Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: Official Book Thread

cunnilingus epilepsy inducer
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leckysupport View Post

Also I've been slowly reading Wittgenstein's Philosophical Investigations in preparation for a intellectual personal project. I should speed it up and stop getting distracted with second hand finds.
    Won a £50 amazon voucher at work so it looks like I'm distracted again.

I just bought two books by Jon Elster.

Alchemies of the Mind
    Ulysses Unbound

Both about rationality, common sense and emotion. So far Ulysses Unbound is telling me what I already know about these 3 subjects.

I also got a cute little something from Hans-Georg Gadamer about Medicine and Philosophy. The Enigma of Health: The Art of Healing in a Scientific Age
    ἀταραξία

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Psychology of Personality: Readings in Theory.

https://archive.org/details/psychologyofpers00saha

- Good advanced text on the nature of personality. Even contains a section on Jungian psychological types.

Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My first Turkish science fiction.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Magister Ludi is always a good bet.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    236 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just finished Household Gods by Judith Tarr and Harry Turtledove, about an attorney and recently divorced single mother who gets sent back in time to a town in what’s now southern Austria during the reign of Marcus Aurelius. I’d never read either of them before, and I usually don’t like historical fiction, so I was surprised at how well-written this was – up until the ending.

She goes through some terrible things throughout the book — her lover and daughter die; she gets raped; she watches another woman get raped; she sees soldiers being killed; she comes close to starvation. This is all very traumatic to her, and the way this changes her view of the world is written convincingly and with an obvious amount of care put into conveying it. But then she returns suddenly to her modern life and all this characterization is immediately lost. It’s very jarring; almost like “Haha, I’ve sure learned my lesson about thinking the Romans lived better than us! How lucky I am to be living in a time where Germans don’t sack my city and rape my neighbors and kill their husbands as I watch helplessly! Man, how wild was that!

As I said, the rest of the book was fantastic. Whichever of the two didn’t write the ending I want to read more of, because they’re very talented. And whoever did write the ending ought to be ashamed of themself.
    Last edited by FreelancePoliceman; 07-22-2021 at 04:08 AM.
    φιλοκαλοῦμέν τε γὰρ μετ᾽ εὐτελείας καὶ φιλοσοφοῦμεν ἄνευ μαλακίας.

It’s hard to translate this literally and poetically into English, but this is my attempt at a translation: “For we love beauty, that we attain good ends thereby, and we love wisdom, though not in a way that makes us soft, nor that causes us to value weakness.”

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FreelancePoliceman View Post
    I just finished Household Gods by Judith Tarr and Harry Turtledove, about an attorney and recently divorced single mother who gets sent back in time to a town in what’s now southern Austria during the reign of Marcus Aurelius. I’d never read either of them before, but this was really well-written— up until the ending.

She goes through some terrible things throughout the book — her lover and daughter die; she gets raped; she watches another woman get raped; she sees soldiers being killed; she comes close to starvation. This is all very traumatic to her, and the way this changes her view of the world is written convincingly and with an obvious amount of care put into conveying it. But then she returns suddenly to her modern life and all this characterization is immediately lost. It’s very jarring; almost like “Haha, I’ve sure learned my lesson about thinking the Romans lived better than us! How lucky I am to be living in a time where Germans don’t sack my city and rape my neighbors and kill their husbands as I watch helplessly! Man, how wild was that!

As I said, the rest of the book was fantastic. Whichever of the two didn’t write the ending I want to read more of, because they’re very talented. And whoever did write the ending ought to be ashamed of themself.

I think there is a tendency for science fiction authors to get lazy sometimes. I mean, the author is already cruising the galaxy and passing through the past and future, what more do the readers want?

For an early take on this problem, read Alfred Bester's 5,271,009.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112