Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: EIIs-INFjs on cursing and swearing

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

I say morons, idiots a lot. I obviously don't like unintelligent humans with no insight. Really, I would be the worse person to follow commands because I don't. If it doesn't make sense to me then I'm just like "no." End of story.
    Last edited by Beautiful sky; 05-29-2012 at 06:30 AM.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I say ****** a lot, it feels so satisfying to say. It's also just fun to watch people's reactions to it, especially friends who are unawares of my condition.

One time in my freshman year, my roommate and I were talking down the dorm hall when one of us said ****** within earshot of the dorm counselor/manager. He stopped us mid-way down the hall to give us a little lecture on the rules of being PC

"Excuse me, do you two know what that word means?"
    a dumbfounded "uhhhh"
    "It's a derogatory term for a gay person"
    "oh okay"
    "Don't let me hear you saying that again"
    "sure"

We never did stop saying it. Good times.

TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Galen View Post
    I say ****** a lot, it feels so satisfying to say. It's also just fun to watch people's reactions to it, especially friends who are unawares of my condition.

One time in my freshman year, my roommate and I were talking down the dorm hall when one of us said ****** within earshot of the dorm counselor/manager. He stopped us mid-way down the hall to give us a little lecture on the rules of being PC

"Excuse me, do you two know what that word means?"
    a dumbfounded "uhhhh"
    "It's a derogatory term for a gay person"
    "oh okay"
    "Don't let me hear you saying that again"
    "sure"

We never did stop saying it. Good times.
    Awesome! Condition, lol
    Sometimes I feel like I went to the gay side just so that I will have an immunity to use the pejorative terms.

Next I'll be turning black so I can have the valued n-word immunity.
    “I tell you, freedom and human rights in America are doomed. The U.S. government will lead the American people in — and the West in general — into an unbearable hell and a choking life. - Osama bin Laden

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to dislike people that swore. Since it can't be avoided easily, however, I don't care as much anymore, but I still generally refrain from using vulgar language. I get a feeling that it takes a toll on my own karma...

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HandiAce View Post
    I used to dislike people that swore. Since it can't be avoided easily, however, I don't care as much anymore, but I still generally refrain from using vulgar language. I get a feeling that it takes a toll on my own karma...
    I don't, usually swear when I'm pissed at something going not the way I wanted or at people who crossed that invisible fence when interacting with me. Oh ye, I'm not EII, just remembered.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Absurd View Post
    I don't, usually swear when I'm pissed at something going not the way I wanted or at people who crossed that invisible fence when interacting with me. Oh ye, I'm not EII, just remembered.
    Neither am I EII, but I value Fi and as a Delta NF, I should be able to relate to this thread.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Neither am I, but I value Fi and as a Delta NF, I should be able to relate to this thread.
    That's great.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Absurd View Post
    That's great.
    I'm not the only non-EII to reply to this thread sharing my experience. Maybe you need some help keeping the bombs in your bays?

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm not the only non-EII to reply to this thread sharing my experience. Maybe you need some help keeping the bombs in your bays?
    Excuse me?

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I swear when I guage the people I'm with will not be offended. Even then I choose the swear words uncounciously. F-Bombs and cunt chats being the worst....and dammits and jahzus being the tamest. If I'm around people I know, or if someone cuts me off malicously while driving, then effing eff that *unt. If I drop a penny on the ground while paying for a cheese burger, then dammit, or fudge. I heard on the Candian Broadcasting Channnel that swearing around coworkers when something bad happens actually creates a psycological bridge between people. Meaning swearing can make others feel comfortable around you. Counter intuitive eh? I think EII's are more fearfull of offending another person on a level of who that person is as an individual. Saying shiet should not offend the core values of another person.

I used to believe that only uneducated people swore, or that it was a sign of crassness. Then I went to a lecture given by David Suzuki (a famous candian naturalist and TV presenter - similar to Richard Attenbourough) and he effing said the F-bomb so many times. No one ever claimed David Suzuki was uneducated.

EII's tend to judge themselves harshest. If they say something along the lines of, "I would never call myslef a ******", than that means it's okay for other people to refer to themselves as ******s, just not oneself.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

they call you names

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not EII per se... i guess there is a small chance i could be, but anyway, I wanted to comment because I do make it a point to avoid using foul language in general. The most i'll say is "shoot" or "hell". Not wanting to offend people is certainly a big reason I dont, but another is that i think it's a sign of a small vocabulary when people need to resort to such words to express how they are feeling. I dont like to deign to that sort of behavior... I know that must sound a bit haughty but that's just how i feel about it. It doesn't offend me necessarily when others around me swear, i just see it as a sorta dumb and self-deprecating thing to do, sometimes to the point of being funny or even hilarious, like a spectacle almost.
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WaceysShoulder View Post
    I used to believe that only uneducated people swore, or that it was a sign of crassness. Then I went to a lecture given by David Suzuki (a famous candian naturalist and TV presenter - similar to Richard Attenbourough) and he effing said the F-bomb so many times. No one ever claimed David Suzuki was uneducated.
    I'm glad i'm not the only with this viewpoint (or at least you used to have it), because i kinda feel bad airing out my values like that since a lot of people do use foul language around here, even people that i do like and respect. I guess i'm feeling a bit disinhibited tonight...

As for David Suzuki dropping the F-bomb over and over, see... I would still see that as totally unnecessary... ESPECIALLY since he's well-educated... I mean what's the point of embarrassing oneself like that?? Aren't there any other words out there to use for emphasizing his points? Was he trying to be funny or something? Or did he think he would relate better to the audience by doing so? Even though he's a smart and well educated guy, I say that was kind of retarded rhetoric for him to choose...

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh teehee... reading this thread backwards... i guess i really am not the only one... :highfive:

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa Darmandzhyan View Post
    I say morons, idiots a lot. I obviously don't like unintelligent humans with no insight. Really, I would be the worse person to follow commands because I don't. If it doesn't make sense to me then I'm just like "no." End of story.
    Not everybody in this world is blessed with a high IQ, Maritsa. You shouldn't be unkind to people and name-call them just because you think they dont have good insight or are unintelligent.

That said, "morons" and "idiots" aren't foul language. It's not even slang i dont think (not sure about "morons").

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aivonaima View Post
    I don't get it. Why would someone consider swearing offensive? I do it all the time (really, uncontrollably) and.. I... I just don't get it. They're words. Words, people. Fuck or love, shit or daisies, what the fuck does it matter as long as I'm not fucking you over and throwing feces at you?
    Words are very precious things. The course of history is made and altered with words. A single word can be more powerful than weapons. Once you let go of a word, it is something you can never take back. Words reflect who you are and what is in your mind.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WorkaholicsAnon View Post
    Not everybody in this world is blessed with a high IQ, Maritsa. You shouldn't be unkind to people and name-call them just because you think they dont have good insight or are unintelligent.

That said, "morons" and "idiots" aren't foul language. It's not even slang i dont think (not sure about "morons").
    Was I directing that at you? Another thing that I would like to point out to you about SEE types is that in an argument, they will dredge up things I've said in the past IN AN ENTIRELY SEPARATE CONTEXT and use them against me, the objective of this, in using Se to defend one's position is to put the other person, meaning me, on the defensive, that allows you, the person on the offensive to take up a position of power and control the flow of the argument. Score, for you, you disqualify as Ne base.
    -

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Words are very precious things. The course of history is made and altered with words. A single word can be more powerful than weapons.
    So tell me how swearing will change the world?
    Once you let go of a word, it is something you can never take back.
    That's not a good reason to ban tools of expression. That's a good reason to think before saying anything stupid. Hint hint
    Words reflect who you are and what is in your mind.
    And what if our mind wants to express and manifest themselves as cursing?
    “I tell you, freedom and human rights in America are doomed. The U.S. government will lead the American people in — and the West in general — into an unbearable hell and a choking life. - Osama bin Laden

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Radio View Post
    oh that's funny, i've seen you call at least two women "bitch" on this forum, you filthy fucking hypocrite.
    Here's a couple, The second was directed at ver.

LOOK and See for yourself...

5 of my posts she collects into one thread. What a fucking bitch she is....

Se...perceiving me and my posts...
    I didn't perceive all of those posts that I made, not like she did anyway, even if she can perceive them better then I can, IT GIVES HER NO REASON OR EXCUSE TO ACT THIS WAY EVEN AFTER WE DISCUSSED THAT WE WEREN'T GOING TO DO THAT HERE.

http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...-post1974.html

quote that for your fucking posterity, WA.

She, her, her every fucking being rubs me the wrong way especially since she is a loose canon.

Reported by another member. Don't flame like this in this thread again. ~~~jxrtes

exactly, now move on BITCH
    IEE-Ne

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was I directing that at you? Another thing that I would like to point out to you about SEE types is that in an argument, they will dredge up things I've said in the past IN AN ENTIRELY SEPARATE CONTEXT and use them against me, the objective of this, in using Se to defend one's position is to put the other person, meaning me, on the defensive, that allows you, the person on the offensive to take up a position of power and control the flow of the argument. Score, for you, you disqualify as Ne base.
    So just because you weren't directing that comment at me, i'm not supposed to react? That's a weird attempt at mind-control, Maritsa...
    That is also a weird thing for an EII to say... so according to you, if you call a person with Down's syndrome a moron or idiot in my presence, i'm not supposed to interject, since you were not directing that at me? wow...

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    So tell me how swearing will change the world? That's not a good reason to ban tools of expression. That's a good reason to think before saying anything stupid. Hint hint
    And what if our mind wants to express and manifest themselves as cursing?
    it depends what context the swearing is in... and "changing the whole world" isn't necessarily the only goal here. My point is that little words are so powerful they have been known to alter courses of world history, not to mention interpersonal interactions, etc. EXTRAPOLATE, man. Try to use some neurons a little bit..

Words are not "just" words, but very powerful mediums, as you yourself said, of expression. Nowhere did i say "ban swear words". Nowhere did I say "dont use them." My point is, you can definitely use them, it just reflects who you are. I was also responding to aivonua's assertion of "who cares, it's just words, it's meaningless." We were not discussing swear words in that point.

Try a little better to get the point before calling someone stupid. Well, i guess you just demonstrated your own feeble mindedness instead... lol

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by octo View Post
    I never understood this line of reasoning.

Also, to add another platitude, "sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me".
    Well, like i mentioned in my response to aquagraph, i was not necessarily referring to just swear words/namecalling and hurt feelings. I was responding to aivonua's somewhat frivolous statement implying that words are things to just be tossed around lightly and absentmindedly, and that words are of no consequence.

I strongly disagree with that assertion as I see words to be EXTREMELY powerful. This doesn't necessarily concern just foul language, but all verbal expression. And as i mentioned before, foul language doesn't offend me. It just shows me a reflection of who the person is (and it usually makes me laugh... or feel embarrassed for that person... or both...).

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

So just because you weren't directing that comment at me, i'm not supposed to react? That's a weird attempt at mind-control, Maritsa...
    That is also a weird thing for an EII to say... so according to you, if you call a person with Down's syndrome a moron or idiot in my presence, i'm not supposed to interject, since you were not directing that at me? wow...
    You can respond, ones ability to do so or not doesn't constitute one's intention or motivation, that is simple logic, but I suppose now, with your Ti PoLR you're having difficulty following the logic of your own argument, or mine for that matter. Please stop twisting what I say and what you say, in semantic ways to spin the argument in your favor; you start hostile behaviors and you can't expect that people won't follow suit; if you don't want to play, don't. It's simple.
    -

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perhaps it's a delta aristocracy thing..

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maritsa, why did you add your surname to your nickname?
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My point is that little words are so powerful they have been known to alter courses of world history, not to mention interpersonal interactions, etc. EXTRAPOLATE, man.
    You failed to answer how will swear words change the world.
    Try a little better to get the point before calling someone stupid. Well, i guess you just demonstrated your own feeble mindedness instead... lol
    I can play stupid if it makes you feel smarter, baby. You already have it bad enough.

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    You failed to answer how will swear words change the world.
    I can play stupid if it makes you feel smarter, baby. You already have it bad enough.
    I failed to answer because that was not the point of my statement.

And it's usually the stupidest people who think they are the smartest. Usually this kind of reaction happens when the person has failed to fully understand what i've said. That's fine, i acknowledge that.
    Last edited by Suz; 06-20-2012 at 12:23 PM.

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree that they are powerful, but some of what you said seems more like convenient, pretty phrases that don't actually reflect the truth.

e.g. "The course of history is made and altered with words." - actions are arguably more important than words historically speaking.
    Well of course, but words have been known to alter the course of history without lifting a single weapon.

"Once you let go of a word, it is something you can never take back." - well, the word "sorry" or the phrase "I was feeling very crappy that day, I didn't mean what I said" are ways of undoing it... perhaps not ways of undoing everything, but enough to refute the assertion of "never".
    BINGO. Once you say something, you can never fully undo it. It HAS changed the situation, even a little bit. You can try and try and try to take it back, but the thing that was said will have been said and has affected "the world" or a microcosm of it (e.g. the individual in question, a relationship, a situation). Could be for the better, or for the worse, or just different, but the words that were said have had an influence.

I judge people more on the holistic content of what they say, rather than the exact words they use to say it. A well-dressed man eloquently saying that it's his firm opinion that white people are naturally more intelligent than any other race, for example, would be far, far more embarrassing to me than any string of expletives.
    Of course, so do I. The "holistic content of what they say" are still consisting of words. In this discourse on the power of words, I am not limiting it to expletives. Though expletives will also add to a "holistic" impression of what someone says, imo.

Perhaps it's a delta aristocracy thing, judging someone on some aspect of behaviour that to me seems superficial and bears no relation to someone's content of character, and perhaps increases my respect for them?
    Well i think you just didn't fully apply what I asserted... You didn't realize the scope of what i was talking about. You just seemed to assume i was referring to just the use of expletives or something, and being offended by it (I have mentioned a couple of times now that expletives dont offend me). I still say, though, that anything that comes out of anyone's mouth does indeed reflect the content of their character (of course in addition to and in context with their character, i mean words are just one facet, but it is still a reflection). I'm not saying that if someone uses an expletive, it's an automatic judgement of "ew, bad person!" On the contrary, a lot of people that i love and respect will use expletives at some point. I just think that the USE of expletives isn't necessary to expression if you have a good vocabulary. That's all.

I dont deny though that my disdain for the use of vulgar language (as HandiAce put it ) could be related to delta artistocracy. I was going to mention that actually. Disdain is different from offense though. And disdain at the use of the expletives is different from disdain at the person him/herself for using them.
    Last edited by Suz; 06-20-2012 at 12:29 PM.

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can respond, ones ability to do so or not doesn't constitute one's intention or motivation, that is simple logic, but I suppose now, with your Ti PoLR you're having difficulty following the logic of your own argument, or mine for that matter. Please stop twisting what I say and what you say, in semantic ways to spin the argument in your favor; you start hostile behaviors and you can't expect that people won't follow suit; if you don't want to play, don't. It's simple.

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd just like to take a moment to point out that the forum has a multi-quote function; it makes multiple posts in a row from the same person unnecessary.
    Johari/Nohari

"Tell someone you love them today, because life is short; shout it at them in German, because life is also terrifying."

Fruit, the fluffy kitty.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Acting like you're confused to degrade the other person's argument is a weak way of approaching things.
    -

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Acting like you're confused to degrade the other person's argument is a weak way of approaching things.

No, i'm really confused by your post!

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryene Astraelis View Post
    I'd just like to take a moment to point out that the forum has a multi-quote function; it makes multiple posts in a row from the same person unnecessary.
    I personally dont like reading multi-quoted messages, so I keep my responses to different people in different posts. Also frequently what happens is i'm reading through a thread and respond to posts as i come across them. Easier than remembering which ones i wanted to respond to and what i wanted to say. This was certainly the case here. It's not because i didn't know there was a multi-quote function or that i didn't know how to use it.

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I personally dont like reading multi-quoted messages, so I keep my responses to different people in different posts.
    Noted. I don't particularly like going four posts in and realizing the same person is still talking when they could have just consolidated.

Also frequently what happens is i'm reading through a thread and respond to posts as i come across them. Easier than remembering which ones i wanted to respond to and what i wanted to say. This was certainly the case here. It's not because i didn't know there was a multi-quote function or that i didn't know how to use it.
    It's possible to copy and paste the quotes into something and keep up with it as you go. I think it will ultimately boil down to personal taste, given your sentiments on the matter, but there are other methods available to you than the one you mentioned.
    Johari/Nohari

"Tell someone you love them today, because life is short; shout it at them in German, because life is also terrifying."

Fruit, the fluffy kitty.

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm glad i'm not the only with this viewpoint (or at least you used to have it), because i kinda feel bad airing out my values like that since a lot of people do use foul language around here, even people that i do like and respect. I guess i'm feeling a bit disinhibited tonight...

As for David Suzuki dropping the F-bomb over and over, see... I would still see that as totally unnecessary... ESPECIALLY since he's well-educated... I mean what's the point of embarrassing oneself like that?? Aren't there any other words out there to use for emphasizing his points? Was he trying to be funny or something? Or did he think he would relate better to the audience by doing so? Even though he's a smart and well educated guy, I say that was kind of retarded rhetoric for him to choose...
    David was not trying to be funny, he was angry. The lecture was part of a series at a local university. In person, away from his TV show "The Nature of Things", he actually seems like quite a defeated, and cynical man. Imagine spending 30 - 40 years fighting for nature (in Canada) and trying to illuminate and enlighten the minds of the public, only to have your lifes work in conservation swept away by mindless corporations and ignorant poloticians. He believes that in reality, there is little hope of turning around our culturesd deep ingrained sickness in regards to our relationship with the natural world. No one in that audience seemed offended. Environmentalists are not all bleeding heart pussies. And David got a standing ovation in the end.

One of my brothers biked across Canada in 2010, partly to raise awarness for the work of the SIERRA CLUB OF CANADA. Now with this disgusting omnibus budget bill Harper's conservative government has passed....Canada's natural landscape will no longer be the same. 50 years of Environmental legal protection and proccess is gone. The "ministry of fish and wildlife" is no more. Welcome oil corporations and pipelione companies.....rape my forests. Rape my oceans. Make my land look like America's. For anyone who doubts a rise in global tempertures...visit the Canadian artic tundra....its melting, even in the winter. The pack ice will be gone in the spring and summer in a few years...opening the Northwest passage to tankers for the first time in human history. And you better beleive people will use it.....it's a hell of a lot shorter route to asia than the Panama canal = cheaper. And please don't get me started on the Enbridge pipeline being built across British Columbia from Alberta to pump all that dirty oils sands to the pacific to transport to asia for processing. a pipe line should not be built over thousnds of prisite rivers and over three mountain ranges, including the rockies!!!!!! (Right through Jasper National Park people!!) and finally into the most dangerous port city of Prince Rupert, theres are reason it's called the bone yard of the pacific, becuase ships sink there all the effing time!!! Exxon Valdez would look like a lawn mower oild spill compared to the damage of a crashed oil tankers in the narrow fjords of the pacific coast. So a few swear words is nothing.

EII"s do not like offending people on a one on one, face to face kind of thing. Swear words just are...I do agree that one should guard what they say because for better or worse, right or wrong, people do judge you by how you talk.

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I judge people more on the holistic content of what they say, rather than the exact words they use to say it. A well-dressed man eloquently saying that it's his firm opinion that white people are naturally more intelligent than any other race, for example, would be far, far more embarrassing to me than any string of expletives.

Perhaps it's a delta aristocracy thing, judging someone on some aspect of behaviour that to me seems superficial and bears no relation to someone's content of character, and perhaps increases my respect for them?
    Except the last part, I really agree. Well said.

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well of course, but words have been known to alter the course of history without lifting a single weapon.
    Uhm sure, in the same way that anything that has ever happened in the universe has affected the course of history in some respect.

BINGO. Once you say something, you can never fully undo it. It HAS changed the situation, even a little bit. You can try and try and try to take it back, but the thing that was said will have been said and has affected "the world" or a microcosm of it (e.g. the individual in question, a relationship, a situation). Could be for the better, or for the worse, or just different, but the words that were said have had an influence.
    Again, this seems applicable to any event that has ever occurred. Speech/communication is as much of an action as any other action, I don't see what all the fuss is about.

Well i think you just didn't fully apply what I asserted... You didn't realize the scope of what i was talking about. You just seemed to assume i was referring to just the use of expletives or something, and being offended by it (I have mentioned a couple of times now that expletives dont offend me). I still say, though, that anything that comes out of anyone's mouth does indeed reflect the content of their character (of course in addition to and in context with their character, i mean words are just one facet, but it is still a reflection). I'm not saying that if someone uses an expletive, it's an automatic judgement of "ew, bad person!" On the contrary, a lot of people that i love and respect will use expletives at some point. I just think that the USE of expletives isn't necessary to expression if you have a good vocabulary. That's all.
    Expletives are used as expressions and minor alleviations of immense frustration, hatred, pain, disgust, etc, and they get the job done much quicker and with much greater emotional impact than more elaborate syntactical set-ups. Saying that they aren't necessary is a naive misinterpretation of the purposes and impacts language has for people.

I dont deny though that my disdain for the use of vulgar language (as HandiAce put it ) could be related to delta artistocracy. I was going to mention that actually. Disdain is different from offense though. And disdain at the use of the expletives is different from disdain at the person him/herself for using them.
    I'm as much of a delta as you and I don't give a fucking shit about swearing.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm best delta and I don't swear at all, WA. Take example.

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Galen View Post
    Uhm sure, in the same way that anything that has ever happened in the universe has affected the course of history in some respect.

Again, this seems applicable to any event that has ever occurred. Speech/communication is as much of an action as any other action, I don't see what all the fuss is about.
    I think we agree on this. I was never making a comparison between speech/communication and physical actions. I was simply saying that words can be powerful things, not just frivolous meaningless things to be tossed around like nothing, as aivonua had stated.

Expletives are used as expressions and minor alleviations of immense frustration, hatred, pain, disgust, etc, and they get the job done much quicker and with much greater emotional impact than more elaborate syntactical set-ups. Saying that they aren't necessary is a naive misinterpretation of the purposes and impacts language has for people.
    Well i do actually agree with you on the fact that this is what people use expletives for... and that's fine if people want to express themselves like that... like i said, i dont care if people do. I just personally choose not to. I dont enjoy engaging in that sort of expression. There is nothing that i cant express in a non-vulgar way that would make me need to resort to such words, which is why i am under the impression that they arent necessary. But you're right, i guess for some people they are necessary.

I'm as much of a delta as you and I don't give a fucking shit about swearing.
    Hey, didn't I say i dont care if people swear? I REALLY dont care if people around me are swearing. Swear all you want. Like i said, i'll probably laugh (if i even react at all). I am not trying to lecture and convince people not to swear. I am simply stating my attitude on swearing. That is what this thread is about after all... or do the swearers here just want to be stroked with applause? I dont get why what i said is hitting such a sore spot for people.. Do you all want my approval or something? Why do you all care so much how i see it?

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well i do actually agree with you on the fact that this is what people use expletives for... and that's fine if people want to express themselves like that... like i said, i dont care if people do. I just personally choose not to. I dont enjoy engaging in that sort of expression. There is nothing that i cant express in a non-vulgar way that would make me need to resort to such words, which is why i am under the impression that they arent necessary. But you're right, i guess for some people they are necessary.
    Well if it is really the case that you just don't get the same sort of visceral reactions that swearing incurs, then I guess it would be the same reason as to why I don't drink or am not sexually attracted to sunflowers. In which case, more power to ya.

Hey, didn't I say i dont care if people swear? I REALLY dont care if people around me are swearing. Swear all you want. Like i said, i'll probably laugh (if i even react at all). I am not trying to lecture and convince people not to swear. I am simply stating my attitude on swearing. That is what this thread is about after all...
    I never said otherwise?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast