Thread: Do INTjs suck at job interviews?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default .......

Last edited by soggy-flakes; 08-09-2009 at 02:36 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most definately. I end up saying something wrong, and when I don't I end up not saying anything. I'm horrible at on the spot conversation, especially questions like "What do think you can bring to this company?" and "Where do you see yourself in 5 years?". I'm horribly nervous and I'm sure I give off the "I'm closed off, don't come near me vibe" which tends to turn prospective employers off.

It's not that good when I do get a job either. I always worried that I'm not being sociable enough, which I'm not. I see the other employees making friends with each other and the boss and I worry that unless I can endear myself to some of them (which I can't) I'm going to lose my job. I end up with the attitude of "You don't like me? Well F*ck you." and that makes the situation worse. I need to get to a place where I be my own boss, but I'm not there yet.

Alot of these problems for me have not only to do with being an introvert, but I also because I have social anxiety disorder which makes it even harder in social situations.
    All Hail The Flying Spaghetti Monster

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe Alpha members equate to the most suppressed group of individuals in the 'real world'. To fake our way into a job goes well beyond the call of duty it would seem to me.
    myspace.com/relationship_doctor

"It is the mark of an educated man to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" -Aristotle
    "A person acts most in 'type' be it personal or relational when stressed or under duress." -Lewis (2006)

XXX/xXXx i.e. unclassified and 'thinking outside the box' until i decide to 'retire' to absolute freedom.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis Stern
    I believe Alpha members equate to the most suppressed group of individuals in the 'real world'. To fake our way into a job goes well beyond the call of duty it would seem to me.
    Yeah, because ESFJs and ENTPs have so much trouble in job interviews.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vague
    Rocky's posts are as enjoyable as having wisdom teeth removed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think it has to do with whether an Alpha member can get through a job interview as such. I think it has more to do with playing up to what an interviewer expects to get the job i.e. the hassle of it all.

Naturally I would say the extroverted types deal with it 'easier' then the introverted types. They probably just want to get it over with to secure a job as a means to an end.

"It is the mark of an educated man to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" -Aristotle
    "A person acts most in 'type' be it personal or relational when stressed or under duress." -Lewis (2006)

XXX/xXXx i.e. unclassified and 'thinking outside the box' until i decide to 'retire' to absolute freedom.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis Stern
    I don't think it has to do with whether an Alpha member can get through a job interview as such. I think it has more to do with playing up to what an interviewer expects to get the job i.e. the hassle of it all.
    I think Fe is good at that.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree.

As far as I know, Fe equates to a 'concern for how we relate socially and the roles we play' hence the ability to blend-in and act accordingly.

Creepy-pokeball

Je's prolly =p

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by he died with a felafel
    rocky: wouldn't esfjs be very good at job interviews though?? it couldn't possibly be any different... not that i can imagine at least.

regarding the assumption that Fe people are "best" at interviewing. which types exactly? enfjs alone??
    ahh... of course I was being sarcastic. My sister's ESFJ and she's great at that stuff. I suck. I also think that interviews are stupid because how can you really get to know someone as a person in that kind of setting? Anyway, it seems ExFJs are good at faking it and getting people to trust them.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky
    I also think that interviews are stupid because how can you really get to know someone as a person in that kind of setting?
    You can't, it's called first impression, something I think INTjs may not be very good at.

Creepy-pokeball

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky
    Quote Originally Posted by he died with a felafel
    rocky: wouldn't esfjs be very good at job interviews though?? it couldn't possibly be any different... not that i can imagine at least.

regarding the assumption that Fe people are "best" at interviewing. which types exactly? enfjs alone??
    ahh... of course I was being sarcastic. My sister's ESFJ and she's great at that stuff. I suck. I also think that interviews are stupid because how can you really get to know someone as a person in that kind of setting? Anyway, it seems ExFJs are good at faking it and getting people to trust them.

I agree with the interveiw part sucking. It doesnt always equate to ability. I guess it is 2-fold. I think there is social screening as well as cost/time cutting from using a lot of time to screen for ability (which to me seems silly when used across the board but whatever).

Creepy-pokeball

Well, like I was trying to hint at, not all interveiws are equal. Some employers expect a high turn-over and really dont care.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MBTI: ideally requires a certification although has become 'popular psychology' and mass pirated across the Web.

Socionics Theroem: simply requires a passion for learning and remains an interactive debate driven by the Web. No absolute certification exists.

Creepy-pokeball

"Socionics Theroem: simply requires a passion for learning and remains an interactive debate driven by the Web. No absolute certification exists."

+at this point in time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

indeed, when "the authorities" decide.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

two days before the ordeal i begin "becoming" guy who is good at interviews and because of this i tend to have little difficulty. there are plenty of things that can interupt the process however.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We must do the things we don't wish to do if we want to grow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That would make sense under my Beta Quadra: Klingon Empire model

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

when i saw your name in the most recent poster thing on this thread i was prepared for a story in which your brother got a job by using his gob

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Herzy
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro-the-Lion
    when i saw your name in the most recent poster thing on this thread i was prepared for a story in which your brother got a job by using his gob
    ahh, no. Well, I did help my brother prepare for his first job interview by telling him how to act, and he did end up getting it! We both work at the same place right now, actually.
    Yay for INTjs and ESTps working together!

A Place within a Place in the Universe Where they will never suspect. *Cackles like a witch.*
    TIM
    EII H-Ne
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always plan in advanced multiple times prior to my interview. Even when I do, with the way that I present, there's no guarantee that I will present well. My voice tempo tends to be all over the place. Something about my general, natural awkwardness, and my mind going blank at vital moments. It's a matter of processing what I want to say but on interviews, we don't have the luxury of all the time in the world. I'm prone to putting my foot in my mouth, or using a neutral/unclear tone of voice, and job interviews are no exception. I'm okay with inflection in social settings and with practice.

There are books and articles on how to ace an interview but when putting all the pieces together, what works on paper may not come naturally to everyone. It partially depends on what the employer is looking for, but presentation is a big big part of it. I have gotten some jobs, but my last job search took a little while. Jobs are not easy to come by these days, especially in this economy.
    xII se PoLR, 9w1-5w4-2w3 sp/so

Phlegmatic-Melancholic |RCoAI| Fascinator| Newtype-secondary| LEFVl|

#JusticeforJeb_, Water Sheep did nothing wrong, High Inquisitor Of Council of Water Sheep and Water Sheep's protector

Make things right? Who are we to decide when things are right and when they need to be fixed?

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I'm bad at it when I'm honest. I find myself to be most capable of charisma in new business interactions when I falsely put myself in the dominant position and give little submissive etudes here and there.

Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seems like they're pretty good at getting jobs ime, better than me.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Not normally but they have to be prepared. Some INTjs think they can get by on reputation and or education alone tending to come across as rather arrogant, and these often fair poorly. Some seem to minimise the importance of being perceived as likeable or sociable in order to be accepted into the hive. And there are more than a few who are capable but demonstrate no confidence in their abilities. Unfortunately, many managers hire on the basis of image rather than competence - especially when the manager isn't that technically competent, which happens more often than not....

a.k.a. I/O

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure of my type (see signature for my type thread), but LII has been suggested to me the most here and on other forums.

I've never struggled with interviews (technical or personal) and I've been told by others that I interview well. I've converted over 75% of my interviews to offers (lifetime rate). I anticipate and plan for some specific "tough questions" (context-dependent), but other than that, I'm able to improvise pretty well. I've had interviews where I was clearly deliberately asked "curveball questions", but I was unfazed. I imagine extraverts have the opposite problem of blurting stuff out without properly filtering it.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am very good at it in a way that I always tell myself to be more honest instead of trying to get it before interview. However, when I am in it, I am prepared and ready, I just give them the answers that they are looking for. I make lots of studying and research before interviews, so even if they ask me a question, I am not prepared for, I can use the things I have been prepared by gauging their expectation or come up with something on that spot.

I only get rejected once, in that period, I wasn't looking for a job, I wanted to stay in my workplace for different reasons. So I haven't prepared like I always do and due to other circumstances I was 5-min late, being late to these kind of things has a negative affect on me. It was a new company and a new field that they haven't had any experience on it, so interviewers didn't know what they are looking for, hence I couldn't even gauge their response. I didn't want to work in that field, however, if I got it, they would probably pay me a lot so I would accept it. So at the end, getting rejected worked for me.

In my point of view, sometimes getting rejected works for you in the long run. Because if your approach and your potential supervisor's approach aren't compatible, it is better to not get that job. You can find a job where your actual approach is appreciated, so you can thrive there. Hence, if you can skip HR, etc but suck at when you have an interview with your potential supervisor, then it is good that you "suck".
    Last edited by myresearch; 08-11-2021 at 02:28 AM.

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I think it is important to break the ice. So you should ask "Are you a serial murderer?" or something when the interview begins.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it depends on the job. I think a normal coding interview or something assessing technical skills they could do fine.

There are some recruiters or hiring managers that you can tell just hire on personality alone and may overlook the INTj for not being who they want as a friend or something.
    The Barnum or Forer effect is the tendency for people to judge that general, universally valid statements about personality are actually specific descriptions of their own personalities. A "universally valid" statement is one that is true of everyone—or, more likely, nearly everyone. It is not known why people tend to make such misjudgments, but the effect has been experimentally reproduced.

The psychologist Paul Meehl named this fallacy "the P.T. Barnum effect" because Barnum built his circus and dime museum on the principle of having something for everyone. It is also called "the Forer effect" after its discoverer, the psychologist Bertram R. Forer, who modestly dubbed it "the fallacy of personal validation".