Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

ISTj
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa Darmandzhyan View Post
    ISTj
    wtf no

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin Franklin
    Thirteen Virtues.

1. TEMPERANCE. Eat not to dullness; drink not to elevation.
    2. SILENCE. Speak not but what may benefit others or yourself; avoid trifling conversation.
    3. ORDER. Let all your things have their places; let each part of your business have its time.
    4. RESOLUTION. Resolve to perform what you ought; perform without fail what you resolve.
    5. FRUGALITY. Make no expense but to do good to others or yourself; i.e., waste nothing.
    6. INDUSTRY. Lose no time; be always employ'd in something useful; cut off all unnecessary actions.
    7. SINCERITY. Use no hurtful deceit; think innocently and justly, and, if you speak, speak accordingly.
    8. JUSTICE. Wrong none by doing injuries, or omitting the benefits that are your duty.
    9. MODERATION. - Avoid extreams; forbear resenting injuries so much as you think they deserve.
    10. CLEANLINESS. - Tolerate no uncleanliness in body, cloaths, or habitation.
    11.TRANQUILLITY - Be not disturbed at trifles, or at accidents common or unavoidable.
    12. CHASTITY. Rarely use venery but for health or offspring, never to dulness, weakness, or the injury of your own or another's peace or reputation.
    13. HUMILITY. Imitate Jesus and Socrates.

It may be well my posterity should be informed that to this little artifice,
    with the blessing of God, their ancestor ow'd the constant felicity of his life,
    down to his 79th year, in which this is written.
    What reverses may attend the remainder is in the hand of Providence;
    but, if they arrive, the reflection on past happiness enjoy'd ought to help his
    bearing them with more resignation.
    To Temperance he ascribes his long-continued health,
    and what is still left to him of a good constitution;
    to Industry and Frugality, the early easiness of his circumstances and acquisition of his fortune,
    with all that knowledge that enabled him to be a useful citizen,
    and obtained for him some degree of reputation among the learned;
    to Sincerity and Justice, the confidence of his country,
    and the honorable employs it conferred upon him;
    and to the joint influence of the whole mass of the virtues,
    even in the imperfect state he was able to acquire them,
    all that evenness of temper, and that cheerfulness in conversation, which makes his company still sought for, and agreeable even to his younger acquaintance.
    I hope, therefore, that some of my descendants may follow the example and reap the benefit.

In this piece it was my design to have endeavored to convince young persons that no qualities were so likely to make a poor man's fortune as those of probity and integrity.

My list of virtues contain'd at first but twelve; but a Quaker friend having kindly informed me that I was generally thought proud; that my pride show'd itself frequently in conversation; that I was not content with being in the right when discussing any point, but was overbearing, and rather insolent, of which he convinc'd me by mentioning several instances; I determined endeavouring to cure myself, if I could, of this vice or folly among the rest, and I added Humility to my list).

In reality, there is, perhaps, no one of our natural passions so hard to subdue as pride. Disguise it, struggle with it, beat it down, stifle it, mortify it as much as one pleases, it is still alive, and will every now and then peep out and show itself; you will see it, perhaps, often in this history; for, even if I could conceive that I had compleatly overcome it, I should probably be proud of my humility.
    [Thus far written at Passy, 1741]

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Oh shoot, I'm thinking of George Washington.

OL Ben may be ESFj
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    INFj sub (Fi+Ne)/2
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ESTj or ESFj ?
    "The final delusion is the belief that one has lost all delusion."

-- Maurice Chapelain

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I need a video.

lol
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, anna is that your motorcycle in your photo???
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
    Also, anna is that your motorcycle in your photo???
    No, but someday I will have a motorcycle and enjoy the freedom of that... until then I have this picture I pulled from a google search

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Anna1921 View Post
    No, but someday I will have a motorcycle and enjoy the freedom of that... until then I have this picture I pulled from a google search
    do it! Take the safety course first though. And you can get a very good, reliable used one for around 3K which is what I did a few years back.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

from the little that i've read about him (mainly this ), the first thing that sticks out is EXFx and maybe intuitive + rational. but i can't vouch for the latter as confidently.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ESE-Si IMO
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i remember him always being called an archetypal and hypertypical example of ENTp.

TIM
    x s x p s p s x
    Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin Franklin
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Franklin
    Thirteen Virtues.

2. SILENCE. Speak not but what may benefit others or yourself; avoid trifling conversation.
    3. ORDER. Let all your things have their places; let each part of your business have its time.
    4. RESOLUTION. Resolve to perform what you ought; perform without fail what you resolve.
    5. FRUGALITY. Make no expense but to do good to others or yourself; i.e., waste nothing.
    6. INDUSTRY. Lose no time; be always employ'd in something useful; cut off all unnecessary actions.
    7. SINCERITY. Use no hurtful deceit; think innocently and justly, and, if you speak, speak accordingly.
    8. JUSTICE. Wrong none by doing injuries, or omitting the benefits that are your duty.
    9. MODERATION. - Avoid extreams; forbear resenting injuries so much as you think they deserve.
    10. CLEANLINESS. - Tolerate no uncleanliness in body, cloaths, or habitation.
    11.TRANQUILLITY - Be not disturbed at trifles, or at accidents common or unavoidable.
    12. CHASTITY. Rarely use venery but for health or offspring, never to dulness, weakness, or the injury of your own or another's peace or reputation.
    13. HUMILITY. Imitate Jesus and Socrates.

It may be well my posterity should be informed that to this little artifice,
    with the blessing of God, their ancestor ow'd the constant felicity of his life,
    down to his 79th year, in which this is written.
    What reverses may attend the remainder is in the hand of Providence;
    but, if they arrive, the reflection on past happiness enjoy'd ought to help his
    bearing them with more resignation.
    To Temperance he ascribes his long-continued health,
    and what is still left to him of a good constitution;
    to Industry and Frugality, the early easiness of his circumstances and acquisition of his fortune,
    with all that knowledge that enabled him to be a useful citizen,
    and obtained for him some degree of reputation among the learned;
    to Sincerity and Justice, the confidence of his country,
    and the honorable employs it conferred upon him;
    and to the joint influence of the whole mass of the virtues,
    even in the imperfect state he was able to acquire them,
    all that evenness of temper, and that cheerfulness in conversation, which makes his company still sought for, and agreeable even to his younger acquaintance.
    I hope, therefore, that some of my descendants may follow the example and reap the benefit.

In this piece it was my design to have endeavored to convince young persons that no qualities were so likely to make a poor man's fortune as those of probity and integrity.

My list of virtues contain'd at first but twelve; but a Quaker friend having kindly informed me that I was generally thought proud; that my pride show'd itself frequently in conversation; that I was not content with being in the right when discussing any point, but was overbearing, and rather insolent, of which he convinc'd me by mentioning several instances; I determined endeavouring to cure myself, if I could, of this vice or folly among the rest, and I added Humility to my list).

In reality, there is, perhaps, no one of our natural passions so hard to subdue as pride. Disguise it, struggle with it, beat it down, stifle it, mortify it as much as one pleases, it is still alive, and will every now and then peep out and show itself; you will see it, perhaps, often in this history; for, even if I could conceive that I had compleatly overcome it, I should probably be proud of my humility.
    [Thus far written at Passy, 1741]
    AAAHAHAHAHAHAA

why do I find this hilarious, this is amazing haha fuckk
    p . . . a . . . n . . . d . . . o . . . r . . . a
    trad metalz | (more coming)

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

XSE I think.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    ILI Counterphobic 6
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Because in every Animal that walks upright, the Deficiency of the Fluids that fill the Muscles appears first in the highest Part: The Face first grows lank and wrinkled; then the Neck; then the Breast and Arms; the lower Parts continuing to the last as plump as ever: So that covering all above with a Basket, and regarding only what is below the Girdle, it is impossible of two Women to know an old from a young one. And as in the dark all Cats are grey, the Pleasure of corporal Enjoyment with an old Woman is at least equal, and frequently superior, every Knack being by Practice capable of Improvement."

my guess is that he has a novelty seeking function in his ego lmao

TIM
    EII Sx/Sp 9w1 (954)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LSE

Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Anna1921 View Post
    Thirteen Virtues.

etc...etc...
    if this listing proves anything, it is his Protestantism. Read Weber's The Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism.
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

Professional IEI Identifier on a peaceful hiatus's Avatar
    TIM
    LII-C
    Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ardent and Dutiful
    Charming, naturally sociable, and witty, Franklin drew people to him wherever he lived. He was dutiful and affectionate toward his family, but it was to close friends that he most often expressed his ardent devotion.

Arriving almost penniless in Philadelphia in 1723, Franklin worked to establish himself as a printer. In time, he founded his own newspaper, the Pennsylvania Gazette, and published Poor Richard’s Almanack. He communicated his ideas through these popular publications, while expanding his network of friends and business and political connections, both in the colonies and England.

In 1730, Franklin opened a printing office where he did “little Jobs” for customers, such as printing blank forms, broadsides, pamphlets, and books. He built a reputation, however, for his own newspaper and almanacs which, compared to his competition, were entertaining and sometimes provoking. These publications helped him draw business to his printing and bookshop.

His ambition was rewarded when Franklin was appointed Deputy Postmaster General for the colonies in 1753. He improved the postal system by introducing home delivery, printed forms, and customer credit. For the first time, the colonial postal system turned a profit.

With only two years of formal schooling, Franklin valued self-improvement and was determined to find ways that he could better himself. His public spirit, mixed with his practical organizational skills, produced a variety of civic improvements.

personality type: @Adam Strange

Time is Money, it's like Te + Ni in three words

Franklin was foundational in defining the American ethos as a marriage of the practical values of thrift, hard work, education, community spirit, self-governing institutions, and opposition to authoritarianism both political and religious, with the scientific and tolerant values of the Enlightenment.

pretty much against beta values, so LIE

Franklin has been called "the most accomplished American of his age and the most influential in inventing the type of society America would become. (Gamma)
    my ideas about socionics:

https://soziotypen.de/thoughts-on-socionics/

the section will be updated ever other month or so.

this is a VI thread with IEI examples

https://www.the16types.info/vbulleti...-(IEI-edition)

and this is a thread with EIE examples

https://www.the16types.info/vbulleti...s-EIE-examples

TIM
    ENFp-C
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Benjamin Franklin slept with every other woman he encountered and seemed to have no real emotional ties to any particular place, but he LOVED France (especially the prostitutes). His thirteen virtues are far from anything he actually practiced. Given the way I remember him being written about in Adams' autobiography, I would suggest ExFp as a likely typing (he distinctly struck me as Irrational when contrasted with Adams who seemed very much like a Rational type, but it was many years ago I read that book)
    “Things always seem fairer when we look back at them, and it is out of that inaccessible tower of the past that Longing leans and beckons.”
    — James Russell Lowell
    猫が生き甲斐

TIM
    SEIZOR
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like @AWellArmedCat said, Adams and Franklin worked together often and did not get along well. I do see the reasoning for saying Franklin was an irrational type, if he was I would say IEE. However, I read a biography on him a long time ago and there are some reasons I think he is LIE.

First was his opportunism. He was incredibly enterprising even during an early age. He didn't let his circumstances limit him. Where his father wanted him to apprentice his brother at his printing press. Without going through a summary of his bio, Franklin had a knack for being in the right place at the right time which is a knack for LIEs and their demo Ne. I think when you read his personal writing its clear that Franklin values Te/Fi and it's not just a display of puritan values which were common in America at the time.

I had thought he was LSE for a while but there are some Si-related things that point to LIE.

Here is a quote by G about LIE's Si:

LIE can live and work in conditions of discomfort with a lack of amenities. His nature usually endows him with endurance and health. He’s
    not particular about food and housing. He doesn’t care about his appearance, and has a tendency to wear the same clothes again and again,
    getting used to it. He dresses up only when his relationships with others depend on it. He appreciates those who relieve him of the need to take care
    of everyday life and trivialities. He does not like people who hide behind their weakness and disease. He behaves carelessly and sometimes
    frivolously when outdoors. He leans towards extremes in relation to bad habits: either he flaunts them, or he actively fights against them. The same
    extremes are found in his sexual life.
    Franklin talking about the vegetarian diet:

When about 16 years of age, I happen'd to meet with a book written by one Tryon, recommending a vegetable diet. I determined to go into it. My brother being yet unmarried, did not keep house, but boarded himself and his apprentices in another family. My refusing to eat flesh occasioned an inconveniency, and I was frequently chid for my singularity. I made myself acquainted with Tryon's manner of preparing some of his dishes, such as boiling potatoes or rice, making hasty pudding, and a few others, and then propos'd to my brother, that if he would give me weekly half the money he paid for by board, I would board myself. He instantly agreed to it, and I presently found that I could save half what he paid me. This was an additional fund for buying books: but I had another advantage in it. My brother and the rest going from the printinghouse to their meals, I remain'd there alone, and dispatching presently my light repast (which often was no more than a biscuit or a slice of bread, a handful of raisins or a tart from the pastry cook's, and a glass of water) had the rest of the time till their return for study, in which I made the greater progress from that greater clearness of head and quicker apprehension which usually attend temperance in eating and drinking.
    https://www.vrg.org/history/benjamin_franklin.htm

Franklin ate little and what little he ate was bland and flavorless. He used the money he saved to buy books.
    Bound upon me, rush upon me, I will overcome you by enduring your onset: whatever strikes against that which is firm and unconquerable merely injures itself by its own violence. Wherefore, seek some soft and yielding object to pierce with your darts.

-Seneca

TIM
    ENFp-C
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Toro View Post
    Like @AWellArmedCat said, Adams and Franklin worked together often and did not get along well.
    For some reason a specific instance I seem to remember was them fighting over whether to keep a window open or closed when they were bunking together one time lol
    Franklin was all like, "The fresh night air will invigorate us."
    Adam's was in his corner like, "Dude, it's freezing. Go for a walk if you need to be 'invigorated.'"

Was about to send this, then looked for the actual text and found it instantly lol

"The Window was open, and I, who was an invalid and afraid of the Air in the night . . . , shut it close. Oh! says Franklin dont shut the Window. We shall be suffocated. I answered I was afraid of the Evening Air. Dr. Franklin replied, the Air within this Chamber will soon be, and indeed is now worse than that without Doors: come! open the Window and come to bed, and I will convince you: I believe you are not acquainted with my Theory of Colds. Opening the Window and leaping into Bed, I said I had read his Letters to Dr. Cooper in which he had advanced, that Nobody ever got cold by going into a cold Church, or any other cold Air: but the Theory was so little consistent with my experience, that I thought it a Paradox: However I had so much curiosity to hear his reasons, that I would run the risque of a cold. The Doctor then began an harrangue, upon Air and cold and Respiration and Perspiration, with which I was so much amused that I soon fell asleep, and left him and his Philosophy together. (Diary of John Adams, September 9, 1776.)"

Guess I remembered it a bit differently, but I retained the overall vibe of the conversation
    “Things always seem fairer when we look back at them, and it is out of that inaccessible tower of the past that Longing leans and beckons.”
    — James Russell Lowell
    猫が生き甲斐

TIM
    ENFp-C
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It would seem that Franklin was in the habit of rambling about his personal theories (which Adams felt were entirely disconnected from reality) until the other person fell asleep lol

Sounds Ni to me too now that I think of it lol

~

It struck me that I should probably add the source of where I pulled the quote since it may be pretty useful in typing either of them.
    https://prologue.blogs.archives.gov/...anklin-part-i/
    This article also describes Franklin as being pretty long-term-oriented and "sly." @Alive @Toro you guys are winning me over with the LIE theory
    Last edited by AWellArmedCat; 03-16-2022 at 12:02 AM. Reason: added source
    — James Russell Lowell
    猫が生き甲斐

Handler of Choronzon
    TIM
    Te goblin
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Impressionistically, I always thought he came across as ENTx, but I would further assert that he was most likely ENTj.