Thread: ILI Maintaining focus on Detail

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default [ILI] Maintaining focus on Detail

I can't maintain focus on detail; often reading what I expect to see rather than what is there.

How does it work? Fill me in!

Tyrant with a side of bacon
    TIM
    ENTJ, LIE, 8w9
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interestingly enough, I seem to suffer from the same problem.

I keep trying to step back and look at the big picture, then gloss over details that may or may not fit that big picture.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Suppressing Se in favor or Ni, when you're using Ni. Then you become aware that you've overlooked Se and I don't know what that makes you feel, but when I notice that I'm not organizing I scramble and go overboard, but it's a big fail because I'm really not good with that function.

It's a feeling that produces the statement, "oh, god, I'm still not able to achieve this even though I realize it, yet I haven't gotten it right."

You try to maintain focus on Se, as I do to Te, but when it's a DS function, ultimately it's an incapability, hence DS
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    LII-Ne, 9w1 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It'll get easier to pay attention to things as you get older.

Frankly, you won't have a choice.

Sink or swim.

TIM
    Te-ILI; 5w6 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can try using the pomodoro technique to retain focus for some time especially if the activity you need to focus on does not require team work.
    It works for me cause it consists of 25 minute sprints which are quite achievable and it gives me kind of a short term goals which is what I usually need.

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleJim View Post
    I can't maintain focus on detail; often reading what I expect to see rather than what is there.

I always make a lot of mistakes at my job because of missing details. When something has to be filled in (a paper or database) I always forget some, or put some data in the wrong place. It's my nr 1 weakness.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

intuition?

there was a debate in video of what seemed like an LSE preesnter discussing a theological essay written by an LIE. he said that the LIE writer is full of shit because he didn't name all of the historical facts and left out some references and speaking purely from supposition in LSE's view. in his words this was inadmissible.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the stupid irony here is that the russians describe intp as the characteristically detail minded type. somebody has to go back to the drawing board.

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking back at this thread I'm amazed how detail poor most of the responses were that they accidentally misconstrued 'Lacking detail focus: sic, the number was exactly 42,412' for 'Lacking attention: sic, I'm day dreaming again'.

With direct sarcasm, I can only gather that all types are crap at reading what is put in front of their faces. gg friends.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

descriptions like to focus on celebrity ILIs like Sartre and Balzac.

TIM
    ILI-Ni
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

uhh… wait…. I don't know if this answers your question but reading what you expect to see has more to do with your right brain using lexical expectation rather than your left brain using phonological mode for reading.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking back at this thread I'm amazed how detail poor most of the responses were that they accidentally misconstrued 'Lacking detail focus: sic, the number was exactly 42,412' for 'Lacking attention: sic, I'm day dreaming again'.

With direct sarcasm, I can only gather that all types are crap at reading what is put in front of their faces. gg friends.
    if you aren't lacking in attention and escaping into dreams, how come don't you see what's there and substitute for it from your imagination?

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nevero View Post
    if you aren't lacking in attention and escaping into dreams, how come don't you see what's there and substitute for it from your imagination?
    Because I can't hold precise details, e.g. numbers, how to exactly do something. But I can hold onto stories and the 'order of things' very easily?

I don't understand really, there are a lot of negatives in your post, so I wasn't sure what you were asking?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Because I can't hold precise details, e.g. numbers, how to exactly do something. But I can hold onto stories and the 'order of things' very easily?

I don't understand really, there are a lot of negatives in your post, so I wasn't sure what you were asking?
    don't you need to remember some detail to tell a story? how do you fill it in?

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nevero View Post
    don't you need to remember some detail to tell a story? how do you fill it in?
    Well, you fill in the blanks with something you can see fitting properly.

TIM
    ILI-Ni
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I took a neuroscience class this last year and my brain is just going all autistic with some of the posts in this thread. I'm having a hard time figuring out exactly what your problem is. I'll just discuss what I know. I'm fairly sure everyone is bad at focusing on detail if they aren't interested in whatever it is they are focusing on. That said, I think there are varying levels of conscientiousness that helps with keeping track of detail, which I believe is type related. My LSI brother is one of the most detail oriented people I know. I seriously have no clue how he does it. He is right up there with the LII valedictorian of my class in high school. Based on my personal experience Ti-doms are some of the most detail oriented people. I think those types just have a tendency to develop conscientiousness at a younger age due to who knows what? devalued Ni, maybe? Maybe devalued Te? Perhaps some social phenomenon? It seems to me that Ni is very much a day dreaming, big picture function. It has no use for small details and Te only would if those details serve a purpose for them.

I'm very strange with details. If a test asks me a question concerning details, I will just scour my different types of memory until I've found the answer. Like I will sit and stare at that question until some sort of cue is triggered that allows me to at least infer the answer. That's also how I study for tests: by just finding different ways to store information whether its mnemonic, visual, repeating it back to me, or what have you. I only do that for remembering things I know I will have to remember, when it's larger bodies of information I'm a bit lazier but I still stick to that method. I'm only good with details in that I'm compulsive about them. If I write a paper I will spend hours upon hours until everything is finely tuned and to my liking.

In terms of remembering details in the short term, apparently working memory is something that is set at birth and there is no way to change it. Different people have better or worse working memory and I would figure this would correspond to retention of detail.

Our long term memory is actually very bad with details. Even if we are self assured that we know the details we will often times be wrong. Few outliers aside of course.

Did that answer any of your questions?

When you talk about holding precise details, do you mean when you intentionally try to hold them or unintentionally retaining them and trying to recall them later? The former deals with working memory. The latter is something everyone is probably bad at (though in varying degrees).

Memory in the brain is stored diffusely with types of memories corresponding to certain brain areas. Like visual memory is stored in the inferotemporal cortex I believe. Prefrontal cortex deals with working memory and is responsible for remembering the 'order of things' such as a cook using a recipe.

A dusty and dreadful charade. Scapegrace's Avatar
    TIM
    ill
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dude, shut the fuck up.
    "[Scapegrace,] I don't know how anyone can stand such a sinister and mean individual as you." - Maritsa Darmandzhyan

Brought to you by socionix.com

TIM
    ILI-Ni
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

reading is optional.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Scapegrace View Post
    Dude, shut the fuck up.

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Neuralia View Post
    I took a neuroscience class this last year and my brain is just going all autistic with some of the posts in this thread. I'm having a hard time figuring out exactly what your problem is. I'll just discuss what I know. I'm fairly sure everyone is bad at focusing on detail if they aren't interested in whatever it is they are focusing on. That said, I think there are varying levels of conscientiousness that helps with keeping track of detail, which I believe is type related. My LSI brother is one of the most detail oriented people I know. I seriously have no clue how he does it. He is right up there with the LII valedictorian of my class in high school. Based on my personal experience Ti-doms are some of the most detail oriented people. I think those types just have a tendency to develop conscientiousness at a younger age due to who knows what? devalued Ni, maybe? Maybe devalued Te? Perhaps some social phenomenon? It seems to me that Ni is very much a day dreaming, big picture function. It has no use for small details and Te only would if those details serve a purpose for them.

I'm very strange with details. If a test asks me a question concerning details, I will just scour my different types of memory until I've found the answer. Like I will sit and stare at that question until some sort of cue is triggered that allows me to at least infer the answer. That's also how I study for tests: by just finding different ways to store information whether its mnemonic, visual, repeating it back to me, or what have you. I only do that for remembering things I know I will have to remember, when it's larger bodies of information I'm a bit lazier but I still stick to that method. I'm only good with details in that I'm compulsive about them. If I write a paper I will spend hours upon hours until everything is finely tuned and to my liking.

In terms of remembering details in the short term, apparently working memory is something that is set at birth and there is no way to change it. Different people have better or worse working memory and I would figure this would correspond to retention of detail.

Our long term memory is actually very bad with details. Even if we are self assured that we know the details we will often times be wrong. Few outliers aside of course.

Did that answer any of your questions?

When you talk about holding precise details, do you mean when you intentionally try to hold them or unintentionally retaining them and trying to recall them later? The former deals with working memory. The latter is something everyone is probably bad at (though in varying degrees).

Memory in the brain is stored diffusely with types of memories corresponding to certain brain areas. Like visual memory is stored in the inferotemporal cortex I believe. Prefrontal cortex deals with working memory and is responsible for remembering the 'order of things' such as a cook using a recipe.
    LOL

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Because I can't hold precise details, e.g. numbers, how to exactly do som
    Usually that's just because you didn't put much effort into memorizing those. I know because I used to be bad at it, and decided to learn the strategies of people who are actually good at it. Normally, they simply spend more time memorizing details.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Honorary Ballsack
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Last edited by Skepsis; 09-05-2015 at 03:06 AM.
    Important to note! People who share "indentical" socionics TIMs won't necessarily appear to be very similar, since they have have different backgrounds, experiences, capabilities, genetics, as well as different types in other typological systems (enneagram, instinctual variants, etc.) all of which also have a sway on compatibility and identification. Thus, Socionics type "identicals" won't necessarily be identical i.e. highly similar to each other, and not all people of "dual" types will seem interesting, attractive and appealing to each other.

A Place within a Place in the Universe Where they will never suspect. *Cackles like a witch.*
    TIM
    EII H-Ne
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can focus pretty well on the big picture/ general concepts. When it comes to details, if there is an association technique that goes with them, I can remember them better, but I need to go over them multiple times. I also may make random connections and my mind may jump to a certain aspect. When it comes to the tiny details, it gets somewhat disorienting for me, and things go over my head. If the tinier pieces don't seem to relate to the whole, it gets lost on me. I often need to be told by others that I missed out, because if I don't keep my mind tuned, it's something my brain tends to naturally gloss over, and it's not out of laziness.

In the workplace when doing a task for the first time, this is one reason why I mess up. If I watch someone doing something once, there is a lot that I miss out on. I need to do detail-oriented tasks multiple times in order to get the hang of them. Taking notes in class and reading over the notes over and over again helps. If I don't take the time to go back to them, little details are prone to go in one ear and out the other.
    xII se PoLR, 9w1-5w4-2w3 sp/so

Phlegmatic-Melancholic |RCoAI| Fascinator| Newtype-secondary| LEFVl|

#JusticeforJeb_, Water Sheep did nothing wrong, High Inquisitor Of Council of Water Sheep and Water Sheep's protector

Make things right? Who are we to decide when things are right and when they need to be fixed?