Thread: sense of time

Creepy-bg

Default sense of time

How is your sense of time? Personally my internal timer is amazingly exact. For instance whenever I cook something in the microwave or oven 9 times out of 10 I walk into the kitchen within a few seconds of the timer going off. It's pretty much a subconscious thing. I'll be doing something else, watching tv or whatever, and it's like this little light goes off in my mind coming out of nowhere saying "check the food". The amount of time doesn't seem to effect this sense, It happens for 20 minutes just as accurately as 2 or 3.

As far as my ability to tell time it's not as refined as my internal timer. I'm usually able to guess it within 15 minutes or so, but nothing as spot on as the timer thing.

So if and are time directed it makes sense that these abilities would be type related. I think would probably correspond to the timer ability while is for time telling.

what do you think? Are those with N in the ego better timekeepers? How are your timing abilities?

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only timing I am good at is waking up before the alarm clock goes off. This however, was drilled into me since 5th grade. I had one of those alarm clocks that didn't beep, it just had this awfully loud sick sounding BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AA
    thing that wouldn't stop until the alarm was turned off. It never failed to scare the crap out of me when it went off. Kind of like being awakened by a semi horn going off right next to your ear, as if the place is about to be bombed or something. It didn't take long before I started waking up within a minute or two before it was set to go off.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Creepy-bg

I remember seeing once on the news this girl who one an inventing award for this alarm clock she made. It looked kind of like one of those bank cylinders that you use at the drive thru. It was basically a normal digital alarm clock with two wheels on each side. So when the alarm goes off this clock takes off across the room and runs away from you. It had some light sensors on it too so it would seek out dark places like under the bed to run to. Of course the idea being that by the time you finally chase the thing down and hit the snooze your already awake.

You know I worked for a few years as a donut maker and break baker. I wonder if my timing sense comes more from that than functions. I can't remember how I was at catching timers before that.

I'm not sure how this would effect it all but I've never worn a watch. I find the feeling of wearing one too odd, also I tend to be annoyed by people who are always checking their watches or watching the clock. Perhaps by never becoming relient on watches I've developed my abilities? I'm not sure that seems counter intuitive to me somehow though. Like people who always wear a watch and pay attention to time would have synchronized their minds to standard timekeeping more than those who don't.

This doesn't have anything to do with the topic but I also have a very developed sense of direction and internal mapping ability. This also is a very subconsious process. I don't really pay attention to landmarks or things like that, I just go where I need to go. At concerts I've always been the one in the group who gets us back to the car no matter how twisted my head is.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't have to set an alarm. I just wake up when I need to. This is good cos I can't stand BBBBZZZZZZ.
    Entp
    ILE

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd like to think I have a pretty good sense of time...
    Bionicgoat would think I'm irritating since i do always wear a watch and check it often...what's even better is that sometimes if i'm in a crowd or around people i'll even keep looking at my phone to see the time, even if i have a watch on...lol
    I'm wierd I guess. :wink:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a horrible sense of time. It seems like I blink and two hours have passed
    All Hail The Flying Spaghetti Monster

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've always been naturally very good at timing, as Bonicogoat. I don't recall specific traning. I have always been like this.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Creepy-bg

Quote Originally Posted by cracka
    Bionicgoat would think I'm irritating since i do always wear a watch and check it often...what's even better is that sometimes if i'm in a crowd or around people i'll even keep looking at my phone to see the time, even if i have a watch on...lol
    No I'm not bothered by other people wearing watches and checking them often. It pretty much just amuses me. In a way I can't help thinking people like that are slaves to time.

Personally I never stress on being late or how long things take to happen. Every job I've had my bosses have had to deal with this mixed blessing. I tend to show up for work consistantly 15 to 30 minutes late, I know what time it is... I just don't much care. The thing that saves me is that I'm an extreamly fast worker. The pace I natually go at gets the work of 2 or 3 employees done. At the same time I'm always improving my methods and looking for ways to refine the process so that my work can get done even faster. For instance when I started making Donuts way back when the process as tought to me took about 6 hours from start to finish. After a year of doing the job I had rifined it down to a two hour process that produced donuts of much higher quality than the person who had trained me. Every job I've had is the same story.

I've tried to slow down and milk the clock but it just doesn't work for me. I can't make myself do it. It's just too damn boring.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bionicgoat
    Quote Originally Posted by cracka
    No I'm not bothered by other people wearing watches and checking them often. It pretty much just amuses me. In a way I can't help thinking people like that are slaves to time.

Personally I never stress on being late or how long things take to happen. Every job I've had my bosses have had to deal with this mixed blessing. I tend to show up for work consistantly 15 to 30 minutes late, I know what time it is... I just don't much care. The thing that saves me is that I'm an extreamly fast worker. The pace I natually go at gets the work of 2 or 3 employees done. At the same time I'm always improving my methods and looking for ways to refine the process so that my work can get done even faster. For instance when I started making Donuts way back when the process as tought to me took about 6 hours from start to finish. After a year of doing the job I had rifined it down to a two hour process that produced donuts of much higher quality than the person who had trained me. Every job I've had is the same story.

I've tried to slow down and milk the clock but it just doesn't work for me. I can't make myself do it. It's just too damn boring.
    I feel like the world is over if i'm late for anything...lol I can totally relate to your entire story other than that. I've heard many times how "efficient" I am as a worker when it comes to getting things done compared to other people doing the same things in the same time frame.

Creepy-bg

Quote Originally Posted by FDG
    I've always been naturally very good at timing, as Bonicogoat. I don't recall specific traning. I have always been like this.
    Do you notice a difference between your ability to know the correct clock time and the ability to recognise that a specific interval of time has passed?

Does it sound right that would be connected to knowing the correct clock time and to the internal timer?

@Cracka I wonder how you would cope without the watch. I wonder if a lifetime of clockwatching trains the minds timing abilities or does it erode them.

Creepy-pokeball

I estimate time. I dont wear a watch. I have a cell but I rarely look at it. I hate it. I usually use the clock on my computer or jeep. Im usually on time for things like work/class +/- 5 mins but Im more relaxed on other things. I do get rather annoyed if someone complains about a few minutes lateness (like the ISTj I know! dont get me started!!!). I just want to say, "Hey, shut up. We're alive, everything is okay and we'll do just fine. We're not gonna explode~!" ... but Im nice instead

he died with a felafel
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

terrible sense of time!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i have a fair sense of time.

nonetheless, i wear a watch. always. i'm not wearing it right now but it's physically about two inches from my left hand as i type this.

Creepy-pokeball

I dont like jewelry/watches/ties around my skin. I hate the feeling Ive tried wearing watches several times.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have no internal clock, and like Jadae I hate to wear any kind of jewelry and could never stand to wear a watch.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have burned many cakes, because I forgot myself doing something else.

I'm not that good at telling the time. I wear a watch practically all the time, even if don't have to go anywhere. I like knowing the time, even if I don't live by it.

-I go to the bus stop when I feel like it and hope the bus comes soon
    -I turn on the TV at a random moment and just see what's playing (even if I know that movies usually start at 9.30.)
    etc... But I still like knowing what time it is.
    EIE, ENFj, intuitive subtype.
    E3 (probably 3w4)

Cool ILI hubbys are better than LSIs any time!

Old blog: http://firsttimeinusa.blogspot.com/
    New blog: http://having-a-kid.blogspot.com/

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG
    Do you notice a difference between your ability to know the correct clock time and the ability to recognise that a specific interval of time has passed?

Does it sound right that would be connected to knowing the correct clock time and to the internal timer?
    I don't really know how to answer. I'm good at both.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

time doesn´t always have to be related to clock-time/scheduling, either. i remember reading a description of the ENFj where it was said that ENFjs are supposedly able to know intuitively how long to hold a note for maximum expression of (through music or the like.) i could see working in that way, too. you´ll note that in the expressive pauses of a few INFps, as well. time can also be related to tact.

mine´s good, but i still wear a watch. i can usually guess how long it will take for the bus to arrive, or if i can afford to go home mid day, etc. i can´t say that it poses me any huge problems.
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From BG:
    What interrests me is whether the ability to keep track of the current time without consulting a clock could be connected to strong Ne (black triangle) and if the ability to measure a time interval (in the sense of a timer) could be connected to strong Ni (white triangle). Also does it make sense that if Ni is a subconscious function (in the id block) then the timer ability would happen subconsiously.
    My intuitive guess would be that this is little related to any of the functions, since the skill in question is so specific. By analogy one might also speculate that since is related to territorial expansion and forcefulness, types with strong should have a stronger punch than those with weak .

I'd recommend actually creating an experiment and sharing your findings. Ask a bunch of people you know to sit down and tell you when they think a minute has passed. You time them and try to see some patterns in the results. We can then help you interpret them.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: sense of time

How is your sense of time? Personally my internal timer is amazingly exact. For instance whenever I cook something in the microwave or oven 9 times out of 10 I walk into the kitchen within a few seconds of the timer going off. It's pretty much a subconscious thing. I'll be doing something else, watching tv or whatever, and it's like this little light goes off in my mind coming out of nowhere saying "check the food". The amount of time doesn't seem to effect this sense, It happens for 20 minutes just as accurately as 2 or 3.

As far as my ability to tell time it's not as refined as my internal timer. I'm usually able to guess it within 15 minutes or so, but nothing as spot on as the timer thing.

So if and are time directed it makes sense that these abilities would be type related. I think would probably correspond to the timer ability while is for time telling.

what do you think? Are those with N in the ego better timekeepers? How are your timing abilities?
    I think what you are saying is true for intuitive types in Gamma and Delta since they both have +Ni as strengths.