Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Helping Enneagram Type 6 with anxiety

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it me or are there a lot of E6 on this forum?

Creepy-pokeball

Quote Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
    Is it me or are there a lot of E6 on this forum?
    Relating types, depending on the place/time, are usually more abundant. If you want mixed dice, go to the grocery store on a weekend.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

From a previous post of mine:

"Good news for pessimists and "negativists." Randolph M. Ness (Edge online magazine and "What are you Optimistic about" book), discusses the usefulness of the pessimistic emotional state. He says while optimism is useful in propitious situations, pessimism is useful in dangerous ones because negativists tend to worry and because they worry, they work things out in their minds and plan better than optimists who are fine and positive that things will turn out well hence neither worrying nor acting on some of those things that may come up. Optimists tend to take insufficient actions or insufficient preparedness. He calls Pessimism as a necessary force for taking action. "

It just so happens that LSE are pessimists, opposite of me.

-
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Creepy-pokeball

I think you got the theory wrong.

TIM
    INFj sub (Fi+Ne)/2
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man, to help someone with their anxiety probably requires that you understand it on an existential level. AKA this shit is kind of personal for each E6.

...although alcohol and drugs can probably help everyone on a superficial level, if it doesn't become an addiction.

ugh
    this. As an E6 there is a moment you come to be aware that your real anxiety isnt related to your next pay check or if you will go homeless next month. There is something behind fear to find, to understand something more important ect.
    OP try to ask your mom what if happen if they go homeless or friendless. What the problem. Try to dig a bit more their anxiety, because this surely hide something more important they have probably stopped to realize.
    But imo what you should not do is trying to rationnalize or logicalize the stuff, the E6 will not trust you, and sometime what they fear is the rationnalization itself (ie they dont want to choose the grey area beetween black and white on some subject whatever the "logic" say).

Kratom or other weak opiate (less dependance risk and less potent) are great for anxiety, I dont advise GABA stuff (benzo alcohol ect), because too easily available (dependance), and at the end this will increase anxiety especially at comedown.
    "The final delusion is the belief that one has lost all delusion."

-- Maurice Chapelain

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noid View Post
    this. As an E6 there is a moment you come to be aware that your real anxiety isnt related to your next pay check or if you will go homeless next month. There is something behind fear to find, to understand something more important ect.
    OP try to ask your mom what if happen if they go homeless or friendless. What the problem. Try to dig a bit more their anxiety, because this surely hide something more important they have probably stopped to realize.
    In my experience, this fear is almost solely related to perceived personal inadequacy or weakness. This may manifest in different facets of life, but if a 6 is in trouble then this is most likely going to be the root cause.

But imo what you should not do is trying to rationnalize or logicalize the stuff, the E6 will not trust you, and sometime what they fear is the rationnalization itself (ie they dont want to choose the grey area beetween black and white on some subject whatever the "logic" say).
    Forcing an entranced reactive type (4, 6, 8) to think logically about his/her issues when they're already waist-deep in reactivity doesn't work. What must happen is that they have to burn themselves through their cycle and eventually come out of it, and what helps during these reactivity points is just a little understanding of others as to what the problem is. Perhaps more for 6s than 4s or 8s, reactive types have to have what they're reacting to confirmed by others that it is indeed a "big deal." Usually once that's assured, being able to move on from what's happened is much easier.

TIM
    INFj sub (Fi+Ne)/2
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol, perfect for passiveaggressivenotes !

-- Maurice Chapelain

TIM
    INFj sub (Fi+Ne)/2
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't like being E6, I want a new type.
    Problem of being E6 is thats the worst enneagram type. Especially when you are a man. Thats like the trash of every other enneatype, when all fall at a moment of distraction or if shit happen in their life. No real ability aside finding their problem, cant get laid, cant get money, submissive, anxious, compliance in all situation and more. Rarely discussed stuff.

-- Maurice Chapelain

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Problem of being E6 is thats the worst enneagram type. Especially when you are a man. Thats like the trash of every other enneatype, when all fall at a moment of distraction or if shit happen in their life. No real ability aside finding their problem, cant get laid, cant get money, submissive, anxious, compliance in all situation and more. Rarely discussed stuff.
    I don't get what the issue is. I enjoy my 6ness when I'm healthy, and don't when I'm not. Surely this applies to any type given their various levels of emotional well being.

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Today I had the privilege of sitting in the same room with another 6w5 who was having a mini hyper-intellectual breakdown. His issue was being unable to find inspiration for writing/finishing music, and the rest of us gave him plenty of ideas for seeking inspiration but he knee-jerkingly turned them all down. We all got the impression that he was looking for The Right Way to do something that has no inherently correct or incorrect processes, over analyzing his options in order to fit with his own personal bias that he was "stuck" and confirming for himself his own downfall. It came off that he really wasn't looking for a real answer, rather just a soapbox to bitch about his own issues. The definitive answer he was given, in my mind, was "stop thinking, more doing," a concept he seemed to have a lot of trouble wrapping his head around.

Thought this seemed relevant.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

I want more miso soup.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Banned
    TIM
    ISTP Se-LSI 6w5cp sx
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

when all fall at a moment of distraction or if shit happen in their life. No real ability aside finding their problem, cant get laid, cant get money, submissive, anxious, compliance in all situation and more.
    Wow, drink a beer dood. I've never experienced anything this bad.

Possibilities: Sounds like other issues going on to me. Definitely something more there than just six'ness.... (Possibly no cp? - just a question) Sounds like you could be a 9 to me.....(low self-esteem, obv?)
    I've found that for me, it's about branching my feelings apart from my views about myself or my abilities. "I feel this way, but feelings aren't true to me. They're just feelings. Thoughts are true, and they will prevail." Unfortunately for you, they seem to be prevailing in ways that are bringing you down.

Quote Originally Posted by Galen View Post
    Perhaps more for 6s than 4s or 8s, reactive types have to have what they're reacting to confirmed by others that it is indeed a "big deal." Usually once that's assured, being able to move on from what's happened is much easier.
    IDK, it just depends on how serious and dire the situation was, and how much experience and understanding I had with it. I find that I've gotten to the point where I know whether it really was or was not, a "big deal". I can validate myself. Reactivity also tends to become choosable and controllable - it becomes a tool for me, to be used at my own desires. I find that as I gain more experiences, less situations become ones where I can't control the outcome, and that also decreases the occurrence of "big deals". Positive perspective makes all the difference, too, and belief in one's own abilities to overcome any "hopeless" situation. If I am suffering from deadly cancer, for instance, do I want to go out panicking or do I want to go out believing? Brainwashing oneself can work.
    Last edited by jet city woman; 06-13-2012 at 05:45 AM.

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The difficulty most people have is that I often have worked out what I'm going to do or say in a situation when it all goes pear shaped. This leaves them trapped in a failure mode box. They don't like this and believe it is reactive, when the whole thing was planned to begin with for just such an eventually. 'Of course we discussed this, see page 24, paragraph 9, row 2, word 6 of this document....'

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12