Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa View Post
    I met an LSE who reads sci-fi today =.-
    something wrong with sci-fi?
    Quote Originally Posted by 1981slater View Post
    Axis of Evil: Iran, Iraq, North Korea and Agarina
    Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa Darmandzhyan
    Agarina does not like human beings; she just wants a pretty boy toy.
    Johari Nohari

TIM
    Ne-EII 5w4 sp/so
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Books I've read so far in the past 5 months that I would recommend to others:

- Babel No More: The Search for the World's Most Extraordinary Language Learners by Michael Erard
    - The Enneagram by Helen Palmer
    - The Charisma Myth by Olivia Fox Cabane
    - Love as a Way of Life by Gary Chapman
    - The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business by Charles Duhigg
    - The Willpower Instinct by Kelly McGonigal, Ph.D.

TIM
    ILI 5w6
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Emotional Alchemy - How the Mind Can Heal the Heart by Tara Bennett-Goleman

TIM
    No. E9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The Duchess of Malfi - John Webster

Hadn't read any plays from this period before (apart from the obligatory Shakespearean stuff). Really dark and visceral - felt almost gothic. Sex, murder, incest, revenge, lycanthropy and more murder. Unff, as they say.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

finally finished the metamorphosis omGGGG. it was boring. i didn't get it. pointless. maybe it would have been more impactful if i hadn't stretched it out two pages at a time over a period of months. handmaid's tale next. it's engaging so far.

Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by squirreltual View Post
    The Duchess of Malfi - John Webster

Hadn't read any plays from this period before (apart from the obligatory Shakespearean stuff). Really dark and visceral - felt almost gothic. Sex, murder, incest, revenge, lycanthropy and more murder. Unff, as they say.
    I'll have to check that out. Right now I'm on a Shakespeare binge, making my way through all of his works, but I've made a slight detour into John Ford's 'Tis Pity She's a Whore (1630ish). It's pretty wild stuff, also featuring murder, sex and incest. Something must have been going around in the water at the time, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by lungs View Post
    finally finished the metamorphosis omGGGG. it was boring. i didn't get it. pointless. maybe it would have been more impactful if i hadn't stretched it out two pages at a time over a period of months. handmaid's tale next. it's engaging so far.
    Yeah, I think it's one of Kafka's more boring books. It's like a one-joke song that just never goes anywhere beyond the initial conceit. It's about isolation and alienation (of artists? of depressives? or diasporic communities? of modern man? something like that) like a lot of his works, but it doesn't have the pervasive and sometimes funny bizarreness that fills his other books. Amerika was his most memorable for me. It's about a young man who is banished by his family to America for sexual indiscretion.
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jadae16t View Post
    some book
    Have you read the book I snitch like a pro?

context is king
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Inner Citadel: The Meditations of Marcus Aurelius ~ Pierre Hadot (again)

I have my eye on The Possessed by Dostoyevsky and Man's Search for Meaning by Frankl
    ἀταραξία

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

finished the handmaids tale by margaret atwood.
    i liked it quite a bit. my only complaint is that i didn't really buy the plot as "realistic" enough to be actually scary, maybe because i'm not in an area where i'm surrounded by many christian fundamentalists but i think mostly because of the speed in which the events happened in the book - like overnight, kaboom, dystopia. but i was still really invested in what happened with the protaganist, and the prose was lovely, and overall the book kept me engaged. it wasn't exactly what i was expecting - more enthralling fiction, less thought-provoking feminist statement - but i liked it. maybe even better than i would have otherwise.

now i've just started sartre's existentialism and human emotions which so far kind of reads like a wordy advertising pamphlet for existentialism but its kinda fleshing out some of the basics of the the philosophy to me that i haven't been familiar with.
    Last edited by ashlesha; 11-13-2013 at 08:58 PM.

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

@lungs, I taught the film a few weeks ago, just in case you are interested in checking it out:

I just finished reading Moth Smoke again (Mohsin Hamid).
    “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.”
    ― Anais Nin

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

i saw that it was made into a movie when i googled it and i was kind of disenheartened and just kind of assumed it would be trashy, lol...like i can just see it going bad with hollywood getting its hands on the whole "group sex" thing. but since you mentioned it and even teach it, i think i'll check it out.

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

i saw that it was made into a movie when i googled it and i was kind of disenheartened and just kind of assumed it would be trashy, lol...like i can just see it going bad with hollywood getting its hands on the whole "group sex" thing. but since you mentioned it and even teach it, i think i'll check it out.
    It's not a bad adaptation imho. We read an article that argues that as a viewer (as opposed to a reader), you become part of the surveillance system of Gilead and therefore exploit the handmaid's through the cinematic gaze. So beware!
    “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.”
    ― Anais Nin

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

I'm reading a few books on life coaching now.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Corwin is the badass in the middle <3

I conquer your world and then make my OWN.

The mind is restless and difficult to restrain, but it is subdued by practice

-Krishna

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Recently reread.

Slaughterhouse-Five
    By Kurt Vonnegut

Summary

On the night of his daughter's wedding, Billy is kidnapped by Tralfamadorians. Prior to this event, he notes several things that remind him of his World War II experiences: the orange-and-black canopy in his backyard under which Barbara is married; his blue-and-ivory feet; and an old war movie that he watches forwards and backwards. Communicating telepathically, Billy and his captors discuss the significance of his being chosen by the Tralfamadorians: Quite simply, there is none. After the aliens prepare him for interstellar flight, the tremendous acceleration of the saucer sends him back to World War Il.

Still in the boxcar, he travels across Germany. The train stops at various prison camps to drop off POWs. On the ninth day of traveling, Roland Weary dies. He has been raving for some time, speaking of the Three Musketeers and leaving messages for his family back home. He yearns to be avenged, and again and again in his delirium, Weary divulges the name of the person who killed him: Billy Pilgrim.

On the tenth night, the train arrives at a prison camp, and guards force the prisoners out of the boxcars. Issued overcoats, they shuffle through gate after gate until they arrive at a delousing station and are ordered to take off their clothes and be deloused. The narrator describes two of the prisoners: Edgar Derby, a former high school teacher in Indianapolis, and Paul Lazzaro, who was in the same boxcar with Weary and promised him that he would make Billy pay for Weary's death.

Billy comes unstuck in time again. He is an infant, then a middle-aged man playing golf, and then he is onboard a flying saucer headed for the planet Tralfamadore. A loudspeaker on the spacecraft explains that Tralfamadorians understand time differently than do humans. A Tralfamadorian sees all time as an Earthling might see a stretch of mountains. Time is simply time. It does not change, nor does it lend itself to explanation: It simply is. When Billy suggests that Tralfamadorians do not appear to believe in free will, he is told that free will is an Earthling's notion; out of more than one hundred inhabited planets, only Earth's inhabitants talk about free will.
    Last edited by Aylen; 01-27-2014 at 10:56 PM.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

context is king
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

THE COLLECTED WORKS OF PLATO (over one year in small parts)
    ἀταραξία

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Last ones :
    The Story of A Marriage - Andrew Sean Greer http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/11/bo...rf-t.html?_r=0
    Summer Crossing - Truman Capote http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summer_Crossing

Now mid-reading James Baldwin , Giovanni's Room

Haikus
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Recently finished Kafka on the Shore by Murakami, which I loved.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AshSun View Post
    Now mid-reading James Baldwin , Giovanni's Room

Creepy-bg

The Stand, again.

TIM
    / / /
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am currently reading Lanark.

Apparently it was critically acclaimed but it reads a bit like the late night sexually frustrated ramblings of a depressed ILE who is bad at editing down his thoughts and blames all of his women troubles on the women.

Last book I read that I really liked was Alice Munro's "Dear Life."

Last book I read that really disturbed me was Tao Lin's "Taipei."

Last poetry book I read that made me wish that the poet was a happier person by now (after all those years of self-medicating through writing poetry!) was Frank Bidart's "Metaphysical Dog."

TIM
    / / /
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

um, right now i'm reading james patterson along came a spider because i read a different one of his alex cross books awhile back and i liked it a lot. but either i was in a weird frame of mind or his writing improved a lot after this one because i'm not really impressed. the killer was already caught awhile ago and the book still keeps going and the cheesy ebony & ivory romance plotline makes me want to barf.

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

James Baldwin , Giovanni's Room
    It was a real surprise. He´s not one of the "textbook top" African American writers, for no good reason imo, he is very talented. At least this book ... breathtaking.

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Have just finished The Reader by Bernard Schlink. Watched the movie as well - not so good , unless you wanna see Ralph Fiennes in one performance more.
    I´d type Hanna Schmitz LSI and Michael as ILI.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

i just finished the hunger games this morning on the bus. it was a fast, engaging read. not a masterpiece but still worth reading. the main thing i didn't like was that katniss always makes the right decisions. she gets stuck in these morally ambiguous situations but she works with them the best she can and never gets pulled into self-preservational corruption. its unrealistic, especially considering she's in an urgent, life-or-death situation. also theres the moral irony of enjoying a book where children slaughter eachother while being disgusted by the antagonists partly because they get off on watching children slaughter eachother. but i'm complaining too much. i still plan on buying the 2nd book when i go to the store over lunch today.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Lungs' book club. Like Oprah's book club, only better.

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

So Nassim Taleb, The Bed of Procrustes.
    Diluted , amateur. I liked the idea of striving to eliminate preconceived notions into which people can "squeeze" what is actually there or new or unknown to them, but not much other than that. It can all be reduced to this basically : "we humans, facing limits of knowledge, and things we do not observe, the unseen and the unknown, resolve the tension by squeezing life and the world into crisp commoditized ideas, reductive categories, specific vocabularies, and prepackaged narratives, which, on the occasion, has explosive consequences." I don´t want to misjudge him, so I´ll go on with Antifragile.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Book "Face yourself"

This book is for those seeking that which is absent in their lives and for those looking for true happiness, inner peace and love.

There are no hidden secrets, rituals or rites – the key is and always has been in our hands.

Those who are genuinely seeking to comprehend the true meaning of life and acquire an understanding of the reason behind their individual circumstances will find plain and simple answers from the distilled essence of knowledge passed on to us by Saints and Holy Men spanning some 2,000 years.

Writer: Igor Bondar.

mobi: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-Q...it?usp=sharing
    fb2: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-Q...it?usp=sharing
    epub: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-Q...it?usp=sharing
    doc: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-Q...it?usp=sharing

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

so ive been reading a lot of conspiracy-ish things lately. first trance formation of america which is written buy a woman who claims to be a former mind-controlled cia sex slave. lots of horrible but juicy stories about politicians and famous people, like dick cheney's huge schlong and robert byrd's extreme sadism. ultimately not very believable and i never finished it because it was basically one story of brutality after another repeatedly to the point where it actually became tedious.

then i started the men who stare at goats, about secret military operations (like people staring at goats trying to make their hearts explode), and it seemed promising but it was given to me by my boyfriend who had torn out pages for his art projects so i'll have to finish it some other time when i have a decent copy. it was sort of funny. i haven't seen the movie.

now i'm reading the secret history of the world as laid down by the secret societies and i absolutely LOVE it so far. its hard for me to find a book these days that i regret having to put down but this is one of those. the author talks about schools intended for initiates of secret societies like the freemasons and the illuminati and how they all learn a history of the world that is different from the mainstream version. he claims that he was almost initiated himself but chose not to join because he would have had to swear an oath of secrecy and wouldn't be able to write the book. which is obviously pretty hard to believe and i can't take all of his claims TOO seriously, but the truly fascinating thing about the book is that he ties together common threads from various myths and religions, as well as from science, and threads them all together into a single coherent narrative. telling a story that can be "true" in all cultures throughout the world. its highly speculative (in an ancient aliens sort of way?) but whatever, its interesting as hell. so far i'm not far past genesis in the bible/the battle between jupiter and the titans/etc. and its a long book with a ways to go. based on what i've read so far i highly recommend it to @Hitta because it seems up his alley and incorporates a lot of planetary and astrological shit...how its referenced in the bible and stuff like that.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

hmm dang this review really slays it http://www.salon.com/2008/01/28/secret_societies/

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

@leckysupport @Animal @Solaris what are you reading?

just finished kafka on the shore by haruki murakami. i dont think it will linger with me but it was solid and had some really good spots. it reminded me of dreams.

now reading annie liebovitz at work.

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

recently finished Heidegger's Elucidations of Holderlin's poetry, which I definitely recommend for anyone not averse to his style, now onto Kierkegaard's The Sickness Unto Death. probably going to read The Brothers Karamazov next.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The House of the Spirits.

SO.so.so.good.
    Everything interests me but nothing holds me.

Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Several going on at the moment:
    • AIDS and Accusation: Haiti and the Geography of Blame by Dr. Paul Farmer -- I actually had to read this book for a course in epidemiology and liked it so much that I decided to read it again. I love medical anthropology because you get a palpable sense of epidemiological issues from the ground-up and get some really intimate stories from the people directly affected that you don't really get from white papers. Farmer writes beautifully and he is someone who has actually contributed an immeasurable amount to global health worldwide, it's mind-boggling. I'm going to read his Haiti After the Earthquake next.
    • Ragtime by E.L. Doctorow -- highly influential novel that is a really interesting melding of history and fiction about New York City at the turn of the 20th century; Doctorow has a wry style that makes for somewhat dry, but entertaining reading. I love this period of history.
    • Relational Frame Theory:A Post-Skinnerian Account of Human Language and Cognition by Steven C. Hayes, et al. -- I've been really fascinated by Hayes's work for the last few years, and it's had a huge impact on the way I view the world and anxiety/depression. It's a bit dense, lots of behaviorist jargon, but once you get the basics, it's easy to pick up the gist of what is meant.
    • On Human Finery by Quentin Bell -- I've been on a fashion kick lately and picked this up after reading Bonnie English's (excellent) A Cultural History of Fashion in the 20th and 21st Centuries; Bell was Virginia Woolf's nephew, and he approaches fashion with an anthropological eye -- as the most visible, though often most opaque, manifestation of cultural semiotics. Beautifully-written, and very insightful if you want to understand the cultural undercurrents of fashion, although it's limited by the time it was written (1947), and really pre-dates what we would consider globalized prêt-à-porter fashion that English's book covers so well. Also good (but not really as edifying as English's) is Christopher Breward's Fashion in the Oxford History of Art series. Breward's book as many more, and better illustrations, though.
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

Honorary Ballsack
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Last edited by Skepsis; 09-05-2015 at 03:49 AM.
    Important to note! People who share "indentical" socionics TIMs won't necessarily appear to be very similar, since they have have different backgrounds, experiences, capabilities, genetics, as well as different types in other typological systems (enneagram, instinctual variants, etc.) all of which also have a sway on compatibility and identification. Thus, Socionics type "identicals" won't necessarily be identical i.e. highly similar to each other, and not all people of "dual" types will seem interesting, attractive and appealing to each other.

Creepy-bg

about to finish the final book of the Amber series by Roger Zelazny, started power reading the series through a week or so ago. (it's my 2nd time reading it)

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bg View Post
    about to finish the final book of the Amber series by Roger Zelazny, started power reading the series through a week or so ago. (it's my 2nd time reading it)
    I loved that series, but in a recent decluttering effort I got rid of my set.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Creepy-bg

Quote Originally Posted by anndelise View Post
    I loved that series, but in a recent decluttering effort I got rid of my set.
    if you don't mind ebooks, here's the whole thing in multiple formats... (the second series has quite a few scanning errors, but nothing that can't be read around pretty easily (I actually had fun with this trying to figure out some of the messed up words )

https://app.box.com/s/y7arhfb7ijzgig9lskcr

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bg View Post
    if you don't mind ebooks, here's the whole thing in multiple formats... (the second series has quite a few scanning errors, but nothing that can't be read around pretty easily (I actually had fun with this trying to figure out some of the messed up words )

https://app.box.com/s/y7arhfb7ijzgig9lskcr
    Awesome, ty. I will download when i access my laptop this week. I like ebooks.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast