Thread: Enneagram Tritypes: Do they exist?

Hybrid View

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    Personally I think its obvious that everyone has each of the centers, so it makes sense that there is a solution for each problem; it's how the brain works...I tend to think that they align with the instincts; for example I believe I am sx 3w4, so 8w7, sp 6w5.
    Are you attaching an instinct to each type, or are you ordering them in terms of overall priority?

386 would work for you I think. You do have a sort of reactive-triad flare about you, although that could be mimicked by being assertive-triad. Or both, or something.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Galen View Post
    Are you attaching an instinct to each type, or are you ordering them in terms of overall priority?
    Both.

386 would work for you I think. You do have a sort of reactive-triad flare about you, although that could be mimicked by being assertive-triad. Or both, or something.
    Well 7w8/8w7 was actually my initial self-typing, 7 and 8 are the types with whose descriptions I identify most easily. It took a bit of work to realize exactly how I am a 3. I do identify with the motives of an 8; my mother happens to be an 8 and from what I've heard the children of 8s are frequently 8s as well.

IMO the whole concept of tritypes is both intuitively fitting and plays out well in real life, to the point of constructing very coherent archetypes as the author of the article referenced in this thread has fleshed out rather well IMO; not what I would call perfect but he has the right idea IMO. Personally I don't see it so much as a meshing of a types traits as an interweaving of the instincts that can be observed rather than dissected; its more about resulting energies than mixing and matching traits, just like the original idea of Enneagram typing.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Enneagram Tritypes make sense

Since we exist in "consensus reality" nothing can be said to exist on this level because everything is in a state of change. However, for the past 22 years, I have studied the Enneagram and always thought that something was missing. The Tritype system intuitively made sense to me the moment it was introduced. As a counterphobic Six 6w5, my Tritype of 483 describes the counterphobic part very well. The 8 is in your face when it feels threatened, and the 3 wants to prove itself in situations it accepts as a worthwhile challenge. Both of those tendencies apply to this counterphobic Six. Tonight our Enneagram discussion group will discuss the Tritype system as it applies to new people coming to the group. I am interested in other experiences on this topic. - Thanks and Peace - John

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by joh0369 View Post
    Nothing can be said to exist on this level because everything is in a state of change.
    Well yes, everything is in a perpetual state of transformation, motion, and change but nothing simply surges up out of nothing without having antecedents that existed before. Nothing ever disappears without a trace, in the sense that it gives rise to absolutely nothing existing at later times, as long you're talking philosophy/physics.

However, for the past 22 years, I have studied the Enneagram and always thought that something was missing. The Tritype system intuitively made sense to me the moment it was introduced. As a counterphobic Six 6w5, my Tritype of 483 describes the counterphobic part very well.
    You haven't studied it long enough. It doesn't make any sense or I misread something somewhere. For example, your main type is 6 as you claim and you, let's say, identify with 3 and 8 a bit - that means your tritype is 6-3-8. Not 6w5-3-8 or 4-8-3. But, like I said, I could misread stuff and blow it out of proportion, so watch out.

TIM
    Fi-SLE 3w9 so/sp
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tritypes are one of the few things (along with 2012 apocalypse and aliens-building-the-pyramids) that make me rage. If you really study the enneagram, it doesn't make sense. It's like, "Lets take my main type that fits me, and then add two other types that superficially fit me on a stereotypical/behavioral level". Most of the time, if you get someone to describe "why" their tritype fits them, what they list off for their other two types actually fit very well within the defense mechanisms of the main type.

Mentioned
    760 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FoxOnStilts View Post
    Tritypes are one of the few things (along with 2012 apocalypse and aliens-building-the-pyramids) that make me rage. If you really study the enneagram, it doesn't make sense. It's like, "Lets take my main type that fits me, and then add two other types that superficially fit me on a stereotypical/behavioral level". Most of the time, if you get someone to describe "why" their tritype fits them, what they list off for their other two types actually fit very well within the defense mechanisms of the main type.
    I don't mind tritypes, but imo Enneagram is a trinary system which means it's either got something extraneous or it's missing something.

You could look at Enneagram and see the vague shape of ego/super-ego/id where one of the pieces is simply unexplained(super id).

Imo, Enneagram is like this, its model serves in a way to describe how one is without giving a explanation for a part that is not very intrinsic to oneself, but where one desires from others.

Anyways given say my 3-5-8 enneagram tritype you could say 3, 5, 8 would be respectively my

Id = 3
    Ego = 5
    Super-ego = 8

All of which aren't that off the description. The super-id is a unconscious desire but it's not really something I produce for others or very adept at so the tritype would more or less explain my strong points as well as my weak points that I consciously control.

If you approach tritype from a Freudian perspective, it can make sense.

TIM
    Fi-SLE 3w9 so/sp
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hkkmr View Post
    Anyways given say my 3-5-8 enneagram tritype you could say 3, 5, 8 would be respectively my

Id = 3
    Ego = 5
    Super-ego = 8

All of which aren't that off the description. The super-id is a unconscious desire but it's not really something I produce for others or very adept at so the tritype would more or less explain my strong points as well as my weak points that I consciously control.
    By that theory then, shouldn't all ILEs be 538? My Ego is and I'm a 7, not a 5. And then you might as well say all SEEs have 8 as a core type, and all LIEs 3, which is obviously not the case.

Enneagram is mean to predict motivation/reaction in a stressed environment. It's more helpful on a personal level so that you can figure out what you need to work on personally. It doesn't do the best job at predicting behavior. It isn't meant to help with relationships. It's very much a personal development tool. I think that's why it seems so "simplistic". People look at it wanting to know every facet of themselves and their relationships with others, and that's just not how it's meant to be used. People of the same type can present very similar and very different behaviors, so people look at them and think, "Wow, this obviously isn't accurate if I'm a 7 AND this guy here is a 7. We're so different!" and then feel the need to over-complicate things with subwings and tritypes and etc.

I also like to think tritypes were made more popular by the enneagram institute so they could make people pay to go to their workshops, but that's just me being cynical.