Thread: Does brain damage or head injuries alter personality?

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Default Does brain damage or head injuries alter personality?

I've been wondering if this is true after researching the effects and changes on the brain that damage can do. Is it possible that an ISFp could of been an ESTj if the injuries never occurred? I wonder if the changes are slight and only transform one scale. It can possibly transform the entire personality to a point where several parameters are different. If brain damage occurs, is it more likely for an INTp to change to an ISTp or INFp, or can the individual possibly mutate into an ESFj?
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have worked for a few months in brain injury rhabilitation unit as an assistant of different therapies and know the official position to your questions. The pshychology team at my place whould first - reject any idea of psychologiacal type existence, thinking that personality psychology is currently controversial to a degree of no use and psychtherapy is an exercise in mental masturbation (I remember that picture :wink: ). So they would say anything possible because the changes can be very dramatic.

I would say - changes can be very dramatic but nobody can take your type away: you born with it - you die with it, unless you become a mentally ill or ...Down syndrome, do they have any psycholgical type?

The personality qualities can become more profound, mainly because it is a time of being reborn for some of the patients. Most of the time cognitive functions are affected like memory or ability to see the whole picture or to read or find the words - language is very commonly affected. Generally the cognitive processes slow down but emotions are pretty much intact, although they are more stronger due to the experienced difficulties in congitive abilities. Those at more disadvantage are in greater need of help and dependency of other's mercy.

From the spiritual perspective - it is a huge change because people sometimes lose everything or a lot, become disable. Damage to health and in particular to the head - is the call to wake up and reconsider your value system. Nothing is without a reason, any physical deficiency serves it's purpose and has impact on cognitive processes. Whatever we suffer broadens up our understanding through painful experiences. If we would not suffer would we be able to feel and understand the other's pain?
    School of Associative socionics: http://socionics4you.com/

Creepy-pokeball

The most common complaint of close relations of those with irreversible mass head traumas is that they are "no longer the same person" and are "void of any personality at all." Other than that common expression, I do not know.

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

@Olga, Jadae: Very interesting, but I'd like to know about minor brain damage, not severe to the point where you can't function. Like how minor brain damage results in one talent being lost, but others being retain and becoming more dominant and stronger.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

Creepy-pokeball

Like how minor? For example, if one side of the language center is severed, the other side of the brain will gradually (with aid over time) compensate for the svered areas.

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jadae
    Like how minor? For example, if one side of the language center is severed, the other side of the brain will gradually (with aid over time) compensate for the svered areas.
    Exactly, you somewhat got the idea and the affects on talent as well. I am curious to know how it impacts our personality if at all.

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

Creepy-pokeball

What I studied didnt really conclude anything about persona.

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it would be a good idea for you to conduct a litlle investigaton into this topic, there is a research done on it.

If you do not suffere any cognitive consequences taht you may have had a trauma or a nusty memory of it.
    I have observed loss of confidence and anxiaty to public places.
    Generally if you are healthy - you believe in yourself and do not need the God or the others. One day everything changes dramatically.

As regrads to talents and gifts - I herad about it - some people become more spiritual. Generally talking, if you can not function or your functioning is not sufficient - you start to appreciate things in life that other confiedent, successful and healthy people hardly notice. What kind of talents may develop?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When my INFj mother was 14 her school bus wrecked and it threw her out the back doors onto a pile of other children. She was knocked out and when she came to, her sense of smell was permanently gone but there were no other problems.
    From what I've gathered from her brothers and her mother, she's the same person now as she ever was, so I don't think her type changed.

As for compensation by other parts of the brain, she seems to have a very good sense of visual space, but overall that's it.
    All Hail The Flying Spaghetti Monster

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know someone who was in a car accident when she was 17 and had a bad injury to her forehead. Before the accident she was very cautious and studious, but after the injury she was impulsive and very careless.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nicky
    I know someone who was in a car accident when she was 17 and had a bad injury to her forehead. Before the accident she was very cautious and studious, but after the injury she was impulsive and very careless.
    I've heard that happens to people who have injuries in the front part of their brain...
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vague
    Rocky's posts are as enjoyable as having wisdom teeth removed.

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The left part of brain where the sefl-control or self-awareness is. The scientists think it is the most important part of the brain in terms of personality.

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually the left front part not the left part.

Not too sure...if u find me, let me know!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Googling 'Phineas Gage' seems like a good starting point.

I've posted this before, but it seems relevant http://cercor.oxfordjournals.org/cgi.../10/3/295#SEC4
    For this kind of thinking facts are of secondary importance; what, apparently, is of absolutely paramount importance is the development and presentation of the subjective idea, that primordial symbolical image standing more or less darkly before the inner vision.

Creepy-Diana

Creepy-pokeball

=*(

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, it 's probably important to point out that consciousness works to paper over the gaps and avoid certain things which would be confusing or disturbing. This is most apparent in individuals who've suffered specific brain injury, who are forced to produce explainations for their actions which are obviously false. This is called confabulation.

http://www.memorylossonline.com/glos...abulation.html

This isn't just applicable to people with brain injury though:

Freud once hypnotised one of his patients and told them that there was no other furniture in the room. He woke the up and asked them to go and open the door.

They got up, carefully avoided all the furniture and opened the door. When Freud asked them why the didn't walk straight to the door, they'd say things like: 'I was looking at a painting' or 'I saw someone I knew out of the window'.

However, they NEVER said: 'Because you hypnotised me'

It's because of examples like these (and there are many more) that I view consciousness as overrated. Your mind's equivalent of Agent Smith, discretely removing all the anomalies that rumble up from your subconscious.

This also means narrative self is also flawed and that declaritive statements should probably also be taken with a pinch of salt.

This obviously has implications for descriptions of functions, which are also just a set of declaritive statements, which probably explain more about the author than anyone else!!!
    For this kind of thinking facts are of secondary importance; what, apparently, is of absolutely paramount importance is the development and presentation of the subjective idea, that primordial symbolical image standing more or less darkly before the inner vision.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Diana
    http://www.wellspouse.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1427
    I put up my last post up before I read this. So I'm sorry if it appeared tactless

Frontal lobe injuries are unfortunately a very common consequence of road traffic accidents. However any form of brain injury can result in very distinct changes in behaviour which are distressing and would require a great deal of knowledge to understand =*(

Creepy-Diana