Thread: Ne/Si - Suggestive Function

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Default Ne/Si - Suggestive Function

This topic discusses how frequently used the Si/Ne suggestive function is and its potential strength. If you wish to discuss other suggestive functions that is fine as well.

//Well, I accidentally stated that ISTps have a PoLR due to model confusion, but I will leave it here in order to understand the suggestive function more.//

I wrote: I'm going to talk about my experience with one of them. I have a very good ISTp friend, which is probably the only pen pal that I still talk to. He has a tendency to envision the worst possibility if a situation arises that appears hidden and filled with deception. I tend to view the same situation and regard the possibility that fills in all the gaps and I am usually right. Anyways, I have no problem having a theoretical discussion with him on any level and we are able to discuss future possibilities and mystic occuranceswith understanding and appreciation. This made me believe that he was intuitive, but now I'm 95% sure he's an ISTp and he believes he is as well. The belief that all sensors can't learn theoretical information or won't enjoy it is pure hogwash.

Anndelise wrote: I have found that Si in 1st position tend to use Ne a heck of a lot. Perhaps not quite to the extent that I use it, but I love their Ne-ish jokes.

I wrote: Yeah that's true and that is why I have no problem discussing anything with an ISTp no matter how strange or weird it appears. Yeah me and my ISTp pen pal randomly use Ne jokes in a contininous manner and have a laugh fest.

Nicky wrote: What are "Ne" jokes?

An "Ne" joke tends to be discussing a regular situation and throwing out of proportion. Mostly exaggerating something that is slightly strange and creating a situation based on that mild peculiarity into something that is completely bizzarre and hilarious.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Ne/Si - Suggestive Function

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler
    This topic discusses how frequently used the Si/Ne suggestive function is and its potential strength. If you wish to discuss other suggestive functions that is fine as well.

//Well, I accidentally stated that ISTps have a polR due to model confusion, but I will leave it here in order to understand the suggestive function more.//

I wrote: I'm going to talk about my experience with one of them. I have a very good ISTp friend, which is probably the only pen pal that I still talk to. He has a tendency to envision the worst possibility if a situation arises that appears hidden and filled with deception. I tend to view the same situation and regard the possibility that fills in all the gaps and I am usually right. Anyways, I have no problem having a theoretical discussion with him on any level and we are able to discuss future possibilities and mystic occuranceswith understanding and appreciation. This made me believe that he was intuitive, but now I'm 95% sure he's an ISTp and he believes he is as well. The belief that all sensors can't learn theoretical information or won't enjoy it is pure hogwash.

Anndelise wrote: I have found that Si in 1st position tend to use Ne a heck of a lot. Perhaps not quite to the extent that I use it, but I love their Ne-ish jokes.

I wrote: Yeah that's true and that is why I have no problem discussing anything with an ISTp no matter how strange or weird it appears. Yeah me and my ISTp pen pal randomly use Ne jokes in a contininous manner and have a laugh fest.

Nicky wrote: What are "Ne" jokes?

An "Ne" joke tends to be discussing a regular situation and throwing out of proportion. Mostly exaggerating something that is slightly strange and creating a situation based on that mild peculiarity into something that is completely bizzarre and hilarious.
    I'd like to add to this that Ni's CAN do this...but don't really...get it going...without an Ne/Si's help.

And some Se types seem to dislike regular use of this type of humor.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK yeah we joke like that.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh I get it. OH Yeah I do that all the time. Thats my life. Dont get me started. I'll take any situation and just run with it straight to the heights of insanity. It scares me when someone takes what I thought was an 'Ne' joke serious. Even though I may have said something with a straight face I think its so bizzare that no one should believe it to be true. Then I met an ISFJ and I realized I have to be careful.

edit/ I think thats why I like ISFJs though. Even when they know I joke around alot I can still catch them off guard

Topaz
    The artifact which is the source of my power will not be kept on the Mountain of Despair beyond the River of Fire guarded by the Dragons of Eternity. It will be in my safe-deposit box. The same applies to the object which is my one weakness.

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Topaz
    Oh I get it. OH Yeah I do that all the time. Thats my life. Dont get me started. I'll take any situation and just run with it straight to the heights of insanity. It scares me when someone takes what I thought was an 'Ne' joke serious. Even though I may have said something with a straight face I think its so bizzare that no one should believe it to be true. Then I met an ISFJ and I realized I have to be careful.

edit/ I think thats why I like ISFJs though. Even when they know I joke around alot I can still catch them off guard
    ISFj's tend to give a very bizzare face when I behave in that manner almost as if they took it seriously. After a while, they tend to freak out and view me as someone that needs to be in an insane asylum.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hehe

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just know that when I'm in a good mood and I'm joking around, then...
    INTp smirks - mildly amused
    INFj laughs - seems very amused
    ISFj laughs - looks like it's somehow refreshing to him
    ISFp stares at me - thinks I'm insane, but says nothing. :wink:

Can you give an example Ne-joke?
    EIE, ENFj, intuitive subtype.
    E3 (probably 3w4)

Cool ILI hubbys are better than LSIs any time!

Old blog: http://firsttimeinusa.blogspot.com/
    New blog: http://having-a-kid.blogspot.com/

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kristiina

Points to the "good vs evil" thread.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Anndelise
    Are you saying I wouldn't understand a Ne-joke?
    E3 (probably 3w4)

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, I'm just saying that I made quite a number of them during that thread.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmmmm its hard to do on request because it just comes out spontaneously.
    OK so I have a thread hanging and someone (ISFJ) says "Youve got a loose thread" and she goes to pull it. " I know. Dont pull it" I say with a serious expression. "All my clothes will fall off!"
    The ISFJ is shocked, immobolized, puzzled. Then she's realizes Im just messing with her and luaghs.
    It all happens so quick that she doesnt have time to come to grips with the fact that Im exagerating the results.
    It sound lame written out but the idea is to hit someone with something with an exagerated probability quickly, it takes a moment to figure out whats happening.
    Think of Jerry Sinefeld. He exagerates common things all the time. It hillarious. "I think people should drive their age. If youre 80, go 80."

Topaz
    The artifact which is the source of my power will not be kept on the Mountain of Despair beyond the River of Fire guarded by the Dragons of Eternity. It will be in my safe-deposit box. The same applies to the object which is my one weakness.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anndelise
    No, I'm just saying that I made quite a number of them during that thread.
    Haha... I'll take another look. I guess I was in the debate-mode and didn't notice much else.

*Kristiina wouldn't understand a Ne-joke.
    E3 (probably 3w4)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Topaz

hmmmm its hard to do on request because it just comes out spontaneously.
    OK so I have a thread hanging and someone (ISFJ) says "Youve got a loose thread" and she goes to pull it. " I know. Dont pull it" I say with a serious expression. "All my clothes will fall off!"
    The ISFJ is shocked, immobolized, puzzled. Then she's realizes Im just messing with her and luaghs.
    It all happens so quick that she doesnt have time to come to grips with the fact that Im exagerating the results.
    It sound lame written out but the idea is to hit someone with something with an exagerated probability quickly, it takes a moment to figure out whats happening.
    Think of Jerry Sinefeld. He exagerates common things all the time. It hillarious. "I think people should drive their age. If youre 80, go 80."
    Your joke was funny. (I can imagine the circumstances and I would laugh). But I've never really had any appreciation for Seinfeld.
    E3 (probably 3w4)

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In an Ne thread a little bit ago, Drake offered a scenario in an effort to prove his point, he wrote: If you see a 6 year old, blue haired, in a white dress girl, crying and with a bleeding ankle, because she fell from a bike, how do you feel?

Diana responded with: I think I'd put a band-aid on her ankle and help her up, but I would wonder why her hair is blue. That would probably bug me for awhile, and I'd come up with various reasons as to it being that way, might even make up a whole story in my head about it.

This a pretty good description of Ne jokes. We notice or create absurdities, and then take them all the way, as if they were "real".

One was tossing in some oddball bit of "info"...the blue hair. The other caught it, and wanted to focus on that and the story that could be behind a little girl having blue hair. An entire story will come out from one little piece of strange information.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HA! thats correct. A girl just walked into my office and we chatted about her travel plans (I handle the travel arrangements). I asked her where she was from and she said Alaska.
    Me--" Alaska?, OMG nobody is from Alaska, where your parents eskimos? (clearly not, shes caucasian)
    She --"No, infact I was taken there when I was 3. I was born in Vallejo, Ca"
    Me--"Vallejo?!"
    My expression makes her start laughing
    I know. They really liked the place. she says. It was the 70s.
    Me--"Thats worse than Alaska. Thats insane"
    Shes laughing " Guess what? My middle name is Vallejo."
    Me -"No WAy, are you serious. Thats crazy. Your parents are hippies"
    she- I know LOL,.
    Me -- but this is a good opportunity. You could make up great stories. "I was kidnapped by Indians and raised in a reservation. They called me Vallejo. When my parents found me they had to kidnapp me back and named me Heather. I still kept Vallejo as my middle name."
    She---LOL
    Me ---It could be worse. What if they lived in Vacaville or Walnut Creek. Youd be such a freak. Vallejo is not that bad as a middle name. Just dont think of the city. You could be Oakland girl. It could be much worse.".....
    She -- runs out laughing.

Topaz

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anndelise
    In an Ne thread a little bit ago, Drake offered a scenario in an effort to prove his point, he wrote: If you see a 6 year old, blue haired, in a white dress girl, crying and with a bleeding ankle, because she fell from a bike, how do you feel?

Diana responded with: I think I'd put a band-aid on her ankle and help her up, but I would wonder why her hair is blue. That would probably bug me for awhile, and I'd come up with various reasons as to it being that way, might even make up a whole story in my head about it.

This a pretty good description of Ne jokes. We notice or create absurdities, and then take them all the way, as if they were "real".

One was tossing in some oddball bit of "info"...the blue hair. The other caught it, and wanted to focus on that and the story that could be behind a little girl having blue hair. An entire story will come out from one little piece of strange information.
    It's weird... I consider that normal talk. I like it when the talk goes outside the borders or normality, but I don't find it funny. I find it pleasant.
    E3 (probably 3w4)

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Here is one, it's not the best example but it should suffice, at work when I'm bored I sometimes say this to my pupils:

Me: Okay, that was a very excellent front crawl and you positioned your fingers correctly and remember to maintain more efficient kicking. Now that were finished with that, it's time for you to learn how to fly.

Student: What?

Me: Yeah, it's not that hard, it took me a while to train and develop this ability, but you have to bend down and then jump up with the right positioning. Also, remember to flap your hands every 1.2 seconds.

Student: (Attempts to fly by jumping in a strange manner)

Me: Just Kidding.

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do any of you guys use Ne jokes to vent off anger?

Like this: I once told my husband how awkward it was to get to town with the pram, in the streetcars, during rush hour. People don't pay attention to prams; they just overlook you. "I gently ploughed my way through shouting 'sorry, excuse me' and smiling cheerfully. Next time I'll hire a beadle with a huge bell: 'Make way! Make way for Cat and her pram!' If that doesn't work, I'll get myself a fireworks display, huge flashing lights, a Russian babushka and four bodyguards. THEN if that doesn't work I'll produce a perfume that smells like 'nappy full of diarrhoea', and I'll say loudly "ooooh, sweetie, that smells nasty... if people don't make way for us soon, I'll have to change your nappy in here, won't I?" If that doesn't work, I'll get that James Bond technician to put a few gadgets on my pram. A few spikes and stuff."

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by schrödinger's cat
    I use it to vent off anger, to attempt to relieve a potentially stressful "discussion", as well as to give a different outlook to issues I or someone else is dealing with.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by schrödinger's cat
    It depends on the situation and the person. There have even been instances where I even catalyzed anger or reinforce it through Ne jokes.

//Aside// I have the belief that duality works not because Ne seeks Si for example, but because insufficient Ne seeks strong Ne and insufficient Si seeks strong Si if you know what I mean. Also, it also gives rise to a deep understanding between the partners, since they are familiar with the function and they wish to develop their own.

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5