TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default spelling

state your type and if you're good at spelling

I'm average at spelling, but my vocabulary exceeds my spelling prowess. for this reason, I often have to look up the spelling of words. sometimes I misspell common words, but I don't think I do so anymore than average.
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm an above average speller, but sometimes I flip letters around.
    All Hail The Flying Spaghetti Monster

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Being a good speller means having a dictionary handy. Honestly, there's rarely a situation where your 'on-the-fly spelling' will become of importance.
    asd

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by heath
    Being a good speller means having a dictionary handy.
    All Hail The Flying Spaghetti Monster

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Being a good speller means having a dictionary handy.
    That, or having a Macintosh (you've got to love the system-pervasive spell checker, a spell checker which is always there for you.)

Either that, or you're a foreigner, and have learned English as a second language. 99.99 percent of the time, I don't need a spell checker. Even now, it is spell-checking in German, so that practically all words are marked as misspelled
    XXXx <-- almost a beer

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to win spelling Bee's as a kid. I've always been a good speller and have very rarely even used a spell checker. estj.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can spell accurately only and only if I can utilize the word in a context. If I have to spell a la "Please spell your name letter by letter", I terribly suck.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to be a great speller. And then I watched my daughter struggling with reading, and tried to find out why. I managed to totally confuse myself regarding spelling.

Richard, ISFp, uses his computer spellchecker ALL the time.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Creepy-pokeball

I am a walking dictionary. My data bank received the word turd yesterday. It made me happy.

Creepy-aurora_faerie

bad

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hate spellcheck. You know there's something wrong when you have to go in and fix everything that spellcheck gets wrong.: "Tempers will flair." <- really? How wide do they get?

I'm an o.k. speller. Slightly above average, I guess. I can spell a lot of impressive and complicated words, but will put a a "t" in "equipment" or an extra "c" in "across."

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly, there's rarely a situation where your 'on-the-fly spelling' will become of importance.

he died with a felafel
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmm...wouldn't this question apply only to native-speakers...of languages that place huge importance on spelling? my native language is very phonetic - spelling's never an issue, no one ever asks "could you spell that for me?". english's a whole different story, but then, again, i'm not a native speaker.

he died with a felafel
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Herzy
    Quote Originally Posted by he died with a felafel
    hmm...wouldn't this question apply only to native-speakers...of languages that place huge importance on spelling? my native language is very phonetic - spelling's never an issue, no one ever asks "could you spell that for me?". english's a whole different story, but then, again, i'm not a native speaker.
    What is your native language?
    the answer'd defeat the point of anonymity in the forum - we're so few everyone'd know my name if I told ya :wink:

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm an above average speller.

INTj.
    "To become is just like falling asleep. You never know exactly when it happens, the transition, the magic, and you think, if you could only recall that exact moment of crossing the line then you would understand everything; you would see it all"

"Angels dancing on the head of a pin dissolve into nothingness at the bedside of a dying child."

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can spell every word I know (or 99% accuracy.)

INTp.
    Binary or dichotomous systems, although regulated by a principle, are among the most artificial arrangements that have ever been invented. -- William Swainson, A Treatise on the Geography and Classification of Animals (1835)

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cracka
    I used to win spelling Bee's as a kid. I've always been a good speller and have very rarely even used a spell checker. estj.
    same here. state champ! a few times! (god.)
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

spelling has never been particularly difficult for me.

i only misspell the occasional wirrdh.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a university degree as a Swedish language consultant, and correct spelin is defenitly one of my strongest virtues.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by implied
    Quote Originally Posted by cracka
    same here. state champ! a few times! (god.)
    That's awesome!
    My big spelling bee was when I lived in Germany as an army brat and got to represent my school against all the other american schools in Germany when i was about 9. I don't remember what word I missed to get put out but it was such an easy word and I actually cried on the way home because I forgot one letter in it or something.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I'm careful I'm pretty good at spelling, but honestly I don't care enough to be that careful.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't spell that well in English, so I use the Google search bar spellcheck, whenever I remember to click on the "check" button.

Lately I can write very long posts with no mistakes, but there are a few words that I always manage to get wrong and a certain type of mistakes. (neccesery, cought, luxorious, farmacy, etc)

My Estonian spelling is almost worse, because I rarely write anything in Estonian (except for a grocery list)
    EIE, ENFj, intuitive subtype.
    E3 (probably 3w4)

Cool ILI hubbys are better than LSIs any time!

Old blog: http://firsttimeinusa.blogspot.com/
    New blog: http://having-a-kid.blogspot.com/

Creepy-bg

well I guess I'm the only native English speaker who's a horrible speller... I've actually taken spelling tests in school and gotten 0% right I think it's because I've never been able to bring myself to study and memorizing spelling requires it. Frankly I don't much care, as long as people understand what I meant it's good enough for me. I find that as long as I keep to simple words I'm allright. Not that I have a small vocabulary... I just don't know how to spell any of the larger words. (also in case you haven't noticed I'm horrible with tenses. I will be mixed them up all the time. I blame this one on the drugs )

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bionicgoat
    well I guess I'm the only native English speaker who's a horrible speller... I've actually taken spelling tests in school and gotten 0% right I think it's because I've never been able to bring myself to study and memorizing spelling requires it. Frankly I don't much care, as long as people understand what I meant it's good enough for me. I find that as long as I keep to simple words I'm allright. Not that I have a small vocabulary... I just don't know how to spell any of the larger words. (also in case you haven't noticed I'm horrible with tenses. I will be mixed them up all the time. I blame this one on the drugs )
    You just see too many possible ways of spelling each word. :wink:
    EIE, ENFj, intuitive subtype.
    E3 (probably 3w4)

Cool ILI hubbys are better than LSIs any time!

Old blog: http://firsttimeinusa.blogspot.com/
    New blog: http://having-a-kid.blogspot.com/