Thread: Which types really are into personality theory?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Which types really are into personality theory?

I'm pretty sure I'm an ENTP and lately I've really been looking in depth into MBTI and Socionics and even told a bunch of my friends to see what type they were. Some were much more interested than others, and some even said that they can't be classified according to the tests.

To me, this personality stuff seems very relevant and has helped give me some perspective on the way I look at things and also on personal interactions, but some other people I know just acknowledge it because I bring it up, but don't really show interest in personality stuff.

Have any of you found that certain types are more interested in personality theory than others?

In general I've found more N's interested, but I had a really long, interesting conversation with an ESTJ about it who seemed very intrigued.

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess people with open mind and interest in psychology and world of human relations in general, in science, abstract mind because first you need ability to understand the thoery before you start applying it.
    School of Associative socionics: http://socionics4you.com/

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Types? I'd say any person wants to understand one the most unique parts(erm, people) of the world around them will take an interest in personality theory. Also count the self-obsessed, the other people obsessed, those trying to 'find themselves in the dorkiest way possible,' maybe even people looking for love. All sorts of different types in that bunch. Self obsessed are obviously ESTps, other people obsessed are obviously ENFps, those trying to find themselves in the dorkiest way possible are obviously xNTxs, those looking for love, well, everyone's after that(they are trying to use 4 letters to 4 letter someone).
    asd

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have any of you found that certain types are more interested in personality theory than others?
    I'm quite sure that ENFp is the most common type among MBTI practitioners. But they are often not that good at the theoretical parts. The know how to use the model to help people, but they are usually not interested in the theory. They only use the model as a tool. Maybe that is one reason they have not noticed or bothered to correct its internal flaws.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Socionics created primarily by Aushra Augusta: an 'ILE' alpha quadra member.

MBTI created primarily by Isabel Briggs: an 'INFP' type (Idealist).

To all intents and purposes we can loosely equate an MBTI 'INFP' to a Socionics 'IEI' beta quadra type. As far as i know, since we have two incompatible models it does not equate to a straightforward match.

It would seem to me that Introverted iNtuitive types have more interest generally then Extroverted Sensory types.

To answer the original question...

I have no concrete answer apart from a relative conclusion made in blue.
    myspace.com/relationship_doctor

"It is the mark of an educated man to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" -Aristotle
    "A person acts most in 'type' be it personal or relational when stressed or under duress." -Lewis (2006)

XXX/xXXx i.e. unclassified and 'thinking outside the box' until i decide to 'retire' to absolute freedom.

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

all the INTP's I know of, are highly interested in MBTI/socionics

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Although we've never really had time to discuss it in any great detail, my ESFp workmate seems interested in personality type theory. I'm not sure how far she'd study it if she knew more, but she seems genuinely intrigued when I bring the subject up.
    ILI (Indescribable Lovemaking Inc.)
    5w4 so/sx

"IP temperament! Because today's concerns are tomorrow's indifferences!"

Lord Fnorgle's Domain - A slowly growing collection of music, poetry and literature.
    Stickam music performances

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus
    I'm quite sure that ENFp is the most common type among MBTI practitioners. But they are often not that good at the theoretical parts. The know how to use the model to help people, but they are usually not interested in the theory. They only use the model as a tool. Maybe that is one reason they have not noticed or bothered to correct its internal flaws.
    Yeah i would bet ENFp's are among the most likely to be interested. We often have perplexing lives, we like self improvement and we are interested in people.

Maybe that is one reason they have not noticed or bothered to correct its internal flaws.
    Yeah unfortunately ENFp's aren't generally that good at inconsistencies in systems etc. Years ago i used to follow MBTi and even back then i wasn't happy with some parts of it. I agreed with the ENFp description for instance, but the relationships made no sense whatsoever to me. When i found socionics it was love at first sight :wink:

An ENFp doesn't need to know all the theoretical bits and peices to be good at personality theory etc. For instance i would say we are among the sharpest typers once we are trained. I seem to be able to type many people almost instantaneously now.

An ESTj once explained he thinks socionics is bullshit and flawed. He liked that i was under the illusion we were "activity friends" though LOL.
    My ISTj dad just ignores me when i talk about it.
    ENFp (Unsure of Subtype)

"And the day came when the risk it took to remain closed in a bud became more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anaïs Nin

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IRL, I have explained Socionics at length to

an ENTp
    two ISFps
    and an INFj.

The ENTp has become thoroughly annoyed with Socionics, and I could really only see the INFj taking a serious interest in it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would have thought intuitive types would be most drawn as they have a need to understand things as a whole. ENTP is candidate for most interested due to PoLR. For an ENTP socionics can save a lot of heartache and "oil" a lot of cogs. I doubt there is an ENTP out there who hasn't at one time or another been dismayed by the state of their social situation and not having a clue as its cause. For an ENTP Socionics effectively gives the game away. Similarly INTP with PoLR may find a lot of use for Socionics. ENFP would probably be next ... theirs would be a thirst to make an already astute faculty in reading (and utilizing the skills of) others even better.
    ILE

TIM
    IEE-Ne
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People who for some reason need answers to their problems is likely to be interested. It's not type related, I think, altough some types tend to look for answers reading.

If I were to make a list, I would say that introverts are more likely to be interested than extroverts, intuitives than sensors and ethicals than logicals. So:

1.- INFp
    2.- INTp
    3.- INFj
    4.- ENFp
    5.- INTj
    [] | NP | 3[6w5]8 so/sp | Type thread | My typing of forum members | Johari (Strengths) | Nohari (Weaknesses)

You know what? You're an individual, and that makes people nervous. And it's gonna keep making people nervous for the rest of your life.
    - Ole Golly from Harriet, the spy.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mikemex
    People who for some reason need answers to their problems is likely to be interested. It's not type related, I think, altough some types tend to look for answers reading.

If I were to make a list, I would say that introverts are more likely to be interested than extroverts, intuitives than sensors and ethicals than logicals. So:

1.- INFp
    2.- INTp
    3.- INFj
    4.- ENFp
    5.- INTj
    Aside from the order, that list seems accurate. Socionics is inherently Alpha-biased.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thehotelambush
    Socionics is inherently Alpha-biased.
    Why?

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eunice
    Quote Originally Posted by thehotelambush
    Socionics is inherently Alpha-biased.
    Why?
    A la Rick: "[Socionics] is a typically Alpha Quadra field with lots of explanatory value on a theoretical level but significant difficulties in building an empirical base."

http://www.socionics.us/celebrities/ile_2.shtml

Plus the mere borderline-ness of it is attractive to Alpha NTs. That is not to say that Delta NFs are less inclined to be socionists, it just makes it more appealing to Alpha NTs than other social sciences.

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BLauritson
    Although we've never really had time to discuss it in any great detail, my ESFp workmate seems interested in personality type theory. I'm not sure how far she'd study it if she knew more, but she seems genuinely intrigued when I bring the subject up.
    I also know of an example of ESFP woman that is interested in MBTI/socionics and specially the relations part of the theory.

Although I also know of an example of ESFP that started to giggle immidiately and changed the subject.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket
    I would have thought intuitive types would be most drawn as they have a need to understand things as a whole. ENTP is candidate for most interested due to PoLR. For an ENTP socionics can save a lot of heartache and "oil" a lot of cogs. I doubt there is an ENTP out there who hasn't at one time or another been dismayed by the state of their social situation and not having a clue as its cause. For an ENTP Socionics effectively gives the game away. Similarly INTP with PoLR may find a lot of use for Socionics. ENFP would probably be next ... theirs would be a thirst to make an already astute faculty in reading (and utilizing the skills of) others even better.
    spot on. i agree with this.

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

personality theories is interest of mostly INT types because as they are the most socially percieved "weird", they are the most concerned by personality theories... eventually, they can be INF or ENT