Thread: Enneagram - Claudio Naranjo's Lectures on Instinctual Subtypes / Instinct Variants

Threaded View

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Default Enneagram - Claudio Naranjo's Lectures on Instinctual Subtypes / Instinct Variants

These sounded interesting - it's a recording of Naranjo's lecture on enneagram subtypes

Video Lectures by Claudio Naranjo:
    intro, type 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5PstIv0MMw
    types 1, 2, 3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKM2iA2ZjD4
    4, 5 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9XN868fDgk
    6, 7, 8 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmWKFFCGBPc
    8, 9 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcG_mSxhyIo

Intro to Naranjo's "Character and Neurosis" (pdf)
    27 Subtypes by Beatrice Chestnut (soundcloud)

Naranjo's Profiles of Instinctual Variants

This is a summary of Claudio Naranjo's presentation of enneagram types and instinctual subtypes at the International Enneagram Association Conference. Naranjo commented that he doesn't like to teach enneagram types as simply information to be memorized but that learning enneagram should be experiential, that enneagram is like a map that organizes various types and levels of spiritual work, not a spiritual practice in itself.
    Note: NN is short for "Neurotic Need".

Enneagram Type 1:

1s generally: SX are the reformers, minding others' business, perfecting others. SO are perfect already. SP worries too much. Problem of morality vs. moralism

SX-1 - An animal in heat. Anger infuses desire. "I have to have it and I have a right to it." Example: diamond mines in Africa - feeling that "I did the work to get the diamonds and what would the Africans use them for anyhow? They don't know what to do with diamonds, they don't appreciate them." The conquistador. I have a right to what is wanted. No shame in wanting what's not appropriate - asks "Why Not???" in response to questions of appropriateness. Rhinoceros of a person.

SO-1 - Unadaptable. Rigid, school teacher mentality. "I'm going to tell you how it is." Aristocratic. My way is right; others must adapt to me. Tendency to adhere to a particular way of doing things, like a scholar who is such in every sense of the word, but hangs on to a bad accent and grammar from his or her home country and refuses to adapt to new environment. The model. The one that already knows and doesn't need to learn from others. NN for superiority. Make others wrong to have power over them.

SP-1 - Passion for worrying. Not just behavioral - there's a need to worry. Need to know how it's going to happen. Fusses over details. Must have everything taken care of.

Enneagram Type 2:

2s generally: "helper" is not a good word for 2. They're not really helpful but strategically helpful. Inconsistent with offers of help.

SX-2 - Seducer. Expression of feeling and compliments to get your allegiances. Dangerous beauty - needs to have a hold of you, might eat you up. Needs to seduce, desire for other. Helen of Troy - woman for whom men went to war and lost their lives. Wants EVERYTHING - wants someone to give them everything - it might be material, might be pampering, whatever - but they want everything to come from the other. Some people of this type fill the archetype of the dumb blonde because they might not feel like they need to develop their intellect.

SO-2 - Leader type. Wants to be important. Ambition to stand above, to have influence and advantages. Stuffy. More civilized, less voluptuous than SX, more adult than SP.

SP-2 - More childlike than the other two subtypes. There is inherent cuteness, less adult. "Infantile" by psychoanaytic standards. "ME" is the most important, in a child like way, a child-like importance. Wants to be loved just for being. Their needs for love is quite naked. They use remaining little for gain. Pretend to be unadulterated.

Enneagram Type 3:

SX-3 - Wants to be good in a different sense of the word - beautiful, attractive, masculine or feminine depending on gender. They are pleasers. It doesn't have to be sexualized - it's way more subtle than that. A woman might have a passion for family and being so good, needing those close to her to see her as wonderful. Promotes and supports "key" others.

SO-3 - Corporate greed, so concentrated on doing something right that they don't see the flaws in their methods. Compassion for brilliance, doing job as best as can be done. Worldliness. Prestige - need everone's approval, not just some people's. Isn't in DSM IV as having anything wrong with this type[this note may apply to 3s in general].

SP-3 - Has the vanity of having no vanity. So determined to be good, to be how a person should be (good housewife, good father, good worker, good monk, etc) and that implies vanity. Difficult to recognize SP 3 as a 3. NN is to be good. Security - autonomy - taking care of one self. Do for self 1st. The kind of person that you go to for advice.

Enneagram Type 4:

4s generally: The subtypes among 4s are more differentiated than with other enneatypes - more striking differences between these.

SX-4 - Shameless. Even if it's shameful, I will stil get what I want, do anything to satisfy my desires. The more I complain, the more I get (this strategy works well as child, but not as adult). Viking ENVY, cannabalistic drive, competitive hate. Oral aggression - wishing mixed with anger. Sin of Cain - I envy you therefore I kill you. If I envy wealth, I start a revolution. Hateful, outspoken with anger, envy as competition.

SO-4 - laments too much, too weepy, too often the victim, self-sabotaging, oversensitive, suffering more than others. NN to suffer - a child suffers to attract mother's love/attention - the way to happiness is through tears. Depends too much on others to ease suffering. Feels guilty for any wish. Most shameful. NN for self-abasement, compares self to others and winds up at the bottom of the ladder. Uncompetitive, insisting something's wrong with me.

SP-4 - Loves suffering. Person who's learned to swallow a lot. Has learned to endure pain without wincing. "see how much I don't complain, don't ask for things - can you love me now??" Passion/NN is to endure - makes a career of enduring. Trains self in pain, like Lawrence of Arabia putting out the match with his fingers, able to endure the desert even the Arabs couldn't. Masochism.

Enneagram Type 5:

5s generally: Are the most monochromatic - it's hard to tell the subtypes apart

SX-5 - Not easy to see the difference at first. But if you engage them in conversation long enough, you'll find they are passionate about the one person (usually someone they can't find). Search for absolute love and it's too hard for others to pass the test. Very easily disappointed. Looking to trust in another - the one that will be with you and for you no matter what, beyond the level of marriage vows. Romantic. The non-5 among 5s, though not completely apparent until you touch the spot. Example is Chopin - he was described as like an oyster with powdered sugar inside. He was aristocratic & stiff, and open only to a few people in his life. But his feeling life was expressed through music.

SO-5 - More out there, totem. Need for super ideals. Relates to ideas, not people. Like Midas - wants everything he touches to be gold. Looking for super value, the elixir of meaning. Image oriented. So obsessed with idea loses engagement in life. NEED for extraordinary. Polarity between extraordinary-ness and meaninglessness. Everything is meaningless unless ultimate meaning is found. Need for ultimate instead of what is there.

SP-5 - The most 5ish 5. Passion for sanctuary/hiddenness. Needs to be walled in, hides like a wolf in its lair. Needs to keep people out thru castle walls. Problems with expressiveness - the least expressive type.

Enneagram Type 6:

SX-6 - The counterphobic, turning against fear. Strength. Bulldog. More barking than biting, fierce looking. NN for intimidation. Best defense is an attack. These are the mad men who go against danger. Naranjo told a fable about a guy who bought a gun to shoot birds that were invading his house (? something like that), then accidentally shoots his guardian angel.

SO-6 - Cold, prussian character. A little like 3 in efficiency. Duty is utmost - but that doesn't mean they actually do their duty, but that they are concerned about it all the time - NN to have those points of reference. Disconnected from intuition. Can be very precise and intolerance of ambiguity.

SP-6 - Fear of no protection. Warm, teddy bears, want to feel the warm embrace of family, where there are no enemies (family of utmost importance to this type). The alliance former - makes bargains "I won't hurt you, you won't hurt me", bringing people together in the presence of a common enemy. Allows too much ambiguity. Rabbit.

Enneagram Type 7:

SX-7 - Heavenly. Glutton for things of the higher world. Dreamer. Passion to imagine something better than [stark] reality, to embellish reality. Looking at all things with optimism of someone who's in love. Too enthusiastic. NN to go for the sweetness of the imagined over ordinary reality. Need to fantasize. Rose-colored spectacles. Oral optimistic character (I think this was a Freudian reference). "I'm OK, You're OK" - which is a therapeutic theme for anyone but a 7.

SO-7 - pure, too pure, counter-gluttony, concerned about diet, image, etc (new age fashion culture an example). "I will define myself anti-pig". They sacrifice gluttony - it's the postponement of desires for the ideal. Have gluttony for recognition of their sacrifice. Want to be seen as very, very good. Trying to be good according to social consensus. Goodness for applause. Reach ideal of perfection, but it's not innate perfectionism, it's efforted.

SP-7 - Keeper of the castle, makes alliances, family oriented, but not in the real sense of the word. The family game can be played anywhere - "I'll be family with you and expect same of you; we band together to create a mafia." Partisanship, corruption. Self-interest is behind the alliance, but it's denied. Opportunistic. Has to make every experience into an advantage. Gluttony is excessive concern for self-preservation so they make deals at every possible opportunity. There is no conversation that doesn't lead to business - nose is always in the air for opportunity.

Enneagram Type 8:

8s generally: don't seek self knowledge, gravitate towards cynicism, hardening. Love issues are not accessible. A lot of repression of tenderness & inner child

SX-8 - Anti-social tendency. Rebellious. More provocative than SO, SP. Out front saying "my values are different from the norm". Hysterical, emotional 8. Possession of the scene in total, a little like being the center. Power comes through seductiveness and fascination. Colored feathers.

SO-8 - Punitive in defense of mother. A social anti-social. Example: a mother is abused by husband, the 8 child violently defends mother - it's a violence of solidarity. Ichazo used the word "friendship" for this subtype. Naranjo's word is "complicity". Related to loyalty. Child in example becomes anti-father, therefore anti-school, anti-authority, anti-intellectual. Underneath is something like an oedipus complex - to get mother love. It's hard to see the need for mother beneath the loyalty. Hard to make love-needs conscious (this is true with everyone, but more with this type). Most loyal of the 3 subtypes. The only 8 intellectual is the social 8.

SP-8 - Satisfaction. "It's mine; I have to get it." Intolerance of frustration of desires. Most armed of 8s. Doesn't need to talk too much. Lion only moves when hungry. No nonsense, no word play. Exaggerated selfishness. Know how to do business, bargain, get upper hand over anyone. Survival is the utmost. More action, not talk.

Enneagram Type 9:

9s generally: Very loving people but deep down don't feel loved, they are resigned.

SX-9 - Union/fusion/symbiosis/confluence. Needs to be through another. Fuses with one other. Use relationship to feed your being because you don't stand on your own 2 feet - stands through the other. Suspicious tenderness. Nobodies, not living with passion. Too dispassionate. "Nowhere Man". Not noticable - wallflower. Erased from family picture. "She eats but no one has seen her chew." Betrays own needs.

SO-9 - Jolly good fellow. Light hearted, merry. Passion of participation, to feel a part of. Doesn't feel a part of to begin with, feels doesn't have what it takes to fit. Very mindful of group "other"; they fuse with the group. Good leader, unselfish, sacrificial. Passion of paying for ticket to group admission. Workaholic. Believes not to show pain or weigh others down with own woes.

SP-9 - Appetite. Sancho Panza. I eat therefore I am. I sleep, I have, I want creature comforts. No metaphysical level of thinking. Can't talk about Being. Substitution of bottle for mother's breast was so complete that they are fused with their body. "Homo economicus" - the double chinned banker. Very practical people.

Enneagram Type 10:
    ~~ just kidding

Claudio's Naranjo's 'counterphobic' or 'counter'-types

These are the enneagram type instictual subtypes that don't seem to follow the main passion of the type.
    As such, these instinct variants of enneagram types present a special difficulty in typing.

According to C. Naranjo these 'counter'-types are: Sexual (SX) 1, Self-Preservation (SP) 2, Self-Preservation (SP) 3, Sexual (SX) 5, Sexual (SX) 6, Social (SO) 7, Social (SO) 8, and Social (SO) 9.

Sexual 1: "Zeal"
    Sexual 1s focus on perfecting others; they are more reformers than perfectionists. The only 1 who is explicitly angry, they act out of anger through their intense desire to improve others and get what they want. They feel entitled in the way a reformer or zealot feels entitled: they believe that they have a right to change society and get what they want because they have a higher understanding of the truth and the reasons behind “the right way to be.” The countertype of the 1s, they are more impulsive and outwardly angry; they go against the “counter-instinctive” tendency of the 1 to repress anger and impulses.

Self Preservation 2: "Privilege"
    Self Preservation 2s “seduce” like a child in the presence of grown-ups as a way of (unconsciously) inducing others to take care of them. Everyone likes children, and the Sp 2 adopts a youthful stance as a way of getting special treatment well beyond childhood. As the countertype, it’s less easy to see pride in this 2 because they are more fearful of and ambivalent about connecting with others. The title “Privilege” reflects this 2’s desire to be loved and prioritized just for being who they are, not for what they give to others. Related to the youthful stance, these 2s are playful, irresponsible and charming.

Self Preservation 3: "Security"
    The Self Preservation 3 has a sense of vanity for having no vanity. This 3 also wants to be admired by others, but avoids openly seeking recognition. Not just satisfied with looking good, the Sp 3 strives to BE good. They are determined to be a good person; to match the perfect model of how a person should be. Being the perfect model of quality implies virtue, and virtue implies a lack of vanity. Sp 3s seek a sense of security through being good, working hard and being effective and productive.

Self Preservation 4: "Tenacity"
    The Self Preservation 4 is long-suffering. As the countertype of the 4s, Sp 4s are stoic in the face of their inner pain and they don’t share it with others as much as the other two 4s. This is a person who learns to tolerate pain and to do without as a way of earning love. Instead of dwelling in envy, Sp 4s act out their envy by working hard to get what others have and they lack. More masochistic and less melodramatic, these Fours demand a lot of themselves, have a strong need to endure and have a passion for effort.

Sexual 5: "Confidence"
    Sexual 5s express avarice through a search for exemplars of absolute love. This is a 5 with a romantic streak. The name reflects their need to find a partner who fulfills an ideal of trust. The most emotionally sensitive of the 5s, they suffer more, resemble type 4 more and have more overt desires. They have a vibrant inner life that may be expressed through artistic creation but are still cut off from others in many ways.

Sexual 6: "Strength/Beauty
    Sexual 6s express fear by going against fear; by becoming strong and intimidating. Trusting themselves more than others, these 6s have the inner programming that when you are afraid, the best defense is a good offense. They take on a powerful stance both in what they do and how they look, as a way of holding the enemy at a distance. Their anxiety is allayed through skill and readiness in the face of an attack.

Social 7: "Sacrifice"
    As the countertype, Social 7s go against gluttony through conscientious efforts to be of service to others, Conscious of wanting to avoid exploiting others, they have a need to be good and pure and to sacrifice their own needs in supporting the needs of others. They have a passion for being seen as good for the sacrifice of their own desires. They express an ascetic ideal and make a virtue of getting by on little. They express idealism and enthusiasm as a way of making themselves feel active and valued in the world.

Social 8: "Solidarity"
    Social 8s express lust and aggression in the service of others. A social antisocial person, this is the countertype of the 8s, a helpful 8 who appears less aggressive and more loyal than the other two 8 subtypes. The name “Solidarity” emphasizes their tendency to offer help when people need protection.

Social 9: "Participation"
    Social 9s fuse with groups. They act out of laziness when connecting with their own inner life by working hard to be part of the different groups in their lives. Fun-loving, sociable and congenial characters, Social 9s can be workaholics, prioritizing the group’s needs above their own. This high level of activity makes them the countertype of the three 9 subtypes.

Related links:
    Intro to Naranjo's "Character and Neurosis" (pdf)
    27 Subtypes by Beatrice Chestnut (soundcloud)
    source - http://www.enneagraminstitute.com/Fo...?TOPIC_ID=7190
    Last edited by silke; 01-29-2018 at 03:00 PM.