Thread: ILI Maintaining focus on Detail

Hybrid View

TIM
    ILI-Ni
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I took a neuroscience class this last year and my brain is just going all autistic with some of the posts in this thread. I'm having a hard time figuring out exactly what your problem is. I'll just discuss what I know. I'm fairly sure everyone is bad at focusing on detail if they aren't interested in whatever it is they are focusing on. That said, I think there are varying levels of conscientiousness that helps with keeping track of detail, which I believe is type related. My LSI brother is one of the most detail oriented people I know. I seriously have no clue how he does it. He is right up there with the LII valedictorian of my class in high school. Based on my personal experience Ti-doms are some of the most detail oriented people. I think those types just have a tendency to develop conscientiousness at a younger age due to who knows what? devalued Ni, maybe? Maybe devalued Te? Perhaps some social phenomenon? It seems to me that Ni is very much a day dreaming, big picture function. It has no use for small details and Te only would if those details serve a purpose for them.

I'm very strange with details. If a test asks me a question concerning details, I will just scour my different types of memory until I've found the answer. Like I will sit and stare at that question until some sort of cue is triggered that allows me to at least infer the answer. That's also how I study for tests: by just finding different ways to store information whether its mnemonic, visual, repeating it back to me, or what have you. I only do that for remembering things I know I will have to remember, when it's larger bodies of information I'm a bit lazier but I still stick to that method. I'm only good with details in that I'm compulsive about them. If I write a paper I will spend hours upon hours until everything is finely tuned and to my liking.

In terms of remembering details in the short term, apparently working memory is something that is set at birth and there is no way to change it. Different people have better or worse working memory and I would figure this would correspond to retention of detail.

Our long term memory is actually very bad with details. Even if we are self assured that we know the details we will often times be wrong. Few outliers aside of course.

Did that answer any of your questions?

When you talk about holding precise details, do you mean when you intentionally try to hold them or unintentionally retaining them and trying to recall them later? The former deals with working memory. The latter is something everyone is probably bad at (though in varying degrees).

Memory in the brain is stored diffusely with types of memories corresponding to certain brain areas. Like visual memory is stored in the inferotemporal cortex I believe. Prefrontal cortex deals with working memory and is responsible for remembering the 'order of things' such as a cook using a recipe.

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Neuralia View Post
    I took a neuroscience class this last year and my brain is just going all autistic with some of the posts in this thread. I'm having a hard time figuring out exactly what your problem is. I'll just discuss what I know. I'm fairly sure everyone is bad at focusing on detail if they aren't interested in whatever it is they are focusing on. That said, I think there are varying levels of conscientiousness that helps with keeping track of detail, which I believe is type related. My LSI brother is one of the most detail oriented people I know. I seriously have no clue how he does it. He is right up there with the LII valedictorian of my class in high school. Based on my personal experience Ti-doms are some of the most detail oriented people. I think those types just have a tendency to develop conscientiousness at a younger age due to who knows what? devalued Ni, maybe? Maybe devalued Te? Perhaps some social phenomenon? It seems to me that Ni is very much a day dreaming, big picture function. It has no use for small details and Te only would if those details serve a purpose for them.

I'm very strange with details. If a test asks me a question concerning details, I will just scour my different types of memory until I've found the answer. Like I will sit and stare at that question until some sort of cue is triggered that allows me to at least infer the answer. That's also how I study for tests: by just finding different ways to store information whether its mnemonic, visual, repeating it back to me, or what have you. I only do that for remembering things I know I will have to remember, when it's larger bodies of information I'm a bit lazier but I still stick to that method. I'm only good with details in that I'm compulsive about them. If I write a paper I will spend hours upon hours until everything is finely tuned and to my liking.

In terms of remembering details in the short term, apparently working memory is something that is set at birth and there is no way to change it. Different people have better or worse working memory and I would figure this would correspond to retention of detail.

Our long term memory is actually very bad with details. Even if we are self assured that we know the details we will often times be wrong. Few outliers aside of course.

Did that answer any of your questions?

When you talk about holding precise details, do you mean when you intentionally try to hold them or unintentionally retaining them and trying to recall them later? The former deals with working memory. The latter is something everyone is probably bad at (though in varying degrees).

Memory in the brain is stored diffusely with types of memories corresponding to certain brain areas. Like visual memory is stored in the inferotemporal cortex I believe. Prefrontal cortex deals with working memory and is responsible for remembering the 'order of things' such as a cook using a recipe.
    LOL