution, the rise in crime, abortion, the decline in educational standards due to less selective schooling, the decline of religion, etc. He’s profoundly more articulate than Jordan Peterson, whose fame is a mystery to me, and who can barely string together an important idea that doesn’t eventually descend into abstruse psychoanalysis.

I am not socially conservative, and there are many issues (perhaps most) where I don't find any common ground with Peter Hitchens. But he has done some excellent journalism and is very sincere in his reporting and in the beliefs he espouses. He was one of a handful of journalists to report the fact that the Syrian rebels (which the West has been supporting) are heavily made up of jihadists. It's a frightening aspect of the war that religious minorities like Christians have aligned themselves with the regime out of fear of genocide.

I have a lot of time for people who are sincere and uncompromising, even adversarial, in stating their opinions, and who don’t respond to censure, even when their opinions differ fundamentally from my own.

On some issues, I do agree with him. He’s an advocate for technical / trade schools; these aren’t just a gateway to the middle class, they also teach important skills that are criminally shrugged-off by leftists (who tend to favour more liberal education). I did a little bit of vocational training at a local trade school and met with perfectly reasonable people who had no further educational aspirations. University really isn't for everyone, and many non-university occupations (like lathe operator / fisherman / social media influencer) are perfectly honourable professions. As a person of the left, I believe that there is room for everyone at the banquet of victory—we don't all have to be sitting in the same chair.

https://www.amazon.com/Abolition-Bri.../dp/1847065228
    Last edited by xerx; 09-11-2020 at 04:24 AM. Reason: added image

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ There’s also his other book, "The War We Never Fought", about Marijuana's effective decriminalisation in the British legal system.

A word of warning: he delves deeply into the minutiae of British law enforcement. I found these sections tedious because I’m not British and don’t live there. It’s bad enough that my own country’s politics are boring and predictable—which is why I have the time and resources to learn about less prosperous countries.

What I find more interesting is his other claim, which is that psychosis attributable to Marijuana is mainly responsible for mass shootings and terrorism. There is indeed a small body of evidence, with studies correlating Marijuana usage and the increased likelihood of mental illnesses like schizophrenia. If very hard evidence emerges at some point, it would set the stage for a hitherto unforeseen clash between 1st amendment and 2nd amendment factions (to use the convenient American terminology). Whose liberty we choose to restrict—and the fact that liberties can be mutually exclusive—may well be a hot-button political issue some years or decades from now.

It is worth noting that studying multi-variable behavioural and biological systems is notoriously complicated. I'm not qualified to talk about this stuff, so I'll just leave it at that.

https://www.amazon.ca/War-Never-Foug.../dp/1472939387
    Last edited by xerx; 09-11-2020 at 04:50 AM. Reason: fixed typo

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)

I did enjoy the story more than I anticipated - and it seems that I'm not alone:
    "This graphic novel compiles all four of the miniseries issues into one book, along with a couple of creator notes and a sketch gallery. You have almost no chance of being disappointed if you have ever enjoyed a sword and sorcery story. If you are a Conan fan, that percentage is closer to zero. It is the quintessential Howard tale brought to life by an amazing group on individuals who work miracles on the printed page. I can think of no higher recommendation than Robert E. Howard himself couldn’t have finished it any better! By Crom, go buy this!"

context is king
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xerxe View Post
    There is indeed a small body of evidence, with studies correlating Marijuana usage and the increased likelihood of mental illnesses like schizophrenia.
    Just from anecdotal evidence of people who live in the hood here it seems very likely that marijuana use is associated with mental illnesses. It might have something to do with the fashion here of mixing weed with tobacco.
    ἀταραξία

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leckysupport View Post
    Just from anecdotal evidence of people who live in the hood here it seems very likely that marijuana use is associated with mental illnesses. It might have something to do with the fashion here of mixing weed with tobacco.
    Anecdotally, have you noticed a link between marijuana use and violence?

context is king
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xerxe View Post
    Anecdotally, have you noticed a link between marijuana use and violence?
    Well I see a lot of people who smoke heavily with severe mental illnesses from poor backgrounds making bad decisions, a lot of which lead to violence.
    ἀταραξία

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

im actually halfway thru the book rn and its really good
    (the protaganists are a couple 80 yr olds trying to fend off giant worms)
    “You are a little soul carrying around a corpse.”
    - Epictetus

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rereading this now in my off-time. It's written after the '08 financial crisis but is still obviously relevant. The author was one of a handful of economists to point out the housing bubble in the crisis' run up.

Some highlights:

* Conservatives don't give a toss about small government and actively intervene to shape markets according to their own interests, interests that are often opposed to working class interests. Understanding how markets are being artificially manipulated by influential institutions is the first step to taking control of them.

* The Fed. deliberately targets low inflation at the cost of high unemployment (there's an inverse relationship between them: when one goes up, the other one goes down). There are obvious reasons to worry about inflation, and helping to smooth out the business cycle is one of the federal reserve's jobs. But, this is pursued overzealously by the current regime (started under Paul Volcker), and it has helped to displace predominantly blue-collar workers. This policy dovetailed nicely into Reagan's fight against labour unions—workers with lower bargaining power are less likely to challenge the status quo.

* The Fed. keeps the price of the dollar high. Again, this is a calculated policy that's good news for importers, but bad news for exporters. We're repeatedly told that the loss of manufacturing jobs is owed to the comparative advantage enjoyed by overseas countries with cheap labour. That's partially true, and offshoring to lower income countries may even be a necessary trade off WRT. certain labour-intensive manufacturing processes, but there's clearly more to the story. There are important side-benefits to one-sided trade flows (like providing a friendly export market for developing economies, to take one example), but it's a discussion we should be having in full knowledge of all the facts.

* As we all understand the logic behind the offshoring of jobs, it's worth noting that not all jobs are being offshored. Policies exist to ensure that white-collar workers aren't exposed to the same brutal market competition as blue-collar workers. You need a government-issued piece of paper to practice medicine and law, when the fact is that millions of Indian and Asian graduates could do the same job at a lower price. No such accreditation exists for unskilled factory workers.

Although getting highly specialized services overseas poses logistical problems due to travel, it would still be easy for firms to offer some of these services (he covers some of the details). Would conservative and libertarian professionals eagerly support the free flow of capital if their own necks (or their family members' necks) were on the line?

* The stock market is a necessary component of a capitalist economy because it provides investment capital. A bloated stock market just creates waste, particularly in the form of bubble-causing speculative transactions. It is not an efficient use of economic resources to have a large stock market, let alone a stock market that's backed up by government bailouts.

* Government shamelessly intervenes to prop up big business through intellectual property laws (which includes things like drugs, copyright, etc.). That's about as "small market" as imposing tariffs. He goes on to suggest using public funding to cover the cost of research.

This scheme would have the added advantage of making all research results public, allowing an array of medical professionals to comment on the outcomes. ..............I'd really need to double check his claim RE: the extent to which the current system hides medical research; I don't really know as much as I probably should about the pharmaceutical industry.

His piece in Jacobin on intellectual property.
    Last edited by xerx; 11-07-2020 at 06:10 AM. Reason: slight rewording

Your family thinks I'm a criminal
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

I have a good reads account. You can check out all the things I review here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/lis...366?shelf=read

Humanist and Actor Christian Bale's Avatar
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Humanist and Actor Christian Bale's Avatar
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Restricted user
    TIM
    SLI-Si 6w5 613 sp/so
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

20201215_134607.jpg

I've sold, donated, and gotten rid of almost every single book in my library in attempt to switch exclusively to Kindle, with a handful of exceptions that I consider to have been far too impactful to me to get rid of in physical form.

In terms of books currently reading on Kindle, I'm reading Three Musketeers which is a very high testosterone and fun read as well as Handbook of Tradition Living which is a bunch of far right Ni crap. More bothered by the excessive Ni of the book than the far right aspect as learning more about the latter was the whole point in buying it.

Also bought the Charisma Myth and Ego Is The Enemy but haven't started on either yet. Both sound promising from the reviews.

TIM
    ESE wannabe
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finally started on Gulenko’s book, from the beginning. Page 60. Progress!

♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎

TIM
    SLI 5w6
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by one View Post
    Listened to The Four Agreements, now I'll be finishing Never Split the Difference.

I set 21 books to finish this year on Goodreads but hopefully I'll get to read twice of that.
    Some of my books to read include Last Train to Memphis and Careless Love, The Brothers Karamazov, Why People Believe Weird Things and occult books in this GDrive from a subreddit.

On another note, I'm currently deliberating whether I should buy a physical copy of the books or not. It will be practical and it will save a lot of space if I don't buy the physical book, but at the same time it would be nice to have a book collection again. Moved a few years ago, and some of the books in my previous house were thrown/sold away already. I know I'll be ending up with e-books due to lessen clutter in the house but I'm trying to avoid that because I suddenly got an urge to buy beautiful material things lately, and I figured a well-maintained library is a pleasant thing to look at.
    The Four Agreements is one of my favorite books. I found a copy at the flea market (before covid killed it) for a dollar. Funny enough is that it was the exact book I was hoping to find. I learned of it when I was cashiering overnights and a coworker from another department came to my checkout and he was holding a book with the cover with the plants. Normally, I wouldn't bother asking but something compelled me to ask him what the book was. He mentioned it was something about how words are magic and this and that. He didn't give me the title but I remembered how the cover looked and when I found it, I flipped through the pages and noticed the content basically matched what my coworker said of the book.

Anyway, the books I am working on are as follows:

The Law of One

A Course in Miralces (ACIM)

Both are allegedly channeled works covering metaphysics, spirituality, and various other topics. Highly recommended.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1550 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

J G Ballard - IEE

Serious Left-Static Negativist Eliza Thomason's Avatar
    TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default N.C. Wyeth

A biography:

I love his work, as you can see by all the pictures I posted of his in the picture thread. I also posted a bio there, from short online bios, and it raised questions. So the book came, and its been hard to put down. I did start near the back, skimming for answers to questions. Now I am reading carefully, more than half way through, to learn about his ancestors, family of origin, how he became an illustrator, his own family life and the intense relationship with his mother. And I type without trying while I read.

I got to know more and more, of all new things on N.C. Wyeth, no typing occurred to me. The first typing realization was Howard Pyle. - he is EIE. Pyle is his mentor and tutor in a small, tightly-disciplined, exclusive class for illustrators that Pyle led, which was instrumental in Wyeth's formation. It was an hyper-idealization/devaluation thing with for Wyeth, with Pyle. [partly due I think to the fact that IEE can "try on" anything, and accept and absorb all a teacher says, but then later reflects, and forms an opinion that may be different from that first impression he had accepted]. The character in Treasure Island, Long John Silver, which Wyeth paints as Pyle because of the correlation, also would be EIE, as he also paints Tom Breck in Kidnapped as Pyle. When reading I remembered what Adam Strange said here about EIE and cults, and Pyle's relations with his select group of students (including N.C.Wyeth) brought that description to mind very strongly. Adam said IEE is like “Dissolve your own ego, give yourself up to my greater cause and follow me. Become me.”. Yes. Pyle was criticized for making his students into copies of himself, which also Wyeth later rebelled against.

Also, in Wyeth's devaluation stage of Pyle, it seems to me he is angry at Pyle over fake, contrived drama things Pyle did, and Wyeth liked things real, genuine, natural, and that is a Delta thing, and that is how I am. Wyeth could react quite strongly with outrage like I can at injustice. Also, he resists modern technology's invasion on a more natural, pastoral life, and I do too - people laugh at my cell phone, but I resist, I resist. (Wyeth resisted the automobile). He did not say yes to any of the three offers to illustrate WWII on the front, and he turned down the last, and the best-offer/request for this, after an entire night outdoors thinking it over (I also wrestle with decisions and knowing my own mind on a thing) and he turned it down, realizing he did not want to leave his family - a decision based on what was best for him and his family, but lacking in patriotism, which put a mark on his reputation after that. He didn't take much Fe into account in this decision. He endeavors overly idealistically in his life, with strong ideas about right and wrong, endeavoring to do the right thing. He did this admirably, being not only a great artist but an admirably devoted family man; his kids truly felt loved and supported. But in the end, he made a very wrong choice, which he maintained for awhile deluding himself, but I think he may have realized the extent of his delusion, and selfishness, but was unable to accept the reality, and this may have led to his premature and sudden demise. Too bad because Catholic faith would have helped him much with this trial.

His wife Carol was clearly SEI. I am going to look into his son, renowned artist Andrew Wyeth, more, but my first guess is he may be ILI. I cold be wrong on that though. I also think his brother Stinson might be ILI. Also not totally sure on that.

But N.C. Wyeth, I am surprised to conclude, is IEE. I guess it should be no surprise since I like his work so much. But so very much supports that typing that I can say I am sure of it now. It is a nice surprise for me, because I did not expect that.

__________________________________________________ ____
    Editing to add:

Another interest of mine is German New Medicine, and the origins of cancer (and disease). What would the origins/cause of two of the notable cancer deaths in the book be?

Howard Pyle's was one. He was so very famous and highly celebrated in his time as a premier illustrator of the Golden Age of Illustration, but after so very many years in this lofty identity and highly acclaimed place in society, he fell rather rapidly and thoroughly from that high place - due to some business misjudgments among many other things - and this most famous American illustrator took to living in Italy with his wife ("to study the great artists"], where he not so long after died of kidney cancer. So, the root cause or "biological conflict" for kidney cancer (from here) is “feeling like a fish out of water” when we are unexpectedly "swept out" of our familiar surroundings or when we lose our “pack”. ...[It is an] abandonment conflict, existence conflict, or refugee conflict. That sure fits with what had to be the main conflict in Pyle's life, for sure.

Wyeth's mother Hattie kept a shocking lifelong secret (that she had another brother - and, that she played a major role as a child in the drowning death of this infant brother) - died at 67 of bladder cancer - after some months of being watched in a sanitarium because she kept saying - [inexplicable because this likely had to do with her big secret] - she was "bad, very bad". Well the biological conflict cause of bladder cancer is an ugly, “dirty” morsel conflict (dirty business, dirty tricks, etc.)" Yes, what her son later told his family was that her lifelong secret was indeed a hidden dirty morsel she was unable to get rid of.
    Last edited by Eliza Thomason; 04-15-2021 at 02:43 AM.
    "A man with a definite belief always appears bizarre, because he does not change with the world; he has climbed into a fixed star, and the earth whizzes below him like a zoetrope."
    ........ G. ........... K. ............... C ........ H ........ E ...... S ........ T ...... E ........ R ........ T ........ O ........ N ........

"Having a clear faith, based on the creed of the Church, is often labeled today as fundamentalism... Whereas relativism, which is letting oneself be tossed and swept along
    by every wind of teaching, looks like the only
    attitude acceptable to today's standards."
    - Pope Benedict the XVI, "The Dictatorship of Relativism"

Serious Left-Static Negativist Eliza Thomason's Avatar
    TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Mark Twain: Joan of Arc

Mark Twain, an IEE. I absolutely LOVED his Joan of Arc. Mark Twain absolutely loved Joan, too - He considered this book to be the pinnacle of his literary works. (excerpt from that article, here):

A young boy approached Mark Twain one day, after spotting the famous author standing alone on a stone bridge in Redding, Conn. Twain was a familiar presence in the community, and the boy had awaited such a chance to express his admiration. “I was glad that he was alone,” Coley Taylor recalled years later in an article in American Heritage. “I had wanted to tell him how much I had enjoyed Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn.”

But Twain’s response to the young boy’s praise was shocking. “I had never seen him so cross. I can see him yet, shaking that long forefinger at me,” Taylor recalled. “You shouldn’t read those books about bad boys!” the author scolded. “Now listen to what an old man tells you. My best book is my Recollections of Joan of Arc. You are too young to understand and enjoy it now, but read it when you are older. Remember then what I tell you now. Joan of Arc is my very best book.

[Mark Twain was very much like IEE N.C. Wyeth in this way, minimizing his own (renowned) work].

My experience reading this book was very much as described in an Amazon top review:

"When I first picked up Twain’s Personal Recollections of Joan of Arc, I was somewhat daunted by its length; by the time I finished it, however, I wished that it were longer. In fact, I read slowly, taking care not to skip over phrases as I often do, so that I could savor it for as long as possible. This story is simply that lovely. Or, better said, the story itself is not lovely, recounting as it does the engineered fall of a young woman, but the writing, and the characters are so lush and lively and pathos-inspiring, that I wished I might keep reading about them."

Many artists were inspired by Joan of Arc, including Howard Pyle, mentioned above. Pyle's illustrates Joan was as a gentle girl (vs. the tough, manly girl you would expect and how movies have depicted her), which is the accurate depiction from Twain's book. Twain's book is accurate because he devoted 12 years to the book, as, because of multiple trial testimonies, we know this is how Joan was described in her day. God does use the unlikely ones (like choosing Moses to speak for him, who described himself as "slow of speech and tongue.") Joan was described as gentle, feminine and retiring. A friend of the fairies as a child, and she like to sew at home as a teen. So not what you would expect for what she did! She, a simple peasant, is considered the most well-documented person of her time, on account of the trials she endured, starting from a young age, before she went off to war. So Twain had mountains of documentation to work with.

Howard Pyle paintings of Joan of Arc:

Franck Schoonover paintings (he also studied in the elite group with with N.C. Wyeth under Howard Pyle):
    (2nd one is "Gooseberry Spring" from Twain's Joan of Arc - his description of Joan's childhood and what she said of fairies is delightful:

Paintings from other artists::

Riley and Bunny together forever HicksHawking RedVsGold's Avatar
    Macroverse MtBattle ScholarsGarden Halloween1993 SuperNexus InfinitiesUltimate AllSpectraEverywhere
    TIM
    RayquazaRaichuArceus
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ethics by Baruch Spinoza is My favorite book.

I also rated and critiqued all of SolitaryWalker's articles from Typology Central. I outlined them on My below website that's in My signature (it's like My own free online book):

EagleFangKarate (webstarts.com)
    Raptor was Lugia through Erling Haaland Riley Halloween in 2023 vs Inter Milan, showing journals of impossible dialogues and colosseums of grand altitudes shocking pinch torrent gel and flash arcing clockwork folly and ageless triumph holding fuses of collections. Raptor defeated Sauron in 2006 by stopping Zidane Zapdos Zarathustra Tesla, ideas of oasis healing gifting sacred gems and envelopes of highlight stealth picturing raiment of claymores and seawater caliber psychic birds
    https://www.the16types.info/vbulleti...k-2024-edition

TIM
    ESE wannabe
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven’t read a book in a while, but I saw this in a news article and now I want to read it

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...ping-beauties#

Suzanne O'Sullivan's THE SLEEPING BEAUTIES, an exploration of different aspects of psychosomatic disorders, mass hysteria, culture bound syndromes (a set of symptoms that exist only within a particular society), using as its starting point a particular case of more than 400 migrant children in Sweden who have fallen into a "waking coma", to Dan Frank at Pantheon, in a pre-empt

im kind of excited about it lol
    ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

'Does God Exist?' - Hans Kung. This is a book which promotes the existence of God. However, it does not present biased, uncritical arguments for the acceptance of God, and one could easily draw the opposite conclusion. I like the book because the arguments are really clear, objective and well thought out.

'Physics and Beyond' - Werner Heisenberg. This is a set of conversations between Werner Heisenberg and a number of physicists about several key philosophical ideas. Of course, a big part of the book is the philosophical implications of quantum mechanics. But the book touches on everything, from what the major scientists think about 'God' (many were atheists, some were not) to the nature of science. It really reveals a lot about the personalities and the psychology of the pioneers of quantum mechanics. (Yes, there are a few - but not many - conversations with Einstein.) A good read...

and

'The First Three Minutes' - Steven Weinberg. Another good one. Chronicles the first three minutes of the big bang.

context is king
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

James Hogg: The Private Memoirs and Confessions of a Justified Sinner. Great depiction of religious psychopath. The dialogue is intense and Calvinist to the point of being exhausting. It has kind of American Psycho vibes with disturbing internal monologues. The dialogue in Scots is fucking annoying but you can get through it with a little patience. Great work of Scottish Christian moral philosophy.

More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pr...stified_Sinner

Also I've been slowly reading Wittgenstein's Philosophical Investigations in preparation for a intellectual personal project. I should speed it up and stop getting distracted with second hand finds.
    ἀταραξία

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    524 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Coeruleum Blue View Post
    Is anyone else pre-ordering Perhaps the Stars by Ada Palmer?
    I don't know if you're still around, but I picked up Too Much Like Lightning and have been enjoying it. Thanks for the recommendation!

TIM
    4w3 so/sx
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

41Ov9na3chL._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
    Going back to my Christian roots with lowkey a bang.
    Formerly known as littleblackcloud!

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"The Strange Death of Europe" (2018)

A very critical view on immigration and the strange time we live in. Maybe a little repetitive, but good arguments.

"Memories of Porkala" (1945)

Written just after WWII when Finland had lost the war and was forced to give away an area on the south coast as a marine base for the Soviet army. 10.000 people, possessions, harvest and animals were evacuated in 10 days. This is a farewell to the area, it's nature, history, people, life. Written by different people, some of them relatives of mine. Very personal and extremely sad.

(Jung on Si)

context is king
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leckysupport View Post

Also I've been slowly reading Wittgenstein's Philosophical Investigations in preparation for a intellectual personal project. I should speed it up and stop getting distracted with second hand finds.
    Won a £50 amazon voucher at work so it looks like I'm distracted again.

I just bought two books by Jon Elster.

Alchemies of the Mind
    Ulysses Unbound

Both about rationality, common sense and emotion. So far Ulysses Unbound is telling me what I already know about these 3 subjects.

I also got a cute little something from Hans-Georg Gadamer about Medicine and Philosophy. The Enigma of Health: The Art of Healing in a Scientific Age
    ἀταραξία