Regarding the OP, I had wanted to add last night that we also often set goals for ourselves that are the wrong goals. I'm too lazy right now to see if that diagnostic thing even covered that part. I consider it very important to how likely someone is to achieve or not this goal.

For example, if the stated goal is to give an inspiring presentation, but you ask the person why do they want to give an inspiring presentation...if they respond with 'to impress my bosses'...then the (more) real goal isn't to create/give an inspiring presentation...it's to impress the bosses. This divides their attention and efforts, which will likely show up during the creation and giving of the presentation.

Why does that girl want to lose 15 lbs? Because she wants a smaller waist. Why does she want a smaller waist? Because she wants to attract a certain guy's attention. And so on until we reach a point where we discover that she doesn't really care about losing 15 lbs, nor having a smaller waist...but that she believes she'll never feel loved by an exboyfriend from 10 years ago....or whatever.

Basically, often the thing we call a 'goal' is merely sidetracking us from our real desires. And that's quite likely to show up as we pursue this non-goal goal. Worse even, it can often get in the way of achieving what we actually desire.