Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IEIs-INFps, what does your Si role function look like?

TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forgetting to brush my teeth in the evening, not feeling thirsty for a whole day every now and then, not wearing rain coats when I should...
    Love is like an energy, rushing in, rushing inside of me...

TIM
    ILI 5w4 sx/??
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Si role function shows itself in me bumping into shit that's right in front of my face.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kadda1212 View Post
    Forgetting to brush my teeth in the evening, not feeling thirsty for a whole day every now and then, not wearing rain coats when I should...
    Sounds like lii

TIM
    IEI-Fe e4 458 Sx
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One thing I've noticed – and I've talked about this with another IEI and she said she has noticed the same – is that I have trouble telling apart emotions and physical sensations. For instance, I might feel noticeably bad but have trouble telling whether it's because of something I ate or because of something someone said. I was wondering if anyone else had this problem too?

Other Si role problems I've noticed include ignoring things I probably shouldn't be ignoring like severe pain or ache (unless it's bad enough to make me unable to function normally), sitting in weird postures for prolonged periods of time (and only realizing it was a bad idea when I feel fucking sore afterwards), feeling hungry or tired as hell but not bothering to do shit about it, not being able to tell when I'm full and shouldn't eat any more if I want to avoid feeling sick. And not noticing the temperature and its effect on me! I sometimes sit at home wondering why I feel like crap for hours, and then my ESE brother drops by and the first thing he says is "it's really hot in here, aren't you uncomfortable?" Then he proceeds to open the window and I go, ahhh, how refreshing! Oh, and I eat the same food for like two or three months straight. Goddamn zucchini, kale and kidney beans every single night. Because once I come up with a meal that tastes bearable and satisfies my nutritional needs I sure as hell am going to stick with it for as long as I can get it down my throat without gagging out of sheer boredom. Yup. Can't bother to come up with anything new to eat once something works for me.

I don't know if it's very usual for Si role but sometimes I'm overly sensitive to sensory stuff. Might have to do with non-type-related sensory defensiveness but sometimes I really flip my shit over minor sensory annoyances such as itchy seams on clothes or small repetitive noises (clocks ticking, other people breathing or stuff like that). Then again my pain tolerance is really high. You can literally drag me around from my hair and the only thing that makes me mad about it is that you're ruining my hairdo. You don't want to end up in a physical fight with me because I'll beat you simply by not reacting to physical pain significantly.
    Last edited by Aivonaima; 12-25-2013 at 01:21 AM.
    "Use every ounce of potential you have, raise revolution against what people expect of you, and tell the world this is not a rehearsal. This is the real me. And listen up, ‘cause it could be the most honest incarnation yet."

TIM
    Ni-IEI sx/sp
    Mentioned
    416 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

I think spas are hell on earth.

a two horned unicorn renegade Heretic 007's Avatar
    TIM
    ILE-C-I
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by silke View Post
    I think spas are hell on earth.
    Sounds like someone needs a forceful massage.
    Measuring you right now

Winning is for losers

TIM
    FELV/IEI
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I wouldn't say I have bad Si... it's more like... I have selfish and stubborn Si. Like I know better than the dumb ese/lse's who try to tell me I need a sweatshirt or something. No, I need nothing except your silence thank you.

Alot of my issues with Si are just feeling oppressed by those who constantly think about it.

I'm probably more likely than other iei's to actually be sei, so don't take my word.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I have difficulty knowing how my body feels, e.g, I'd force myself to run until I end up throwing up.

I don't give a damn about how food tastes like. I can eat plain bread and instant noodles every day, I don't care what I eat as long as I'm able to survive in this world without dying.
    Just don't feed me poison and i'll be fine.

TIM
    ILe-nE
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They lazy ASF and messy (ILEs messy to so..). but at least Si role is good enough, snack nom-nom

ILI

ТРВЕ КВЛТ DarkAngelFireWizard666's Avatar
    TIM
    N-IEI 459 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't say I'm unable to understand my bodily needs, just that I easily disassociate from them. Everything in my life is very chaotic, I have pretty much no routine. This goes for eating and sleeping habits as well. "It's like I have a snooze button on my bodily needs.", this was a good way of putting it. I often go for 12+ hours without eating, and once I do eat I eat such bad food it's not even funny. I have periods where I like to splurge excessively, usually on junk food, candy and alcohol. I hate cooking and preparing food. I don't care much for comfort or my surroundings. My apartment is basically a prison cell with no decoration whatsoever. Most of the time it's incredibly messy too.

TIM
    SLE
    Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kadda1212 View Post
    I came

TIM
    1w2 Sx/So IEI-Fe
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was unaware of my body when younger--to a laughable degree--but forced to focus on it when I developed a chronic illness during grad school. I became symptom free after a couple years because I was so Ni laser-focused on healing myself. I was able to stick to those healthy routines/self-care habits almost slavishly for a couple years until I got better, but now that I feel fine I struggle to maintain them. No matter how hard I try, my eating/sleep cycles ebb and flow like the moon and the tides.

My SEI roommate once, incredulously: "Are you ever going to take off your coat and put on pajama pants?"--since I would walk in the door and promptly start eating/checking emails/doing homework without taking off my winter gear. She, on the other hand, was in a bathrobe the minute she got home from work at 5pm. Another big difference between us was that while we both had daily to-do lists, she did hers in exactly the same way every day while my timeline fluctuated greatly depending on mood, energy, etc.

I don't often stop to evaluate if the "same old things" are still working until something really starts to hurt. Si-doms have a much more sophisticated process because of their constant attunement to their body, and they see Si as an end in itself. I usually view Si simply as necessary to keep doing the things I want to do, although with age I do more things for genuine pleasure....like hot baths or massages or wearing my fuzzy socks on a cold day.

It's different from Si PoLR, too, since Si doesn't strongly irritate me unless it's in the way of Ni goals. Will usually attempt to make others more comfortable than myself, like asking everyone in the car if they're too hot, feeding them (albeit sporadically since it's kind of stressful to play host), or projecting calm if they're in a heightened state of anxiety. Mirror neurons and all that. I've been told throughout my life that I come off as calming, but don't usually feel that way internally.
    Last edited by Emily; 01-16-2020 at 04:54 PM.

TIM
    ILe-nE
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Emily View Post
    , or projecting calm if they're in a heightened state of anxiety. Mirror neurons and all that. I've been told throughout my life that I come off as calming, but don't usually feel that way internally.
    This one.
    Last edited by karas; 01-16-2020 at 02:24 PM.

Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This thread is full of nonsense, and most descriptions of what people claim to be Si-Role are in fact more about Si in other functions.

Wikisocion has the following description for Si-Role:

The individual dislikes it when others emphasize the need for relaxation, enjoyment, and activities that are supposed to bring these about, because what they need internally is just the opposite — a need for action and resolve. Rather than spend their time trying to "listen to what their body is telling them," they need to have clear external demands that are able to overcome their sense of uncertainty and hesitation.
    Source: http://www.wikisocion.net/en/index.p...IEI_and_ILI.29

The essence of the role function is that, when used, the effects are harmful to the individual or their social environment. In the case of IEIs and ILIs, Si-role is not about "lack of awareness of body" etc.etc. but about a kind of laziness and inactivity that ultimately results in all kinds of problems. Totally unlike the Si in SLIs and SEIs: these two types do what needs to be done, so all obligations are met, and than relax. ILIs and IEIs, when using Si, get into a state of inactivity or leisurely play and start to neglect all kinds of external demands, demands that need to be met sooner of later, and therefore get into trouble. As such, the Si-Role function is connected to the Se-suggestive function. What ILIs and IEIs often need, is a proverbial kick-in-the-butt to get them into action. This is, in a sense, what wikisocion also tells us.

Recently I gave this example of an ILI in need of Se-suggestive:

https://www.the16types.info/vbulleti...=1#post1371552
    Last edited by consentingadult; 01-16-2020 at 04:33 PM.
    The future of Socionics:
    Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa View Post
    Many black Americans are SEE type.

TIM
    ILe-nE
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This role function is also called the third function. When a person is actively using his base function, the role function is essentially turned off. The two cannot both be "on" at the same time, because they represent two opposing approaches to similar things. An example of each opposing pair of elements are:

Si Si vs. Ni Ni: a focus on one's environment and how it's affecting one's physical state vs. a focus on a situation's development over time and other underlying meanings
    Se Se vs. Ne Ne: active acquisition, control, and organization of visible territory and objects vs. active search for and development of invisible potential and emerging situations
    Fi Fi vs. Ti Ti: evaluation according to personal sentiments vs. evaluation according to impersonal laws (mercy vs. justice)
    Fe Fe vs. Te Te: evaluation according to the people/social element involved vs. evaluation according to efficiency, effectiveness or objective reasoning
    Because of this opposition, the more one gets carried away with one's base function, the more the role function is ignored or suppressed. People are generally somewhat aware of this suppression and perceive it as a personal weakness that needs to be "worked on" in order to meet other people's expectations and achieve something in society. It is typical for people to periodically work on their role function in order to correct imbalances in their life and improve their weak areas. However, these attempts are generally sporadic and are forgotten as soon as the perceived problem begins to go away and the person once again becomes carried away with their usual lifestyle which is dominated by their base function. Thus, development of the role function is more like patching up leaks than building a complete, self-sufficient structure. Often individuals wish they could build up their role function and become "supermen", but an excessive focus on this unreachable goal brings disappointment, because the base function always wins anyways.

When people are criticized for their lack of attentiveness to their role function, they are often irritated because they are already well aware of the deficiency and have already tried and failed to correct it. When problems arise with the role function, energy flows away from the base function, the individual brings his usual activities to a halt, and tries to pick up all the tasks he had been neglecting. Directing energy through the base function is effortless; working with the role function requires effort and concentration. Thus, people's concept of self-development is often centered on development of the role function and the Super-Ego block in general.

Compared to the vulnerable function, role function criticism is easier for a person to respond to or dismiss, since they believe that it has some value, in theory. The role function is triggered situationally, when individuals are met with situations that oppose their base aspect of reality. The base function only accepts information relating to its information aspect, and other information cannot be produced into new data with the creative function.

http://www.wikisocion.net/en/index.p...#Role_function

TIM
    1w2 Sx/So IEI-Fe
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by karas View Post
    Because of this opposition, the more one gets carried away with one's base function, the more the role function is ignored or suppressed.
    Exactly this. Developing a chronic illness was my wake-up call to pay attention to the role, both better physical care for my body/energy management, as well as looking at the impact of past trauma and long standing anxiety on my overall well-being.

However, these attempts are generally sporadic and are forgotten as soon as the perceived problem begins to go away and the person once again becomes carried away with their usual lifestyle which is dominated by their base function. Thus, development of the role function is more like patching up leaks than building a complete, self-sufficient structure. Often individuals wish they could build up their role function and become "supermen", but an excessive focus on this unreachable goal brings disappointment, because the base function always wins anyways
    Haha, oh man. So well put. Thanks for this post!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12