Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have always been in love with Ernest Hemingway

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default I have always been in love with Ernest Hemingway

It's weird because our lifetimes didn't even overlap. He drank too much, he committed suicide, he had four wives and was kinda narcissistic. But I can't help myself. He's full of life, determination, passion. When I read his writing, (I'm reading a book of his letters right now) I can't help feeling crazily attracted to this man. Ugh, what does this even say about me, as a person.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

he's boring.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He drank too much, he committed suicide, he had four wives and was kinda narcissistic. He's full of life, determination, passion. He was the world's most interesting man.

"Information without energy is useless" Nowisthetime's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was Hemmingway IEI ?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lungs View Post
    he's boring.
    think again.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nowisthetime View Post
    Was Hemmingway IEI ?
    Not likely. I think Se-ESTp.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was Hemmingway IEI ?
    For sure not. I've read everything he's ever written (other than his letters, which I'm reading now, and his news articles which I will probably never read) and almost every biography that's been written on him. SLE-Se. 7w8
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Radio View Post
    ha. just saw this. yes, agreed.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

why did he get such a rise out of Ayn Rand? aren't they "supposed" to be identi-bro & identi-sis according to conventional wisdom on the forum.

"Information without energy is useless" Nowisthetime's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Radio View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
    For sure not. I've read everything he's ever written (other than his letters, which I'm reading now, and his news articles which I will probably never read) and almost every biography that's been written on him. SLE-Se. 7w8
    That's really interesting. Can it be true?? He seems so intuitive. I have to read some more of him and see what he feels like. Based on the very little I have read I thought Ni ego, but I don't really have an opinion. Hmm, SLE, SLE, SLE, I have to hammer this into my brain.

Perpetual Confusion Machine PistolShrimp's Avatar
    TIM
    IEI-Ni 4w5 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll forever associate Ernest Hemmingway with my extremely homophobic high school English teacher, who made us read Old Man and the Sea and periodically licked his thin chapped lips while talking about Hemmingway's work. Yeck.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PistolShrimp View Post
    I'll forever associate Ernest Hemmingway with my extremely homophobic high school English teacher, who made us read Old Man and the Sea and periodically licked his thin chapped lips while talking about Hemmingway's work. Yeck.
    lol!
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Hemingway seems to be a Sensory type; I wouldn't be surprised if he was SEE.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by labster View Post
    He drank too much, he committed suicide, he had four wives and was kinda narcissistic. He's full of life, determination, passion. He was the world's most interesting man.

Every old person was once young. Every dead person was once alive. He had an amazing life. He always lived in the moment, with gusto.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa33 View Post
    Hemingway seems to be a Sensory type; I wouldn't be surprised if he was SEE.
    That would be my second guess for him.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Do you guys really think that an SLE would commit suicide? For what reasons?
    -

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by octo View Post
    My boyfriend's always talking about killing himself before he gets old and can't do all the "fun" things he likes to do, and he doesn't want to be a burden on society... but he's probably not SLE in your system so *shrug*

But I can imagine that an SLE would do it if they decided life was no longer worth living, and according to Wikipedia he'd been given lots of ECT and had several debilitating health problems, so it's not beyond my comprehension that an individual in that situation of any type might choose to end it.
    Yes, we are all subject to periods of depression, and we can all be influenced by substance abuse, however, I believe that given how we process information, some types are more prone to suicidal tendencies than other; the types that are are Feeler types; the types that are not are Thinker types; I find that Thinker types rationalize their feelings and are able to pull themselves out of emotional situations; a common SLE saying I've heard that speaks about this rationalization is "Tomorrow is another day" "someday, none of this will matter" (you may find in that saying); as long as there are people to influence, people to view an SLE, thought may become the center focus of the individual, to motivate themselves and others. I find this consistent with SLE literature, having read works by Christopher Reeve, Clint Eastwood, Richard Nixon and other popular SLE who have faced strong and challenging moments in their lives where suicide may have been an option. This is a general observation. Nothing conclusive (YET!).

I find it hard to believe that Hemingway was SLE because he would have been aware of the influence and motivation of his writing and having appreciated the attention, he wouldn't have removed himself from the world, instead would have used his power to broaden his influence some more.

I, of course, am only speaking of how I conceptually combine my understanding of SLE motivation with influence of their position.
    -

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes I believe it was a rational choice. He wasn't fully enjoying his life anymore and didn't want his health to steadily move downhill any more than it already was. of course he was aware of what his writing had contributed. But I also know that SLEs don't like to feel powerless and I think he was scared that he was powerless over his health and he wanted to be in control of how his life ended. The idea of slowly wasting away in pain was unthinkable.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like Hemingway. One of his favorite writers is also one of my favorite writers: Stephen Crane (author of The Red Badge of Courage). Not sure what type Crane was, though.
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

I would say egos can sometime like to take the agency of their own demise into their own hands.

Hunter S. Thompson is another writer who did similar feat.

Then again many members of Hemingway's family has commited suicide, it runs in their family.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People of any type can suffer from severe depression, and there is no type immune from potential suicide. Absolutely not type related, and it upsets me to see it classified that way.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker View Post
    People of any type can suffer from severe depression, and there is no type immune from potential suicide. Absolutely not type related, and it upsets me to see it classified that way.
    I would say this isn't the case in Hemingway's death, his suicide might have involved severe depression, but there were other factors, such as debilitation and sickness.

IMO, suicide is type related, as every individual may have different reasons to commit suicide. Severe depression is not the only reason people commit suicide nor is imo is it a blanket cause.

My friend committed suicide in high school and he was SLE and we both were likely severely depressed, but he also had physical abuse and drug addiction mixed in there and was also much more impulsive as well as decisive in his actions. There are very external factors why he committed suicide beyond depression and the route that he took, a gun was very direct and certain fashion to do it. His gender, type, and life circumstances in my opinion allowed his suicide to occur in a definite fashion where as I was far more passively depressed and suicidal without really any motivation to act on my impulses. Of course this event made me even more depressed, but I never really had the willpower to acquire the means by which I could have taken this route.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The reasons why might be type related but what Maritsa said was that the fact that he committed suicide proves he isn't SLE. Committing suicide is not type related. The reasons why someone would could be.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lungs View Post
    he's boring.
    HERESY
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Starfall View Post
    my SLE says the same thing. He'll often talk about things, such as if he ever got into a motorcycle accident and was left severely paralyzed, he'd just finish himself off. He's actually confessed his thoughts of suicide a lot to me, surprisingly. If you ever met him, you'd assume he'd be the least likely person to consider that sort of thing.

From the stories I hear, there's a chance my biological grandfather was SLE, though I never got the chance to meet him. Rumor has it, he committed suicide alone in a hotel room, being diagnosed with throat cancer, with nothing else to live for.
    I think SLE's as one of the types who are going to be very decisive about this sort of thing.

From all of my time with SLE's and around them, imo if they feel like they couldn't live a full and fulfilling life in the future, they would act to end it.

I think I think similarly, but I do not think I have the willpower to pull that trigger unless I was in excruciating pain.

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He was is the world's most interesting man.
    Hah. I love those commercials because he seems so incredibly boring. Maybe that's the tactic... if you drink Dos Equis, you'll be an interesting disgustingly rich person too surrounded by sexually appealing people who all want in your bed. Sigh.

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought I'd point out that over half of suicides are with a fire arm and that men are more likely to kill themselves than women. So a man killing himself with a hand gun or rifle just doesn't strike me as incredibly unique.

http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-201_162-171971.html

TIM
    x s x p s p s x
    Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

That's really interesting. Can it be true?? He seems so intuitive. I have to read some more of him and see what he feels like. Based on the very little I have read I thought Ni ego, but I don't really have an opinion. Hmm, SLE, SLE, SLE, I have to hammer this into my brain.
    Here's some more likely Se-SLEs that come off that way...

Quote Originally Posted by octo View Post
    My boyfriend's always talking about killing himself before he gets old and can't do all the "fun" things he likes to do, and he doesn't want to be a burden on society... but he's probably not SLE in your system so *shrug*

But I can imagine that an SLE would do it if they decided life was no longer worth living, and according to Wikipedia he'd been given lots of ECT and had several debilitating health problems, so it's not beyond my comprehension that an individual in that situation of any type might choose to end it.
    That's exactly it for me. It would be pointless for me to just lay around and waste money and time all day, and to have to be at the mercy of other people, making them hate me for each second I stick around like that, embarrassing myself all the while... once I start seeing things going downhill too much, I'll be sure to get a gun powerful enough to blow my skull and brains into uselessness, and hopefully whatever in me that's piloting this body finds a new baby one that grows into something even better in an even more glorious timeframe... only thing I'm afraid of is being unable to move, and that never lasts...
    p . . . a . . . n . . . d . . . o . . . r . . . a
    trad metalz | (more coming)

TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have no trouble imagining that Fi PoLR and EP temperament couldn't get suicidal.
    I'm just going to say that I have been very near the edge.

Suicidal, drinks a lot, has many women, is kinda narcistic, enjoys redbaron's favor.. this reminds me of someone.

He drank too much, he committed suicide, he had four wives and was kinda narcissistic.
    If done in that chronological order, he certainly would have been the most interesting man in the world.
    “I tell you, freedom and human rights in America are doomed. The U.S. government will lead the American people in — and the West in general — into an unbearable hell and a choking life. - Osama bin Laden

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hkkmr View Post
    I think I think similarly, but I do not think I have the willpower to pull that trigger unless I was in excruciating pain.
    me too. I KNOW I don't have the willpower. I'm pathetically wimpy when it comes to something like that.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

I've known/read/typed of one SLE suicide case and this was a young man who was sentenced to prison after having killed someone.
    -

TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa Darmandzhyan View Post
    I've known/read/typed of one SLE suicide case and this was a young man who was sentenced to prison after having killed someone.
    Sounds like an impulsive kill followed by a Fi PoLR guilt trip.
    “I tell you, freedom and human rights in America are doomed. The U.S. government will lead the American people in — and the West in general — into an unbearable hell and a choking life. - Osama bin Laden

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by woofwoofl View Post
    ... only thing I'm afraid of is being unable to move, and that never lasts...
    Do you hate dentist appointments and haircuts?
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, we are all subject to periods of depression, and we can all be influenced by substance abuse, however, I believe that given how we process information, some types are more prone to suicidal tendencies than other; the types that are are Feeler types; the types that are not are Thinker types; I find that Thinker types rationalize their feelings and are able to pull themselves out of emotional situations; a common SLE saying I've heard that speaks about this rationalization is "Tomorrow is another day" "someday, none of this will matter" (you may find in that saying); as long as there are people to influence, people to view an SLE, thought may become the center focus of the individual, to motivate themselves and others. I find this consistent with SLE literature, having read works by Christopher Reeve, Clint Eastwood, Richard Nixon and other popular SLE who have faced strong and challenging moments in their lives where suicide may have been an option. This is a general observation. Nothing conclusive (YET!).

I find it hard to believe that Hemingway was SLE because he would have been aware of the influence and motivation of his writing and having appreciated the attention, he wouldn't have removed himself from the world, instead would have used his power to broaden his influence some more
    Are you really this dense?

TIM
    SLE
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Necro bump.

Quote Originally Posted by Beautiful sky View Post
    Do you guys really think that an SLE would commit suicide? For what reasons?
    Looks like it was a combination of declining powers, depression, family history of suicide, 1D Ni driven to extreme paranoia under targeted surveillance by the FBI, and brain changes from electro-convulsion therapy.

However, in 2011, Aaron Edward Hotchner, the writer’s biographer and long-time friend came out with the most viable explanation to date. Hotchner was Hemingway’s trusty companion during the last 13 years of his life, joining him on various escapades in Cuba and Europe.

According to him, the writer was faced with two major ordeals in his later life.

First was a conviction that his most lucrative years as an author were long gone and that he would never be able to produce literary work of the likes of For Whom The Bell Tolls or The Sun Also Rises. Hemingway had confessed to Hotchner that he felt unable to finish his mission as a writer on the one hand, while also ruling out the notion of retiring as he considered retirement to be impossible for a writer.

The second idea that plagued Hemingway, and ultimately led him to suicide, was a fear of being followed by the FBI. Hotchner recalls in detail bursts of paranoia during the last years of his life, spent in his reclusive resort in Ketchum, Idaho.

As early as 1959, Hemingway seems to have been seriously distraught by the notion that he was being constantly followed by the Federal Bureau of Investigation, which he claimed bugged his home and even his automobile.

In the NY Times interview, Hotchner painfully recalled a situation when he arrived to visit Hemingway in Idaho, together with Forrest “Duke” MacMullen, the writer’s old hunting pal. It was November 1959, and the three friends had arranged a pheasant shooting trip.

Instead, Hutchings and MacMullen were met with a mad old man who appeared to be haunted by various demons, whom he called “the feds“:

“It’s the worst hell. The most goddamned hell. They’ve bugged everything. That’s why we’re using Duke’s car. Mine’s bugged. Everything’s bugged. Can’t use the phone. Mail intercepted.”

His ramblings continued until he went silent, only to burst into another rant about the federal agents going through his financial accounts. During dinner in a local bar with the writer and his wife, Mary, Hemingway asked them to leave early as he was convinced that the two men sitting close to their table were also federal agents.

The situation looked grim. Mary expressed her worries to Hotchner, for she was strugging to cope with her husband’s crippling paranoia.

By the end of the month, the author was admitted to the psychiatric section of St. Mary’s Hospital in Rochester, Minnesota, using a fake name to avoid publicity. There he was subjected to 11 electric shock treatments, believed back then to be helpful with mental illness.

Of course, such torture only worsened his state.

Less than two years after, the writer put a shotgun to his head, ending a complex and beautiful life filled with inner turmoil.

It was proven that his phones were tapped and that his correspondence was monitored. Evidence implies that even the telephone at St. Mary’s Hospital was under surveillance as well.

After learning of this, Hotchner summarized his feelings towards Hemingway and the fact that he, like everyone else, was convinced that what the writer was experiencing was just a product of mental illness:

“In the years since, I have tried to reconcile Ernest’s fear of the F.B.I., which I regretfully misjudged, with the reality of the F.B.I. file. I now believe he truly sensed the surveillance, and that it substantially contributed to his anguish and his suicide.”

https://www.thevintagenews.com/2018/...hemingway-fbi/

A special agent still followed him when he entered the Mayo Clinic in Minneapolis, a few months before his death, and reported to Mr. Hoover, on Jan. 13, 1961, that Hemingway was ''physically and mentally'' ill and had registered in the hospital under an assumed name.

https://archive.nytimes.com/www.nyti...ngway-fbi.html

https://vault.fbi.gov/ernest-miller-...-01-of-01/view

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast